Tearjerker is touching but too intense for younger kids.

Parent Written byAnsara November 23, 2013

Rape as high comedy

A virulent subtext of this movie is rape, and rape as comedy. The scene in which that obnoxious little angel Simon Birch grabs a girl's breasts and drags her against her will into the "manger" with him is - like all such scenes in movies - designed to make every male in the audience feel comfortable at the expense of making every female feel uncomfortable - to make every male feel powerful at the expense of making every female feel powerless. This is a far more overriding powerful and destructive message than any positive messages the film has to offer. If there were a racist or anti-Semitic subtext to a film, would we cheer it on as much? Why is rape viewed as high comedy? Because if people can be made to laugh at something, it softens it and makes it more acceptable to them. If you want your little boys to grow up with a culturally inculcated sneering view of girls as things to take and trash, by all means show them this movie. And if you want your little girls to grow up as compliant rape victims, show them this movie. The girl whose breasts he grabs visits him in the hospital and (of course) kisses him. What kind of message does that give girls and boys? That aggressive sexually abusive behavior will always be not only forgiven but rewarded? Remember that it is 50 year old white male script writers who are projecting their own fantasies off onto children in these movies and forcing kids to act out those fantasies. And in the alternate reality devised by these men, rape is okay in any of its forms and girls must learn to be compliant. That's the script these guys hand our kids, folks.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2013

Spoilers!

My school had us all watch this movie- I cried at the end. It was wonderfully made and had some solid messages about forgiveness and loss. There's some questionable content, but this is definitely one of those movies which positive content outweigh the innaproppiate content. Some characters smoke, but it's not too noticable. There is talk of sex, and the main character shouts "Boobs!" In the middle of a play. Foul language is common, but nothing is said that is any worse than the s-word. Some parents may be concerned that the main character dies in the end, but he dies in a very heroic manner. Also, a supporting character dies when she is hit by a baseball.
Teen, 17 years old Written byZoocreature345 May 19, 2014

Terrible Movie

I thought this was horrendously awful. This is just a horrible, nasty, mean, hate-filled movie. I did not laugh once. I did not even crack a smile. I also hate it because it's a family movie. Despite its good intentions, this movie could be messing up your kids. The pastor especially i think is really despicably unlikable. The stuff he says to this kid is not only bad, I personally think it would scar most kids. You're supposed to want this guy to accept Simon, and, at the end of the day, I really don't. I thought he was a horrible character. Overall, Simon Birch is an awful movie. Don't bother watching it.
Kid, 9 years old August 7, 2012

Movie you should hide from emotional kids

When I saw this movie, I was a complete wreck for 2 days. Simon grabbs a girls boobs for crying out loud! And two people die, two. That doesn't even count the other two ones at the very end. And then, Simon drowns in a bus. By the way, it's pretty unrealistic. A lady can't die in 5 seconds by getting hit in the head with a baseball.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydisney7230 March 9, 2014

This heartwrenching tale is not for everyone.

I watched this movie with my seventh grade Theology class. I loved the characters and it was humorous and nicely put together, although unrealistic. The reality, though, is that this is one of the saddest stories you might ever see. It has wonderful messages and amazing role models, but the ending *SPOILER* leaves you upset and you forget all about the messages because you feel such pain for poor Joe. It is wonderful if you keep you and your family focused on the good things, if that's even possible. I admit I was in distress for a few days after finishing this movie.