All member reviews for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Animated classic is enchanting but also scary.

Parent of a 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bymommygalores January 16, 2011

Family Friendly Movie

Fave movie of all times.That is what me and my 6 girls think about this movie.Very heartwarming story about a quaint little princess who is very kind.Even when she found out the dwarfs were not orphans,she treated them with love still.I will admit the queen is a bit scary,but she is an example to young viewers.An example of sheer jealosy.Overall,a great movie for anyone.So go ahead an watch it.You will not regret it.
Parent Written byCooldee May 4, 2010
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 30, 2012

So much better than Snow White and the Huntsman.

The very first Walt Disney classic. Ah, 1937. A year without the violence and other bad stuff today's movies have. Only thing though, does anyone remember when Grumpy tells Doc to shut up? That wasn't labeled under language but it was there when he wants her (Snow White) to leave because "she don't belong here nohow".
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2012

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

This film sends out a great message that being vain doesn't do you any good.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byMuscleMan May 15, 2014

The world's first animated Disney flick.

Should be rated PG for some frightening moments and brief suggestive content.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

This is a great Disney Princess movie. I have to admit, the violence is a concern. My 2 yr. old first saw this movie when she was abut 1 1/2. The witch, magic mirror, and huntsman resulted in me having to calm down a screaming toddler. My 7 yr. old first saw this movie when she was 6. Even though the witch scared her, she handled it very well. She actually grabbed my hand and said "Mommy, it's just a movie. Don't worry."
Adult Written bysonakshi August 27, 2010
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

A Timeless Classic With A Scary Villain

First and foremost, Snow White is a product of it's time and that's important to remember when viewing this film. If it's stunning visual effects and strong soundtrack, seek other Disney entertainment. Disney did a phenomenal job of restoring this film for Blu-Ray format, last year, including a 7.1 HD-DTS soundtrack at 48Khz/24-bit. For a movie that was originally mixed for a monaural soundtrack, it sounds great. The movie has many positive attributes including Snow White's selflessness, kindness to others and animals, and a general sweetness and innocence that is easy for a viewer to see. The dwarves show generosity in allowing Snow White to stay with them, even though she sort of invites herself into their house and lives. Having said all of that, the Queen in this film, is one of the most wicked villains Disney has used in one of their full length feature films. The concept of killing Snow White with a hunting knife and putting her heart in a box is fairly creepy and this will scare some children. But the movie also teaches that vanity is bad (as demonstrated by the queen) and not rewarded favorably. As stated earlier, the movie is a product of its time. The animators working on this film were used to drawing Disney shorts with a sort of barnyard-type of humor and this is tame by comparison to many of those shorts. You'll see beer steins around the house of the seven dwarves, but alcohol is not consumed in the movie. Having said that, Snow White (the movie) is loosely based on the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale. Many of their fairy tales were scary and designed to frighten children into obedience or teach valuable life lessons. In regards to this movie, they succeeded. Snow White comes from the typical dysfunctional fairy tale family, having no father or siblings, and an evil step-mother. In today's age in which divorce rates in the US have reached the 50/50 percentage mark, it may be important to convey to your children at some point (if they have a step-mother) that not all step-parents are evil and if appropriate even suggest that the step-parent watch the movie with the children.
Educator and Parent Written byKatajojo September 18, 2016

The Good, the Bad, and the Way Too Scary.

In all stories of the times, in the 1930's, when this movie came out, villains were villains, and the queen in this "childs?" cartoon is no exception. She is no "cool" or "humorous," or "easily dealt with," villain, that Disney oftentimes uses nowadays for laughs, (i.e. Hades from the movie Hercules etc). She has no hilarious side kicks either, like Disney Villains do now. In this movie, bad is bad, good is good, and the twain shall never meet. Therefore, contrary to what ABC/Disney may have done to redeem the evil queen on their Sunday night series show, in THIS movie she has no positive qualities whatsoever. Point blank, this queen will officially scare your little ones, and give them plenty of concepts to fear, and much explanations will be needed from attentive parents. Such concepts that may be harmful to sensitive children, or children too young are: 1. Disney uses and makes the audience aware of such scary concepts as a parent dying and the child being left in the care of an abuser, then hated, and hunted to the death by the one in charge of your care. 2. Someone can poison food, in this case, an apple. 3. People able to turn into witches, or a different form 4. Might create a fear of sleeping and never waking up, because of a scene where she describes the whole poisonous apple concoction as, "the sleeping death." All while eerie colors and music, and eyes and skeleton heads abound in the dungeon. 5. The fear of being buried alive, by being thought dead when only sleeping. The queen makes cackles of laughter that Snow will be buried alive, because the dwarfs will believe she's dead instead of asleep. (a little too "tales from the crypt" for my liking, and not a scene for kids), then she mocks a dead skeleton on her floor by asking if he'd like a drink, and throws poison at it. (Still too creepy for my tastes for children). 6. The forest appears very scary to Snow at first. So her imaginings come to life, the trees try to grab her, fallen logs turn into snapping gators, etc. A little child won't make the connection that the woods didnt really grab Snow, etc and that those scenes were just an expression of the fear in Snow's mind, because...a) abstract realism is beyond little children's understand, and b) the show skims over it pretty quickly. 7. When the huntsman aims to kill snow. Bottom line on the scary for children: there's some fairly adult fear concepts I wouldn't want my child's mind exposed to at a young age. The buried alive concept being the top most #1 negative exposure concept I didn't like. Fear of falling asleep and never waking up being #2. THE GOOD: Tried and true "Happy ever after" story. Snow is kind, helpful, etc, and Disney uses this as an opportunity to teach kids (and I think they were targetting husbands as well,) in addition to entertaining. They use Snow as the vehicle to teach the dwarves (compaired to children, and then called "little" men - a term which was symbolic of men who are messy in the home and have bad habits ). There's a few etiquette lessons for the kids/husbands about cleaning up after themselves, making work fun, and taking a bath. The musical score is fabulous. All the songs you will recognize. Good is good and bad is bad. You always know who the good guys are. Snow PRAYS! The queen is struck down "by God" is the implication; lightening strikes her. THE BAD 1. The voice of Snow White is really quite warbling and annoying. 2. Too scary for children; has the potential of carry over (to bed time issues etc.) 3. Some very dated stereotypes about women and men, and dopey got his name bc he cant talk would not now be appropriate in today's showing for kids. Just a bit over the top for under 6 years old, or ANY child who ponders or harbors concepts longer than other children./>
Educator Written bymaddox121 February 19, 2016

Disney's first movie!

Violence- Some scary scenes, Snow white almost dies. Language- Minced oath "Jiminy Cricket" Sex- Kiss at the end Drugs- The apple is poisined
Teen, 14 years old Written byangelsmokey124 August 2, 2015
Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2013
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2013

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

The only bad thing about this movie is Snow White's voice can be annoying. The only thing that you might worry about is the scariness of it. When I was younger, I used to be scared of the part with the trees coming to life, but everything else was fine. The witch is also more creepy I'd say then scary.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byChelseaK December 30, 2010
Personally I think it's okay for younger children to watch as long as a parent is with them to explain the mean people to them. My daughter enjoyed it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJune12 March 9, 2016

Amazing classic movie

Common sense says Snow White and the seven drawfs is a 5 and up. Well they probably know best. But when I was little I loved pretending I was a princess. And around when I was 6 I stopped playing princess. Your children are only going to like princesses for a bit. In the world we live in they mature so fast. So why only leave a year for them to watch all the princess movies before they don't care about them. Snow White may have some scary parts but you can always fast forward those parts.
Adult Written byOldSchoolLad103 January 7, 2017

A Wonderful Classic Disney Movie

This Will Be My First Ever Common Sense Review I Have Always Loved Disney Ever Since I Was A Little Kid And There Were Amazing Movies Like Bambi, Lilo And Stitch, The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas And Many More, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Is A Wonderful, Amazing Classic Disney Movie For Everybody, Its The First Disney Movie Created by Walt Disney And The Walt Disney Animation Studios Company, Everything In The Movie Has Got Lots Of Good Stuff In It And Its Better Then Frozen In My Opinion.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent Written byHannibalPhil April 26, 2013

A true disney classic.

a very beautiful classic film, It brought back good memories. I think two scenes would scare children like the woods scene where snow white runs away, that was creepy as Hell (sorry for my language), like what were they thinking making that scene it would give kids nightmares, but hey it was back then, and definitely were the queen turns into the old women, that was scary, and how she look with her grin on her face like wow, incredible. and the most saddest scene with snow whites funeral, seeing all the dwarfs balling there eyes out, I even balled my eyes out too. In all a true classic.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy March 20, 2013

Wow.This movie is brilliant,well-excuted,mind blowing,jaw dropping,and out-of-this-world.

I really love this classic Disney film.The plot is creative and well-excuted.This is #6 in my favorite movies list.#5 is The Wizzard of Oz,#4 is Wreck-it Ralph,#3 is The Lorax,#2 is Alpha & Omega,and #1...the movie i'm a fan of the most is....RIO! The graphics in this film are really good.The action is also very good.So overall,this film is very well-excuted and amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJacob Haimovitz November 24, 2012

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Walt Disney's 1st movie

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is walt disney's first movie that is age appropriate for kids 5 and up but too scary for kids 4 and under