All member reviews for Spirited Away

Magnificent movie with scary creatures and a strong heroine.

Teen, 16 years old Written bygorehaunter July 6, 2009

Heartwaming...

Hmmm Princess mononoke is made by the same people and is pg-13, but in this website says that everyone over 9 can veiw it, while this is pg, and says over 11. They got this completely wrong. This movie is not like the comedy or playing kind, but it is very heartwarming, and feels very good when you watch it. Kids should be over age 7 maybe to watch it. The only innapropriatte sence is when a dragon is poked and scratched by a thousand paper birds, and the dragon has red blood, like 30% over his body, and when he crashes into the building, blood splatters. The dragon survives though. This 20 second sence is the only part of the movie where there is very very mild blood. 20 seconds out of 3 hours. Yes, the movie is very long. It is nightmare fantasy-ish. Kids under 7 may be scared... be warned. ( my sister, the age of 6 thought it was "awesome" and not "scary" )
Teen, 13 years old Written byocie14 October 2, 2010

Don't care how good it is...

I saw this movie when I was about 8, and I was TERRIFIED. Still am, every time I am alone in my house and I turn a corner, I am scared that "no-face" monster is there. SO FREAKY AND UPSETTING
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2009

Awesome movie

Omigosh probably one of the BEST movies ever!! Enjoyed it so much!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byPatrick.L January 26, 2010

No way for kids!

Definitely not recommended for kids! Only suitable for Young Adults and above.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMichikorabbit2 December 28, 2009

Amazing. Just... amazing.

This is absolutely my favorite animated movie of all time. The storyline if very deep. The animation is AMAZING. All of the monsters have a unique design; even the ones that are seen in the background. Hayao Miyazaki, the creator of this movie, is my favorite director. Something great about him is that he is slightly a feminist, for his movies contain brave, intelligent females (unlike lots of other movies in Japan). You can see this in Spirited Away, for Chihiro is a good a role model and so is, to a lesser extent, Zeniba. I recommend his other movies for those who like this one. Little kids might be scared of this movie, for the monsters can be creepy at times. There is some blood.
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2009

AWESOME!!! XD

COME ON!!! 11+... Please!! Commonsense is wrong bout this one i was 6 when i watched this movie and i loved it!!!
Written byAnonymous November 4, 2011

Good message, but scary for younger kids

One of my favorite anime movies ever! I watched it when I was in 4th grade, nine years old, and I loved it (although No-Face and Chihiros parents turning into pigs made me sleep in my parents bed that night). Very emotional. I always cry when I listen to the soundtrack or watch the movie! Highly recommended for ages 9+.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byRebrandSoftware June 16, 2011

Okay for intelligent three year olds who aren't easily scared

My 3.5 year old daughter and I love this movie. I was concerned about the parents to pigs scene so I told her about it before we watched, and worked up to it over a number of viewings. She was a little bit scared of the giant baby that threatens to break a girl's arm until I told her they became friends in the end. This is a wonderful movie, and the lighting of the lamps scene is so absolutely perfect that I could watch it 1,000 times.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byANewell23 December 10, 2010

best movie ever!

LOVED IT!!!!!!! great movie! great story line graet animations GREAT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! a must watch! best anime movie ever!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymangafreak327 March 25, 2010

I saw this movie two years ago, and as soon as i finished it, i couldn't help but wish that I was chihiro. This is such a beautiful movie, but it is a tad bit violent. Small paper "birds" chase the Dragon Haku around and give him papercuts, and he is later seen coughing up blood. otherwise this film is the best, and i recommend just covering the young one's eyes when the scary parts are on so that maybe they can enjoy this too.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzerealevilcelery May 23, 2009

:]

I don't think it necessarily needs to be 11. Just know your kid. Some scenes are a little scary, but more or less in a Harry Potter 1 sort of way. It is fantasy. The main character triumphs and generally sets a good example. Chihiro doesn't give up, even when the situation seems totally hopeless.
Adult Written bycourtwork October 15, 2013

Wacky and Wonderful for Over 10

This movie is really wacky, but since it's by Miyazaki, it is beautifully wacky. I began to wonder if there were some mushrooms involved in its creation. I'm a big Miyazaki fan and originally bought this dvd for my 10 year old after reading the CSM rating and parent comments. I forgot about that plan and we watched this for family movie night. Both of my kids (ages (just turned) 7 and 10) found it disturbing. The 10 year old was ready to pull the plug early in the film out of boredom, but later he found it upsetting. I'm glad we stuck with it and saw the plot resolve; I think it would have been more troubling if we had not. My 10 year old is pretty sensitive, and did have nightmares after seeing this movie right before bed. The part that was most disturbing to my guys is when Chihiro's parents can't stop eating and are turned into pigs. They are then whipped by the restaurateur as they try to continue eating. That part was intense for both of them. We took a break midway through the film and both kids were hugging me saying, "I never want you to turn into a pig!" The frightening elements for young kids include: the fact that Chihiro is separated from her parents (and they are turned into pigs) for the whole movie; Chihiro is alone in a (very) strange place and is visibly frightened for much of the film. She is at the mercy of and mistreated by many characters early on; and her internal compass is superior to that of her parents and other authority figures. These ideas, particularly the last one, are scary and confusing for young kids. For these reasons I agree with CSM's 11 year old rating. There are some other creepy characters - namely Yubaba and No Face. Having said all of that, the quality of the film is superior, though the content is strange. I don’t regret that my kids saw it, but I’m glad I was right there with them, and I anticipate much conversation about it for a long time. In some ways this movie is on par with a movie like Pinocchio – not a pleasant experience for a young child, but the messages are loud and clear. As always, Miyazaki does a brilliant job of evoking a wide range of emotions using sounds like foot steps, silence, wind, and voices. The movie is visually stunning, like all of his films. The evolution of the characters is well done and the viewer feels part of that experience emotionally and sensually. And, even though Chihiro finds herself in frightening and perilous situations, she becomes calmer and more convicted as the story goes on, and we get to watch that transformation. There are so many lessons and themes that run through the film. Particularly reflective of the Asian culture, is that Chihiro's success comes from constantly consulting her inner compass, and having a care about her actions, often using deference as a strategy to persevere. We rarely see such protagonists in American films. She does not get caught up in the material pursuits of the people around her and stays true to her heart. I particularly appreciate the cultivation and manifestation of love in this film. It is very true and in no way sexual, which again, is rarely seen in American films, unless the love is parent/child or sibling related. In summary, I think this is an amazing film, on par with Eraserhead for its eccentricity, and typical of the high quality we expect from Miyazaki. I recommend this movie for everyone ages 11 and up. It’s probably OK for younger kids, depending on your kids, but I highly recommend that you watch it with them, and I wouldn't go below 7 or 8.
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2010

not for

kids
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... August 12, 2009

I LOVE this movie!!! And always will! A classic!

I have to admit my affinity for dragons was one of the main reasons I wanted to see this movie as a kid. And oh boy did I love it...It warmed my heart and gave me that good feeling at the end of the movie where you think anything is possible...and life just seems to drift away for that moment. I especially loved the scene where she nuzzles her dragon-friend, that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside as a kid ^.^
Adult Written bythewittyman27 April 9, 2008

wierd!

how duz every1 luv this movie so much? it wuz one of the wierdest movies ive eva seen, and impossible to follow. instead i suggest princesws mononoke for any1 looking for a good anime movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMamawolf83 February 5, 2014

Well made but a bit scary & dark

I saw this movie when I was 19 years old. While some parents feel this movie is okay for an 8 year old I dont think so. This movie has many very fightening images including: charaters being swallowed whole, a dragon nearly bleeding to death and many, many images of spirites that even at 19 scared me several times. If your child is more on the sesitive side as I was I strongly recoment against having them see this film untill they are a bit older.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykimjim98 December 19, 2013

the best animated film i have ever seen!!!!!!!!

It was the best animated film i have ever seen i mean this film is life changing and it is indeed magical and great viewing expiece for the whole family.
Adult Written byDiary Ainzon September 12, 2013

Spirited Away - A MUST SEE MOVIE!

This movie is a masterpiece of its own. Though it might not be appropriate for very young audiences but you will never regret the values and its amazing story that the movie holds. Everyone will be inspired for the courage, determination and love by the protagonist's role. It's a must watch movie for a lifetime.
Adult Written byaeryn November 22, 2011

Wonderful look at Japanese folktales

Rather than simply echo all the great things everyone else has said, I'll say this: I am a 25-year-old with a degree in anthropology with a focus on Japan and a minor in Japanese - so trust me when I tell you that this film is CHOCK FULL of Japanese culture. In fact, it's one of the best films out there (probably tied with Mononoke-hime) to present a nice overview of Japanese traditional culture and folklore. Parents who homeschool or just want their kids to have a good understanding of other cultures would be very, very well served by watching this movie with their kids! However, do yourselves a favor and read about Japanese folklore first. This movie is so very Japanese that it can be hard to understand it if you don't have some knowledge of Japanese folk beliefs. It's useful to learn about the cultural context of the movie and to study differences between Western fairy tales and Asian fairy tales - because at its heart Spirited Away is a modern Japanese fairy tale. For example, Haku is a dragon, a creature that in the West we tend to think of as evil and destructive - but in Japanese folktales, dragons are harbingers of good luck and felicity, and protectors of good people and entities like the Buddha. This film can be a wonderful way to experience another culture! But parents would definitely be well-served by learning a little about Japan with their kids before watching.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhockeyman47 September 26, 2011

Strange But Amazing

This movie is probably my favorite Miyazaki movie ever. It has a wonderfully strange storyline, great animation, and great characters. Let me start with a content advisory then move on to a movie review. Violence: Some characters, such as no face, can be frightening to younger viewers. A large baby threatens to break the main characters arm. The main characters parents turn into pigs and can be scary to younger kids. No Face devours three very minor characters then, later, throws them up. The most violent part is when one character who has taken the shape of a dragon is attacked by paper bird like things (I'm not exactly sure what they are). He flies into the room that the main character is in and, in the process, gets blood all over the carpet and walls. Then, as he flies back out of the room, he splatters blood on the sliding glass doors and balcony rail. When the main character finds him later, there is blood dripping out of his mouth. Language: There are no swear words in this movie. The only language is some violent lines such as, "I will rip your mouth out," and a couple other lines similar to that. That's about it for content advisory. Now on to the movie review. This movie is just beautiful. I can't explain to you how much I love the animation. There are many scenes that blew my mind on how beautiful they were. When Sen is on the sea railway is my absolute favorite scene of the movie. The colors are vibrant and beautiful (sorry for how many times I've used that word, but I feel it is necessary to describe this movie). The clouds are works of art themselves. The grassy fields are so beautifully (sorry) colored.The architecture is great as well. When Chihiro and her parents walk through the abandoned train station light shines through colored windows and lights the floor. I find that part very artistic. The bath house, when viewed from the side, reminds me of Howls Moving Castle, another great movie by the way. The score is just great. Joe Hisaishi, who does many of the scores for Miyazaki films, is a genius. This movie is the only one that ever inspired me to go buy one of its songs, the theme song, from ITunes. The plot is very strange as many anime movies are, but, although it may seem simple, I believe it can be very deep. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and If the plot doesn't sound interesting to you, watch it for the animation. You won't regret it.