All member reviews for Singin' in the Rain

Often considered the finest musical of all time.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 6, 2009

People usually think of this when they think of musicals

I saw this in Video Production, although it's a typical formulaic musical, it is very entertaining and lively, a movie everyone should experience to get their opinons on it. It gets racy at times though, especially during the lengthy penultimate number.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 year old Written bymcghee family February 11, 2010

a family singin in the rain

it's one of my faves.we love the music,dancing,and the comedy
Teen, 13 years old Written byDoctor Who Lover March 13, 2012

I'm singin' in the rain!!!

AWESOME MOVIE!!! AWESOME SONGS!!! A lot of comedy, (Cosmo mostly) and plenty of fun. I first saw it when I was 4, and instantly fell in love with it. It's been a family favorite since then. Don flirts with Kathy a lot on their first meeting, and he and Lina kiss, plus Lina keeps hinting that she loves Don, more than acting partners. Overall great family movie, full of entertainment. A must-see, and hopefully over and over.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2010

COOOL SOOO BRILLIANT

I LOVE THE SONG SINGIN IN THE RAIN ITS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOL I LOVE THIS FILM OK FOR ALL AGES LEENA IS SO FUNNY A HILARIOUS FILM FOR ALL THE FAMILY ONE OF THE BEST MUSICALS IN THE WORLD
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Great

One of the best musicals ever made, a feel-good, hilarious, and colorful film! Nothing here parents would object to, this film is accepbtable for kids of all ages.

I Laughed!

Probably the greatest movie of all time!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymarvelgirl68 May 22, 2013

Singing in the rain a timeless musical.

Singing in the rain is a great movie for all kinds of ages!
Teen, 16 years old Written byMiss Muffett December 11, 2010

Outstanding Movie

I love watching this movie. It has a love story that is not at all sappy mixed in with good clean fun.
Kid, 10 years old June 1, 2010

GOOD FOR EVERYONE!

WOW!
Kid, 11 years old January 16, 2012

A beloved classic.

A truly great musical, with catchy songs and pretty positive messages. However, there is some smoking (especially from Lina) and mean revenge.
Teen, 13 years old Written byperfectionist January 30, 2010

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

This is the best musical ever. The songs are classics. I love the songs. This is one of my favorite movies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byanimalloverkt April 9, 2008
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

singin in the rain

Families can talk about the history of movies and the period in which silent movies gave way to "talkies." What were some of the problems? What were some of the benefits? How is this Singin' in the Rain different from modern films? What is it missing? Does it still entertain modern audiences? Are there any role models in this film? If so, who and why?
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byBKF March 22, 2010

My preschoolers love this one!

My kids are 2 1/2 and 5 and have seen almost no tv or movies but i let them watch this and they just love it. The few iffy moments are the stunts at the beginning (where "Don Lockwood" looks like he's getting killed in various stunts) and which we describe to our 2 1/2-year-old as "pretend" and the "dumb blonde" role. The former is a bit of a problem but, honestly, the portrayal is so stereotyped that I don't think my kids even take it seriously -- it's just not what they see anywhere else.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomebodysMe July 15, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

"I'm singin in the rain, just singin in the rain!" This is the ultimate feel-good, laugh out loud movie, with a little romance too!
Adult Written byjillianlovescats October 31, 2010

This is movie is for Pre-Teens and Adults!

Singin' in the Rain is awesome to watch over and over again! I just loved it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byLa Rana June 4, 2015

I was a bit disappointed with CSM, but I guess they don't really rate immodesty.

I absolutely loved this movie!! The humor, singing, dancing, -I love old musicals, and this was no exception. However- While this was 'clean' in that there was no sex or bad language, ect, there were . . . . a LOT of legs. (-: I wasn't comfortable watching it with my younger siblings. There was a lot of immodesty, and inappropriate . . . . well, legs. (-: I guess I've noticed that Common Sense Media doesn't really rate the immodesty in movies. I use this site a lot, just have to be careful about that part. So while it's a great movie, i won't be watching it with my family again any time soon. /-: Was a bit disappointing in that respect. I know I rated it for kids 12 and under, I wasn't sure what to put. I guess it sorta depends on the kid. And maybe the gender. (-:
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byelainec1 January 13, 2016

Great singing, dancing and story but forward a racy scene

We were all enchanted watching this together! Gene Kelly makes dancing look effortless and the innocence of "Singing in the Rain" number can bring tears to your eyes. But I was surprised at the Cyd Cherice number, with her in heels, skimpy dress, smoking a cigarette, and coming on to Gene strongly in a very sexy number. It seemed a complete departure from the clean-cut rest of the movie and I suppose parents can skip over that number with their young kids if they want to avoid any exposure to that. It's when he's dancing in a bar area and comes across a sexy leg up in the air with green heels. Just forward through that number and the rest of the movie is perfection. My 9 year old son said, "Whoa" and I wish he hadn't seen that. I also wish my 7 year old daughter doesn't start dancing like Cyd! We don't allow exposure to sexy music videos and this felt like one. Best for the older set. Other than that, "Make them Laugh", "Good Morning" and "Moses Supposes" are completely entertaining! My daughter loved learning about silent movies and the beginning of "Talkies"--a bit of movie history! Hope this helps.
Kid, 9 years old December 18, 2015

Just One Concern...

CSM doesn't always include everything. Did nobody notice that Olga's dressed inappropriately?(She's only shown in two scenes.) Also, this girl on a poster isn't dressed appropriately. (That's only one 10- second scene.) I love Lina! Also, Don and Kathy kiss 2 times, but that's all. Also, Lina says 2 insults: dope and dumb.