All member reviews for Silver Linings Playbook

Offbeat dramedy mixes light and dark; some intense moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 November 30, 2012

SLP

Fantastic movie. 2nd best film of 2012 so far- 1: The Perks of Being a Wallflower 2: This 3: Looper 4: Wreck-It Ralph 5: Moonrise Kingdom 6: The Master 7: Seven Psychopaths 8: Argo 9: Skyfall 10: Beasts of the Southern Wild Honorable Mentions- The Dark Knight Rises, ParaNorman, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Jeff Who Lives at Home.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 6, 2013

Cooper and Lawrence shine bright in dark places

This (mature, with very strong language) movie had me cheering by the end. An original story of two misfits finding gradual love with each other and getting better as it goes along is infinitely touching. Lawrence, extremely sexy, shedding her "Katniss" persona completely, makes a lovably stubborn leading lady to Cooper's troubled protagonist. De Niro also is great as a father who just wants the best for his son, but can't quite show it through his die-hard Eagles superstitions overshadowing everything in his life. And even though he adds almost nothing to the plot, I really loved Chris Tucker's small but comical role.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybuzzybee January 13, 2013

AMAZING

I watched this film and me, being clinically diagnosed as bipolar type II, could really understand the fustration and bitterness in the film... however it is very mature and i would strongly advise a parent for a child under 13 to watch this before thier child does to see how their child could take it. in my opinion children under 15 wouldnt even know what the disorder is anyways.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion February 17, 2013

A Raw Romantic Comedy...Absolutely Incredible

There are some movies you watch and you know the second you see them that they will become iconic. Think of movies like The Breakfast Club, or Pulp Fiction, or It's a Wonderful Life, movies that almost everyone has seen and everyone holds close to their heart. Silver Linings Playbook will be one of those movies. Trust me. It's a romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies. It's uplifting, inspirational, and heartrending while circumventing all the usual pathways to those emotions. It isn't manipulative or cheesy in the least. It's a powerful movie about love, family, and relationships. While this movie isn't for everybody in the family, it is a movie I would highly encourage older teens to watch because of its positive messages. Silver Linings is all about individuals' struggles with self-esteem and relating to those around them (especially when mental illness is an inhibitor), and it offers healthy lessons about overcoming adversity and valuing those close to you. It's a great movie for teens and their parents to watch together. The reason the movie is rated R is profanity. There are around 50 "f" words, some used sexually, but the profanity never feels excessive and is used quite appropriately in most situations (as appropriately as profanity can be used; remember, this movie doesn't gloss over its characters' bad habits). Sex is never shown, but it's implied a woman cheats on her husband with a co-worker in the husband's shower (her bare backside is shown briefly through the shower door), and a woman talks about how she tried to cope with her husband's death by sleeping with everybody in her office (including the women, she says, although it's possible the whole story is an exaggeration meant to shock). Violence is minor. Several people get punched. The main character's mental disorders aggravates him in several situations. In one he kicks a man's face, and in the other he gets in a brief scuffle with his father after accidentally hitting his mother while moving manically. This movie is rough in a couple of situations, but all of the questionable content is justified by the plot and characters. It's hands-down the best movie of the year, and it yields incredible rewards for those who watch it (including teens whose parents deem in appropriate).
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez February 6, 2013

Silver Lings Playbook

Despite swearing Silver Linings Playbook is good for teens and up. I saw it with my dad and I loved it. It is very well wrote.
Parent Written byShivom Oza February 20, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Several Silver Linings On Show!

‘Silver Linings Playbook’ has received eight Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director (David O. Russell). It has also managed to bag all the nominations in the four acting categories for Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver. The film is about a dysfunctional family, or rather families, and imperfect individuals. The film encompasses three genres – romance, comedy and drama. The best aspect about the film is that it does not paint a rosy picture about any character’s life. Instead, it dwells upon imperfections and harsh realities. Jennifer Lawrence delivers one of the best performances of the year in a film, which is filled with powerhouse performers. The film is brutally truthful when it comes to highlighting problems and is equivalently delightful when it comes to offering solutions. Quite easily, the ‘SLICE-OF-LIFE’ film of the year. After an eight-month stint in a mental institution, Pat Soliano (Bradley Cooper), who has had a history of physical assaults, emotional outbursts, rocky equations with wife Nikki (Brea Bee), moves back in with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) and Dolores (Jackie Weaver), and tries to get his act together (which includes getting back with his estranged, unfaithful ex-wife). Pat Sr. and Dolores are facing financial problems of their own in addition to dealing with their son’s mental instability. Then, Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), who happens to be his ex-wife Nikki’s best friend Veronica’s (Julia Stiles) younger sister. Tiffany’s husband loses his life in a car crash and this creates devastating repercussions on her mental health. The film is about how the two unstable individuals, Pat and Tiffany, bond and help each other get over their tumultuous pasts! There are uncomfortable instances, notably the ugly physical altercation between Pat and his father, Tiffany’s emotional outbursts at Pat, Pat’s desperation to reconcile with his ex-wife, which will make you cringe and move you at the same time. The story at different points will evoke different emotions – sadness, anger, helplessness, laughter, contentment and in the end, that little bit of redemption! David O. Russell’s screenplay has been adapted from the novel of the same name by Matthew Quick. The film is not just about a closer-to-reality story and terrific performances. It is as much about brilliant technical achievement in editing, cinematography, choreography and music composing. Cooper’s and Lawrence’s imperfect dance-piece in the climactic moments will definitely get you rooting for the pair! This film about imperfect people has its imperfections. Don’t know whether it’s Oscar-worthy or not, but it definitely deserves a watch. Shivom Oza
Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess March 13, 2013

Appropriate for 14 and up, but younger teens may not be able to fully appreciate it

In terms of quality, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I don't generally like romantic comedies because I find they're normally lazy and recycle the same plot, but Silver Linings Playbook was an intelligent and original movie with a good balance of light and dark, humor and drama, and love and pain, with some other elements like sports and dance thrown in for good measure. Although it's a very funny movie, it doesn't make fun of mental illness, instead portraying it in a realistic way that shows the light and dark sides of bipolar disorder. The characters are flawed, but likable. Like the site says, quite a few instances of swearing, including f***. Sex isn't really a big problem. There's a flashback where a man walks in on his wife in the shower with another man and at one point, one character tells another that he can f*** her if he wants if they turn the light off on the first night they meet, but they don't end up having sex. There are a couple fist fights that might be upsetting to some people and Pat's mania can be a little intense, but the overall tone of the movie is very positive. Unlike in most romance movies, I loved the characters and actually found myself rooting for Pat and Tiffany to end up together, whereas I'm usually indifferent to things like that. I'd say that this'd or is appropriate for most 14 year olds, but older teens (16+) will probably have an easier time understanding it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 February 25, 2013

Jennifer Lawrence shines in one of the best roles of her career. (So far)

This movie is the kind of film that I live for. Funny in all the right places, emotional in some others. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing yet again, in her Oscar winning role, as Tiffany, a quirky and stubborn young widow. Bradley Cooper is fantastic also as Pat, a bipolar man who comes home from the hospital to find his wife cheating on him. They meet through Pat's therapist and slowly develop a deep love for each other. Robert De Niro plays the father who means well but lets his superstisions with the eagles get in the way sometimes.Some things to look out for in this movie is definitely the language. It is an R rated film, and the language fits that rating. This is a beautiful story and I recommend this to EVERYONE 15-16 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook is great

Silver Linings Playbook is a masterpiece. I love it. It was so well done. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence work great together. The script is compelling. I understand why it was nominated for best picture
Teen, 16 years old Written bydancegirl3697 April 26, 2013

This Made Me Turn Into A Jennifer Lawrence Fan

I ended up really liking this movie. Its for sure for mature teens and up. It uses the "F" word MANY times! I actually had no idea it was rated R haha. But the stpry line could be a little confusing to follow sometimes, but its a really good movie. Lots of funny moments as well. Hunger Games didnt make me a Jennifer Lawrence fan...THIS movie did:)
Written byAnonymous May 3, 2013

My new favorite movie.

I'm 13 and went to see this movie with my friend and my mom in the cinema, where it was cut. Things that were cut included the majority of the diner scene in which Tiffany explains her past as well as all of the shower scenes. My mother's only issue with the movie was the constant use of bad language which I didn't really seem to mind because I'm not really one to swear and I don't think a movie will affect me in anyway. I loved the movie and the message and it quickly became my favorite movie. Jennifer Lawrence gave the most incredible performance and the entire movie had a very beautiful message which required a certain level of maturity to fully understand. I later watched the DVD, uncut, and I fell in love with the movie even more, because so much depth behind the characters had been cut out initially. The only thing that actually bothered me was the shower scenes where a couple is seen making out naked, and that was something I wish I had not seen. This movie was probably not for my age, but I didn't know going to see it, but I loved it very much and I don't regret going whatsoever. It's one of the greatest movies I have ever seen however when some of my other friends of the same age saw it they were quite sensitive to the content whereas I didn't feel affected by it at all, and saw that the movie was made perfectly. When I was really young I was exposed to a lot of things because some of the older kids at my school would swear and talk about mature subjects, and it never inspired me but only made me more aware, which is why I think I was able to enjoy this film.
Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byGambleFam May 5, 2013

No thanks

Not for us... Turned it off halfway through and never looked back.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrianaEscamilla May 10, 2013

Great Movie

This movie hits close to home, since mental illness runs in my family. It's a great insight on what dealing with a disorder is like, for both parties: the ones who have it and the family and friends that are around it. It is very emotional, especially if you can relate to the situation. For some people i know, who do have this illness, feel as though this film is like looking in a mirror. I think this movie did a great job capturing the intensity and emotion. It allows others who may not fully get what bipolar is, understand at least a little bit better. Bipolar is more than having "mood swings" or "episodes". It's alot more deeper and complicated than you can imagine. Wishing people would stop using bipolar as a way to describe someone who is "crazy". Whatever is "crazy" to you, may be absolutely normal to someone else. Hopefully this movie could open up some eyes.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 6, 2013

16 and up.

Silver Linings Playbook is a great powerful drama movie stars with Bradley Cooper, Robert DeNiro, Jennifer Lawrence and Chris tucker but this movie has a lot of mature drama themes that maybe too much for your younger kids such as people hampered by mental illness and despondence, respectively, who try to claw their way back to a semblance of normalcy and happiness and with that being said this drama movie is only for your older teens and parents you need to know that Silver Linings Playbook has some mild violence such as a few fists fights and damage property and in one flashback there is a sex scene shown with some nudity between the male and the female there is strong language used and langauge used in a sexual references way and there is some drinking and drugs used such as wine and beer and characters take medication as a drug used all though besides the heavy themes the message in this movie is about No matter what your baggage is mental illness, past relationships, anger, a dysfunctional family you can find love (and yourself) if you commit to the journey.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. May 11, 2013

Great, but to mature with topics and swearing

This movie takes a certain level of maturity to enjoy, with understanding of relationships, and letting go. Its not only mature with its topic, F wrod count 30. The violence can be upsetting and hard to watch, as its no worse than a PG-13 movie violence, its still upsetting to watch.
Kid, 12 years old June 15, 2013

SPECTACULAR!!!!

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is funny and comes from the heart. If your kids want to watch this film, you may want to talk to them about language and illness this film presents. 10/10 - Spectacular!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byJulie St-F June 14, 2013

Realistic portrayal of an issue many families are dealing with.

I watched this movie with my partner who has bipolar disorder. We we skeptical because of how most Hollywood movies portray mental health issues. But the movie's portrayal of bipolar disorder was honest, nuanced, and still positive. We were both happily surprised. I think that a teenager who has dealt with mental illness either themselves, or along with a friend or family member could benefit from watching this movie and discussing it. A few notes: - They talk about sex, although there is very little sexy-stuff on screen. Tiffany's "promiscuity" is something people with bpd can go through, so it was realistic, as were the consequences she was trying to deal with. - There is some violence. It's a little hard to watch. You should be aware that people with many forms of mental illness are actually less likely to be involved in violent crime than the general population, although for some, anger and violence can be a real symptom. - Getting involved with someone romantically while they are still learning to manage their mental health symptoms is in reality more complex than this film makes it seem. But really, Hollywood relationships are all overly simplistic, so why would this one be any different?
Parent of a 12, 13, 16, and 17 year old Written bychristanmommylove June 6, 2013

Love it

the movie was so good I let my 12 watch it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMackenzie Logan July 26, 2013

Great!

Silver lining play book is a great movie! It's funny, it's dramatic, and the actors are great. I think to watch this movie and really aprieciate it you must have a curtain level of maturity. It is different for any other movie that i have ever seen. I loved seeing jennifer lawence act as a character like that. I deffintly suggest this movie for poeple over the age of 13.
Adult Written bywonder dove August 3, 2013

Better than I anticipated!

The movie was better than I expected. Definitely a different kind of romantic drama than most, although the ending was very predictable and kind of cliched. It's basically about a man (Pat) who has just gotten out of a mental institution for beating the life out of another man who he found in the shower with his wife (Nikki). Pat refuses to take the prescription meds for various reasons, but continues to experience violent outbursts and paranoia when you least expect it. But Pat will stop at nothing to try and win Nikki back who he has very strong feelings for. When he meets his best friend's sister-in-law (Tiffany) who has many insecurities of her own, he thinks she's just as crazy as he is. After spending much time together, Pat is slowly recovering or so it seems. She convinces him to enroll in a project with her that may be a great challenge for both of them, but conditions apply. The violence has a man going crazy half the time, he fist fights his dad and even knocks down his own mother. He gets in a fight at a sports game. He throws things, knocks things over and yells frequently. He beats up his wife's lover but it's quick and non-gory. Language is very strong with LOTS "f" words throughout along with every other curse word basically. Sexual content is frequent - more than I expected - with a quick shower sex-scene showing only bare breasts, a woman talks about getting fired from work for sleeping with all her co-workers including women. The same woman tells a man on a first date that he can "f" her if they turn out the lights...but he refuses. A sexy dance scene shows skimpy tight outfits. Some talking about sex, a passionate kiss. There is drinking - a woman tries to get drunk but gets interrupted. Drinking socially. Med use and a quick discussion about what meds two characters have taken. Overall, interesting film, quite enjoyable. Iffy for anyone under 16! Rated R for a reason.