All member reviews for Snow White and the Huntsman

Violent fairy tale isn't for kids but will attract teens.

Kid, 12 years old July 3, 2013

Very violent... but good

This was overall a just fine movie, which I did enjoy. It was violent though. Several sword-fighting scenes, the most disturbing is when sharp, pointy tree branches stab through a man's back and are shown going through the front of him. One of the main characters is clearly drunk at the beginning and he is in a fight and stumbles with blurry vision. Good for kids 13 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookreader4Christ May 24, 2013

Better Than Expected!

My Mom and I saw this movie about six months ago...it was definitely better than expected! There were a few parts that I wish could have been left out, but overall it has a good story. POSITIVE MESSAGE Snow White and the Huntsman teaches that "beauty" is not found physically, but in innocence and purity. Ravenna (the evil stepmother) is obsessed with being pretty and staying young--so much so that she kills for it. Snow White, however, IS pretty, but what really shines is her character. Good message for young girls! POSITIVE ROLE MODEL Snow White is sympathetic and is compassionate. She is willing to sacrifice for others. VIOLENCE I'll admit, this movie is dark and brutal in places. There is a scene where Ravenna eats a bloody bird. Snow White stabs a man in the face with a nail. Ravenna steps into a fire to show her invincibility, and we see her face and neck covered in burns. A few scenes with blood. A main character dies. Other than that, there's some battle scenes, intense but not graphic. SEXUAL CONTENT This is why I give pause for 12-year-olds. There is a scene where Snow White's sleeves are slipping done and we see her bare shoulders. At the beginning, Ravenna and the king are in bed together (no skin shown--it's not even a sex-scene), with some mild innuendo. We see Ravenna's bare back later. Ravenna's brother tries to slip his hand up Snow White's shirt when she is laying down. The Huntsman unexpectedly cuts off part of Snow White's skirt while she is stuck in branches, and when he sees the freaked-out look on her face, he says, "Don't flatter yourself." My biggest beef is when Ravenna is coming out of the bathtub, and she has her hands covering her chest. LANGUAGE "Hell" is used. DRINKING The Huntsman is drunk at the beginning, and occasionally drinks. OVERVIEW Good story, but some of the content I would dub as inappropriate and unnecessary. Not as bad as it could have been, but I think--especially since we all associate Snow White as the young girl who gets lost in the woods and cleans the dwarves' house--that they added content simply to appeal to an older audience, forget the story's roots.
Teen, 17 years old Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 30, 2012

Too violent.

Really, this was too violent for me. I turned it off after the first 30 minutes. This isn't anything like Disney's version. I say watch the original instead. It's pretty much the same story but without violence and plus great songs. Overall I'd say this is the same as Cars 2. 3.5/10 because the visuals were nice.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoggyCat November 24, 2012

good movie, but doesn't have the "wow factor"

A very good movie, but there’s something that just doesn't give it that 5 star quality. It is, admittedly, one of the beat retellings of snow white I’ve seen in a long time. I liked the main heroin, and how she was portrayed as a stronger, tougher version of the classic princess. Instead of her jumping around singing about bluebells (which is basically the most interesting character point from most fairy-tail-with-a-twist movies and books) snow white is more action based. I like how the huntsman was played, and the quean was a nice dark version, and her evil felt real, not fake and more funny than scary. The bad points are properly the vast amount of violence (though it’s not all onscreen, some of it is more talk of violence, if you know what I mean) and the occasional scenes of gore. Not much in the way of kissing but there’s the odd few, and one or two sex scenes. I can’t remember any bad language (or at least not much of it), so sorry if there is a lot of it! Although there is hefty amounts of violence and the odd gory moment but I wouldn't give it a 15 and above rating. That’s not to say it's a PG film. I really liked this film, and I would recommend it to quite a lot of people. Just no-one under 12 as when I went to see it at the cinema, there was this sweet little 7 year old girl next to me, who obviously didn't like all the violence. So just bear all that in mind if you have younger children.
Kid, 11 years old October 20, 2012

Best movie EVER

Definetly not for kids under ten. It is a pretty scary, freaky, and creepy movie. But awesome movie for tweens and teens. Ravenna the evil queen sucks the life out of people. Litterally. She plans to stay young and beautiful forever. And she will kill anything to stay that way. In almost every queen scene she is naked, but covers up mostly. There are dwarves and a huntsman who drink too much. The Dark Army shatters into pieces when slashed. The is a positive message and role model, but definetly not for younger kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCuteNerdyBean23 October 12, 2012

Blech! A Boring Beauty

I saw this at home, luckily, meaning I wasn't tricked into buying a ticket. When I saw it, I tried to keep an open mind, despite the fact that it had Twilight's infamous Kristin Stewart as one of the two title roles. It started out relatively well; both of the child actors for Snow and Will were very good, some of the best actors in the movie, despite the fact that the girl who played Snow White as a girl was rosy and freckled with brown hair and pink lips, nothing like what she is described to be at the beginning. (I can't blame the girl for that; as I said before, she was really good, and I want to see more from her. Instead, I blame the makeup department.) I thought that the art film-esque special effects were a bit cheesy, but whatever, the movie still could have been good. The evil queen was pretty awesome, but her slight overacting and her Riff-Raff/Magenta relationship with her brother made me like her less, especially since, as far as I know, these two didn't have the excuse that they were aliens from another planet where it was okay for brothers and sisters to be lovers. Her backstory was interesting enough, and I would have much rather watched a movie about that than about Kristin Stewart. (Who, to nobody's surprise, again proved that she cannot act.) The Huntsman was pretty good, but why did he have a brogue? Everyone else seemed British or American. I didn't love the dwarves, and there were many strange plot-holes. For example, what was that conveniently-placed horse doing on that beaxh before Snow showed up? Working on it's tan? Why did Ravana's brother, whose name I think is Finn, tell the Huntsman that Ravana couldn't bring his wife back? What happened to the surprisingly interesting scarred women? And why, of all things, is Greta, the girl who Ravana sucked the life out of and turned into an old woman, in the final scene, young and beautiful and peachy-keen, clapping to Snow White's coronation? And what was the point of Will's character other than turning this into another version of Twilight? (Because that's exactly what the world needs... *eyeroll*) If, however, you still want to see this, here's what you should know: The special effects and costumes are beautiful, and the settings are breathtaking, but it tries too hard to be dark. While watching this, my parents and I actually broke out in laughter several times at the cheesiness of the script and acting. We could also point out things that were ripped out of the scripts of other movies and books: Dementors from Harry Potter, a magic forest that seemed a lot like the one from Avatar, the acting ability of Twilight, the list goes on and on... Also, I think Ravana's brother not only acts like Riff-Raff, but also seems to get fashion advice from him... Seriously though, he's creepy, and he looks like Riff-Raff. The huntsman is a widowed alcoholic, the characters swear in frequently, (things like crap and ass if I remember right) tons of slightly graphic violence, disturbing images, nude backs and an attempted rape. All in all, a pretty bad movie.
Kid, 9 years old September 22, 2012

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

bloody fantasy is good for teens and tweens
Teen, 17 years old Written byPeopleschamp1995 August 15, 2012

Better than all the others

Not bad
Kid, 9 years old July 23, 2012

No normal fairy tale

It was a great movie but it had a lot of violence. I don't recomend it to kids under 11 as it has violence and scary ideas. I loved the special effects,they were amazing
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2012

Fantastic movie but only kids 12 and up

This movie is very good, but I would only reccomend it for kids 12 and up. It has mature content and mature concepts. I thought it was great though. But there is a lot of violence in it. Be prepared to see a lot of blood, and other gruesome things in it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypatilly100 June 29, 2012

SnOw DISAPPOINTING!

This movie was okay, but the ending was just... bleh. **SPOILER ALERT** Snow White was pronounced Queen, but she didn't take the Huntsman to be her King. I thought that was very disappointing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTwilightGaga08 June 23, 2012

Not Your Grandma's Fairy Tale

This modern remake of the classic Disney movie is brilliant. It's dark, a bit scary, fun, and action-packed, not to mention that it has an incredible score. The cinematography is also gorgeous. It has all the makings of an excellent movie. It's. That. Good. A little slow, but very good. Snow White is a heroine for all. All hail the queen!
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

This was only OK, but not great. There was tons of war violence, and the Evil Queen sucked the life out of people. There was a sensuality (I would consider it Brief Sexuality if I was on the MPAA) scene early in the movie. A romance brews. The Huntsman and the Dwarfs drank frequently. This was good and worthwhile, but I've seen much better.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2012

COOL;-)

Great great great movie! It is not for the faint hearted..... Only the action lovers!!! It's just non stop action and more action and..... Thats about it!!:-)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovieguy97 June 18, 2012

Ok and visually stunning.

Needed more dialog and depth but still ok. It is visually stunning.
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2012

Um... depends on your intrests.

Before I even go into the iffy-ness of this movie, I'm going to tell you that it REALLY wasn't that good. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't really a movie you'd remember in a couple of years. In fact, it would probably have been more memorable if it HAD been that bad. Look, do you know why everybody says Kristen is boring, emotionless, and whiny? BECAUSE SHE REALLY IS. I TRIED TO IGNORE WHAT SHE DID IN THE TWILIGHT SAGA, AND SHE STILL WAS TERRIBLE. I really, REALLY, wanted her to be decent. But she really, REALLY, wasn't. And on top of her bad acting and poor lines (listen real close to them. Can't hear them? Well that's because all she does is gasp, and occasionally moan in pain!), she couldn't even close her mouth the entirety of the movie! At least Charlize Theron was half entertaining. So, is this movie inappropriate/scary? No for inappropriate, sort of for scary. It depends on what you dislike. Do creepy, eerie monsters scare you? If so, you're fine. However, if moderate gore and blood does, this movie might not be for you. Oh, and the brother of Ravenna is pretty creepy. He kinda tries to rape Snow White. BTW, NO POSITIVE ROLE MODELS! Trust me, you do NOT want your child to be like Kristen!
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2015

Dad took me to see this at age 9 when i had never seen anything violent. I SCREAMED in the movie theater!! But Dad took me to see this to see if I could watch LOTR which was LESS scary. But, I am glad I saw it because after I did Dad started introducing me to violent movies and I have loved them ever since. The movie overall is not that exciting unless you are a nine year old who has NEVER seen one violent thing before!
Kid, 9 years old December 7, 2014

Creepy

Very dark storyline and might scare kids under 13
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew October 17, 2014

Violent heartbreaking tale is too scary for little kids

My rating:PG-13 for violence,sexuality/nudity and scary images
Teen, 13 years old Written bybeautyshopbass April 5, 2014

Good movie, but a little "Ummm, should we change the channel?"

This was a very well made movie. The dwarves were really entertaining. However, some of the deaths or injuries were a little bit interesting. One minor character gets smashed into a spiky piece of wood which is a little scary. The queen is pretty inappropriate. She sucks the life out of people which is super freaky. She also is assumed to be naked at some parts. She goes into this like milk bath. You can't see anything but her back is showing bare. Also, they say some bad words, like "d***", "s***", and "p*****". Other than that, it's really good. Snow White is a great heroine.