Parent reviews for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Excellent, intense adventure has thrills, humor, heart.

Adult Written byJackBlackWhite December 16, 2018

Really fun movie Just one flaw.... Fatter-man

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are going to have a wonderful time at this movie and could care less from what I'm about to say. I brought my son, who's five, to this movie today and we had a lot of fun, I enjoyed the artistic view to this movie and I thought the diversity of the characters was exceptional. A very good job in showing the characters strengths and weaknesses. There are many emotional moments that build great value to the movie, with the father son relationship and the amount of loss that is experienced by all, creating great opportunities to show the better half of being human. There was just one thing that stuck out to me that seems to be the norm in Hollywood on any level of media, the constant need to portray overweight people as a joke and Into the Spider-verse makes no exception to this rule. There are many different versions of the Spider hero in this film, of coarse the main character is a black american teenager and I thought that was a really great way to go, they have an anime girl who is Japanese I assume, Spider-man like Dick Tracy, a pig whom is quite comical, a white american teenage girl and a 30 something white man that has a pizza belly. There are a few more but these are the main. I understand the character composition for these characters as together they make quite the impressive team. However fat joke after fat joke the 30 year old Spider-man takes the grunt of it. I didn't realize the effects of these jokes on the overweight Spider-man that my son would absorb, and I don't blame it on just this movie, as I said it is the norm. Hollywood it seems goes out of it's way for diversity and social justice equality in all aspects other than if you have a weight problem, even saying that sentence in that context which is a normal daily thing people say, directly puts the blame on people that it is their fault and that overweight or weight problem is the most negative thing to be. I'm just an average 30 something white man that can relate to the Spider-man that is joked about, as I have been through this my whole life and it is not easy in such a superficial society. Once the movie ended and we rolled past the credits, we were in the car, as I was bringing him home to his moms house, in fact we are a broken family like so many others. He said, "I know what we can call the fat Spider-man.. Fatter-man", and my heart sunk to the bottom, here I was a 30 something white overweight man, like the aforementioned Spider-man who has struggled my whole life with weight, the whole of society focusing to me how very wrong it is to be so. Now to hear my five year old who is a pinnacle of fitness even at such a young age, making fat jokes and teasing Spider-man, his favorite comic hero just really set in the amount of bias that Hollywood and American media has. I struggled with the following conversation to him of how it is not nice to tease people about their weight and that people come in many shapes and sizes and sometimes it's not their fault or choice to be viewed negatively, that it's a persons character that really matters. I said you know that Spider-man is a lot like daddy and it hurts daddy's feeling when people make fun of him like that so we shouldn't do that to others. I told him being kind and nice to people is a choice and that he needed to choose the man he wanted to become. I dropped him off and hugged him, I said I love you and remember our conversation. I really wish that didn't hit me so hard but it did, I only hope Hollywood would make a better choice of who they are and what effects they have on everyone, it seems that fat jokes are their last safe haven to retreat in such a politically correct culture. I doubt those jokes would have flown on race or sex or intelligence these days. ...
Just something to think about, enjoy the movie!

Parent Written bynuenjins September 15, 2019

A headache of nonstop concepts and overselling itself.

I was glad when it was over. The excessive exagerations, The carnival atmosphere mixed with a light show and relentless pace. I love Spider Man, but I found this to be overly childish, try hard and frentic. Seeing Spider HAM was nice, but I think we would have more enjoyed a movie about just him than seemingly every conceivable random thought that was ever published in a SM comic book. There are a few moments, but there's no breathing room to enjoy the moments and when it's over, you feel like you just witnessed an overly sugared child finally crash and zonk out on the floor. "Thank god that's over".
Adult Written byT J January 20, 2019

What words can be said for this movie that haven’t already been said?!

Why are you even reading reviews for this movie?! Do I even need to say why this movie is awesome?! Just go watch it and see for yourself how incredible it is! But really, words cannot describe how great this movie is. And jeez, where to start... well I guess I’ll start by saying that mainstream animated superhero films are surprisingly rare, given how common live-action superhero films are nowadays. Asides from this movie, the only two animated superhero films I can think of that got a wide theatrical release in the last number of years are Big Hero 6 and Incredibles 2! The fact that this is an animated Spider-Man movie that got a wide theatrical release AND contains a wide variety of animation styles is already enough to make me want to see it since Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and I’m a big fan of animation, but this film couldn’t stop there; they went above and beyond the call of duty.

The animation is just fantastic! The artistic combination of all art styles and colors was nothing short of a psychedelic visual feast! Also as a comic book fan I appreciated the narration boxes and comic book panels and text that would appear on screen, those are definitely tiny details that went a long way! The story is surprisingly original by today’s standards, but that’s not to say it’s never been done before. Multi-Verse and/or alternate dimensions is one of my favorite sci-fi tropes and I’d say this movie does it perfectly! It’s a done before idea, but it has originality added in to the animation, atmosphere and details which make it feel like something you’ve never seen before! The characters aren’t quite as amazing though. Miles and Peter are the only well developed characters. The other versions of Spider-Man, the villains and the other characters in general are rather one dimensional and forgettable and may make someone disappointed if they were expecting a lot more from anyone other than Miles and Peter. I was also a little surprised to discover that all of the alternate versions of Spider-Man featured in this film are actually real alternate versions of Spider-Man that weren’t just made up for this movie. I had heard of Miles and Gwen before. But I had never heard of Peni, Noir and Ham.

The content in this movie can be a little iffy, but it’s still technically PG material. Although this is basically a PG-13 Marvel superhero flick only animated, the fact that it’s animated does help temper some of the violence. Two major characters die, but there’s no blood. There’s no swearing, sex or drug references. Overall this is a must watch movie for fans of animation, Spider-Man or just superheroes in general! I’m not sure what younger kids would think of this movie. Some younger kids might find it amusing, especially if they like Spider-Man, but others would probably find it boring due to it’s lack of comedy. There’s a few jokes in this movie, but probably not as many as a kid might hope for. I’d recommend this movie to older kids, teenagers and adults, not so much younger kids, unless they are huge fans of Spider-Man. Oh and by the way, I also highly recommend you check out the Spider-Man Christmas album that was used to promote this film, it’s pretty hilarious!

Adult Written byStevie111 December 8, 2018

Perfectly done superhero movie has plenty of action despite PG rating

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse is a really well done superhero film with a great story and characters. The animation really impressed me. There was a great sense of humor along with the action forward story line. I thought it was just as violent as most other Marvel films, and even darker than some. Despite being animated, it is really not a young kids movie. Characters are killed. People are shot. Someone is crushed. There are lots of large scale action sequences throughout. Lots of talk about death. There is a little bit of mild language, but the real issue is violence. I thought it was a terrific movie, just be careful bringing kids.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byJared B. February 28, 2019

CommonSense missed something

The film includes a couple dinner party scenes near the end where women are seen wearing low cut and/or shoulderless dresses.

Apart from that, the movie was excellent, though definitely too intense for younger kids.
Adult Written byAlexPianer February 26, 2019

Great film for anyone.

Spider-Verse is one of the greatest movies of 2018, with excellent storytelling, visual effects, animation, and great representation of racial characters.

However, I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone under the age of 10. There are multiple scenes in the film where I don't think an 8 year old kid could handle. Several of the deaths in the film (Something in Kingpin's backstory, one of the Spider-Men dies and an important family member of Miles' dies) are really tragic even for a PG film.

I think it's a great family movie however, even with the violence added. There's a lot of funny, heartwarming, and excellently epic moments that both kids and adults can enjoy.

Adult Written byMatthew Ritch December 7, 2018

Must-see

It is a whimsical, fun, exciting, entertaining action-packed thrill ride for the entire family with heart, cool visuals, humor, and the spirit of what made and still makes, Spider-Man one of the best superheroes out there.

Adult Written byCosplaykat September 15, 2020

Adult Written byEpicReviews August 31, 2020
Adult Written byp August 19, 2020

to much blood

good i guess

Adult Written bycami098 August 7, 2020

super fun!

nothing that a six year old cant handle. there’s a few jokes that maybe they won’t get (some references to puberty, spider-ham makes what i’m assuming to be an innuendo) but super fun for the whole family.

Adult Written byPersonne May 17, 2020

Not " The best! ", 5/5 stars.

Fresh & creative.
Adult Written byChris_Feher May 6, 2020

Exceptional Animated Take On the Second Spider-Man

I want to start off by saying that even though I have not read the comics, I am pretty sure this movie is not accurate to them. So ignoring that, I would say that Into the Spider-Verse is one of the best animated superhero movies/shows yet. The key to it being so great is the animation. I have watched many animated movies in my life, but this one takes the cake. It is unique and I have never seen anything this innovative. Also, the multiple Spider-Men, and Women, were really cool to see all in one film. I cannot overstate how much I recommend this movie!

Adult Written byAlissaBC April 25, 2020

Fun, action-packed, funny

Adult Written byDoggo567 April 7, 2020

Awesome Movie!

This is an amazing movie, you should watch it even if you aren't a Spidey fan. Some peril and violence but a great movie overall.

Parent Written byL.andD. April 4, 2020

Spider-man: The Best

E. (Age 7): It’s about a boy named Miles who met Spidermans and Spiderwomens from different universes. There were two females. It was good, Dude.

A. (Age 7): I think the best Spider character was Spider-Nor (Noir) because he’s really good at being nice. He never, ever gives up. He always believes in people.

Adult Written byK H March 22, 2020
Adult Written byTay Y. March 14, 2020

Amazing!

I absolutely love this movie! I have watched at rewatched it, and it is amazing. The movie made some bold animation choices, and I believe all of them have paid off. You will see something new every time you watch it. Though some younger children most likely won't get some of the plot or themes, it is still worth seeing.
Adults will also enjoy this film! It doesn't matter how much you know about marvel. You don't need to read any comics. If you know the basics on the fact that "spiderman is an awesome hero with spider powers" then you will understand and enjoy this great movie.
A must see! Please watch!!

Adult Written bymariasam February 13, 2020

beautiful, unique movie

The movie Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (2018) is a retelling of the classic Spiderman story with a twist. Although this movie was not made to be Christian, it does meet many of the standards which a Christian viewer should look out for. Christian viewers should keep in mind the 7 media keys when reviewing media: these are balance, attitude awareness, dignity of the human person, truth-filled, inspiring, skillfully developed, and motivated by and relevant to experience.

This movie is certainly inspiring and truth-filled. It reveals truths about individuality and responsibility in the human person, and has many inspiring scenes. It is also skillfully developed: although animation is sometimes brushed off as not being as good as live-action films, this movie is a great example of the way animation can be used in modern times. It captures the feel of a comic book and allows the viewer to suspend their disbelief and enjoy the story. There are many stunning and iconic shots. This movie also draws from and is relevant to human experience, which helps the story to stick with the audience. The main character is relatable and the struggles and challenges he faces are ones in which we can all see ourselves. In this character and through beautiful animation art, Into the Spiderverse tells an inspiring, relatable, and entertaining story that reveals something about the human condition.
Adult Written byMotorcitymull January 19, 2020

Maybe the best Spider-Man movie

As an avid Spider-Man fan this movie was pure gold. It’s just so good! It’s got great messages and is all around really enjoyable. It’s funny, action packed, and the animation is so cool. Highly recommend!