All member reviews for Snow White and the Huntsman

Violent fairy tale isn't for kids but will attract teens.

Adult Written byThe_Reaper 6184 June 1, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

While Kristen Stewart proves she can act when cast in a movie that does not involve sparkling vampires or shirtless Native American werewolves, this is clearly Charlize Theron's movie. Children or pre-teens who have seen the last three "Harry Potter" films or any of the "Lord of the Rings" films should be fine, the warfare does not exactly go into "Braveheart" territory. Snow White is clearly meant to be a positive role model. She is brave and selfless, willing to sacrifice her life to better the lives of others. Charlize Theron's Queen Ravenna is a cold, heartless villain who places herself above anyone else, including her relentlessly devoted brother. Given the things she does, it is nearly impossible to sympathize with her, even after she states she's "been used by men". There is only one prolonged scene where she sucks out the youth of a young girl and the scene is vaguely similar to the dementors from the previously mentioned "Harry Potter" films. There's no nudity to speak of, with the exception of Theron's naked back, but there's a brief scene of sexuality early in the film. Overall, any parent who has children who would even be remotely interested in this film have nothing to fear while those with children under 13 should use some caution. After all, this is not Disney we're dealing with.
Parent Written byinformed Dad June 1, 2012

Snow white and the huntsman review

The movie snow white and the huntsmen was a movie I wanted to see, but I did not let my 12 and a half year old daughter see. So I decided to see if it was okay for her to see, and i saw it first. there are a few battle scenes but it is a very good film that keeps you on the edge of your seat, I now have let my daughter see it, however i would recommend this movie to children over 12.
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2012

Great Movie

this is one of the best movies i have ever seen. I do recomend this for 8 and up, it is great. See my parents don't approve movies before i see them, but this movie is great. A must see. There is violence, but its not like a slasher film with body parts everywhere. It does havea a good message : Never back down and you can furfill you dreams if you fight for them. I have seen many young kids around 5 in there, there is no nudity but a bare back and the woman is coming out of a tub but she covers up with her hands.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySosie98 June 2, 2012

Go and see it!

This movie was great! It completely surpassed my greatest expectations and had amazing cinematography. Kristen Stewart was twenty times better than in Twilight, and at one point almost brought me to tears. Chris Hemsworth was amazing as well as the Huntsman, and Charlize Theron was insane!! The special effects were amazing. I think common sense media was a little bit too hard on this movie with the violence. There was a lot of violence and death, but with the amount of death and violence in most modern movies this was much better. It was sooo good:)
Teen, 17 years old Written byRobbShowMovieReviews June 2, 2012

ggfg

Really good fairy tale has a dark style and is really fun
Teen, 14 years old Written byJUST-DO-IT June 1, 2012

snow white is serious fun

I loved the movie. It was dark, fun and exciting. if your kids can handle the lord of the rings or once upon a time, they will love this movie. the queen is creepy and snow white is great, its a really fun movie. i thought it was going to have lots of demons and a satanic storyline to it but it really wasn't, its about the same to once upon a time or the lord of the rings.
Adult Written bynew man June 1, 2012

want to see it but

i want to see this movie but i would like to warn parents of really little kids this is probably going to be more like once upon a time than the classic disney story and this will also probably be more of a scary tale than a fairy tale please keep in mind its pg13 for a reason and no one under 11 should probably see it no matter how family frendly it may seem
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen June 2, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

I saw Snow White kills the monsters seen on theaters.
Parent Written byireally<3movies June 2, 2012

Boring Beauty

The cinematography was gorgeous, but the movie was very dark. This is fine, except it was so drawn out. At one point I nudged my friend who saw it with me and asked her "Are you liking this?" to which she replied "It's slow." The trailers show something much more exciting. I just thought it was very boring. Charlize Theron was awesome. Everyone else was okay, but not through their own fault. As far as violence, I think there's more on TV. I went by commonsensemedia.org and did not take my 10 year old to see this, but she could've easily handled it. I wouldn't go any younger, though. There's no sex, no bad language (except for "hell"), and any inuendo is very tame. And trust me - I'm a stickler about what my child sees at the theater! If you're into seeing wonderful effects and cinematography, this movie is a must see. If you want to be entertained, wait for the DVD. You will fall asleep.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycbarger June 2, 2012

Review

Parent Written byMusicRock668 June 5, 2012

Great Thiller Movie with outstand Effects !

this is Very dark Movie kirsten stewart really act in this movie there few scary parts so don't recommend it for young kids is violence but not that bad this movie feels like sticks to really true Snow white Fairy tale is very much like lord of rings tone and tv show Once a upon time it very good movie with Great Special Effects i recommend this movie For teens language is not too bad But really Good Movie is no sex for see queen bare back but covers her breast with hands so there no really nudity !
Educator and Parent Written byekg917 June 18, 2012

Worth Previewing to Consider Sharing With Your Kid

Although the bird-heart eating scene, which is VERY early in the movie, is more than a little disgusting, overall this was a very interesting twist on the Snow White theme. The only "sexy" bit was when you see the queen step into her milk bath (the whole thing was shown in the previews), and the only skin revealed is her back. Kids will see sexier things on a trip to the local pool or beach. The movie gave us lots to talk about, like how Snow White grew a spine, and went from being a victim to being a leader, and how the queen was rich and beautiful, and still not happy. Although it is dark and there is a lot of fighting, the violence is less intense than most video games. It's not a happy-Disney-Snow-White, but it is an exciting, intense and interesting story which my third-grader and I really enjoyed.
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2012

Amazing movie!

I really loved this movie, yes there is alot of violence which is the main concern. They din't really show much blood, but it is very violent. Amazing mogie
Kid, 12 years old June 3, 2012

Good but violent and dark

This movie was fantastic!!!!! Violence is on of the worst factors. There were lots of desturbing images of the evil queen when she was old and there was one scene where she eats song bird hearts. Sex was minimal. the only things are after the marrage of the evil queen and snow whites father, they are seen in bed together (no nudity) the father then gets on top of her and kisses her neck. she then kills him brutally.in another scene, the prince is trying to suduce snow white on her bed and she then stabs him with a nail. But it was really good ut not for young ones.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypurplebaron June 3, 2012

I loved this movie, but feel Snow White should have been casted better.

I like this movie, it was a great adventure film, one of the best ones Ive seen in a while. But I think Kristen Stewart shouldn't have been cast as Snow White. She kinda ruined the movie for me, sorry :(. The huntsman drinks alot. The movie is very violent, but I didn't think it wouldn't be. There is a bit of swearing, nothing too bad, and a man attempts to rape Snow White but she attacks him and runs away...... Overall, good movie, but bad casting choices. You hated Queen Ravenna with every fiber in your body, so did I, but I loved the casting choice. Charlize Theron was a great choice for the Evil Queen. However, I don't understand why Evil Queen was prettier than Snow White. I understand the whole "Beauty is Power" thing, but really?
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 June 2, 2012

Dark Fantasy Story Is Fine For Teens

This movie's special effects were great, which really helped the movie, considering it's a fantasy. The Violence is fairly strong and intense, wit some disturbing scenes. The whole atmosphere is dark. This is a good movie that I'd recommend primarily from 13-18.
Kid, 6 years old June 4, 2012

snow white and the huntsmen

this movie is really good. Lots of people would like it. It might not be a good movie for children just because I don't think that the children would like it. It is a good movie for teens. Most people would like it. There isn't much of anything bad that you wouldn't want you children to see.
Parent Written byAnBan June 13, 2012

Okay but...

Other than the violence that is prominent in this movie (sword fighting, wars, etc...) there were a few "disgusting" (my almost 12 year old's word) scenes during the first 15 minutes of the movie. Still, nothing that seemed to disturb my daughter who hasn't really been exposed to such movies before.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypocketMAD June 4, 2012

Great movie, neat plot

I saw this with a 9 and 13 year old. They both like it a lot. My 9 year old got a little bored by 1 ½ hours into it. It's a neat Snow White story with the evil queen, 7 dwarfs and prince charming and a handsome huntsman. The violence is all CGI so you don't see any gore or blood per se and no sex at all, just a kiss from the king to the new queen on their wedding night and of course Snow White gets a kiss too but from who? Prince or Huntsman?? There were tons of kids in the theater where I was at toddlers to old people.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySuperCoolEmu June 11, 2012

Over All Good!

It was a very well done movie and had Amazing actors and actresses. It had stunning visual effects and the dwarfs really stole the show. But it was also very violent, much different from the disney classic. I enjoyed this movie but felt that it might be a little scary for anyone under 13. Enjoy! A must see!