All member reviews for Simon Birch

Kid, 9 years old August 7, 2012

Movie you should hide from emotional kids

When I saw this movie, I was a complete wreck for 2 days. Simon grabbs a girls boobs for crying out loud! And two people die, two. That doesn't even count the other two ones at the very end. And then, Simon drowns in a bus. By the way, it's pretty unrealistic. A lady can't die in 5 seconds by getting hit in the head with a baseball.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2013

Spoilers!

My school had us all watch this movie- I cried at the end. It was wonderfully made and had some solid messages about forgiveness and loss. There's some questionable content, but this is definitely one of those movies which positive content outweigh the innaproppiate content. Some characters smoke, but it's not too noticable. There is talk of sex, and the main character shouts "Boobs!" In the middle of a play. Foul language is common, but nothing is said that is any worse than the s-word. Some parents may be concerned that the main character dies in the end, but he dies in a very heroic manner. Also, a supporting character dies when she is hit by a baseball.
Teen, 17 years old Written byZoocreature345 May 19, 2014

Terrible Movie

I thought this was horrendously awful. This is just a horrible, nasty, mean, hate-filled movie. I did not laugh once. I did not even crack a smile. I also hate it because it's a family movie. Despite its good intentions, this movie could be messing up your kids. The pastor especially i think is really despicably unlikable. The stuff he says to this kid is not only bad, I personally think it would scar most kids. You're supposed to want this guy to accept Simon, and, at the end of the day, I really don't. I thought he was a horrible character. Overall, Simon Birch is an awful movie. Don't bother watching it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydisney7230 March 9, 2014

This heartwrenching tale is not for everyone.

I watched this movie with my seventh grade Theology class. I loved the characters and it was humorous and nicely put together, although unrealistic. The reality, though, is that this is one of the saddest stories you might ever see. It has wonderful messages and amazing role models, but the ending *SPOILER* leaves you upset and you forget all about the messages because you feel such pain for poor Joe. It is wonderful if you keep you and your family focused on the good things, if that's even possible. I admit I was in distress for a few days after finishing this movie.