Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Smallfoot

Fun, feel-good animated musical offers positive messages.

Adult Written byTwoDrummers February 26, 2019

Interesting comments on faith

When I first saw this movie, I was very disappointed by the obvious underlying anti-religion message. I came here and read a lot of reviews after having seen it. As I read one after another bashing the anti-religion message I was saying "Yeah! Exactly!" Then I came across some thought provoking reviews by some apparently very devout Christians, and I began to see another view. Yes, this movie has an anti-religion message, but some could argue that Jesus had a very anti-religion message. If you want to see this movie with your children, I would encourage you to read all of the reviews here, especially the longer ones. I won't bother rehashing what has already been said. I would just encourage you to have a discussion with your kids about faith vs. religion.

Parent Written byJon P. February 8, 2019

Parent of a 6 year old Written byTampaJim January 26, 2019

Great family fun.

Charming characters interact with each other in wholesome manner. Fun family movie!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bypoopMaster December 22, 2018

Anti-religious communist undertones

This is an anti-religious piece of leftist propaganda. If that's your thing, you will love it. If it is not your thing you will not.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byemily.jipson December 4, 2018

Not a bash on religion, rather an encouragement to understand your faith

A lot of reviews are saying that this film criticizes those who have religion and faith. As a Christian, I think that this film is more so about learning to find out the truth for yourself rather than trusting that others are telling you the truth. This is really blind faith versus head and heart knowledge. In church, my children and I are taught to compare what our Pastor says and what the world says to what is actually written in our Bibles. We are to take it another step further by learning the context behind the texts and to compare accuracy between multiple translations to the original Hebrew or Greek using a concordance. From here, our faith comes from the knowledge we have learned that's now in our heads and from what we believe in our hearts instead of accepting what one person says as truth. Small Foot is doing this in its own way. Migo and friends have questions about their religion because certain things do not make sense. Instead of trusting what one person has told them, they do the research themselves and find out that what they have been told is a lie. If you still have doubts, view the film first before your child watches it. Like I said above, do the research and make your decision based on what you know.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMomof2Kellys October 13, 2018

So unexpected!

So unexpected! I thought it was going to be just another cute disney animated film but found myself completely moved by the deep message behind this movie. A message of intergrety and self belief. Of seeking the truth even when everyone is against you and in your darkest hour. If you don't want your children to have their own opinions or have an open mind or question religion - this movie is not for you. If you are comfortable having in-depth open dialog about life with strong minded independent children like mine then you ROCK and you will love this movie as much as I did. My kids loved it too!!!

Adult Written bygreyes9 October 5, 2018

Favorite Movie of the Year!

This film encourages investigating truth for oneself and not following traditions blindly. I loved that there was no "bad guy." Well-rounded characters who are loveable and courageous. Definitely worth seeing!

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bygkoberstein September 29, 2018

Language?

Common sense review about language: "Infrequent use of words including "butt," "crap," "stupid," "jerk," "sucks"... Hmm. Maybe it's just me, but in our home we don't talk to one another using those words, wouldn't want my kids talking to their friends or teachers using those words, and never use those words talking to my colleagues or patients using those words. Whenever I hear people using derogatory language to describe others or use that language mixed into their regular dialogue, it always takes me back. Not what I consider"curse words", just not would rather someone use their brain to come up with something better. Also not sure when the 10 commandments became the 10 suggestions. Last I checked, taking the Lord's name in vain, is counted as bad language.
Adult Written bynduns September 27, 2018

A good film that almost wound up being great

I've been on the fence about this film since I saw the trailers. The teaser did very little for me, making this look like one of those typical comedies that takes a clever idea and wastes it on a barrage of forced jokes. The more I learned about the plot, the more interested I got, but ultimately, I wasn't really looking forward to it. (Well, okay, it did win me over when I saw a certain promotional clip online) But after seeing it, on the upside, it's better than I thought it would be. On the other hand, it doesn't quite reach beyond good, and it kind of gets to me because I feel like this could have been great. See, there is nothing necessarily bad I can say about this film (Well, except for the ending, but I'll go further into that in a bit) but there's nothing remarkable I can say. Every so often, this film introduces a brilliant concept, and every time, I feel like it almost nails it but then pulls back at the last second because it's a family film. For instance, the plot is centered around totalitarianism. The interactions between the main leads are great, especially the miscommunication between them at first. But, again, it's all done reasonably well, but it also feels like the film is afraid to go all the way with this stuff. As for the ending, without spoiling anything, they set up a really good and different kind of ending, very bittersweet, something I was not expecting at all. Then it pulls the same stunt The Croods did and keeps going, ultimately retconning what could have been the ultimate highlight of the film. But, again, there are more than enough positives for me to say this film was worth seeing. The biggest shock for me is that it's a musical with original songs (Well, one of them is basically the film's own version of 'Under Pressure', but they do enough to make it its own thing) and the songs are well-done. Granted, they're not exactly anything special and sound like they may have taken a little too much inspiration from Frozen, but they're still good and at least a couple of them I found memorable. The characters, again, are likable enough and the main leads work well off of each other. The humor did very little for me at first, but it picked up significantly after the first 10-20 minutes. I also admire the fact that this film didn't go the straight-up comedic route I thought it would and actually has a sense of heart, plus any family film that doesn't feel like it needs to have a villain at least gets a few bonus points from me. All-in-all, Smallfoot is a good film. Not great, but good. If you're curious, it's worth it.

Adult Written byDdaisy April 30, 2019

Great movie

I thought this was a very funny movie. The illustrations are beautiful. Lots of funny parts. There was a great story line. The one bad thing is that it insulted the 10 commandments and the Christian faith. Overall very enjoyable, and I recommend it. I have watched it 5 times.

Adult Written byElemental cat March 12, 2019

Light and fun, but has a dark side to it

I’m sure all ages will enjoy this movie. While being light hearted and kid friendly, it also has dark parts to it.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byehemming March 9, 2019

Stand for the truth

The central themes of this movie are that standing for the truth no matter what is important and not letting fear control you or stop you from finding and standing up for the truth. These are hard themes to include in a kids movie but they handled it masterfully. Besides that, it's also very fun! My sensitive five-year-old (who cried over the Yeti throwing Rudolph off a cliff in the classic claymation movie) wasn't afraid of the violent scene that explains the yeti's fears and laughed out loud at several parts, in fact, like when the main yeti character first goes to talk to the main human character but ends up terrifying him instead. The fears all seemed to be explained in a way that made sense to her without being scary to the viewers. This is one movie that my whole family would be happy to watch over and over again.

Adult Written byLeiaPotter March 9, 2019

Great movie, slight anti-Christian sentiment

This movie was cute and funny, my kids laughed at several parts and the characters are lovable. There is a slight anti-Christian undertone: There is a set of tablets that are the beliefs and rules of their village and are not to be questioned. The characters find out that one stone is wrong and "if one is wrong the could all be wrong". I think if you are taking it at face value though and dont get too lost in that you can enjoy this movie. And children wont pick up on that. Overall a good movie!

Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byMark J. January 5, 2019

Atheist Propaganda with a Thin Slapstick Veneer

If you've ever heard atheists on the Internet bashing religion, you've already seen the first third of the movie. The Yetis have a system of rules written on stone tablets filled with ludicrous myths that turn out to be a set of deliberate lies known to the community leaders and conceived to control the Yeti population through fear. But thankfully a secret society of wacky truth-seekers will teach the sheeple to think for themselves! By which, of course, we mean completely destroy and abandon all of their traditions and join the modern human world. It's actually completely hypocritical, because when the Yeti leader lies to protect the Yetis from extinction, it's bad, but when the human lies to protect the Yetis from extinction, it's good. And it claims to be about 'truth' except it's not enough for the Yetis to know the truth but continue living their traditional lifestyle, they have to abandon their traditions to live happily. I'll admit that I laughed out loud at a couple of points - the comedic pacing and visual comedy are pretty good, though it suffers from crass asides like most 'for kids' movies.
Parent Written byDeb M. November 5, 2018

Sweet movie

Adult Written byFrazer Scott October 26, 2018

I went with my kids and they loved it bar the 3 year old who said she was bored and it was sometimes scary. It was funny even for me, my 8 year old said one of the best films ever.

Adult Written bySpoopy2510 October 21, 2018

Nothing special, but fun and surprisingly kind of interesting...

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS! One thing to keep in mind is that Smallfoot is not the most original or mindblowing movie, but that really doesn't mean it's bad: First, it's fun enough for kids. It has a fun, expressive animation that even manages to look quite pretty at times, catchy songs, funny enough jokes and likable characters. It's pretty standard as far as animated family movies go, but hey, there's nothing wrong with that. However, there are some things that make it pretty unique. I just hope the parents can get past the poop/fart jokes, few lamer jokes and the cringy as heck Under Pressure part... Now for the more spoiler-y part... First off, I really liked the kind of "white-and-gray" morality this movie had. What do I mean by that? This movie has NO ACTUAL VILLAIN and everything bad in the movie is caused thanks to genuine misunderstanding, fear and desire to remain safe and keep others safe as well (both on the side of humans and yetis), not out of malice. And this is thanks to a small, but important decision to keep a language barrier between the humans and the yetis. The humans did attack and kill yetis in the past, but that's only because they see them as big, hulking monsters that could potentionally kill them as well. The closest this movie has to an antagonist is a yeti who distrusts humans because of this and wants to keep the village safe, so he tells them that humans do not exist. And he changes his ways at the end. I think it's really interesting to have a kid's movie that doesn't really have a villain - someone you are supposed to hate and completely disagree with. Just a bunch of scared, confused characters. If a character makes an action you can see as "bad", you can still understand where they are coming from. I see that quite a few people think that this movie is anti-religion, but I honestly don't see it like that. I think it's just supposed to teach kids that they cannot always trust what other people tell them and that they should always remind open-minded and curious about the outside world, because if you aren't, you will just remain sheltered and judge others. Also, I know it can be seen as anti-authority as well and I guess that is kind of true, but the thing is, the movie potrays the "authority" as an actual person who has genuinely valid points - they may not be RIGHT, but they are valid and you can symphatize with them. They act the way they do because they want to protect you, not out of selfishness or anything. I also like how the ending is very uplifting and optimistic, but at the same time, you don't know for 100% if absolutely everything is going to be okay... All in all, I think this movie teaches kids about values of curiousity, open-mindedness, searching for the truth, understanding the opinions and views of others while standing up to your own, integrity and shows why lying, prejudice (through not to the same extent as, say, Zootopia) and living in constant fear are bad in a fairly interesting manner while still being fun and simple for kids to understand. Again, nothing amazing or mindblowing, but I still reccommend it for families who want a nice, fun, feel-good movie with a great message and I guess some scary moments... (Note: I am not from an English-speaking country and only watched this movie in a foreign dub, so I can't comment much on the language...)

Adult Written byGamer4056 October 18, 2018

Adult Written byBigbootyluci October 17, 2018

Very cute - not mind blowing but GREAT for little kids!

The movie had every kid 2+ cracking up, lots of silly slapstick humor. Hearing all the little kids cracking up made me laugh so I really enjoyed it. It is light hearted and fun, certainly not my favorite kids movie though. I really liked that it showed the Yeti's perspective, that they are just as scared of humans as humans are of them which sent a very positive message about not judging what you don't understand. It also had a great message about questioning things that don't make sense and being truthful to yourself. Great lessons that kids can never learn too early!

Adult Written byAnndreaC3 October 15, 2018