Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Smallfoot

Fun, feel-good animated musical offers positive messages.

Adult Written byElemental cat March 12, 2019

Light and fun, but has a dark side to it

I’m sure all ages will enjoy this movie. While being light hearted and kid friendly, it also has dark parts to it.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byehemming March 9, 2019

Stand for the truth

The central themes of this movie are that standing for the truth no matter what is important and not letting fear control you or stop you from finding and standing up for the truth. These are hard themes to include in a kids movie but they handled it masterfully. Besides that, it's also very fun! My sensitive five-year-old (who cried over the Yeti throwing Rudolph off a cliff in the classic claymation movie) wasn't afraid of the violent scene that explains the yeti's fears and laughed out loud at several parts, in fact, like when the main yeti character first goes to talk to the main human character but ends up terrifying him instead. The fears all seemed to be explained in a way that made sense to her without being scary to the viewers. This is one movie that my whole family would be happy to watch over and over again.

Adult Written byLeiaPotter March 9, 2019

Great movie, slight anti-Christian sentiment

This movie was cute and funny, my kids laughed at several parts and the characters are lovable. There is a slight anti-Christian undertone: There is a set of tablets that are the beliefs and rules of their village and are not to be questioned. The characters find out that one stone is wrong and "if one is wrong the could all be wrong". I think if you are taking it at face value though and dont get too lost in that you can enjoy this movie. And children wont pick up on that. Overall a good movie!

Adult Written byTwoDrummers February 26, 2019

Interesting comments on faith

When I first saw this movie, I was very disappointed by the obvious underlying anti-religion message. I came here and read a lot of reviews after having seen it. As I read one after another bashing the anti-religion message I was saying "Yeah! Exactly!" Then I came across some thought provoking reviews by some apparently very devout Christians, and I began to see another view. Yes, this movie has an anti-religion message, but some could argue that Jesus had a very anti-religion message. If you want to see this movie with your children, I would encourage you to read all of the reviews here, especially the longer ones. I won't bother rehashing what has already been said. I would just encourage you to have a discussion with your kids about faith vs. religion.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byamrijane February 15, 2019

Better than I expected

I really enjoyed this movie with my kids ages 3, 8, and 12. I typically go into children's movies with a skeptical eye because of all of the flashy, over the top violence, stereotypes, predictable plot lines, and damsel in distress situations. That being said, I found Smallfoot to be a great choice that really was not scary and had some great messages about being curious, questioning, open to new ideas, and speaking truth to power. Spoiler: I appreciated how the two species ultimately let curiosity for each other rather than fear win out so that they could co-exist. I also appreciated larger vocabulary words and concepts that are not often found in children's movies. I was prepared to take my 3 year old to another room during the "scary" scenes but did not feel the need during the airplane crash or the history lesson. The airplane crash was very mild and seemed almost playful rather than frightening. The history lesson featured a great rap and some ominous undertones but the violence was depicted on stone carvings without much detail, so I let her stay and watch the movie. There are a lot of adult themes running quietly through the film that were great conversation starters but that many children probably wouldn't pick up on. My 8 year old was laughing hysterically at the the various falls, bonks, and injuries that happened. It wasn't graphic, and there were no lasting injuries. We all chuckled a fair amount throughout. However, my 3 year old said right before bed that she was scared so for those families who are extra cautious about this, maybe watch it first, then decide. I can see where some religious families would be offended since the movie opens with the Bigfoots' ideas of how their world was born from the butt of an Ox and the "truths" told on stones are actually fabricated. However, many families of faith may be able to use this as a conversation specific to their own beliefs: on the matter of people hiding behind religion rather than practicing it, the concept of other beliefs, the role of religion, etc. Just a matter of personal level of comfort I suppose. In all, I was very pleased and thought this movie was funny, thought-provoking, and not too scary. A good, fun movie with themes for modern times.

Parent Written byJon P. February 8, 2019

Parent of a 6 year old Written byTampaJim January 26, 2019

Great family fun.

Charming characters interact with each other in wholesome manner. Fun family movie!
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySehnert January 18, 2019

Integrity

Love the message of this film. Both my kids Age 6 and 8 loved it. It brought up conversation about doing the right thing even when it's tough or costs you something and other conversations about religion and not blindly believing everything you hear but comparing it with the truth of God's word.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byElizabeth B. January 12, 2019
The whole family enjoyed it!

Adult Written bySmallArmyMomma January 2, 2019

Great movie for kids

Cute movie for kids. I read other reviews and was scared to let my kids watch it cause I am very picky when it comes to what I show my kids. But honestly this movie is SAFE for kids to watch. The airplane crash is not scary, the pilot is fine after it. My kids weren’t scared, they actually loved the movie. It teaches kids to know what true and seek after the truth!
Adult Written byFlib1 December 28, 2018

Superb animated movie with a great message

It's been a while since an animated movie made us laugh out loud, but this one managed it regularly, so for that alone it earns itself a positive score in my mind. But further to that, it conveys an excellent message regarding the value of truth and the questioning of long held tradition. I can see how the movie would be deeply uncomfortable for religious parents watching it with their children. Which is great. In all it seems to have taken Carl Sagan's quote, 'But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' and made a movie about it. So, all in all, great message, great animation, great songs and funny. Best kids movie in a while.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byUm e Hashir December 22, 2018

My four years old loves it

I will not go for an in dept review of the movie but I want you guys to know that as a parent, I love it. It's a beautiful movie to watch with your kids. It has a positive message for both parents and children. Difference of perspective and trying to understand each other's is the basic message conveyed by this sweet animated movie.. It has though some display of destruction.. Also the story is a bit complicated for a four years old.. So you are going to have to explain it to her if your little one is as young as mine. But overall my daughter loves it. I asked her what does she think of the movie and she says she loves it. She says it's funny and a little scary. But I wanna watch it again. So that's that. Have fun watching it with your little ones.

Adult Written bymcpulanco December 12, 2018

Parent Written byJessa_Listen December 11, 2018

Small Foot...Big Conspiracy

Small Foot is a cute, feel good kid's movie with an underlying adult message about conspiracy theories ie NWO, social programming and mind control. This review will focus on the adult messages behind the cute cartoons. Migo (friend in Spanish) is a yeti whose life is forever changed when he comes acrosd a plane crash and meets a "small foot" ie human. The yeti world is ruled by an elite ruler who literally wears a cape made of stones with pictures of the ancient rules that dictate every aspect of their life. One of those rules is that Small Foot do not exist. So by speaking out about what he saw, and refusing to lie and take back his experiences, Migo is exiled. Then begins a big adventure... As the movie progresses just who these elite rulers are is unveiled in a masterful scene with Common rapping. The scene includes flashes of NWO symbols (according to conspiracy theories) including triangles, pointing to one eye/Eye of Horus and a the horned yeti look suspiciously like Baphomet. It is revealed that the elite rulers control the population through rules and rituals that serve only to keep the truth from the masses. There are specific words used like waking up (to the truth). The rules are so thoroughly engrained that the yeti just go along and never question...the stupidity of the "sheeplr" is shown by Migo's father, whose job is to wake up the sun every morning. He straps himself on a sling shot and bashes his head against a stone til he goes bald. Migo learns the elite created a world of lies and keep the population in it controlled and complacent. The elite say this is necessary to protect themselves. Migo is then pressured to go along with the lies and participate in the conspiracy; promised a life of comfort if he does so. The battle of the movie about living the lie vs exposing the truth and daring to live on the other side. Its a surprisingly deep message for a kid's movie.

Adult Written byBethWoof December 9, 2018

Enjoyable with a great message

Just saw this with my 6 year old and was very touched by the themes. She really enjoyed the characters and music. There are a lot of reviews on here by offended religious people. It's sad to me that they could watch it and not grasp the truth telling. I was raised in a religious household and pretty much everything in this movie reflects my childhood experience as a curious, questioning, critical thinker up against adults who simply believe what they are told by authority figures and act out of fear instead of love. I very much appreciated the messages of this movie around courage, love and community. I don't think my young child understood those messages as clearly as I did but it is a movie I look forward to watching with her when she is older and using as an example when I talk to her about the danger of organized religion using fear and ignorance to maintain power over the people. I recommend this movie for people who hope their children are able to grasp nuance and stand up to oppression, but I also hope some true believers also watch it and maybe have a small twinkle of intelligent thought about questioning leaders who claim to have all the answers.

Parent Written byDeb M. November 5, 2018

Sweet movie

Adult Written byFrazer Scott October 26, 2018

I went with my kids and they loved it bar the 3 year old who said she was bored and it was sometimes scary. It was funny even for me, my 8 year old said one of the best films ever.

Adult Written bySpoopy2510 October 21, 2018

Nothing special, but fun and surprisingly kind of interesting...

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS! One thing to keep in mind is that Smallfoot is not the most original or mindblowing movie, but that really doesn't mean it's bad: First, it's fun enough for kids. It has a fun, expressive animation that even manages to look quite pretty at times, catchy songs, funny enough jokes and likable characters. It's pretty standard as far as animated family movies go, but hey, there's nothing wrong with that. However, there are some things that make it pretty unique. I just hope the parents can get past the poop/fart jokes, few lamer jokes and the cringy as heck Under Pressure part... Now for the more spoiler-y part... First off, I really liked the kind of "white-and-gray" morality this movie had. What do I mean by that? This movie has NO ACTUAL VILLAIN and everything bad in the movie is caused thanks to genuine misunderstanding, fear and desire to remain safe and keep others safe as well (both on the side of humans and yetis), not out of malice. And this is thanks to a small, but important decision to keep a language barrier between the humans and the yetis. The humans did attack and kill yetis in the past, but that's only because they see them as big, hulking monsters that could potentionally kill them as well. The closest this movie has to an antagonist is a yeti who distrusts humans because of this and wants to keep the village safe, so he tells them that humans do not exist. And he changes his ways at the end. I think it's really interesting to have a kid's movie that doesn't really have a villain - someone you are supposed to hate and completely disagree with. Just a bunch of scared, confused characters. If a character makes an action you can see as "bad", you can still understand where they are coming from. I see that quite a few people think that this movie is anti-religion, but I honestly don't see it like that. I think it's just supposed to teach kids that they cannot always trust what other people tell them and that they should always remind open-minded and curious about the outside world, because if you aren't, you will just remain sheltered and judge others. Also, I know it can be seen as anti-authority as well and I guess that is kind of true, but the thing is, the movie potrays the "authority" as an actual person who has genuinely valid points - they may not be RIGHT, but they are valid and you can symphatize with them. They act the way they do because they want to protect you, not out of selfishness or anything. I also like how the ending is very uplifting and optimistic, but at the same time, you don't know for 100% if absolutely everything is going to be okay... All in all, I think this movie teaches kids about values of curiousity, open-mindedness, searching for the truth, understanding the opinions and views of others while standing up to your own, integrity and shows why lying, prejudice (through not to the same extent as, say, Zootopia) and living in constant fear are bad in a fairly interesting manner while still being fun and simple for kids to understand. Again, nothing amazing or mindblowing, but I still reccommend it for families who want a nice, fun, feel-good movie with a great message and I guess some scary moments... (Note: I am not from an English-speaking country and only watched this movie in a foreign dub, so I can't comment much on the language...)

Adult Written byGamer4056 October 18, 2018

Adult Written byBigbootyluci October 17, 2018

Very cute - not mind blowing but GREAT for little kids!

The movie had every kid 2+ cracking up, lots of silly slapstick humor. Hearing all the little kids cracking up made me laugh so I really enjoyed it. It is light hearted and fun, certainly not my favorite kids movie though. I really liked that it showed the Yeti's perspective, that they are just as scared of humans as humans are of them which sent a very positive message about not judging what you don't understand. It also had a great message about questioning things that don't make sense and being truthful to yourself. Great lessons that kids can never learn too early!