All member reviews for Snow White and the Huntsman

Violent fairy tale isn't for kids but will attract teens.

Parent Written byinformed Dad June 1, 2012

Snow white and the huntsman review

The movie snow white and the huntsmen was a movie I wanted to see, but I did not let my 12 and a half year old daughter see. So I decided to see if it was okay for her to see, and i saw it first. there are a few battle scenes but it is a very good film that keeps you on the edge of your seat, I now have let my daughter see it, however i would recommend this movie to children over 12.
Adult Written byThe_Reaper 6184 June 1, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

While Kristen Stewart proves she can act when cast in a movie that does not involve sparkling vampires or shirtless Native American werewolves, this is clearly Charlize Theron's movie. Children or pre-teens who have seen the last three "Harry Potter" films or any of the "Lord of the Rings" films should be fine, the warfare does not exactly go into "Braveheart" territory. Snow White is clearly meant to be a positive role model. She is brave and selfless, willing to sacrifice her life to better the lives of others. Charlize Theron's Queen Ravenna is a cold, heartless villain who places herself above anyone else, including her relentlessly devoted brother. Given the things she does, it is nearly impossible to sympathize with her, even after she states she's "been used by men". There is only one prolonged scene where she sucks out the youth of a young girl and the scene is vaguely similar to the dementors from the previously mentioned "Harry Potter" films. There's no nudity to speak of, with the exception of Theron's naked back, but there's a brief scene of sexuality early in the film. Overall, any parent who has children who would even be remotely interested in this film have nothing to fear while those with children under 13 should use some caution. After all, this is not Disney we're dealing with.
Adult Written bychristian2011 October 27, 2012

A more darker theme to the old fairy tale. Good special effects though.

Snow White & The Huntsman isn't the "fairy tale" like Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, it's has a MUCH more darker theme to it, especially the violence and sexual content. The queen that Charlize Theron plays as is very cruel, sadistic and manipulative, killing anyone who even fails a single mission and will take advantage of anyone (even her brother) to achieve her striven goals. Her goal is to obtain Snow White's heart and that will make her immortal, and one scene is when she eats a bird's actual heart, which can be very disturbing. There are multiple fight scenes with some bloody results, an implied sex scene which turns to the evil queen graphically stabbing the king she married in order to obtain his throne, and there is some language but not strong at all (d*mn, h*ll).
Adult Written byNima Khalili October 5, 2012

Parent Written byMr. Barca April 21, 2013

Worst "Kids" Movie Ever

A rubbish film that should never have to be viewed by any human being
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

very dark and violent. not true to the original story.
Parent Written bymomoffourinaustin June 21, 2012

Awesome movie for mature teens and adults.

Charlize Theron is fantastic, Kristen Stewart is great, plot twists, great cinematography, music, etc. Dark, but very entertaining. I will go see it again soon.
Educator and Parent Written byekg917 June 18, 2012

Worth Previewing to Consider Sharing With Your Kid

Although the bird-heart eating scene, which is VERY early in the movie, is more than a little disgusting, overall this was a very interesting twist on the Snow White theme. The only "sexy" bit was when you see the queen step into her milk bath (the whole thing was shown in the previews), and the only skin revealed is her back. Kids will see sexier things on a trip to the local pool or beach. The movie gave us lots to talk about, like how Snow White grew a spine, and went from being a victim to being a leader, and how the queen was rich and beautiful, and still not happy. Although it is dark and there is a lot of fighting, the violence is less intense than most video games. It's not a happy-Disney-Snow-White, but it is an exciting, intense and interesting story which my third-grader and I really enjoyed.
Kid, 12 years old June 3, 2012

Good but violent and dark

This movie was fantastic!!!!! Violence is on of the worst factors. There were lots of desturbing images of the evil queen when she was old and there was one scene where she eats song bird hearts. Sex was minimal. the only things are after the marrage of the evil queen and snow whites father, they are seen in bed together (no nudity) the father then gets on top of her and kisses her neck. she then kills him brutally.in another scene, the prince is trying to suduce snow white on her bed and she then stabs him with a nail. But it was really good ut not for young ones.
Parent Written byireally<3movies June 2, 2012

Boring Beauty

The cinematography was gorgeous, but the movie was very dark. This is fine, except it was so drawn out. At one point I nudged my friend who saw it with me and asked her "Are you liking this?" to which she replied "It's slow." The trailers show something much more exciting. I just thought it was very boring. Charlize Theron was awesome. Everyone else was okay, but not through their own fault. As far as violence, I think there's more on TV. I went by commonsensemedia.org and did not take my 10 year old to see this, but she could've easily handled it. I wouldn't go any younger, though. There's no sex, no bad language (except for "hell"), and any inuendo is very tame. And trust me - I'm a stickler about what my child sees at the theater! If you're into seeing wonderful effects and cinematography, this movie is a must see. If you want to be entertained, wait for the DVD. You will fall asleep.
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2012

Great Movie

this is one of the best movies i have ever seen. I do recomend this for 8 and up, it is great. See my parents don't approve movies before i see them, but this movie is great. A must see. There is violence, but its not like a slasher film with body parts everywhere. It does havea a good message : Never back down and you can furfill you dreams if you fight for them. I have seen many young kids around 5 in there, there is no nudity but a bare back and the woman is coming out of a tub but she covers up with her hands.
Adult Written bynew man June 1, 2012

want to see it but

i want to see this movie but i would like to warn parents of really little kids this is probably going to be more like once upon a time than the classic disney story and this will also probably be more of a scary tale than a fairy tale please keep in mind its pg13 for a reason and no one under 11 should probably see it no matter how family frendly it may seem
Parent Written bydavidrox January 21, 2013

Such a dissapointment.

I couldn't get through the first thirty minutes, the acting was terrible, and the plot line made no sense. from what i saw there is a TON of senseless bloody and gory violence. My MPAA Rating is: PG-13 For strong intense violence and gore and mild sexuality
Parent Written byAnBan June 13, 2012

Okay but...

Other than the violence that is prominent in this movie (sword fighting, wars, etc...) there were a few "disgusting" (my almost 12 year old's word) scenes during the first 15 minutes of the movie. Still, nothing that seemed to disturb my daughter who hasn't really been exposed to such movies before.
Parent Written byMusicRock668 June 5, 2012

Great Thiller Movie with outstand Effects !

this is Very dark Movie kirsten stewart really act in this movie there few scary parts so don't recommend it for young kids is violence but not that bad this movie feels like sticks to really true Snow white Fairy tale is very much like lord of rings tone and tv show Once a upon time it very good movie with Great Special Effects i recommend this movie For teens language is not too bad But really Good Movie is no sex for see queen bare back but covers her breast with hands so there no really nudity !
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen June 2, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

I saw Snow White kills the monsters seen on theaters.
Teen, 17 years old Written byME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! June 15, 2012

Good movie !

The movie was amazing!! I loved it! I totally recommend it.The only thing that might scare the younger children its some of the fighting scenes.It also has a few funny parts that make you giggle.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypocketMAD June 4, 2012

Great movie, neat plot

I saw this with a 9 and 13 year old. They both like it a lot. My 9 year old got a little bored by 1 ½ hours into it. It's a neat Snow White story with the evil queen, 7 dwarfs and prince charming and a handsome huntsman. The violence is all CGI so you don't see any gore or blood per se and no sex at all, just a kiss from the king to the new queen on their wedding night and of course Snow White gets a kiss too but from who? Prince or Huntsman?? There were tons of kids in the theater where I was at toddlers to old people.
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2015

Dad took me to see this at age 9 when i had never seen anything violent. I SCREAMED in the movie theater!! But Dad took me to see this to see if I could watch LOTR which was LESS scary. But, I am glad I saw it because after I did Dad started introducing me to violent movies and I have loved them ever since. The movie overall is not that exciting unless you are a nine year old who has NEVER seen one violent thing before!
Kid, 9 years old December 7, 2014