All member reviews for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Animated classic is enchanting but also scary.

Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 5, 2010

a very timeless disney movie

I love this movie. It is very timeless. It is the greatest movie ever made. This is a very good movie. I like it. I highly recommeded it.
Kid, 7 years old November 28, 2009

this was the first disney movie ever made! thats why i like this movie.
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2011

My favorite princess

This is an amazing movie of girl who is being controlled by her step-mother who has seemed to have killed her father . I love this movie it can really bring a smile to your face when you watch it. A originally story about love and friend-ship.
Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written bylexington88 February 20, 2010

Doesn't Hold Up in 2010, Classic status is underserved

I recognize that this is considered a classic, and I'm no prude, but I find this movie to be inappropriate for 2 and 3 year olds. Aside from that, I just don't think it is very good. It meanders along at a slow pace and it's basically a series of disconnected scenes from different perspectives. The Queen is creepy and mean, she orders Snow White killed and to have her heart ripped out as evidence. She dies in the end and vultures go to presumably eat her. Snow White herself is a pretty silly character, with an annoying voice - there just isn't much to her. Even the dwarves just aren't that funny. It's time we stopped pretending this is such a classic - it doesn't hold up at all in 2010. Boring, violent, simplistic and sometimes offensive. I think all Disney animated movies have something to object to - but I'll take Beauty and the Beast and the Little Mermaid over this garbage any day.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJesuslover23 January 1, 2013

The beginning of the world's largest media company

For Disney to do this at the beginning, they did it very, very, well. Even though a few scenes might scare little kids, other kids might enjoy this. As far as language is concerned, there is some rude language including "slave" and "shut up". Grumpy also makes some sexist remarks against women. But, i think this movie is very good for its emotional feel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 10, 2010

Not the best Disney classic but okay

I kinda liked it. It was okay. Snow White was annoying, and her inability to stand up for herself is irritating, but I understand that's how the fairytales were. The dwarves were funny, and who could forget their little mining song? Parents need to know it has some iffy stuff. First, violence might scare litte kids, even though it's outdated. The huntsman almost kills Snow White. There's a scene where Snow White is trapped in the woods and its dark so the animals look scary. Also, there's a sweet kiss. Snow White isn't the best role model, but she isn't horrible. The good is that she's a loving, kind, polite young lady. The bad is that Snow's a steroetypical damsel-in-distress who dreams of being rescued by a cute guy. The witch is the stereotypical evil stepmother. SPOILER She marries Prince Charming after she met him. He saved her life, but she didn't even know him before. With that being said, Snow White is extremely sweet and shows that it's good to be nice to people
Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2015

best.movie.ever!!!!!!!!

I watched it 4 times in a few days, it's so good! Snow White is the most enchanting thing I have ever seen! It's so inspiring ! I also think that Snow White teaches karma. Snow White is kind to the animals and they're kind back.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydisneylove April 28, 2015

Classic, yet frightening at times.

SPOILERS BELOW! Snow White is a genuine sweetie who is hated by her stepmother. When she meets her "true love", she falls hard for him. Unknown to her, her wicked stepmother is hatching a plot against her. She seeks refuge in the woods when the evil woman tries to murder her. In the forest, she stays with seven little men who care deeply about her, and Snow White learns the real meaning of friendship. When the queen finally gets to her, and all things seem bleak, the prince is there to save the day. This is a classic, generic plot of a fairy tale. The very first Disney original animated feature film, it teaches children about the power of love. It also teaches kids to be kind to everyone. (Plus, they might get a little cleaning lesson in there! Just whistle while you work!) The only problem that I have with this movie is that the characters are not very dynamic. And the character of the evil stepmother may be too frightening for the kids. Cute, sweet little story but with its dark elements, may be intimidating. 3/5
Parent Written byC_Personality January 13, 2012

Evil vs. Innocence plot is too evil for 3-8 y/o target audience

We just watched this movie with our two daughters, 5 and 2. What a mistake!!! The movie turned dark very quickly, and the "Dark Arts", witchcraft, casting spells, evil and violence were just too much. This movie does not have a "good vs. evil" plot that sometimes makes the presence of dark plot lines work, when good triumphs over evil. The plot of this movie was "evil vs. innocence" where "true love" from a love-at-first-meeting encounter was what triumphed over evil. Although we used freeze picture, mute and fast forward several times, we still ended up with very objectionable content in our daughter's viewing. As a Christian, I don't believe that the witchcraft and evil in this movie is redeeming for any age. I do think that open discussion about the evil elements could be had with kids age 8 to 12. But I don't think that's the target audience of this movie. I suspect, based on the "Disney Princess" marketing, that the target audience is more like 3-8 year-old girls. We considered keeping the movie around until our girls are around 10 and 8 years old, and watching it again with further explanation/discussion about the negative elements, but decided that there were countless other choices for this type of "education" later on. We threw the movie in the trash, as we don't think it's acceptable content for the target audience (3-8 y/o girls) that would end up watching it secondhand.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2011

snow white at thwe school

it is soi educatinal that my school are doing rold dahl's version foe my whole school so that is my prof and i don't need facts to back it up. it has been a stoy for many, many, many year and has been chaned. it has even been turned into a few films.
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2010

My Rating: B+

This movie is 100% classic and very admiring. Slightly violent. Violent when the Queen sends a huntsman to kill Snow White. Somewhat scary when Snow White runs through the forest to be safe. The Queen looks scary once she makes a potion. Besides this I reccomend everyone can watch it. Probably not meant for boys to watch because they'll probably think it's "icky" and "gross" in the true loves kiss at the end. (I loved mimicking Snow White when she screamed when scared in the forest!)
Parent Written byanti-violence November 30, 2013

NOT FOR CHILDREN

thanks, Disney, for tying romance into these horrid ''kids'' movies. just disgusting. we rented it, but after the mercenary job, we just turned it off. I mean, they are deliberately trying to plant conditional love & hit men into the lives of our innocent children. Hope frozen isn't like this.
Educator and Parent Written byFosterFan September 21, 2011

Please, don't deny your kids the pleasure of watching this beautiful film.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is, and will always be, Disney's crowning achievement. Enchanting, fun, a little scary, but always sweepingly romantic, it's a perfect family film. Snow White is a model of sweetness and love for others. The Prince and the seven dwarves have unending love for the princess. But although this film is excellent, I must say, the Disney Princesses merchandise makes fun of the, almost always, strong women they created.
Parent Written byhjom July 7, 2011

Huntsman Lifting Knife above Snow White = Nightmares for Months

My 4 1/2 year old daughter suffered bouts of sleeplessness and nightmares after watching this movie. The scene in which the huntsman lifts the knife above Snow White was what particularly haunted her. It was surprising for me, since we read the Bible every night and have read the story of Abraham nearly sacrificing Isaac many times. I learned that for her, watching a depiction of something scary was much more frightening than just reading about it. To resolve her fear, we talked about the fact that the huntsman changed his mind and did not hurt Snow White. We discussed why the huntsman stopped rather than following through - he knew it was wrong, and that it was more important to obey God and not kill than to obey the Queen and kill Snow White. We talked about doing the right thing even when you're scared, since the huntsman was taking the risk of punishment if the Queen found out. Overall, I found the movie to be slow and boring - there just weren't enough cute or funny scenes to keep my interest in the slow plot.
Kid, 9 years old March 20, 2010

SCARY

Okay This movie really freaks me out and im nine . I like it but really scary
Teen, 15 years old Written byGwyneth Alice April 16, 2012

A Disney classic

I've been watching as many Disney movies as I can in chronological order, not only for enjoyment, but to compare, and this movie was of course the first on the list. I could see that this movie had a relatively simple plot, and several scenes designated for comic relief, such as the cleaning house scene and the dwarves' washing up (much too dragged out, in my opinion). The dwarves were primarily there for the comic relief, the evil queen for scare factor, and the prince for romance. While I felt the movie wasn't as focused on the plot at times, it was an excellent movie, and a definite classic. A few scenes will scare children, but everything is happy at the end, which can reassure children that good shall always triumph.
Adult Written byWaterNymph March 18, 2011

I can't believe someone had the gall to call this garbage....

This is a classic. Yes, there's a scary villain. What movie doesn't have a freakin' scary villain? Get over it. If you wanna talk about "garbage", let's talk about the inappropriate crap that "Disney" comes out with nowadays.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byChelseaK December 30, 2010

Personally I think it's okay for younger children to watch as long as a parent is with them to explain the mean people to them. My daughter enjoyed it.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

A Timeless Classic With A Scary Villain

First and foremost, Snow White is a product of it's time and that's important to remember when viewing this film. If it's stunning visual effects and strong soundtrack, seek other Disney entertainment. Disney did a phenomenal job of restoring this film for Blu-Ray format, last year, including a 7.1 HD-DTS soundtrack at 48Khz/24-bit. For a movie that was originally mixed for a monaural soundtrack, it sounds great. The movie has many positive attributes including Snow White's selflessness, kindness to others and animals, and a general sweetness and innocence that is easy for a viewer to see. The dwarves show generosity in allowing Snow White to stay with them, even though she sort of invites herself into their house and lives. Having said all of that, the Queen in this film, is one of the most wicked villains Disney has used in one of their full length feature films. The concept of killing Snow White with a hunting knife and putting her heart in a box is fairly creepy and this will scare some children. But the movie also teaches that vanity is bad (as demonstrated by the queen) and not rewarded favorably. As stated earlier, the movie is a product of its time. The animators working on this film were used to drawing Disney shorts with a sort of barnyard-type of humor and this is tame by comparison to many of those shorts. You'll see beer steins around the house of the seven dwarves, but alcohol is not consumed in the movie. Having said that, Snow White (the movie) is loosely based on the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale. Many of their fairy tales were scary and designed to frighten children into obedience or teach valuable life lessons. In regards to this movie, they succeeded. Snow White comes from the typical dysfunctional fairy tale family, having no father or siblings, and an evil step-mother. In today's age in which divorce rates in the US have reached the 50/50 percentage mark, it may be important to convey to your children at some point (if they have a step-mother) that not all step-parents are evil and if appropriate even suggest that the step-parent watch the movie with the children.
Adult Written byHyper-electronic July 1, 2010

Great movie for older children and adults!

When I was a little girl this movie was frightening to me (from about the age of 4 or 5 when I can first remember watching it). I wasn't able to fully appreciate the content of this movie till I was a little over 11 or 12 years old. This movie is definitely fine for older children. As a person who has a deep love for music, and appreciates all kinds, the voice of Snow White and the music in this movie in general could be considered musically educational. You just can't find women who can sing like that anymore. She has a very beautiful, 1930s style singing voice. The movie doesn't necessarily have the most positive message, but hey, it IS a fairy tale. The intent is to entertain and tug at your imagination. Snow White is definitely a positive role model in the aspects that she is innocent, kind, unselfish, caring, and a glass half full kinda gal. I definitely recommend it as a must see for anyone who loves fantasy and fairy tale romance, and music. Always a classic, no matter if it's 1938 or 2080.