All member reviews for Silver Linings Playbook

Offbeat dramedy mixes light and dark; some intense moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 November 30, 2012

SLP

Fantastic movie. 2nd best film of 2012 so far- 1: The Perks of Being a Wallflower 2: This 3: Looper 4: Wreck-It Ralph 5: Moonrise Kingdom 6: The Master 7: Seven Psychopaths 8: Argo 9: Skyfall 10: Beasts of the Southern Wild Honorable Mentions- The Dark Knight Rises, ParaNorman, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Jeff Who Lives at Home.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybuzzybee January 13, 2013

AMAZING

I watched this film and me, being clinically diagnosed as bipolar type II, could really understand the fustration and bitterness in the film... however it is very mature and i would strongly advise a parent for a child under 13 to watch this before thier child does to see how their child could take it. in my opinion children under 15 wouldnt even know what the disorder is anyways.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 6, 2013

Cooper and Lawrence shine bright in dark places

This (mature, with very strong language) movie had me cheering by the end. An original story of two misfits finding gradual love with each other and getting better as it goes along is infinitely touching. Lawrence, extremely sexy, shedding her "Katniss" persona completely, makes a lovably stubborn leading lady to Cooper's troubled protagonist. De Niro also is great as a father who just wants the best for his son, but can't quite show it through his die-hard Eagles superstitions overshadowing everything in his life. And even though he adds almost nothing to the plot, I really loved Chris Tucker's small but comical role.
Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2013

14+ ONLY

I started watching it with my parents but they stopped it half way through because I was too young. It was a bit inappropriate for a 12 year old, but overall the beginning was good and I am looking forward to seeing it when I am a little bit older.
Adult Written bywonder dove August 3, 2013

Better than I anticipated!

The movie was better than I expected. Definitely a different kind of romantic drama than most, although the ending was very predictable and kind of cliched. It's basically about a man (Pat) who has just gotten out of a mental institution for beating the life out of another man who he found in the shower with his wife (Nikki). Pat refuses to take the prescription meds for various reasons, but continues to experience violent outbursts and paranoia when you least expect it. But Pat will stop at nothing to try and win Nikki back who he has very strong feelings for. When he meets his best friend's sister-in-law (Tiffany) who has many insecurities of her own, he thinks she's just as crazy as he is. After spending much time together, Pat is slowly recovering or so it seems. She convinces him to enroll in a project with her that may be a great challenge for both of them, but conditions apply. The violence has a man going crazy half the time, he fist fights his dad and even knocks down his own mother. He gets in a fight at a sports game. He throws things, knocks things over and yells frequently. He beats up his wife's lover but it's quick and non-gory. Language is very strong with LOTS "f" words throughout along with every other curse word basically. Sexual content is frequent - more than I expected - with a quick shower sex-scene showing only bare breasts, a woman talks about getting fired from work for sleeping with all her co-workers including women. The same woman tells a man on a first date that he can "f" her if they turn out the lights...but he refuses. A sexy dance scene shows skimpy tight outfits. Some talking about sex, a passionate kiss. There is drinking - a woman tries to get drunk but gets interrupted. Drinking socially. Med use and a quick discussion about what meds two characters have taken. Overall, interesting film, quite enjoyable. Iffy for anyone under 16! Rated R for a reason.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander June 21, 2013

Great Drama with some Language and Sexual Themes

Silver Linings Playbook was not as inappropriate as I anticipated. There is quiet a bit of language, but nothing more than your typical R rated movie. There was a scene of nudity where a man and a woman are in a shower, however I didn't see any sensitive parts (genitalia, nipples) or at least I didn't notice any because the scene happens in quick flashes of anger. Other than that, Tifany (Jennifer Lawrence) is a rather sexual character. She offers sex to Pat early in the film and describes how she had sex with all of her office members (and she is consequently fired for this). She describes some of the sexual acts briefly to Pat, but its not too explicit. She also talks about her husband intending to have sex before dieing, which stimulated her to have sex with her coworkers out of loneliness. Lastly there is a bit of violence, mostly anger driven rampages by Pat or Tifany. For example, Pat knocks down a tray of magazines, smashes a book out of the window, and Tifany shoves the plates off of a table in a restaurant. In more extreme cases however, Pat joins a tailgate fight, fights his father and mother, and nearly murders a man who was cheating with his wife. None of the violence was bloody, but it was personal, making the fights have a strong impact. But that's the worst of the mature content. Teens looking for a good drama will be in for a good ride. The ending feels like a typical ro-com and it ended a little too fast and predictably for my liking. But the movie from the beginning on out is great with incredible acting earning Jenifer Lawrence Best Actress.
Kid, 12 years old June 15, 2013

SPECTACULAR!!!!

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is funny and comes from the heart. If your kids want to watch this film, you may want to talk to them about language and illness this film presents. 10/10 - Spectacular!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypersuadedbread May 3, 2013

one of the best movies i have ever seen

wow. this movie is beutiful. having said that their is plenty of profanity, sexual content, and mild violence
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion February 17, 2013

A Raw Romantic Comedy...Absolutely Incredible

There are some movies you watch and you know the second you see them that they will become iconic. Think of movies like The Breakfast Club, or Pulp Fiction, or It's a Wonderful Life, movies that almost everyone has seen and everyone holds close to their heart. Silver Linings Playbook will be one of those movies. Trust me. It's a romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies. It's uplifting, inspirational, and heartrending while circumventing all the usual pathways to those emotions. It isn't manipulative or cheesy in the least. It's a powerful movie about love, family, and relationships. While this movie isn't for everybody in the family, it is a movie I would highly encourage older teens to watch because of its positive messages. Silver Linings is all about individuals' struggles with self-esteem and relating to those around them (especially when mental illness is an inhibitor), and it offers healthy lessons about overcoming adversity and valuing those close to you. It's a great movie for teens and their parents to watch together. The reason the movie is rated R is profanity. There are around 50 "f" words, some used sexually, but the profanity never feels excessive and is used quite appropriately in most situations (as appropriately as profanity can be used; remember, this movie doesn't gloss over its characters' bad habits). Sex is never shown, but it's implied a woman cheats on her husband with a co-worker in the husband's shower (her bare backside is shown briefly through the shower door), and a woman talks about how she tried to cope with her husband's death by sleeping with everybody in her office (including the women, she says, although it's possible the whole story is an exaggeration meant to shock). Violence is minor. Several people get punched. The main character's mental disorders aggravates him in several situations. In one he kicks a man's face, and in the other he gets in a brief scuffle with his father after accidentally hitting his mother while moving manically. This movie is rough in a couple of situations, but all of the questionable content is justified by the plot and characters. It's hands-down the best movie of the year, and it yields incredible rewards for those who watch it (including teens whose parents deem in appropriate).
Teen, 13 years old Written byjacgunsalus February 17, 2015

I think that it was a really good movie for 14 and up. There were some inappropriate scenes and some violence (and a lot of swearing) and there is some social drinking. However, I thought it was a great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan February 4, 2015

Silver Linings Playbook movie review

"Silver Linings Playbook" was a great film about relationships. Although rated R the movie could have been rated PG-13. I love the balance between comedy and the dramatic moments. Bradley Cooper was fantastic as Patrick Jr.. He showed a lot of great emotions throughout the course of the film. As the movie progresses, I see his character mature. I see him learning how to go on in life. Jennifer Lawrence was fine. Bradley Cooper was much better in the movie. But of course, Robert De Niro was the best part of the entire movie. I loved his character so much. His performance was so great. It's finally great to see Chris Tucker in a good movie. The movie has so many great messages about how to handle relationships. I absolutely loved this movie and highly recommend to everyone who is mature.
Kid, 12 years old December 21, 2014

Great

Great movie but has a lot of language and sex bit of violence to
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2014

The Silver Linings Playbook is Great!

The only things that are iffy about this movie is the swearing, and mature themes. If your child is mature, and knows not to swear, let them watch it
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 September 21, 2014

A genuinely different but wonderful drama.

The moment Silver Linings Playbook starts, it makes it clear that it is no ordinary film. Silver Linings Playbook treads on thin ice. It has great potential to be a complete disaster. However, with a great screenplay, smooth directing, and some exceptional performances, Silver Linings Playbook delivers. The film does not take its time to let the viewer know about the touchy subjects it handles. The story resolves around a man in his mid thirties named Patrick (Bradley Cooper). The film starts off with Patrick being released from a mental hospital because of his bipolar disorder. 8 months after a unfortunate incident with his wife, Patrick is determined to win his wife's love back. However when he returns home to his parents, he realizes that it won't be that simple. Then Patrick meets Tiffany, (Jennifer Lawrence) a young widow with just as many issues as Patrick. The two eventually develop a friendship and bond that helps the both of them cope with their problems. For the most part, Silver Linings Playbook delivers a hopeful and enduring story that develops as the film progresses. It feels hopeful just as it does depressing. Because of David O' Russell's excellent directing and screenplay, this formula works very well. The film gives the audience a reason to root for the leads but it isn't shy to show just how screwed up they are in the process. It really is a great reflection of just how crazy life can be. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is simply outstanding and this film proves that they both have exceptional acting talent. Because of the subject matter, Silver Linings Playbook is a fairly mature film. There is strong language throughout and some pretty intense sexual references. However, I never felt the film has it there just because. I feel that the maturity of the film adds to the realism of the plot. It deals with some mature subjects, but for the most part it feels justified. Overall, Silver Linings Playbook is a great film that handles some mature themes. For older teens and up, I feel that Silver Linings Playbook can be beneficial entertainment.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2014

The best movie of all time.

Silver linings playbook is the story of Pat (Bradley Cooper) who when gets out of a mental institute is determined to get his life back in shape when he meets tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) a widow with many problems of her own. This great movie mixes dark and light scenes. I watched this movie at 11 years old and was perfectly fine. Silver linings playbook is definitely my favorite movie of all time. And is great for people 13 and older.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLily Eleanor May 27, 2014

Great feel good film- walked away with a smile on my face.

This is a great film which in my opinion should definitely be viewed purely because I liked it so much. It has minor sexuality, swearing and (maybe) violence however if you are a mature 12 year old you should be able to handle this. Generally a nice storyline with great acting!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetheart May 20, 2014

LEARNING

Silver Linings Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook is a heartfelt movie about two mentally ill people fighting the world and falling in love and giving us a perfect dramedy. It does contain quite frequent swearing most commonly f*ck and sh*t plus sexual references and violence- a scene where Pat (Bradley Cooper) is beating up his parents because of anger issues. This a great movie that gives a important message about the meaning of family and to try your hardest at everything you do.
Teen, 15 years old Written byone direction March 23, 2014

Awsome movie

I really liked Jennifer Lawrence's performance.There is some sexual content, language and brief nudity when the couple is in the shower but I think it's appropriate for 15 year olds and it's nothing a 15 year old can't handle
Teen, 14 years old Written bylildee14143 January 9, 2014

Huge jennifer Lawrence fan

Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 January 2, 2014

Great Dramedy

Intense moments and mature themes and language make this best for older/mature teens