All member reviews for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Animated classic is enchanting but also scary.

Kid, 7 years old November 28, 2009
this was the first disney movie ever made! thats why i like this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 5, 2010

a very timeless disney movie

I love this movie. It is very timeless. It is the greatest movie ever made. This is a very good movie. I like it. I highly recommeded it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 10, 2010

Not the best Disney classic but okay

I kinda liked it. It was okay. Snow White was annoying, and her inability to stand up for herself is irritating, but I understand that's how the fairytales were. The dwarves were funny, and who could forget their little mining song? Parents need to know it has some iffy stuff. First, violence might scare litte kids, even though it's outdated. The huntsman almost kills Snow White. There's a scene where Snow White is trapped in the woods and its dark so the animals look scary. Also, there's a sweet kiss. Snow White isn't the best role model, but she isn't horrible. The good is that she's a loving, kind, polite young lady. The bad is that Snow's a steroetypical damsel-in-distress who dreams of being rescued by a cute guy. The witch is the stereotypical evil stepmother. SPOILER She marries Prince Charming after she met him. He saved her life, but she didn't even know him before. With that being said, Snow White is extremely sweet and shows that it's good to be nice to people
Parent of a 2, 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byBebita19 November 12, 2011

Good Life Lessons: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

This movie is a shining example of how we are to be selfless, generous, and kind. Snow White demonstrates that we can go places by having grace and her other character features. Talk to your child on how we must act like Snow White, and tell them that by being cruel and nasty, the queen ended up dead. Good movie for 3 and up. It teaches crucial life lessons. Don't miss it!
Parent Written byC_Personality January 13, 2012

Evil vs. Innocence plot is too evil for 3-8 y/o target audience

We just watched this movie with our two daughters, 5 and 2. What a mistake!!! The movie turned dark very quickly, and the "Dark Arts", witchcraft, casting spells, evil and violence were just too much. This movie does not have a "good vs. evil" plot that sometimes makes the presence of dark plot lines work, when good triumphs over evil. The plot of this movie was "evil vs. innocence" where "true love" from a love-at-first-meeting encounter was what triumphed over evil. Although we used freeze picture, mute and fast forward several times, we still ended up with very objectionable content in our daughter's viewing. As a Christian, I don't believe that the witchcraft and evil in this movie is redeeming for any age. I do think that open discussion about the evil elements could be had with kids age 8 to 12. But I don't think that's the target audience of this movie. I suspect, based on the "Disney Princess" marketing, that the target audience is more like 3-8 year-old girls. We considered keeping the movie around until our girls are around 10 and 8 years old, and watching it again with further explanation/discussion about the negative elements, but decided that there were countless other choices for this type of "education" later on. We threw the movie in the trash, as we don't think it's acceptable content for the target audience (3-8 y/o girls) that would end up watching it secondhand.
Kid, 12 years old March 8, 2014

SCARY

This movie is very scary for children under 8! There is an evil queen who asks people to bring back Snow White's heart!!!!! There are poison apples and a crazy old witch. This is very dark and depressing and has a lot of brutal death in it. It gave everyone I know nightmares!!! NOT RECOMMENDED FOR KIDS UNDER 8!!
Kid, 8 years old November 3, 2015

Really, Disney?

I Was 4 When I Saw This, And I Was TERRIFIED By The Evil Queen. I Still Remember The EYE PROJECTION I Had While I Was Awake In Bed. I Saw The Evil Queen, And She Screamed, Then I Screamed Back! It's Just Plain Old Terrible. You Really Did This, Disney?
Educator and Parent Written byFosterFan September 21, 2011

Please, don't deny your kids the pleasure of watching this beautiful film.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is, and will always be, Disney's crowning achievement. Enchanting, fun, a little scary, but always sweepingly romantic, it's a perfect family film. Snow White is a model of sweetness and love for others. The Prince and the seven dwarves have unending love for the princess. But although this film is excellent, I must say, the Disney Princesses merchandise makes fun of the, almost always, strong women they created.
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2010

My Rating: B+

This movie is 100% classic and very admiring. Slightly violent. Violent when the Queen sends a huntsman to kill Snow White. Somewhat scary when Snow White runs through the forest to be safe. The Queen looks scary once she makes a potion. Besides this I reccomend everyone can watch it. Probably not meant for boys to watch because they'll probably think it's "icky" and "gross" in the true loves kiss at the end. (I loved mimicking Snow White when she screamed when scared in the forest!)
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2016

Great for kids but bad role models

A great classic for little ones but Snow White is supposed to be dumb and beautiful, like most protagonists in Disney Princess movies. It has good messages but bad role models (such as Snow) and the huntsman decides not to kill her because she is a pretty little helpless girl. We don't want to be sending this message to our kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydisneylove April 28, 2015

Classic, yet frightening at times.

SPOILERS BELOW! Snow White is a genuine sweetie who is hated by her stepmother. When she meets her "true love", she falls hard for him. Unknown to her, her wicked stepmother is hatching a plot against her. She seeks refuge in the woods when the evil woman tries to murder her. In the forest, she stays with seven little men who care deeply about her, and Snow White learns the real meaning of friendship. When the queen finally gets to her, and all things seem bleak, the prince is there to save the day. This is a classic, generic plot of a fairy tale. The very first Disney original animated feature film, it teaches children about the power of love. It also teaches kids to be kind to everyone. (Plus, they might get a little cleaning lesson in there! Just whistle while you work!) The only problem that I have with this movie is that the characters are not very dynamic. And the character of the evil stepmother may be too frightening for the kids. Cute, sweet little story but with its dark elements, may be intimidating. 3/5
Kid, 9 years old May 10, 2015

best.movie.ever!!!!!!!!

I watched it 4 times in a few days, it's so good! Snow White is the most enchanting thing I have ever seen! It's so inspiring ! I also think that Snow White teaches karma. Snow White is kind to the animals and they're kind back.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJesuslover23 January 1, 2013

The beginning of the world's largest media company

For Disney to do this at the beginning, they did it very, very, well. Even though a few scenes might scare little kids, other kids might enjoy this. As far as language is concerned, there is some rude language including "slave" and "shut up". Grumpy also makes some sexist remarks against women. But, i think this movie is very good for its emotional feel.
Parent Written byhjom July 7, 2011

Huntsman Lifting Knife above Snow White = Nightmares for Months

My 4 1/2 year old daughter suffered bouts of sleeplessness and nightmares after watching this movie. The scene in which the huntsman lifts the knife above Snow White was what particularly haunted her. It was surprising for me, since we read the Bible every night and have read the story of Abraham nearly sacrificing Isaac many times. I learned that for her, watching a depiction of something scary was much more frightening than just reading about it. To resolve her fear, we talked about the fact that the huntsman changed his mind and did not hurt Snow White. We discussed why the huntsman stopped rather than following through - he knew it was wrong, and that it was more important to obey God and not kill than to obey the Queen and kill Snow White. We talked about doing the right thing even when you're scared, since the huntsman was taking the risk of punishment if the Queen found out. Overall, I found the movie to be slow and boring - there just weren't enough cute or funny scenes to keep my interest in the slow plot.
Kid, 10 years old June 24, 2011

snow white at thwe school

it is soi educatinal that my school are doing rold dahl's version foe my whole school so that is my prof and i don't need facts to back it up. it has been a stoy for many, many, many year and has been chaned. it has even been turned into a few films.
Parent Written bycroatian December 7, 2011

one of the bers farytales ever

every kid should see it, most value and best benefits from human kind and one of our genie Disney
Kid, 9 years old March 20, 2010

SCARY

Okay This movie really freaks me out and im nine . I like it but really scary
Teen, 13 years old Written byDisneyFan-Reliable September 12, 2015

THE CLASSIC THAT STARTED IT ALL! Just watch out for the huntsman

Having just recently watched it, I believe Snow White and The Seven Dwarves does certainly live up to its name as a classic. I completely disagree to all the reviews that considered this garbage. Without this movie to start it all, we wouldn't have all the Disney classics we call the best today. We wouldn't have all the good ones, or even the bad ones, and we should all appreciate this film, no matter how old it is. A few things to note, low level violence, following the Evil Queens orders, Hubert the huntsman almost killed Snow White but at the last second he willingly apologised, knowing that if the queen found him he would certainly die. This scene could frighten your kids at most, but with a bit of talking over it with them , they would at least appreciate that Hubert decided to follow god, and not the queen. Apart from that, Snow White And The Seven Dwarves is just a (charming )film for your kids as they will adore how good a role model Snow White is. I do not believe it is racist as the only moments Disney unknowingly used racism was in Dumbo and Peter Pan. In the ending the Queen ultimately dies after she falls off the cliff, and Snow White wakes up from true loves kiss from Prince Charming. Overall this film deserves recognition as true classic and should be appreciated for how well it was made, keeping in mind how old it is and how difficult it would of been to make, keeping in mind it was released in 1937.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGwyneth Alice April 16, 2012

A Disney classic

I've been watching as many Disney movies as I can in chronological order, not only for enjoyment, but to compare, and this movie was of course the first on the list. I could see that this movie had a relatively simple plot, and several scenes designated for comic relief, such as the cleaning house scene and the dwarves' washing up (much too dragged out, in my opinion). The dwarves were primarily there for the comic relief, the evil queen for scare factor, and the prince for romance. While I felt the movie wasn't as focused on the plot at times, it was an excellent movie, and a definite classic. A few scenes will scare children, but everything is happy at the end, which can reassure children that good shall always triumph.
Adult Written byHyper-electronic July 1, 2010

Great movie for older children and adults!

When I was a little girl this movie was frightening to me (from about the age of 4 or 5 when I can first remember watching it). I wasn't able to fully appreciate the content of this movie till I was a little over 11 or 12 years old. This movie is definitely fine for older children. As a person who has a deep love for music, and appreciates all kinds, the voice of Snow White and the music in this movie in general could be considered musically educational. You just can't find women who can sing like that anymore. She has a very beautiful, 1930s style singing voice. The movie doesn't necessarily have the most positive message, but hey, it IS a fairy tale. The intent is to entertain and tug at your imagination. Snow White is definitely a positive role model in the aspects that she is innocent, kind, unselfish, caring, and a glass half full kinda gal. I definitely recommend it as a must see for anyone who loves fantasy and fairy tale romance, and music. Always a classic, no matter if it's 1938 or 2080.