All member reviews for Signs

Excellent, but has some extreme tension and peril.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byheather.parker December 13, 2010

Waiting till they're older

I thought this was a great movie, but a little scary for kids.
Kid, 10 years old October 5, 2010

good but scary

extremely good movie but still very scary
Teen, 14 years old Written byRivern September 30, 2010

Suspenseful Alien Flick

Mel Gibson has always been somewhat of an acting idol to me, and he fails to disappoint me in this movie. The fact that he made the father seem so real amazes me -- not many actors could pull off his part as beautifully as he did. However, Gibson isn't the only genius in this work of art. Shyamalan has created a strangely touching alien flick in which I thought to be virtually impossible. Brilliantly portrayed through series of brilliant actors, he has really outdone himself this time with the release of Signs. Both smart and intriguing, this must be the best of all movies relating to extra terrestrials I have ever seen. The scariest asset of all in this movie is the unknown; you can never quite tell what is around the corner and what it's all about, making it a most enjoyable experience. A message to parents: This isn't violent or as bad as some younger children around here are trying to tell you it is; most are not allowed to see anything above this age level and are trying to seem cool. The language is moderately coarse, yet it never gets out of hand. It's nothing your child/children don't hear in public or at school. This may give your child/children nightmares or scare them, so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under eleven or twelve, as there are a few disturbing scenes such as two kids finding the corpse of a dog with a grill fork lodged in its neck. (not bloody or too disturbing) A message to kids: If you are sensitive to death or have had certain horrors in your past such as witnessing someone you love die or are frightened by many things, I would recommend waiting until you are older to view this film. It will not give you comfort and it will not bring warmth to you, only an odd feeling of insecurity and suspense. Suggested MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13 for Language, Thematic Elements, Scary Situations and Some Disturbing Images.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process January 6, 2011

Good story, but a bad script, and completely unrealistic.

I don't see how this was supposed to be a great movie. Don't get me wrong...The story was great, and so were the concepts, but the dialogue was so poorly written that I couldn't take the rest of the movie seriously. People say "smart" things to each other, but they're totally unrealistic. In a moment of fear and crisis, Mel Gibson says "I want a cheeseburger with bacon." Then he gets mad and steals some of his kids' food, then cries. Seriously? At the beginning of the movie, I felt that too much was happening too quickly. It was very interesting, but it could have been done in a better way. The actors' lines are designed to sound smart, but nobody would actually talk like that if they were in that situation. Also, the suspenseful action seems to stop just so Daddy can tell his kids how they were born. It's supposed to sound touching, but it could have been so much better. The kids seem way too fearless. The end of the earth is near, and the look on their faces just seems too numb. Mel Gibson's acting is OK, but it could have been more convincing if they gave him better lines. The presence of great-movie potential was there, but it seems like they randomly start talking about random stuff at the wrong moments. They talk about great symbolic things, but it's at the wrong moment! But on the bright side, the story is really good (it just could have presented better) and it had some suspenseful edge-of-your-seat moments.
Parent Written byMoviesAlright June 27, 2011

Great Movie

It is a little scary but I think my kids can watch but only the ones that are older than the age of 9. There is a little bit of launguage but if your kid has seen Independence Day or Edward Scissorhands than this movie is fine.
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2010

I thought it was great! im11, thought the movie was creepy, but not so that a mature enough kid couldnt hav watched it. It has very mild languge, nothing any one over the age of 10 hasnt heard b4. it was violent at some parts but not enough so that a 9 or 10 year old couldnt see. not for anyone 9& under. I watched it a month ago, rewatched it at 10 last night and had no trouble sleeping afterward. not for any one who gets scared easyily. i love scary movies! first time i watched it was scaryer and second time i watched it i almost cryed because its a sad movie. scary but not to much!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAdept August 22, 2010

The Scariest Things are Those You Don't See...

Signs is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's actually not violent. The most graphic scene was when we see a knife sticking out of a dog, but the actual stabbing isn't shown. You see characters faces, but you rarely see what terrifies them. And that makes it all the scarier. The best part of this movie isn't the creepiness, (though Shymalan does an excellent job with it,) it's the message. This is, in many ways, a religious movie. (Shymalan isn't a Christian (too my knowledge,) but he does respect the idea of providence, which plays a large part in his thriller.) I think that that actually strengthens this film. It adds a whole lot of depth to the characters, and helps the story. I personally loved this movie, and think that it is worth seeing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp April 4, 2011

great movie!

Wow. PG-13 for "scariness"? That's not the real MPAA Rating! real mpaa rating: PG-13 for some frightening moments. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for frightening moments, some violence, and intense peril.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2010

should be rated r, like paul blart. like, really, is language such a minor issue that a movie with strong language is only pg-13 or pg? cmon, thats dtupid. now on to the actual movie review-not for kids. it gave my friends nightmares (when they were 10 or 11) its filled with violence, like a violent acident or a dog with a pitchfork sticking out of its chest. and language count-3 s--ts,1 d--n, 3 a-ses, one b---h, and like 3 h--ls. so i think its pretty strong (the movie with the strongest language ive ever seen at least) and some kids might have seen or played worse stuff and think this movies language is "mild" but to those kids parents it wont be.
Adult Written byTracyeMay August 14, 2010

Very suspenseful. Supernatural. Sci fi

Disturbing plot. Scary. Don't see any real violence, other than the dog being stabbed. Just very very suspenseful. Characters do jump out. My favorite M Night. Joaquin Phoenix does an amazing job, even though Mel Gibson is the star.
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2010

Perfect for 11 year olds

This is a great movie. Some parts can be creepy.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2010

My favorite alien flick

Signs is alien sci-fi at its best. I watched it the other day, and i really liked it. Expect intense peril, several terrifying scenes and images, some non-graphic violence, and some swearing.
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2011

Intense,violent, emotional good time

This is a scary movie. I am a horror movie junkie. This wasn't that bad. I watched it with my mom- a melodramatic nonhorror movie fan- so she exagerated scenes. An aliens fingers get chopped off. U all of a sudden see this really tall alien walk up. A kid is backing up and an aliens arm grabs them. Emotional scenes for example when the main characters wife is stuck between a car and a tree and the husband has to say good bye because the paramedics cant help her. a father is mad because they eat theyre favorite meal thinking that it was there last meal and no one will eat it. A creepy movie but not to bad. Talks about love in a family and friends alot. I know corny. Good movie though.
Kid, 12 years old July 26, 2010

not for kids.

how is this not R? for one thing, mel gibson acts in it, and he's a bad role model, then, its language. it didnt get a language warning from the mpaa so when we heard constant language we were like shame on you mpaa. also its scary (did i even have to say it) and violent (a boy killing his dog with a grill fork)
Kid, 10 years old June 28, 2010

this is the most innapropriate movie ive ever seen. its like paul blart, wich should have a higher rating, but its not good at all. it has at least a dozen cuss words(most of them are on the strong side) and it has violent and frightening images like a dog with a pitchfork in its chest and dried blood on it, or a car crash scene. not for kids.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2011

This movie is "contaminated" with scares that had me screaming!

This was one of my first scary movies. I loved it and relished the chills. The aliens are really good in this;it's probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. M. Night Shyamalan has some awesome scary flicks that you might want to catch.
Adult Written byjesus3boy April 24, 2009

not violent really, just scarry
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News April 11, 2011

Scary and fun.

Violence- 8/10 Good Messages- 9/10 Good Role Models- 10/10 Overall Quality- 9.5/10
Kid, 11 years old July 25, 2010

It wasnt scary at all. A few people in the comments are saying its "scary" If your like 7 yeah maybe. But yeah, its not scary at all, and is very good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Good

I liked this movie. It was o.k. Yeah it did scare me quite a bit but I was to Weird. It dose keep you at the edge of your seat!