Parent of a 5, 9, and 12 year old Written byshadowfc March 14, 2009

Common Sense Pretty Accurate

I watched this movie at the theater when it came out, but I've probably only seen it once or twice since then. My 12 year old has been bugging me to see it. Trustin Common Sense, I decided to let her watch it. She has seen all the Heroes (NBC) episodes, so know up front that she's accustom to a certain level of violence and language. I have to agree with Common Sense's review. It's appropriate for kids 11 and older depending on the child and the parent's leniency for violence or language. I listened for the "S" word and never heard it. Lots of "A" (rear-end) references, even by Peter's Uncle Ben. I don't remember Peter himself ever using bad language. There is a degree of violence throughout. The last fight sense was rather painful for my daughter to watch (as Spidy gets the snot beat out of him). There's quite a bit of blood to boot. So just be careful. In the end, the movie was still an appropriate watch for my 12 year old. It has some good overall themes about what it means to be a hero that I enjoyed recapping later with my child. For the faint of heart, preview (as always) this movie before letting the kids watch, but I give it a thumbs up for 12 and over.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written bytsreyb November 26, 2010

Enjoyable for tweens, teens and adults, but NOT younger kids.

Very enjoyable movie. Older kids, teens and adults will love it. But, IMHO, the villain is just way too scary for kids under 10.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 6, 2010
Adult Written byLowe's man May 13, 2015

a cut above other modern superhero movies

Those who say that Peter Parker is a role model are right. He knows exactly when to use his special powers, and when not to. Uncle Ben was a great role model for Peter, as is evidenced by the line, "With power comes responsibility." Peter keeps himself in check throughout the movie. Even the violence, both the frequency and intensity, are tame by today's standards, especially for a PG-13 movie. If I remember the movie right, Mary Jane's father was the Green Goblin. Peter did a good job of finding that out. If your children, 10 and up, enjoy superhero movies, this is one they should be introduced to.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee July 1, 2015

Spiderman Review..

A Film that I will always enjoy. The film at times gets pretty intense during the Green Goblins appearances. On that note, I used to get pretty freaked out During his appearances.. Other than that, A great film for older kids.. as for younger kids, I would probably want to use caution Due to a lot of the action sequences and language..
Parent of a 10 year old Written bydandy June 3, 2010

FINE

PG-13 really? But I didn't let my kids watch it tell they were all 8. Some words like (d**n, s**t, h**l, and a**). When my kids first saw it they thought it was gross because of all the boyfriend girlfriend stuff.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

Still iffy for 13-14 year olds.

A little iffy for a 13y/o. This has more blood than other recent superhero films. The scene with MJ and SM is quite sensual, cos you can see her nipples poking through her top. The Green Goblin is quite scary.
Adult Written byclarence August 5, 2015
Parent Written byblackknight12 June 27, 2012

This movie is great!!!!!

I think this movie is great family entertainment and pretty age appropriate for children. The whole "bitten by a spider" concept was great fun for my kids and it didn't scare them a bit. Spider man is romantic with MJ and the graphics are just epic. I advise you greatly to watch this wonderful movie.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written bycashed12 July 23, 2010

Donning a costume and name--A good 10-year old action funfest!

Spider-Man is the funniest,touching,action-packed tale about a nerdy teen named Peter Parker accidentally got bitten by a spider,Drawing concept art,Then donning the name--SPIDER-MAN,Spider-Man can be fun for 11-year olds,But too intense for 6-year olds,Fun and exciting!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 29, 2014
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014

New language

I say 5, Language-hell and Damn. Sex-no sex (besides a kiss) Violence-Blodless
Adult Written byWill loves movies May 31, 2013

Does whatever a spider can.

This is one of the best comic book movies of all-time. Peter Parker is one of the best role models in both movies and comic book history. He tries to do the right thing no matter what might happen to him. Uncle Ben ties the positive message with one line: "with great power comes great responsibility." There is some drinking by Norman Osborn. There is quite a lot of mild profanity like the d-word and h-word. The sexual content is really just in two scenes: the scene where Peter is in a wrestling match with the ringside girls and the alley kiss with MJ. Most of the violence comes in the final battle where spidey fights the Green Goblin. All in all, a good movie to get kids into Spider-Man, although you might want to skip some of the violent scenes.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

ok

Adult Written byBan Moy July 30, 2015

awesome

Spider-man is a ridiculously fun movie. Enjoy!
Parent of a 2, 2, 5, 10, 10, and 16 year old Written byMariofan May 9, 2010
Why do they rate all the superhero movies PG-13,even though they know kids of younger ages would watch them? These are great movies. The violence is the common super hero movie violence, not that much blood.
Parent Written bymattbruns3 October 29, 2015

Pretty violent but not anything more then older kids can handle.

I like marvel but younger kids may not beable to handle the violence.
Adult Written bydklein April 4, 2012

a little violent, but fine for older grade-schoolers

spider-man has been my favorite superhero since i was a kid and this movie more than did justice to the comics. as a nerd i've always identified with peter parker and what he goes through as a normal teen (before the bite, of course). while there are elements of the story that could have been better, anyone looking for a fun ride will enjoy this. overall, violence isn't too bad, though two deaths and one near-death may upset some younger kids.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 2, 2013

My favorite out of all 3!

Amazing film! One of my favorites. Spider-man is not just for boys, which I first thought when the movie came out. I wasn't much of a super hero, action type of fan until I saw this. I think Tobey McGuire was perfect for this role and I love Kirsten Dunst! It's basically about a teen boy named Peter (Tobey) who is sort of disguised as a geek and later gets bitten by an exotic spider in a museum during class. He notices some odd changes that start to effect him, like not needing his glasses and becoming mysteriously strong and confident which gets his love interest Mary Jane's attention (Kirsten). He soon finds out that he is invincible, able to climb walls and swing around town using his web. Best of all, no one knows it's Peter. He saves many lives and becomes the town's hero in no time, but must face some troubles of his own, like fighting off the evil and saving those he truly cares about from his enemies. It's highly engaging, very fun and action packed with lots of story and drama. Lots of good messages throughout and Peter, as well as Mary Jane, are both excellent role models! Violence is heavy with lots of fights including fist fights in a wrestling ring and beatings between comic characters, some gore, fires, some bullying and arguing. Sexual content has some kissing and also a brief scene of skimpy dressed women in the fighting ring. Language isn't bad at all. Perfect for everyone 10+ (must watch the second and third too!)
Adult Written byWizardReviewz July 22, 2016

An 'Ok' Addaption of the much-loved comic book hero

This film is basically the origin story for Spider-Man. There is one thing in particular that adults need to watch out for, and that's the incredible scale of violence, and the feel of impending doom throughout the second part of the film. There are not many times we see blood, and the gore factor seems pretty low, there is not excessive swearing, but some may find some scenes scary, because of the overtone in this film. I give it:- VIOLENCE 6.5/10 (two deaths, one off camera, but you see the body, the other death is completely on screen) LANGUAGE 3/10 (a few mild swear words here and there) SEX 4/10 (a few compassionate kissing scenes) All I say is, is small kids watch out for the violence, and tone of this film. This film isn't for those who don't like any kind of violence. The film overall it is a great film and has an spectacular music score by Danny Elfman , the man behind many Tim Burton music scores, including amazing actors, and including a mini cameo from Stan Lee himself. Enjoy watching the film, its a great film to start with and this franchise is ever expanding, with next year seeing the next Spider-Man film.