All member reviews for Silver Linings Playbook

Offbeat dramedy mixes light and dark; some intense moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 November 30, 2012

SLP

Fantastic movie. 2nd best film of 2012 so far- 1: The Perks of Being a Wallflower 2: This 3: Looper 4: Wreck-It Ralph 5: Moonrise Kingdom 6: The Master 7: Seven Psychopaths 8: Argo 9: Skyfall 10: Beasts of the Southern Wild Honorable Mentions- The Dark Knight Rises, ParaNorman, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, Jeff Who Lives at Home.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybuzzybee January 13, 2013

AMAZING

I watched this film and me, being clinically diagnosed as bipolar type II, could really understand the fustration and bitterness in the film... however it is very mature and i would strongly advise a parent for a child under 13 to watch this before thier child does to see how their child could take it. in my opinion children under 15 wouldnt even know what the disorder is anyways.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 6, 2013

Cooper and Lawrence shine bright in dark places

This (mature, with very strong language) movie had me cheering by the end. An original story of two misfits finding gradual love with each other and getting better as it goes along is infinitely touching. Lawrence, extremely sexy, shedding her "Katniss" persona completely, makes a lovably stubborn leading lady to Cooper's troubled protagonist. De Niro also is great as a father who just wants the best for his son, but can't quite show it through his die-hard Eagles superstitions overshadowing everything in his life. And even though he adds almost nothing to the plot, I really loved Chris Tucker's small but comical role.
Written byAnonymous May 3, 2013

My new favorite movie.

I'm 13 and went to see this movie with my friend and my mom in the cinema, where it was cut. Things that were cut included the majority of the diner scene in which Tiffany explains her past as well as all of the shower scenes. My mother's only issue with the movie was the constant use of bad language which I didn't really seem to mind because I'm not really one to swear and I don't think a movie will affect me in anyway. I loved the movie and the message and it quickly became my favorite movie. Jennifer Lawrence gave the most incredible performance and the entire movie had a very beautiful message which required a certain level of maturity to fully understand. I later watched the DVD, uncut, and I fell in love with the movie even more, because so much depth behind the characters had been cut out initially. The only thing that actually bothered me was the shower scenes where a couple is seen making out naked, and that was something I wish I had not seen. This movie was probably not for my age, but I didn't know going to see it, but I loved it very much and I don't regret going whatsoever. It's one of the greatest movies I have ever seen however when some of my other friends of the same age saw it they were quite sensitive to the content whereas I didn't feel affected by it at all, and saw that the movie was made perfectly. When I was really young I was exposed to a lot of things because some of the older kids at my school would swear and talk about mature subjects, and it never inspired me but only made me more aware, which is why I think I was able to enjoy this film.
Adult Written bywonder dove August 3, 2013

Better than I anticipated!

The movie was better than I expected. Definitely a different kind of romantic drama than most, although the ending was very predictable and kind of cliched. It's basically about a man (Pat) who has just gotten out of a mental institution for beating the life out of another man who he found in the shower with his wife (Nikki). Pat refuses to take the prescription meds for various reasons, but continues to experience violent outbursts and paranoia when you least expect it. But Pat will stop at nothing to try and win Nikki back who he has very strong feelings for. When he meets his best friend's sister-in-law (Tiffany) who has many insecurities of her own, he thinks she's just as crazy as he is. After spending much time together, Pat is slowly recovering or so it seems. She convinces him to enroll in a project with her that may be a great challenge for both of them, but conditions apply. The violence has a man going crazy half the time, he fist fights his dad and even knocks down his own mother. He gets in a fight at a sports game. He throws things, knocks things over and yells frequently. He beats up his wife's lover but it's quick and non-gory. Language is very strong with LOTS "f" words throughout along with every other curse word basically. Sexual content is frequent - more than I expected - with a quick shower sex-scene showing only bare breasts, a woman talks about getting fired from work for sleeping with all her co-workers including women. The same woman tells a man on a first date that he can "f" her if they turn out the lights...but he refuses. A sexy dance scene shows skimpy tight outfits. Some talking about sex, a passionate kiss. There is drinking - a woman tries to get drunk but gets interrupted. Drinking socially. Med use and a quick discussion about what meds two characters have taken. Overall, interesting film, quite enjoyable. Iffy for anyone under 16! Rated R for a reason.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander June 21, 2013

Great Drama with some Language and Sexual Themes

Silver Linings Playbook was not as inappropriate as I anticipated. There is quiet a bit of language, but nothing more than your typical R rated movie. There was a scene of nudity where a man and a woman are in a shower, however I didn't see any sensitive parts (genitalia, nipples) or at least I didn't notice any because the scene happens in quick flashes of anger. Other than that, Tifany (Jennifer Lawrence) is a rather sexual character. She offers sex to Pat early in the film and describes how she had sex with all of her office members (and she is consequently fired for this). She describes some of the sexual acts briefly to Pat, but its not too explicit. She also talks about her husband intending to have sex before dieing, which stimulated her to have sex with her coworkers out of loneliness. Lastly there is a bit of violence, mostly anger driven rampages by Pat or Tifany. For example, Pat knocks down a tray of magazines, smashes a book out of the window, and Tifany shoves the plates off of a table in a restaurant. In more extreme cases however, Pat joins a tailgate fight, fights his father and mother, and nearly murders a man who was cheating with his wife. None of the violence was bloody, but it was personal, making the fights have a strong impact. But that's the worst of the mature content. Teens looking for a good drama will be in for a good ride. The ending feels like a typical ro-com and it ended a little too fast and predictably for my liking. But the movie from the beginning on out is great with incredible acting earning Jenifer Lawrence Best Actress.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion February 17, 2013

A Raw Romantic Comedy...Absolutely Incredible

There are some movies you watch and you know the second you see them that they will become iconic. Think of movies like The Breakfast Club, or Pulp Fiction, or It's a Wonderful Life, movies that almost everyone has seen and everyone holds close to their heart. Silver Linings Playbook will be one of those movies. Trust me. It's a romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies. It's uplifting, inspirational, and heartrending while circumventing all the usual pathways to those emotions. It isn't manipulative or cheesy in the least. It's a powerful movie about love, family, and relationships. While this movie isn't for everybody in the family, it is a movie I would highly encourage older teens to watch because of its positive messages. Silver Linings is all about individuals' struggles with self-esteem and relating to those around them (especially when mental illness is an inhibitor), and it offers healthy lessons about overcoming adversity and valuing those close to you. It's a great movie for teens and their parents to watch together. The reason the movie is rated R is profanity. There are around 50 "f" words, some used sexually, but the profanity never feels excessive and is used quite appropriately in most situations (as appropriately as profanity can be used; remember, this movie doesn't gloss over its characters' bad habits). Sex is never shown, but it's implied a woman cheats on her husband with a co-worker in the husband's shower (her bare backside is shown briefly through the shower door), and a woman talks about how she tried to cope with her husband's death by sleeping with everybody in her office (including the women, she says, although it's possible the whole story is an exaggeration meant to shock). Violence is minor. Several people get punched. The main character's mental disorders aggravates him in several situations. In one he kicks a man's face, and in the other he gets in a brief scuffle with his father after accidentally hitting his mother while moving manically. This movie is rough in a couple of situations, but all of the questionable content is justified by the plot and characters. It's hands-down the best movie of the year, and it yields incredible rewards for those who watch it (including teens whose parents deem in appropriate).
Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2013

14+ ONLY

I started watching it with my parents but they stopped it half way through because I was too young. It was a bit inappropriate for a 12 year old, but overall the beginning was good and I am looking forward to seeing it when I am a little bit older.
Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess March 13, 2013

Appropriate for 14 and up, but younger teens may not be able to fully appreciate it

In terms of quality, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I don't generally like romantic comedies because I find they're normally lazy and recycle the same plot, but Silver Linings Playbook was an intelligent and original movie with a good balance of light and dark, humor and drama, and love and pain, with some other elements like sports and dance thrown in for good measure. Although it's a very funny movie, it doesn't make fun of mental illness, instead portraying it in a realistic way that shows the light and dark sides of bipolar disorder. The characters are flawed, but likable. Like the site says, quite a few instances of swearing, including f***. Sex isn't really a big problem. There's a flashback where a man walks in on his wife in the shower with another man and at one point, one character tells another that he can f*** her if he wants if they turn the light off on the first night they meet, but they don't end up having sex. There are a couple fist fights that might be upsetting to some people and Pat's mania can be a little intense, but the overall tone of the movie is very positive. Unlike in most romance movies, I loved the characters and actually found myself rooting for Pat and Tiffany to end up together, whereas I'm usually indifferent to things like that. I'd say that this'd or is appropriate for most 14 year olds, but older teens (16+) will probably have an easier time understanding it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjacgunsalus February 17, 2015

I think that it was a really good movie for 14 and up. There were some inappropriate scenes and some violence (and a lot of swearing) and there is some social drinking. However, I thought it was a great movie!
Kid, 12 years old June 15, 2013

SPECTACULAR!!!!

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK is funny and comes from the heart. If your kids want to watch this film, you may want to talk to them about language and illness this film presents. 10/10 - Spectacular!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypersuadedbread May 3, 2013

one of the best movies i have ever seen

wow. this movie is beutiful. having said that their is plenty of profanity, sexual content, and mild violence
Parent Written byShivom Oza February 20, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook (2013) Review by Shivom Oza – Several Silver Linings On Show!

‘Silver Linings Playbook’ has received eight Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director (David O. Russell). It has also managed to bag all the nominations in the four acting categories for Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver. The film is about a dysfunctional family, or rather families, and imperfect individuals. The film encompasses three genres – romance, comedy and drama. The best aspect about the film is that it does not paint a rosy picture about any character’s life. Instead, it dwells upon imperfections and harsh realities. Jennifer Lawrence delivers one of the best performances of the year in a film, which is filled with powerhouse performers. The film is brutally truthful when it comes to highlighting problems and is equivalently delightful when it comes to offering solutions. Quite easily, the ‘SLICE-OF-LIFE’ film of the year. After an eight-month stint in a mental institution, Pat Soliano (Bradley Cooper), who has had a history of physical assaults, emotional outbursts, rocky equations with wife Nikki (Brea Bee), moves back in with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) and Dolores (Jackie Weaver), and tries to get his act together (which includes getting back with his estranged, unfaithful ex-wife). Pat Sr. and Dolores are facing financial problems of their own in addition to dealing with their son’s mental instability. Then, Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), who happens to be his ex-wife Nikki’s best friend Veronica’s (Julia Stiles) younger sister. Tiffany’s husband loses his life in a car crash and this creates devastating repercussions on her mental health. The film is about how the two unstable individuals, Pat and Tiffany, bond and help each other get over their tumultuous pasts! There are uncomfortable instances, notably the ugly physical altercation between Pat and his father, Tiffany’s emotional outbursts at Pat, Pat’s desperation to reconcile with his ex-wife, which will make you cringe and move you at the same time. The story at different points will evoke different emotions – sadness, anger, helplessness, laughter, contentment and in the end, that little bit of redemption! David O. Russell’s screenplay has been adapted from the novel of the same name by Matthew Quick. The film is not just about a closer-to-reality story and terrific performances. It is as much about brilliant technical achievement in editing, cinematography, choreography and music composing. Cooper’s and Lawrence’s imperfect dance-piece in the climactic moments will definitely get you rooting for the pair! This film about imperfect people has its imperfections. Don’t know whether it’s Oscar-worthy or not, but it definitely deserves a watch. Shivom Oza
Teen, 13 years old Written byciara100generous June 3, 2015

Adult Written bykipwalker44 May 28, 2015

Teen, 14 years old Written byTuittifruity March 30, 2015

AMAZING

I think this movie is one of my favorite movies ever (It comes 2nd after The Hunger Games) and of course the cast was perfect for their roles that they got and I absolutely LOVE AND ADORE Jennifer Lawrence she is the most PERFECT and AMAZING and HILARIOUS human being ever. I've even watched this 4 times before and I would totally recommend it for ages 14+ because yes there is quite a bit of swearing in it but it didn't bother me at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan February 4, 2015

Silver Linings Playbook movie review

"Silver Linings Playbook" was a great film about relationships. I love the balance between comedy and the dramatic moments. Bradley Cooper was fantastic as Patrick Jr. He showed a lot of great emotions throughout the course of the film. As the movie progresses, I see his character mature. I see him learning how to go on in life. Jennifer Lawrence was fine. Bradley Cooper was much better in the movie. But of course, Robert De Niro was the best part of the entire movie. I loved his character so much. His performance was so great. It's finally great to see Chris Tucker in a good movie. The movie has so many great messages about how to handle relationships. I absolutely loved this movie and highly recommend to everyone who is mature. There is no absolutely inapporiate content, but the "Silver Linings Playbook" is a very mature-themed film.
Kid, 12 years old December 21, 2014

Great

Great movie but has a lot of language and sex bit of violence to
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2014

The Silver Linings Playbook is Great!

The only things that are iffy about this movie is the swearing, and mature themes. If your child is mature, and knows not to swear, let them watch it
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 September 21, 2014

A genuinely different but wonderful drama.

The moment Silver Linings Playbook starts, it makes it clear that it is no ordinary film. Silver Linings Playbook treads on thin ice. It has great potential to be a complete disaster. However, with a great screenplay, smooth directing, and some exceptional performances, Silver Linings Playbook delivers. The film does not take its time to let the viewer know about the touchy subjects it handles. The story resolves around a man in his mid thirties named Patrick (Bradley Cooper). The film starts off with Patrick being released from a mental hospital because of his bipolar disorder. 8 months after a unfortunate incident with his wife, Patrick is determined to win his wife's love back. However when he returns home to his parents, he realizes that it won't be that simple. Then Patrick meets Tiffany, (Jennifer Lawrence) a young widow with just as many issues as Patrick. The two eventually develop a friendship and bond that helps the both of them cope with their problems. For the most part, Silver Linings Playbook delivers a hopeful and enduring story that develops as the film progresses. It feels hopeful just as it does depressing. Because of David O' Russell's excellent directing and screenplay, this formula works very well. The film gives the audience a reason to root for the leads but it isn't shy to show just how screwed up they are in the process. It really is a great reflection of just how crazy life can be. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is simply outstanding and this film proves that they both have exceptional acting talent. Because of the subject matter, Silver Linings Playbook is a fairly mature film. There is strong language throughout and some pretty intense sexual references. However, I never felt the film has it there just because. I feel that the maturity of the film adds to the realism of the plot. It deals with some mature subjects, but for the most part it feels justified. Overall, Silver Linings Playbook is a great film that handles some mature themes. For older teens and up, I feel that Silver Linings Playbook can be beneficial entertainment.