Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Smallfoot

Fun, feel-good animated musical offers positive messages.

Adult Written byJF Knight October 8, 2018

Positive Message & Cute

Smallfoot might lack some of the extremely subtle dialogue in other animated films that give the grownups a chuckle, but it was perfect for the kids. I loved the main yeti's commitment to the truth and the team effort that unfolded. The writers also did a very nice job achieving a positive message by resolving the conflict through mutual understanding. Not very intense, nothing scary.. sort of like a combination between Trolls and Monsters, Inc. I also got a kick out of the Danny DeVito character having a mustache similar to his character in The Lorax. Good film. Take the kids, but be aware of a few mildly salty words like suck and crap.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byNailah1 January 3, 2019

Promotes athiesm

I was really shocked and turned it off after about 10 minutes. Really pushing an atheist agenda.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySehnert January 18, 2019

Integrity

Love the message of this film. Both my kids Age 6 and 8 loved it. It brought up conversation about doing the right thing even when it's tough or costs you something and other conversations about religion and not blindly believing everything you hear but comparing it with the truth of God's word.

Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byMark J. January 5, 2019

Atheist Propaganda with a Thin Slapstick Veneer

If you've ever heard atheists on the Internet bashing religion, you've already seen the first third of the movie. The Yetis have a system of rules written on stone tablets filled with ludicrous myths that turn out to be a set of deliberate lies known to the community leaders and conceived to control the Yeti population through fear. But thankfully a secret society of wacky truth-seekers will teach the sheeple to think for themselves! By which, of course, we mean completely destroy and abandon all of their traditions and join the modern human world. It's actually completely hypocritical, because when the Yeti leader lies to protect the Yetis from extinction, it's bad, but when the human lies to protect the Yetis from extinction, it's good. And it claims to be about 'truth' except it's not enough for the Yetis to know the truth but continue living their traditional lifestyle, they have to abandon their traditions to live happily. I'll admit that I laughed out loud at a couple of points - the comedic pacing and visual comedy are pretty good, though it suffers from crass asides like most 'for kids' movies.
Adult Written bySmallArmyMomma January 2, 2019

Great movie for kids

Cute movie for kids. I read other reviews and was scared to let my kids watch it cause I am very picky when it comes to what I show my kids. But honestly this movie is SAFE for kids to watch. The airplane crash is not scary, the pilot is fine after it. My kids weren’t scared, they actually loved the movie. It teaches kids to know what true and seek after the truth!
Adult Written byFlib1 December 28, 2018

Superb animated movie with a great message

It's been a while since an animated movie made us laugh out loud, but this one managed it regularly, so for that alone it earns itself a positive score in my mind. But further to that, it conveys an excellent message regarding the value of truth and the questioning of long held tradition. I can see how the movie would be deeply uncomfortable for religious parents watching it with their children. Which is great. In all it seems to have taken Carl Sagan's quote, 'But knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable.' and made a movie about it. So, all in all, great message, great animation, great songs and funny. Best kids movie in a while.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byUm e Hashir December 22, 2018

My four years old loves it

I will not go for an in dept review of the movie but I want you guys to know that as a parent, I love it. It's a beautiful movie to watch with your kids. It has a positive message for both parents and children. Difference of perspective and trying to understand each other's is the basic message conveyed by this sweet animated movie.. It has though some display of destruction.. Also the story is a bit complicated for a four years old.. So you are going to have to explain it to her if your little one is as young as mine. But overall my daughter loves it. I asked her what does she think of the movie and she says she loves it. She says it's funny and a little scary. But I wanna watch it again. So that's that. Have fun watching it with your little ones.

Adult Written bymcpulanco December 12, 2018

Parent Written byJessa_Listen December 11, 2018

Small Foot...Big Conspiracy

Small Foot is a cute, feel good kid's movie with an underlying adult message about conspiracy theories ie NWO, social programming and mind control. This review will focus on the adult messages behind the cute cartoons. Migo (friend in Spanish) is a yeti whose life is forever changed when he comes acrosd a plane crash and meets a "small foot" ie human. The yeti world is ruled by an elite ruler who literally wears a cape made of stones with pictures of the ancient rules that dictate every aspect of their life. One of those rules is that Small Foot do not exist. So by speaking out about what he saw, and refusing to lie and take back his experiences, Migo is exiled. Then begins a big adventure... As the movie progresses just who these elite rulers are is unveiled in a masterful scene with Common rapping. The scene includes flashes of NWO symbols (according to conspiracy theories) including triangles, pointing to one eye/Eye of Horus and a the horned yeti look suspiciously like Baphomet. It is revealed that the elite rulers control the population through rules and rituals that serve only to keep the truth from the masses. There are specific words used like waking up (to the truth). The rules are so thoroughly engrained that the yeti just go along and never question...the stupidity of the "sheeplr" is shown by Migo's father, whose job is to wake up the sun every morning. He straps himself on a sling shot and bashes his head against a stone til he goes bald. Migo learns the elite created a world of lies and keep the population in it controlled and complacent. The elite say this is necessary to protect themselves. Migo is then pressured to go along with the lies and participate in the conspiracy; promised a life of comfort if he does so. The battle of the movie about living the lie vs exposing the truth and daring to live on the other side. Its a surprisingly deep message for a kid's movie.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byElliott and Gwen October 13, 2018

good for 5 year olds

not to much violence but ok for 5 years

Parent of a 12 year old Written byamrijane February 15, 2019

Better than I expected

I really enjoyed this movie with my kids ages 3, 8, and 12. I typically go into children's movies with a skeptical eye because of all of the flashy, over the top violence, stereotypes, predictable plot lines, and damsel in distress situations. That being said, I found Smallfoot to be a great choice that really was not scary and had some great messages about being curious, questioning, open to new ideas, and speaking truth to power. Spoiler: I appreciated how the two species ultimately let curiosity for each other rather than fear win out so that they could co-exist. I also appreciated larger vocabulary words and concepts that are not often found in children's movies. I was prepared to take my 3 year old to another room during the "scary" scenes but did not feel the need during the airplane crash or the history lesson. The airplane crash was very mild and seemed almost playful rather than frightening. The history lesson featured a great rap and some ominous undertones but the violence was depicted on stone carvings without much detail, so I let her stay and watch the movie. There are a lot of adult themes running quietly through the film that were great conversation starters but that many children probably wouldn't pick up on. My 8 year old was laughing hysterically at the the various falls, bonks, and injuries that happened. It wasn't graphic, and there were no lasting injuries. We all chuckled a fair amount throughout. However, my 3 year old said right before bed that she was scared so for those families who are extra cautious about this, maybe watch it first, then decide. I can see where some religious families would be offended since the movie opens with the Bigfoots' ideas of how their world was born from the butt of an Ox and the "truths" told on stones are actually fabricated. However, many families of faith may be able to use this as a conversation specific to their own beliefs: on the matter of people hiding behind religion rather than practicing it, the concept of other beliefs, the role of religion, etc. Just a matter of personal level of comfort I suppose. In all, I was very pleased and thought this movie was funny, thought-provoking, and not too scary. A good, fun movie with themes for modern times.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byElizabeth B. January 12, 2019
The whole family enjoyed it!

Adult Written byBethWoof December 9, 2018

Enjoyable with a great message

Just saw this with my 6 year old and was very touched by the themes. She really enjoyed the characters and music. There are a lot of reviews on here by offended religious people. It's sad to me that they could watch it and not grasp the truth telling. I was raised in a religious household and pretty much everything in this movie reflects my childhood experience as a curious, questioning, critical thinker up against adults who simply believe what they are told by authority figures and act out of fear instead of love. I very much appreciated the messages of this movie around courage, love and community. I don't think my young child understood those messages as clearly as I did but it is a movie I look forward to watching with her when she is older and using as an example when I talk to her about the danger of organized religion using fear and ignorance to maintain power over the people. I recommend this movie for people who hope their children are able to grasp nuance and stand up to oppression, but I also hope some true believers also watch it and maybe have a small twinkle of intelligent thought about questioning leaders who claim to have all the answers.

Adult Written byct1104 October 17, 2018

Fun and great messages!

Fun and entertaining movie! But with some great messages I will be talking to my 5yo son about in terms of always asking questions, seeking the truth, being brave in the face of opposition, having integrity and generally thinking for themselves and not being brainwashed by religious, media or government institutions. Oh and being accepting of those that don't live or look like us. Brilliant! A film for these times actually.

Adult Written byVitaminBea March 15, 2019

Toddlers love the music

Bright and fun, lively music, some funny parts. The music keeps smaller kids entertained easily, some brief potty humor. More serious theme about “being true” is meaningful for older kids

Adult Written byTwoDrummers February 26, 2019

Interesting comments on faith

When I first saw this movie, I was very disappointed by the obvious underlying anti-religion message. I came here and read a lot of reviews after having seen it. As I read one after another bashing the anti-religion message I was saying "Yeah! Exactly!" Then I came across some thought provoking reviews by some apparently very devout Christians, and I began to see another view. Yes, this movie has an anti-religion message, but some could argue that Jesus had a very anti-religion message. If you want to see this movie with your children, I would encourage you to read all of the reviews here, especially the longer ones. I won't bother rehashing what has already been said. I would just encourage you to have a discussion with your kids about faith vs. religion.

Parent Written byJon P. February 8, 2019

Parent of a 6 year old Written byTampaJim January 26, 2019

Great family fun.

Charming characters interact with each other in wholesome manner. Fun family movie!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bypoopMaster December 22, 2018

Anti-religious communist undertones

This is an anti-religious piece of leftist propaganda. If that's your thing, you will love it. If it is not your thing you will not.
Adult Written byDdaisy April 30, 2019

Great movie

I thought this was a very funny movie. The illustrations are beautiful. Lots of funny parts. There was a great story line. The one bad thing is that it insulted the 10 commandments and the Christian faith. Overall very enjoyable, and I recommend it. I have watched it 5 times.