All member reviews for Sideways

Excellent but explicit movie is not for kids.

Adult Written byreader1222 April 9, 2008

Not a barrel of laughs.

My husband and I saw this film. From watching the previews and ads on TV, we thought it was going to be more of a slapstick type comedy, so we were surprised that it was really more of a drama or situational type comedy. We are both over 40 and could sort of relate to the characters....younger people might not appreciate the characters' motivations. We were not offended by the language or nudity, but some people might be. This is definitely not a movie for children or teenagers.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

kind of depressing

I took my 16 year old to see this movie. What a mistake! She hated it and all the people in it. At her age, she simply doesn't have the life experience to understand the angst 40 year old people can have when they realize their life is not going the way they had planned. She was disdainful, not sympathetic, towards the characters. That's why this movie should only be seen by people over age 25--the themes are simply too adult for younger groups.
Adult Written byjoeybombotz April 9, 2008

Very good!eenjoyable to watch.

Adult Written bykitode April 9, 2008

Hollywood does like stories about self-destructive actors and writers

This was an okay movie: what it did, it did well. But it wasn't anything new. Two young guys go out on the town before a wedding and overdo it has become two middle-aged guys go out on the Wine Country for a week before a wedding and overdo it. The movie is about obsessions and addictions, written for the POV of the middle-aged. Instead of being a techie whiz, the guy's a wine whiz. It's not good for kids because it's just too jaded and harsh (and it's too formulaic to be worth that).
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 18, 2014

Wine, women and everything inbetween

Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church have dynamic chemistry in Payne's road trip movie, a genre he and I both apparently have a soft spot for. This is often cited as his masterpiece, but "The Descendants" is still one of my all-time favorites, though I can see the acclaim this movie garnered. It's very character-driven, and Giamatti really expresses midlife frustration and depression in general very well. Haden is his opposite, his old college roommate always looking for a thrill with the ladies. The soundtrack was jazzy and fun, the performances layered and it has some very funny, very adult moments that make this for the older teens.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAlexander Parker August 20, 2011

One of the best films of all time. Sideways is perfect in nearly every way giving a compelling dramatic story, with some comic relief. One of the best of the 00s.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byabrahm January 30, 2011

Sidways

way too sexual for most children. Good movie though
Adult Written byAngeFaitore April 9, 2008

I Love Sideways

Sideways is this decade's Forrest Gump or Dirty Dancing. The movie has received many nominations and awards (Although I don't agree with the Academy Awards committee snubbing Paul Giamatti. NOT FAIR!). A lot of people think that wine is a big, deep part of this movie, but I see it as more or less a prop that brings the characters and relationships of the movie together. I was really surprised that this movie did not receive an NC-17 rating because they show a male full frontal and usually full frontal MALE nudity qualifies as an NC-17 for any film, but obviously the MPAA decided that they were too in love with the movie and opted for an R rating. I wouldn't recommend this film to families who are into Fundamental Christianity or families who have issues with moral values. I was 19 when I first saw this movie and I saw it again after I turned 20 in January. I loved the film, but then again, I'm a huge fan of Thomas Haden Church and I wouldn't have seen it if Thomas weren't in it!
Adult Written bybassisland April 9, 2008

A smart, touching, funny movie, somewhat overpraised...

Sideways is a lovely film with terrific performances by Paul Giamatti (who should have been Oscar nominated) and the other three members of the ensemble. I do think the movie was overly praised by the crtitics. It's an excellent, but not great, film.