Explosive bus ride for mature action lovers.

Teen, 15 years old Written byhansolo5150 December 7, 2010

One of the best guy movie's of all time.

This is one of the best guy movie's ever! It's very violent, and the plot is there only so that the thrills and action can have a solid foundation. On-camera violence includes: stabbing in the head, decapitation on top of a train, a woman falling under a bus, and huge explosions (people killed in two of them). Plenty of cursing, "f" word "s" word, and more, used frequently. Sandra Bullocks character makes a joke about basing a relationship on sex, but almost nothing else related to that. Older teens who enjoy big booms, have fun!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjohnmarston February 22, 2011
The violence isn't too bad, but they swear a lot. They say f**k a ton of times, but what makes that the worst swear word anyway.
Teen, 16 years old Written byYadad April 24, 2010

Crazy cussing, great movie

Skip this movie if you don't want swearing. They have limits, but very small ones. The violence is crazy, but since the movie is kind of old, the gore isn't convincing. Can be very scary for little kids, especially the elevator scence. But it's a perfect movie with great actors all the way through.
Teen, 14 years old Written byflavoredsarcasm July 12, 2011

Must watch

Speed is a great thriller/action movie! A few violent scenes involving killing and stabbing, with blood. There's more swearing and cussing, specifically the F-word, but it should be okay for kids over 13. Basically no scene with sex or anything that would make somebody feel uncomfortable.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychrisisawesome33 August 29, 2010

spectacular

amazing action/mystery with scene after scene of explosive action. it would be pg 13 if it had less f bombs and if the security guard was not stabbed in the head.
Adult Written byChrissy505 September 30, 2009

Awesome movie!

Love this movie! Saw it after there was a joke about it in PSYCH. Awesome movie definite must see. Bad role models: the bomber (DUH). But the main character is a good role model because he does everything he can to try to save the people on the bus; and his friend(poor guy) tries his best 'till his end.
Adult Written byFirst ad movie kit June 13, 2015

Speed

The violence is okay; a guy gets stabbed in the head but not really shown. There is life or death scenes some graphic. The swearing is not as bad as die hard but f--k S--t a-s h--l God--n d--n Jesus Christ. The sex is not bad flirting kissing, detail kissing not bad at all; beer is drinked at a celebration a good cop shoots a good cop. Parents this is a really awesome movie but it mite not be appropriate for children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan November 9, 2014

"Speed" movie review

If someone asks me what "Speed" is, I would tell them it is "Die Hard on a bus". That's what it basically is. "Speed" is one of my top 50 favorite movies of all time. It is a tremendously executed action film. The suspense in "Speed" is something I've never seen before. It really is suspenseful. I have never ever been more on the edge of my seat before watching "Speed". The action in this movie is fantastic. Jan de Bont knows how to film action without making it look stupid. When the bus had to do that incredibly dangerous stunt, I actually was nervous. Keanu Reeves is such a likable guy in "Speed". There isn't too much back-story on his character, but that's what I like about "Speed". I think not having an origin shows what kind of person he is. When he has a fit when his partner died, you see him as a person with emotions rather than a person like John Rambo. The story for "Speed" is perfect. I like Dennis Hopper's performance as Howard Payne. His psychotic nature makes him one of the best villains I have ever seen on film. For the first time, Sandra Bullock is not annoying. She plays a stronger female in this movie and I like that. What I realized was that Jan de Bont who was the director of the movie was the cinematographer of "Die Hard", so that leads me to believe that "Die Hard" was his inspiration behind "Speed". Common Sense Media(R) should have given this movie more than three out of five stars. This movie is perfect if you can get over some of the more disturbing scenes. I really recommend "Speed". It is a staple in the action movie genre. I don't even consider this film just as an action film. There's drama, comedy, and suspense within "Speed". If you liked "Die Hard", you will like "Speed".
Teen, 13 years old Written byperimia May 27, 2013

Fast paced, witty, unpredictable and gripping.

This was a great movie, seriously worth watching, though don't bother with the sequel; people only went to watch it because it was entitled 'Speed 2: cruise control' and thought it had some relevance with Speed, and Sandra Bullock. Her character was brave and clever here, while in the sequel she was wimpy and how she was thrown about was almost sexist. Anyhow, this movie does have positive messages and role models. The main character is a policeman, and he's attempting to stop a terrorist from blowing up a bus. I saw this movie when I was twelve, and was a little startled at the beginning where a security guard was stabbed in the ear, but other than that, I fully stuck with the plot and enjoyed it all the way through. Language wise, it had a hell of a lot of uses of f--k, but in all honesty, every kid knows someone who swears every other word. I'd say steer clear for maybe ten and unders, because the violence and plot pace, which may not be followed by kids who say aren't so smart ;) It's a really great movie, should be fine for anybody over thirteen. Judge its suitability for ten to thirteens based on how mature they are, but I repeat, do not watch speed two!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 9, 2011

Exhausting and Breathless actioner is tons of fun for teens and adults

While it is intensely violent and is often quiet vesceral in it's detailed explosions and action sequences, Speed is a film that teens will be able to appreciate for it's scope on a limited budget for the time it was made in 1994 ($28,000,000), it's villain who is brilliantly played by Dennis Hopper, as always, and finally of course, for the frenetic and exhausting pace of the action sequences. Although, it is not appropriate for tweens considering the violence and the frequent strong language which includes several uses of the F-words. Still, strap in for the ride.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymrs conn April 22, 2011

perfect for all ages 11+

Teen, 13 years old Written byPS3fan September 12, 2010

This was a cool movie!

This movie was great! It was action-packed, and had a very clever criminal! VIOLENCE: There is some violence in this movie. The violence is bloody. A few people die from explosions. A person gets their head decapitated on camera. This is shown some-what fast, but you can still see it. Overall, not super violent, and there isn't hundreds of people dying like in other movies. There is less than fifty deaths. SEX AND NUDITY: Two people say they can base their relationship off of sex. A guy says he will go home and have sex. DRUGS: I don't remember there being any drugs. A few people may smoke, but that would be it. LANGUAGE: There is about fifteen F-words. Not too bad for an R-rated movie. Overall, once a kid can handle some-what bloody deaths, a few F-words, and two uses of the word "sex", then they can see this awesome movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCorey's Reviews May 1, 2016

2nd favourite action film of all time

Speed is an awesome, intense, suspenseful, fun entertaining thrill ride with one of the best action plots of all time and is a MUST watch for action fans like myself, but the film is very pro faint with 15 uses of the F word, one use of the P word, one use of the C word, 3 uses of the phrase "Son of a B" over 15 uses of the A word and phrase A Hole, etc. The film is also quite violent with plenty of explosions (A couple of which get people killed) A guy is stabbed in the head in the first scene, a fair amount of uses of weapons like guns and bombs, people are shot, a woman gets ran over by a bus, and some intense/frightening scenes like a bus trying to drive over a 50 feet long gap in a freeway, a bus nearly falling over, a bus nearly running out of fuel, a guy nearly getting ran over by a bus by being trapped underneath it, etc. Speed is a fantastic action movie that will have Action movie fans on the edge of their seat the entire time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAdam Atom March 8, 2016

A tame R rated action movie, but enjoyable

Speed delivers two hour long car chase that has on-the-edge-of-your-seat thrills every second.
Adult Written bywhiteblack May 18, 2015

Very good

Villain is very convincing. The whole movie is very clever.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bymarierm April 3, 2014

Fun movie for mature teens and older

I watched this with my 13 year old daughter last night. She is an avid reader of young adult novels in which violent things happen, people die, evil exists, unselfish love exists, heroes fight for what they believe in despite high odds and usually prevail despite others around them perishing, teens kiss and/or make out, etc. She is able to take these things in stride and to discern what parts of the novels serve to entertain or to teach. She loved this movie and understood it was just for fun, recognized the "movie magic" in reference to certain parts of this film that were fun but laughably unrealistic. I'm sure it would have been rated PG-13 (maybe minus some language, but we watched it on AMC and they dubbed out the swearing, which was great) if it had been released today.
Parent Written byPredatorman March 25, 2014

Great Movie

One bloody scene, but besides that not that much blood the one issue is cursing but even that isn't extreme.
Kid, 9 years old November 3, 2016

Keanu Reeves third best movie

I love this movie so much for one reason the suspens I was on the ege of my seat the whole time relly good movie only one problem the opening is almost pointless POINTLESS. A-
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2013

Speed

Really really gripping movie. Not for little kids though because there are heaps of f words, the intenseness might scare them and the violence is sorta bad. Otherwise, really awesome!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavispittman January 3, 2017

Speed delivers on what it promises!

Families need to know Speed really is a great action movie, one that I would for sure recommend to anyone looking for a great action movie to enjoy. What parents should know about it, is that it does feature quite a bit of strong language including the F and S word throughout. So if that kind of thing bothers you, than beware. As far as violence goes, it's not as bad here as in other R rated movies, the movie isn't gory, the violence is PG-13 level. The only real reason Speed is R is because of the constant strong language. Keanu and Sandra are great here, their chemistry works and the acting is spot on. With all thing considered, I suggest this film to kids 14 and up. Enjoy!