Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Sleeping Beauty

Disney classic is delightful but sometimes scary.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byfunkywhite June 29, 2009

Don't watch it unless you're 10 or older...

Very nice animated feature, (and to person who is 42 yrs old), I love this film. I DON'T think it's appropriate for children under age 10, because Maleficent is just too scary. I was scared to death of her when I was young, and still remember it. I saw it at 7 years old, and it was WAY to scary. And yes, I think a lot of Disney movies are too scary for four-year olds. The music, the dramatic quality to it is just too intense.

Adult Written bysupermandisco April 8, 2019

Pure Disney

Very stylized rendition of the popular tale that may be too intense for young children as the evil witch Maleficent is a very serious foe for whatever reason she has against the princess and her kingdom.
Fortunately Aurora has the thankful aid of three colorful fairy godmothers who look after her like their own.
Beautiful music, beautiful scenery take your mind off just how shallow the two leads seem to be.
Adult Written byVohaul March 9, 2019

A Disney classic, but not for younger kids

While this is a Disney classic, this does have its scary moments. The best example is how Maleficent tells everyone how Aurora is going to die. Remember that early Disney was not intended for children.
Adult Written byMatt B. February 22, 2019

If it didn't have scary parts it would be for all ages

The parts with Maleficent are scary. It may be scary to really young kids.
Parent Written byRobert W. November 18, 2018

A Classic Tale

People must realize this is based on a story written in the 17th century when male and female roles were very different from today. The film was also made in the 1950's which was also very different from today. The film is beautifully hand-drawn in classic animation style. The score is based on Tchaikovsky' s Sleeping Beauty and is a good introduction to classical music. The running time is only 75 minutes which is good for short attention spans. The three good fairies are often amusing and their little magic fight is fun for young ones to see. Malificent the evil queen probably ranks as one of Disney's greatest villains(which is why they probably made a live action film about her). She would definitely be scary for very young children and she uses the word hell once as a place name. The end battle when she turns into a dragon and is killed by Prince Phillip has a little animated blood and is also very intense for the young. All films such as this should be watched with your children so they have the comfort of your presence. A worthy way to show children something other than today's computer animation which is sometimes too realistic. Above all remember it is an old fairy tale and take it as that instead of quibbling about gender roles, You as parents are still the ultimate role models for your children and should still discuss films like this after the family has watched them. I was 5 years old when this film was released and I am still impressed by it today at age 64.
Adult Written byRarityfan October 3, 2018

A beauty indeed

Can be scary at times despite it's innoncent princess movie tone, so this is perfect for a Halloween watch with the family. In consumerism there are a lot of Disney stuff like Disneyland and WDW itself, and tons of various Disney princess party decorations.

Adult Written byDanishDog September 19, 2018

Only Maleficent make this entertaining

If it were not for Maleficent, this would not be something anyone should watch. Also Maleficent as dragon gets stabbed in the chest, and there is blood. Would be PG if released today. Also Aurora and Prince Philip is worst role models ever. Aurora only speaks 18 lines of dialogue. Bad!
Adult Written byHolly R. June 30, 2018

Make it pink! No! Make it blue!

I loved this movie as a kid. Maleficent never scared me and I have watched it multiple times since I was 3 and it never bothered me. To the parents who complain about the story and role models, this film IS from the 1950's so it's purely for entertainment and it's not meant to reflect reality or to teach anything about morals or whatever. As for the person who said that Maleficent scared them as a 7 year old I do suppose that caution should be taken for young sensitive viewers. Maleficent never scared me as a toddler but the Evil Queen from Snow White so I would watch it with your child if they are really young. And I still love the age old argument between the good fairies over what color to make the dress and the invention of "tie-dye" when they hit the dress at the same time. The only thing that is bad is mild language when Maleficent says something about "hell" and there is mild blood when she gets stabbed by the sword of truth after turning into a dragon. It never scared me though because back then most kids movies ALWAYS had happy endings and that made it less scary. Also the two Kings drink and a bard gets drunk and hiccups bubbles.

Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byVincenzo May 20, 2018

Kids will need narrative

My 5 year old asked lots of questions throughout, and my 3 year old mostly appreciated just the visuals. If I hadn't provided them a narrative throughout, basically explaining everything that's happening, they would have been bored in most scenes, especially for the middle third of the film. Some parts were a bit scary, Maleficent curses the baby princess to die and frequently calls her followers idiots and words like that, and a big fight at the end when Phillip slays the dragon with a sword (my kids dont ever see that kind of fighting). I was a bit shocked at all the drinking in the film, the troubadour is even shown passing out drunk on wine in a comical fashion, but my kids likely don't register what they are seeing in the same way that I do (they were mostly bored during that scene anyway). Overall they loved it, and so do I, one of my favourites. They both gave Mommy a true love kiss after the film, who had fallen asleep on the couch while watching it.

Adult Written byDarwin A. March 24, 2018

????

It is even more disgusting than PG-13. Should be rated NC-17 instead! So why is it G?

Parent Written byszparag3 January 13, 2018

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

Sometimes a little scary

Adult Written byBethany R. March 4, 2017

A classic I've enjoyed since I was little!

This is a great movie! Maleficent can be scary for young kids; as well as the dragon & Maleficent's crow. Most people complain that Aurora sleeps through most of the movie, which is true, but I enjoy it anyway. It's a good movie to show kods!
Adult Written bysjb January 27, 2016

Not for sensitive kids

Not a bad movie except for Malificent calling on "the demons from hell."
Hell isn't used inappropriately, just a bit scary for a five year old. Ok for my 8 year old.
Good classic.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Parent Written bylilhuggems March 2, 2013

A maybe...

I think this film is good, for an appropriate age group. I believe that this film is too "scary" for younger children. Also I hope my children will not see any kissing in movies or television until they are 10 years of age. Also I believe this film to be inappropriate because of the scene where they get drunk. I would fast forward through that seen until they turn 12. All in all this film is good for the appropriate ages.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byEric Z. May 8, 2012

A classic Disney movie

With Sleeping Beauty, there’s not much more you could ask for from a classic Disney movie: a prince, a princess, cute and funny animals, comedic relief, an evil queen, and a fairytale ending. *** What’s interesting is that while Sleeping Beauty (aka Princess Aurora) gets top billing, it’s the three fairies who carry the film. In fact, Aurora is virtually a bit player in her own movie; she’s more of a plot device than a fully developed character. *** Aside from the antics of the fairies, the wickedness of Maleficent, and the climactic battle, Sleeping Beauty plays a bit quiet. However, the last ten minutes are truly exciting as Prince Philip faces off against Maleficent in the form of a fire-breathing dragon (her, not him). *** Sleeping Beauty is rated G, and is largely appropriate for all ages. Some minor concerns for small children: Maleficent can be menacing at times; one of the king servants gets tipsy on wine; in the climax, Maleficent declares that she is summoning “all the powers of Hell;” and a dragon is stabbed by a sword, with some blood coming from the wound. *** Read my full review at: filmfather [dot] blogspot [dot] com
Adult Written byWaterNymph March 18, 2011

One of my favorites!

I love this movie!! The fairies are so cute, and the lady who voiced Aurora sings so beautifully. :)
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 7, 2010

Sleeping Beauty Is No Snooze

DIsney's 1950s translation of the classic fairy tale is really well done. The incorporation of Tchaikovksy's "Sleeping Beauty" musical score makes the movie even all the more fun. There's no real surprises here--like Snow White, true love's first kiss breaks the spell. Having said that, the Prince must fight a vile creature and her goblin assistants in order to save a recently deceased Princess Aurora. Some small children may find both Maleficent (Eleanor Audley, who also voiced another Disney villain--Lady Tremaine from Cinderella) and her goblins to be a little dark and scary. The scene in which Princess Aurora has fallen under Maleficent's spell, leading up to her pricking her finger on the spinning wheel, is kinda eerie as well and may frighten some small children. The music, again taken straight from Tchaikovsky's "Sleeping Beauty" suite, is at it's most intense and creepy moments, intensifying the scene in the movie. While I would not say that there is too much drinking in the film, there is a scene in the movie in which King Stephen and Prince Philip's dad are drinking toasts to the wedding of their children. In the same scene, the lute player is scene drink and hiccuping into his instrument. While humorous, some more conservative parents may be put off by this scene and it can easily be skipped over without missing part of the movie or storyline.
On a positive note, Princess Aurora represents the Disney-stereotypical princess--selfless, beautiful, and (arguably) gullible. She's also fair, kind, and full of love for the fairies who raise her. The fairies act more like sisters in a family, sibling rivalry and all, and parents can use that to help quarreling siblings solve problems (because there obvious is real magic that will solve life's solutions).
You be the judge. I find the movie to be fairly mild, but don't give your kids nightmares over it.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bysreennameprotec... March 18, 2010
terrible role models for boys and girls. That a princess walks around and picks berries with her life and a prince makes life perfect despite what may be his personality? and that there is a happily ever after when relationships actually take work and people also work. It is gross.