Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Shutter Island

Twisty, disturbing Scorsese thriller too intense for most.

Adult Written byEzio6 March 19, 2012

A masterpiece

I think this may be one of the best movies ever made. Dicaprio is brilliant and the story is almost to good. A bit inappropriate for kids, because of violent flashbacks and the story could be a bit to confusing if you do not pay close attention during the movie. In my opinion, it is a masterpiece for everyone over 16
Adult Written byJoe J. March 9, 2017

Good cinematography and atmosphere. Story is just good.

Adult Written bychristian2011 July 23, 2017

Plot-twisting, intense Martin Scorsese film that brings its own interesting perspective on mental illness.

Shutter Island is one of Martin Scorsese's most unique films that not only showcases Leonardo DiCaprio's highly versatile acting skills but a very well-made psychological thriller with ambiguous scenarios that keep the viewers' minds fixated on the possible outcomes of almost every scene that transpires throughout the film. It's about a U.S. Marshal and his partner who travel on a ferry to go to investigate a patient escapee at Ashecliffe Hospital, an insane asylum that harbors the most dangerous, mentally disturbed patients, regarded as criminally insane and a threat to their own society. The island is operated and lead by numerous psychiatrists who have their own methodology on how they choose to treat their patients, either via medication, therapy, or surgery, invasive or non-invasive. Honestly, Shutter Island is not for the faint of heart, since it revolves around dark subject matter such as people suffering from severe forms of mental illness that resulted in gruesome homicides (including a woman who murdered her own young children), schizophrenia, manic-depressive disorder, suicide, nightmarish hallucinations, psychosis, etc. Language is infrequent but strong in this film (couple uses of the f-word and crude anatomical terms). There's no sex or graphic nudity shown in this film. The main form of "drug use" in this film are scenes where patients are given medications and sedatives to help suppress their condition. Shutter Island is a darkly entertaining film that brings out your own ideologies about what's possibly happening throughout the film until it all culminates in the end. If your teenage children can handle the intense subject matter realistically shown in this film, then Shutter Island shouldn't be an issue.

Adult Written byChris U. March 3, 2019

Adult Written bySzymon J. April 29, 2017

Nothing!

Absolutley nothing!
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 March 6, 2014

Twisty, with an old fashioned noir feel to it!

Only good results can happen when Leo and Marty make a picture, and this formula is solidified with "Shutter Island;" the name alone makes you think of a Bogart-esque 40's film, right? The scenery and lighting are impeccable, along with that score, that incredible orchestra score that haunts the film, placing the viewer right in the middle of this mental asylum and forcing them to peek around the corner like Leo and Mark Ruffalo do. The plot twist was interesting, and wrapped things up nicely, but the real gift here is seeing vets like Max von Sydow and Jackie Earl Haley and seeing them get into some seriously juicy character roles. Leo is great too, bringing his usual emotional intensity to a role that demands QUITE a lot of it.

Adult Written bywonder dove May 3, 2013

Truly exceptional!

The first time I watched this movie, it was quite confusing. I had to search movie reviews to better understand what the story was about. After knowing more, I ended up loving it! It's one of those brilliantly made psychological thrillers that makes you really think and you have to watch the movie very carefully, preferably twice to really understand and catch all the clues. It's eerie and dark in a mysterious atmosphere with creepy sound effects that really hit the spot and sets the mood. It's also sad too because you get to experience a little of what it's like in a mental institution and what one may be going through. If you're watching for the first time and didn't fully understand the story, look it up and read other people's interpretations, it helps so that when you watch it again it makes a lot more sense! Very enjoyable movie! Leo is (once again) amazing! Loved all the actors. Violence is pretty strong and has shootings, dead bodies including children, children who drowned, needles used as weapons, fires, scary images and dream flashbacks of frightening events. Sexual content just has some kissing of a married couple, nude prisoners (mainly shadowed) and we hear a couple "f" words and c*ck in a sexual way. Language is also strong with plenty of "f" words and other harsh words. Some drinking, lots of smoking and some prescription pills used. I think it's fine for 15+ viewers but it does make you think so it may be boring for teens! Adults will love.

Adult Written bybabygirl92293 May 7, 2012

the movie

i watched part of this movie at my aunts house on the 4th of july like 2 years a go...it was ok until the failed suicide part where the guy tried to kill himself... and his head was half blown off but he was still alive... i couldnt watch it anymore after that because 4 months earlier my friend committed suicide by shooting himself... and i had a nightmare about that... i

Adult Written byConverge July 22, 2011

IFFY

It was okay for me, but not for children. It is very violent, and even gory at times. So i would be very careful, even for yourself. If you can't handel shows like CSI, or Criminal Minds, this is not your movie.

Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace June 5, 2011

Intense

Once a kid is a teenager you should seriously consider letting them watch this movie. Shutter Island is one of the best mind twisters I have seen. That being said, some people are more affected by explorations into psychology than others. Procedures such as lobotomies can be very scary, even for adults. No one wants to go insane.

Adult Written byThatRussianYakAttack December 31, 2010

The Only Reason Not to Like This Movie Is If You Don't Have the Brains to Get It

It's a very intelligent plot. Scorsese, DiCaprio and Kingsley did marvelously, making this film my favorite movie of all time. Ignore everyone who say it's a bad film. The only reason they don't like it is because they're too ignorant to understand it. Some people just don't like movies that make them think too much.
Parent of a 3 and 14 year old Written byVAstuart22 December 9, 2010

Weird

The most confusing movie ever, it was psycological. I personaly didnt like it but watch it for storyline. that was pretty good.

Adult Written by2Simple October 30, 2010

Pretty good horror flick!

A wonderful thriller for teens and adults. It makes you think; it's not just some chainsaw guy chopping people up. This is very deep, and requires at least 2 viewings. Not for kids, though.

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

Excellent, stylish, haunting thriller

This is a one of a kind movie. With stylish visuals, haunting and disturbing imagery, amazing performances, and strong story, this twisty, dark psychological thriller should satisfy your viewing pleasure. Parents: Warning: there is a great deal of distress and suspense in this movie, including disturbing images like drowned children and executed soldiers. There's salty language and some male nudity. Bottom Line: A great, classic-feeling thriller that doesn't rely on gratuitous gore or sex to draw attention to itself. Bravo, Martin Scorsese. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

Parent of a 11 year old Written byJenoi July 22, 2010

Though certainly not for kids, this was a good movie

Though certainly not for kids, this was a good movie, not as creepy as I thought it would be.

Parent of a 10, 10, 16, 17, and 18+ year old Written bytheguy July 20, 2010
this movie was very good but in this review i will tell you what is in this this movie. first in one scene you kids drowned in the lake the father crys dramatically and the mom says the can eat with us and give them baths they can be our little dolls before that you see the kids agin but with tones of blood of them these scens can be very depressing. in another scene you see a nazi with a chunk of his head open and is bleeding all over the floor. you can also see a scene where a tone of nazi men and the main character starts shooting them up the last main disturbing scene is when you see tons of dead nazi bodies stacked up on each other and this could unsettle some people lastly the main character smokes soo much in this movie

Parent of a 12 year old Written byALPACINO July 12, 2010

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 23, 2010

Heavy movie... very good

I loved this movie. I won't let any of my kids watch it. The fact that it's rated R, means that kids shouldn't be watching it. My parents would have let me watch it, but I saw The Exorcist at age 7, so that doesn't really count. It's a psychological thriller, so teenagers might not get that part of it. But the themes just aren't really for kids to watch. So, teenagers fifteen and older watching this doesn't really bother me, but I would say definitely not any younger than that.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 20, 2010

17 and up.

shutter island is a disturbing boring thriller movie that's best for adults the violence is intense and disturbing for example they show piles of dead bodies floating in the water also a lot of American soldiers killed one by one by the Nazi guards in close-up and what's more disturbing is that they show dead children floating in blood water there's also scary images shown there's no sex but there's one partial nudity in one scene a male's bottom is shown at the jail cell there's strong language used and some drinking, smoking, and drugs used.

Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

A scare that stays with you.

Many horror movies today are full of "jump scares," where things pop out at you. Once you leave the theater, you are fine and over it already. But this movie is one of those that leaves a mark in your mind, so that you're still thinking as you get in the car and drive home. It's scary without being overtly "in-your-face." I highly recommend for anyone who loves thrillers and horror movies. It's probably too intense for kids, unless they like this kind of thing. There's some nudity, but they are prisoners in the cells and in the shadows so you can't see much.