Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Excellent, intense adventure has thrills, humor, heart.

Adult Written byJackBlackWhite December 16, 2018

Really fun movie Just one flaw.... Fatter-man

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are going to have a wonderful time at this movie and could care less from what I'm about to say. I brought my son, who's five, to this movie today and we had a lot of fun, I enjoyed the artistic view to this movie and I thought the diversity of the characters was exceptional. A very good job in showing the characters strengths and weaknesses. There are many emotional moments that build great value to the movie, with the father son relationship and the amount of loss that is experienced by all, creating great opportunities to show the better half of being human. There was just one thing that stuck out to me that seems to be the norm in Hollywood on any level of media, the constant need to portray overweight people as a joke and Into the Spider-verse makes no exception to this rule. There are many different versions of the Spider hero in this film, of coarse the main character is a black american teenager and I thought that was a really great way to go, they have an anime girl who is Japanese I assume, Spider-man like Dick Tracy, a pig whom is quite comical, a white american teenage girl and a 30 something white man that has a pizza belly. There are a few more but these are the main. I understand the character composition for these characters as together they make quite the impressive team. However fat joke after fat joke the 30 year old Spider-man takes the grunt of it. I didn't realize the effects of these jokes on the overweight Spider-man that my son would absorb, and I don't blame it on just this movie, as I said it is the norm. Hollywood it seems goes out of it's way for diversity and social justice equality in all aspects other than if you have a weight problem, even saying that sentence in that context which is a normal daily thing people say, directly puts the blame on people that it is their fault and that overweight or weight problem is the most negative thing to be. I'm just an average 30 something white man that can relate to the Spider-man that is joked about, as I have been through this my whole life and it is not easy in such a superficial society. Once the movie ended and we rolled past the credits, we were in the car, as I was bringing him home to his moms house, in fact we are a broken family like so many others. He said, "I know what we can call the fat Spider-man.. Fatter-man", and my heart sunk to the bottom, here I was a 30 something white overweight man, like the aforementioned Spider-man who has struggled my whole life with weight, the whole of society focusing to me how very wrong it is to be so. Now to hear my five year old who is a pinnacle of fitness even at such a young age, making fat jokes and teasing Spider-man, his favorite comic hero just really set in the amount of bias that Hollywood and American media has. I struggled with the following conversation to him of how it is not nice to tease people about their weight and that people come in many shapes and sizes and sometimes it's not their fault or choice to be viewed negatively, that it's a persons character that really matters. I said you know that Spider-man is a lot like daddy and it hurts daddy's feeling when people make fun of him like that so we shouldn't do that to others. I told him being kind and nice to people is a choice and that he needed to choose the man he wanted to become. I dropped him off and hugged him, I said I love you and remember our conversation. I really wish that didn't hit me so hard but it did, I only hope Hollywood would make a better choice of who they are and what effects they have on everyone, it seems that fat jokes are their last safe haven to retreat in such a politically correct culture. I doubt those jokes would have flown on race or sex or intelligence these days. ... Just something to think about, enjoy the movie!

Adult Written byUsrthea January 20, 2019

What words can be said for this movie that haven’t already been said?!

Why are you even reading reviews for this movie?! Do I even need to say why this movie is awesome?! Just go watch it and see for yourself how incredible it is! But really, words cannot describe how great this movie is. And jeez, where to start... well I guess I’ll start by saying that mainstream animated superhero films are surprisingly rare, given how common live-action superhero films are nowadays. Asides from this movie, the only two animated superhero films I can think of that got a wide theatrical release in the last number of years are Big Hero 6 and Incredibles 2! The fact that this is an animated Spider-Man movie that got a wide theatrical release AND contains a wide variety of animation styles is already enough to make me want to see it since Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and I’m a big fan of animation, but this film couldn’t stop there; they went above and beyond the call of duty. The animation is just fantastic! The artistic combination of all art styles and colors was nothing short of a visual feast! Also as a comic book fan I appreciated the narration boxes and comic book panels and text that would appear on screen, those are definitely tiny details that went a long way! The story is surprisingly original by today’s standards, but that’s not to say it’s never been done before. Multi-Verse and/or alternate dimensions is one of my favorite sci-fi tropes and I’d say this movie does it perfectly! It’s a done before idea, but it has originality added in to the animation, atmosphere and details which make it feel like something you’ve never seen before! The characters aren’t quite as amazing though. Miles and Peter are the only well developed characters. The other versions of Spider-Man, the villains and the other characters in general are rather one dimensional and forgettable and may make someone disappointed if they were expecting a lot more from anyone other than Miles and Peter. I was also a little surprised to discover that all of the alternate versions of Spider-Man featured in this film are actually real alternate versions of Spider-Man that weren’t just made up for this movie. I had heard of Miles and Gwen before. But I had never heard of Peni, Noir and Ham. The content in this movie can be a little iffy, but it’s still technically PG material. Although this is basically a PG-13 Marvel superhero flick only animated, the fact that it’s animated does help temper some of the violence. Two major characters die, but there’s no blood. There’s no swearing, sex or drug references. Overall this is a must watch movie for fans of animation, Spider-Man or just superheroes in general! I’m not sure what younger kids would think of this movie. Some younger kids might find it amusing, especially if they like Spider-Man, but others would probably find it boring due to it’s lack of comedy. There’s a few jokes in this movie, but probably not as many as a kid might hope for. I’d recommend this movie to older kids, teenagers and adults, not so much younger kids, unless they are huge fans of Spider-Man. Oh and by the way, I also highly recommend you check out the Spider-Man Christmas album that was used to promote this film, it’s pretty hilarious!

Parent of a 9 year old Written byPhoenix T. December 16, 2018

Innovative & Thoughtful Animation Twist on Spiderman. Extraordinary addition to the Marvel universe.

SPIDER-MAN - INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE ( YT trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0 ). Saw this super-creative film extravaganza on day 2 of opening weekend w/ my 9 year old son. I think younger children will be fine with the film if they've seen any of the other MARVEL / DC Comics films of recent years (Avengers, Ultron, Infinity War, Incredible Hulf, etc.). The violence is cartoonish and 'contained' (tastefully done). Most kids will find it relatively tame. My son did. As for the film itself, Luke LOVED the cutting edge & truly innovative animation renderings of one of Spiderman, his favorite comic book super heroes. It was real ART. Transcendant even. Wow. What a beautifully rendered and progressive/far-sighted and imaginative take on the Spiderman universe. Couldn't help but thinking of the creative forces and the world wide web that helped this film come together. A true work of art that might be deserving of an academy award for several categories. Hats off to Sony and Amy Pascal -- beautifully executed and tastefully done. Terrific role model messages w/ classic but modern twists on archetypal characters ( kudos to the Mr. Kingpen and Miles Morales animation teams!!). I highly recommend the film for mature youngsters and parents who enjoyed the classic Spiderman and various reboots. They will not be disappointed (Btw, don't forget to stay to the end of the credits!).

Adult Written byStevie111 December 8, 2018

Perfectly done superhero movie has plenty of action despite PG rating

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse is a really well done superhero film with a great story and characters. The animation really impressed me. There was a great sense of humor along with the action forward story line. I thought it was just as violent as most other Marvel films, and even darker than some. Despite being animated, it is really not a young kids movie. Characters are killed. People are shot. Someone is crushed. There are lots of large scale action sequences throughout. Lots of talk about death. There is a little bit of mild language, but the real issue is violence. I thought it was a terrific movie, just be careful bringing kids.

Adult Written byMatthew Ritch December 7, 2018

Must-see

It is a whimsical, fun, exciting, entertaining action-packed thrill ride for the entire family with heart, cool visuals, humor, and the spirit of what made and still makes, Spider-Man one of the best superheroes out there.

Adult Written byDwright9 May 24, 2019

best movie ever!!!

This movie is a 9 and older movie and I am 9 years old so it was perfect for me!!!!

Parent Written byMadoka K. April 28, 2019

I love this movie!

I'm a little harsh when it comes to movies, since I'm an aspiring filmmaker, but I can wholeheartedly say that this was my favorite movie of 2018 and my second favorite movie of all time, behind Madoka Magica: Rebellion. The art style was thrilling and unconventional, as well as all the different spider characters are so different- everyone can have a favorite! My personal favorite is Peni Parker, but I'm a Spider-Gwen fan too. This movie has positive messages of being yourself and having faith in yourself, as well as respecting your elders and family. Miles is a good role model for younger children as he never gives up on saving the universe for everyone. There's more violence than a normal movie, but that's to be expected- it's Marvel! There's talk of heterosexual relationships and some kissing, but nothing too over the top. I don't recall a lot of language- stupid was probably the harshest it went. There's a lot of references to real life products, some Sony product placement and Spider-Man references, but it wouldn't drive consumerism a lot. There's some drinking at a party near the end. Overall, this is a phenomenal movie pick for those ages 9 and up!

Adult Written byA7gamez April 9, 2019

OMG SEE THIS MOVIE!

This movie is one of the best spiderman movies I have seen in a long time and im not joking! I love how they did a comic book style I dont care what anyone say's. 5 STARS HANDS DOWN!

Adult Written byNeon 999 April 5, 2019

Masterpiece

Everything is perfect the animation the charcters the action are ALL SO G GOOD must see for everyone 7 and up
Adult Written byAFishFam April 4, 2019

Wow! Lives up to the hype!

My family wanted to watch this one and I went along with it begrudgingly but I am so glad I did. The animation was creative and beautiful. The story was unexpected and fun. We laughed and loved this story about a teen coming of age while coping with his Spider-man abilities. I appreciated that the story never got too dark although there are deaths and losses that the characters experience.
Adult Written byC77 March 22, 2019

Best Spiderman movie

This is a really good movie. A little humor, great action, strong plot. One of the characters says h*ll, but it's said subtly and you might even miss it. The whole family enjoyed this movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykevehhh March 16, 2019

Parent Written byahmed aiman 99 March 13, 2019

A Must-See Comic-Book!

Every single trailer that was released for this movie stunned me, largely due to the staggering comics-inspired visuals. But I was trying as hard as I could to lower my expectations for the movie, as I was quite possibly sure that a movie with many "spider people" in it like this would be a total mess. The reviews came out calling the movie one of, if not the greatest Spider-Man movie ever made! I was still has my same worries; but I was so glad it gained such awesome reviews, for I really had thought the movie would be a critical failure. (I mean, It's produced by Sony Pictures Animation after all!) First things first, the eye-popping visuals I've seen a glimpse of from the trailers didn't disappoint. As a matter of fact, the animation looks even better than I expected it to be. The insanely inventive visual style of this movie is unlike any other film ever made; It's simply groundbreaking! Plus, the movie could have easily felt more self-indulgent than clever due to the eye-poppingly opulent visual style that embraces the aesthetics of its comic-book roots; but the movie's substance is as much as it's style. The action set-pieces are quite staggering and innovatively designed; those of Incredibles 2 really pale in comparison to what I found in this movie! But the quick-frame animation also does something spectacular for the action sequences. It made the action looks pretty fast and uniquely slick. While the movie's unique aesthetic was the thing that made me interested in watching the movie in the first place; the thing that amazed me is the unorthodox and unprecedented way the movie captured the anxiety and panic of gaining superpowers and becoming a superhero. I know it seems weird and quite silly when I say that I felt that I was feeling what Miles Morales felt when he discovered that he became a superhero for the first time! The movie shows us how "With great power comes great responsibility" instead of making us hear it over and over. Of course, the visuals added a lot to this point in particular; but it's Phil Lord and Rodney Rothman's astute and extremely clever script that made Morales a fully-fledged, and quite relatable character by putting him in both internal and external conflict. Nothing feels exceptional or new in the character's arc, and you could easily sense the familiarity of the phases our protagonist go through; but the innovative storytelling that enriches the plot as well as the main character made up for that. Although they are not fully-developed and fleshed-out as much as I hoped; The other "spider people", are utilized quite well, they fit perfectly in the story, and every single one of them has their own personality, its own character, and that made each one of them adds something different to the humor of the movie, which is, by the way, quite brilliant! That's more than enough for me, especially since the overabundant storylines and characters were my biggest concerns about this movie before watching it. They could have hampered the narrative and made the movie a complete mess like I had expected; but they didn't, and everything was surprisingly cohesive. There is no doubt that the subtle humor played an important in making the storylines feel coherent; but the unparalleled realization of the idea of... well, the parallel worlds and the multiverse is really the thing that glued all the different sub-plots and storylines together, and made what seems implausible on paper quite compelling and cogent. The villain, Kingpin is, sadly, the worst thing in this movie. His character is underutilized, underdeveloped, and kinda dumb and stupid! It's really disappointing, as Netflix's Daredevil's Kingpin is one of my favorite comic-book villains I've ever seen being depicted on screen. Besides that I already knew his background very well, the movie did nothing but giving us every once in a while a glimpse or a peak of Kingpin's back-story, and hence his motivations, and this was very perfunctory, especially for those who introduced to this character for the first time. Adding insult to injury, the short scenes that concern Kingpin are scattered and annoyingly intrusive. The fact that Kingpin is quite brainless is totally out-of-place. I mean, the movie is way too smart and clever to have a villain like this that kept giving the protagonist enough time to defeat him until the very end! Overall, Miles Morales has an unforgettable big-screen debut thanks to a compelling adventure story with innovative and clever storytelling, ground-breaking (and hopefully revolutionary) striking visuals and risk-taking animation style, and strong vocal performances from the entire cast. The well-deserved Oscar winner, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is hands down the best animated movie of 2018! (8.5/10)

Adult Written byjacguz March 13, 2019

Loved it!

Simply perfect, not too dark, not too childish. Some speach about death, some blood, a couple deaths and some flirting. And the cameo Miguel O'Hara at the end of it is awesome.

Adult Written bydkim36 March 3, 2019

Adult Written byJared B. February 28, 2019

CommonSense missed something

The film includes a couple dinner party scenes near the end where women are seen wearing low cut and/or shoulderless dresses. Apart from that, the movie was excellent, though definitely too intense for younger kids.
Adult Written byAlexPianer February 26, 2019

Great film for anyone.

Spider-Verse is one of the greatest movies of 2018, with excellent storytelling, visual effects, animation, and great representation of racial characters. However, I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone under the age of 10. There are multiple scenes in the film where I don't think an 8 year old kid could handle. Several of the deaths in the film (Something in Kingpin's backstory, one of the Spider-Men dies and an important family member of Miles' dies) are really tragic even for a PG film. I think it's a great family movie however, even with the violence added. There's a lot of funny, heartwarming, and excellently epic moments that both kids and adults can enjoy.

Adult Written byPipeCine February 24, 2019

"For telling us we aren’t the only ones"

Alright, let's do this one last time. Queens, orphan, Aunt May, high school student, radioactive arachnid, bite, transformation, discovery, paranoia, control over his powers, villain landing, alter-ego, upside down kiss, confrontation, moral dilemma, rescued girlfriend, ultimate combat, safe city one, two, three... hundreds of times, endless love, news, "with great power comes great responsibility," kids' inspiration, civic homages, ah!... and by the way, ill-fated encounter, shameful evil dance and shameful look, an utterly perennial loop. Along these lines, would humanity need one more flick knowing by heart the pattern? If you watch "Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse," you're watching the fulfillment of the dream of a group of visionaries who, without thinking about it, have inspired millions and millions of people with a piece of art of unusual magnitudes among the wonderfully competitive modern animated film world, and, at the same time, have injected boldness, personality and brilliance into both Sony Pictures after unexpectedly wishy-washy box-office hit "Venom" last October and Marvel Studios' light-hearted and almost predictable live-action fanfare. A milestone in mainstream American animation: Disney and Pixar lose their annual crown this time. They play in different leagues and their only two releases scheduled for 2018, "Incredibles 2" and "Ralph Breaks the Internet," are favs among year-end movie lists, but, due to its one-kind approach and vehement freshness, "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" is, above all else, the non-stop-motion— relevant clarification in favor of Wes Anderson's breath-stealing showcase, "Isle of Dogs" —animated motion picture of the year and one of the most exhilarating, witty, socially thought-provoking and artfully made of the decade. The art department led by Dean Gordon and Patrick O'Keefe and the production design led by Justin Thompson have achieved something rather remarkable: to be different, meta-discursive, self-parodic, surprisingly glued to creator Steve Ditko's unique style and mightily dynamic, progressive and dazzling at the same time; guys, this is Oscar-caliber animation. Pictures, trippy and hyper-stylized, revolve and bounce, go up and down all around the screen; the composition of every frame, diligently designed and rendered as for color and motion, is a sheer delight, a miracle that will be studied and swooned over for years to come. A piece of top-notch craftsmanship, the shots here skip from the iconic to the symbolic, from the self-referential to the most unflinching flair, the computerized cinematography catches the audience's hearts and minds. Any and all sequences are viscerally engrossing, surgically sketched and masterfully carried out; its comic roots and computer animation rules well above some Pixar's and Disney's visual pieces of art in fits and starts, in part by such a care between perfectionism and personality, handling edges so special and eye-popping that the experience turns into a high-octane kaleidoscope that, even along the closing credits, keep running. It's a gargantuan homage to that iconic, mystical, twisted visual boldness that impressively Ben Davis tried to do justice in the Scott Derrickson-helmed live-action "Doctor Strange;" it all makes sense if you realize that he's the very same comic book artist Stan Lee teamed up with to illustrate and co-create these two worlds; a downright genius, a legend, his name, Steve Ditko, will be remembered for honor, respect and glory, in the comic book world forever. Beyond genre categories, it's great cinema, period. As a feature film, prone instinctively to social drama above mega-spectacle, it overly succeeds on its devices and purposes, as well as in the flavor it delivers all over the footage between exciting storytelling and effervescent visual prowess. Inclusion. They don't get tired of wrangling over the tiresome treatment on the morally troubled, Herculean-shaped, straight, white American hero; thence, the "Wakanda Forever" symbol became a global phenomenon, as well as a huge step for diversity in cinema. In this film, his mother, Rio Morales, is a Puerto-Rico-born woman; his father, Jefferson Davis, is African-American; Miles Morales, our hero, is a black/Latino kid from Brooklyn. On the run, Gwen Stacy (A.K.A. Spider-Woman), an American blonde girl from the Earth-616 universe; a forty-something Spider-Man version, divorced and downbeat, Miles' inspiration; Spider-Man Noir, the 1930s Marvel detective; Spider-Ham, an anthropomorphic funny animal parody; and finally, a Japanese version, a female anime, finish up a bunch as unusual as glorious with the highest note. PC or not, such multi-diverse characters taking part in a worldwide release make this a social gem where pride sprouts from in times of bigotry and inequity. The script respects an impressive cultural range from the pages, using it as a strong commentary and storytelling device that moves the plot forward smoothly, as well as raising a love letter to diversity itself. Most of the characters here get a flat-out unusual arch as for the superhero genre concerns; Miles loves his humble former school, but now he has to settle in to an onerous all-white school for gifted children; his father, an uncompromising officer of the New York Police Department, doesn't share the means of superheroes, saving the day and destroying entire cities on their duty, they steal all the prestige of keeping the city safe; the older Spider-Man made some wrong choices, a hero on the downside in need of a new light that makes darkness gone; the story dramatically and emotionally weaves a web of plots that never neglects its genre and elegantly refuses to limit itself to the most comfortable places in utterly fabulous synergy. Everybody already knows Peter Parker has not been a well-developed character in the celluloid world since his first solo movie hit theaters more than a decade ago. Everybody also knows the benchmark is that wondrous odyssey created by gifted director Mr. Sam Raimi and actor Tobey Maguire. In 2006, the spider webs dried up quickly, however, studios and fans took over the idea of starting from scratch. Eleven years later, a bold Jon Watts released a not-so-mature, fresher and more light-hearted version aided by Tom Holland's innerly charming performance. After that, many claimed Peter Parker got a new, definitive face, forgetting what was just around the corner. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" is the best cinematic comic book adaptation of the young hero ever made. The usual, everyday superhero stuff is right there: high sounding, epic compositions, a villain — with better development compared to over half Marvel's baddies, — there are death and catharsis, there are anger and betrayal, pyrotechnics and redemption, everything's there; however, the film transcends these platitudes, even leaving "Infinity War" so far behind in terms of depth and critique. There are harmony, magnitude, coherence, and entity; the film, from the beginning, galvanizes the story with unique style that doesn't stop shining until the closing credits, winking at and honoring its comic book vein, using the visual spectacle at its best, harmonizing storytelling and visual mastery as they don't do anymore. The exclusive visual storytelling is taking all the credit, but those who crafted such dazzlingly complex marvel were directors Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, screenwriter/producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Passion, commitment and vision are three words that perfectly can be the soul of what these men wanted to project throughout the feature. The pre-credit dedication has a truly priceless purpose, enclosing all the ideas and feelings these people had in their minds and hearts when as they say, thousands of doors were closed, but one would always be open: to believe in themselves. We all know Phil and Chris, not only because of the controversy their "Solo: A Star Wars Story" firing unleashed last year, but also their uproariously funny, witty scripts such as "Deadpool" and "The Lego Movie." Nevertheless, the trio of filmmakers is relatively unknown at the wheel of a movie, save for Ramsey's "Rise of the Guardians," for this reason, it's even more surprising to take in that a near perfect masterpiece came out from these brand-new visionaries. And now, if you venture to 'classification' lands, a do-or-die dilemma comes up automatically; sharing the throne would and must be the most proper way of doing this. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" and "Black Panther" are altogether the best superhero films of the year. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey and Rodney Rothman, above being a priceless gift for animation, is a one-of-a-kind superhero film, a respectful and sharp commentary on diversity and a piece of art for the ages; a response to the hatred, disrespect, and violence controlling minds and bodies in unjustified warfares. Is this the perfect antidote for an era of Trump, wrong traditionalism, walls, massacres, and indulgences? Forget about one of the best computer-animated superhero movies ever made, this is a reminder that we're not individuals, we're society, that dreaming is what keeps the world in motion and failure what keeps it evolving. Lee's gone now, but this cinematic feat is a proudly fitting tribute; Ditko is a maestro of out-of-reach scopes. Lee and Ditko have inspired millions, including this bunch of visionaries, who in turn have inspired all of us and our moment has come now; you know what they say: with great power comes great responsibility.

Adult Written byAndrejN. February 15, 2019

Parent of a 13 year old Written byToya W. February 8, 2019

AMAZING Spider-Man Movie for the Family

This is a great movie which introduces different Spider-Man characters. I loved seeing a teenage boy on the screen that was relatable because my son and nephew both saw parts of themselves in Miles. The music is very catchy too. You see the character growth by the end of the movie and it definitely sends a great message.