All member reviews for Speed Racer

Action-packed kids' film fun, with a few sputters.

Adult Written bygreymattre April 9, 2008

A pitiful waste of a good franchise

Does Hollywood want to know why these multi-million dollar films FAIL? Because I guess they think it's ok for kids to run around using A**, D***, H***, and SH** as well as giving the finger. Not to mention the over the top violence and kids beating each other up. Who do they make these films for? Not the target audience based on the toys lining the shelves, the happy meals and the cartoons. By the time my kid is old enough to understand the rudeness of the behavior, they will no longer be interested in watching Speed Racer. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with pre-teen kids, so I guess I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Again, Hollywood FAILS. Any parents that think this is acceptable should ask themselves if this is the type of behavior they find OK. And the common sense reviewer here also needs to re-examine her outlook - it's very questionable coming from a website like this.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byTraciCortez November 10, 2008

I am upset as to why there needs to be cussing through language and hand gesters

I am appalled at how they think there needs to be crude language in a movie made for kids!!! Every kid is wanting to see this movie and we cant let them watch it with out me right there with the clicker ready to mute or fast forward. The movie would have been just as successful without the little boy in the movie using his middle finger towards the bad guys as they zoom by. It wasn't necessary! So disappointing.
Adult Written byfabmomof4 April 9, 2008

Should of had a PG-13 rating!

I took my kids to see this movie and was upset with the swearing! In the movie a the 10 year old, flipped off an adult! When my 11 yr. old looked at me as said, "do you think they needed to put that in the movie?", I knew he had more sense the people who wrote the script!

Go, See Speed Racer, Go!

Speed Racer was basically a video Game and I love films like that. Pretty good for a family movie. Can't wait for Narnia and Indy 4.
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2014

So bad its good

Ok i went to see this film when i was 6 or 7, and really enjoyed it but as i got older, i now know there's more to a film than flashy race cars, so i watched it again... And i instantly realised the acting was TERRIBLE and EXTREMELY cheesy. And then about 4 minutes into the film i realised the CGI effects was as bad as crazy frog videos, no kidding. The only good chemistry between characters is rex and speed, which only lasts for like, 5 minutes and the story is a little average. You don't relate to any of the characters or what's happening to them... But you know what? I have said all this and the film is really good fun and very enjoyable and entertaining. It was like 1970s cheesy but really laughable at the same time.There are potentially a couple of scenes which could scare young children and there is some violence and communism but nothing to bad. Overall its a good film with forgettable material.
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2013

full of violence

theres a scene in the movie were a man threatens to put his hand in a pirahna tank he does it and the tank floods with blood he screams and a bandage is on his finger i know that because i saw the movie when it came out in 2008
Adult Written byJEDI micah October 30, 2012

Nice special effects, but boring and confusing.

The only thing that impresses me about this movie is the special effects. It was pretty cool. But the story and plot confused me. It even bored me! I couldn't keep track of what's going on or who is doing what to who! Maybe I should watch it again (like that'll ever happen)! Also, one thing that surprised me was a kid in the movie put up both of his middle fingers to an adult! It's true! I saw that, and I thought that this movie should be rated PG-13. I think this movie is a waste of time. Unless if you're a fanatic about the old cartoon, then I guess this is your type of movie.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

This is what i'm talking about!

Great movie.Nice acting,great racing scenes,cool cars,ect.Whats not to like?! Go rent this movie ASAP!
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen April 27, 2012

Speed Racer was so awesome!

I like this movie when I was 17 for 4 years ago.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 March 2, 2012

Cheesy Movie

this movie is okay not great or anything just chessy action scenes are good but other than that it was cheesy
Parent Written by@@@ December 14, 2011

$^%#&

Horrible. The best part was when the film finished.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 October 20, 2011

Poor remake of classic TV series is non-realistic and overly childish. Harsh language.

Kid, 11 years old September 24, 2011

This is not for kids under 13

Well so far it seen it many times and there some language, a lot of violence in some part of the movie during the Casa Cristo 5000 . Some sexy content such as Speed kissing Trixie right on the lips before Spritle says ''Oh god ; Gross!''
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2011

great for kids

oh loved it. good for kids
Teen, 13 years old Written byhomeschooledhippie May 9, 2011

Perfect for kids 9 and up.

Speed Racer as a character is really good and shows a strong moral by not giving in to the bad guy but there is a good dose of violence. The movie is fairly well written by sometimes the flashing lights and crazy races can be dizzying and hard to follow.
Adult Written bynduns January 14, 2011

After seeing this, I have a question...

No, it's not directed toward the director. No, this is directed to the anime fans and people who grew up with the show. I seriously have to question your way of thinking. It makes sense that you'd get PO'd when an adaptation of a cartoon isn't true to its source, but when it's 100% true to its source, like this movie is, and you still whine like little brats, I have to question your intelligence. Do you people even KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!!!!?? Seriously, not only is this 100% true to its source, it actually made the characters more interesting. Mom Racer actually DOES something in this movie! I'm starting to think anime fans see this and all other American adapations of anime the same way they look at English dubs (Including the good ones): they only hate it because it's American, not because it's actually bad. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people trashing this film didn't even see it and are basing their views off of mere assumption alone. As a movie in itself, it's not the best thing you'll ever see. The story has only a little more depth than a typical episode of the show, and I do like that. I like how unlike the show, it's not just characters racing for the sake of racing. There's actually a greater purpose behind it. Oh, and let us not forget how they snuck snippets from the original Japanese version of the opening into the end credits! I didn't think American anime adapations could do that. Still, while not a great film, it still receives major points for being the only anime adaptation that's 100% correct to its source.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2011

It was okay. The action and car races were good. I guess I was expecting more
Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2010

This film is aimed more at teens

The common sense review says 8+, are they having a laugh?! I watched this when I was 10 and found it scary, was surprised by all the language and there's lots of sexy stuff, too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspacechick22 August 20, 2010

Not for kids under 10.

I used to watch to old speed racer cartoons all the time so I'm a HUGE fan. It certainly did the story justice. I love this movie! I did however think it was to violent and had to much language for younger kids. There's a good amount of blood and violence. A man gets his finger eaten of, bloody noses, violent gun fights, etc. Enough uses of A** to make my mom gasp and want put her hands over my seven year old brothers ears. A kid flips the bird and there is one use of s**t. I love the move, but don't recommend it for kids under 10.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 12, 2010