All parent member reviews for Spirited Away

Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byRedzet August 29, 2009

Positive flick

Chihiro learns her strength in this movie. She finds a clever way to set things right. She is motivated by danger to her family and uses her wits to reunite them.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byCBeth August 22, 2009
Very dark and creepy, and depressing as well. Although it received good ratings from critics, I did not like the film at all, and my son hated it (granted, he was probably too young to see it (7), although by the standard guidelines it was supposed to be okay ). In the film, parents lead their young child into what is clearly an unsafe situation and don't pay attention to warming signs and certainly don't think about being careful in unknown situations. The young girl is left to fend by herself but unlike a movie like the Wizard of Oz, almost everyone she meets is menacing and unkind. I did not find the redemption at the end overcame the negativity of the movie.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 29, 2009

Magnificent

Quirky original screenplay is scary and amusing.
Adult Written byAnimeMovieJunky April 5, 2015

oh my goodness...

Ok I watched this when I was like 5 or 6 and I still have dreams about this movie some times. I this this movie is why im freaked out by everything. I can remember alot despite how long ago I watched this movie thats how freaked out i was i mean I have no idea when I watched this movie but I remember so much it's crazy. I do not recommend this to anyone younger than 12. Other than that It's a good movie for an older audience.
Adult Written byaurumwolf August 2, 2014

great movie, slightly creepy

I saw this movie after putting it off for a while since so many people told me about the creepy parts in this movie. (I am not a horror movie lover at all) I love all of Miyazaki's films from Totoro to Howl's Moving Castle and so I decided to try this one out. The movie itself is really not that creepy but the part I disliked the most was when Chihiro's parents turn into pigs after eating some cursed food. (I think that may have been meant to be mildly comical but I didn't see anything funny about that) The character Noh-Face isn't scary at the beginning but after not having any friends, turns to eating everything in the bath house from people to gods to tables. He becomes some sort of massive dripping black creature but returns to normal soon after. There are some other strange characters in this movie such as a man with a spider's body and a lady with an oversized head. Kids who are okay with seeing slightly strange things will be fine. The older you are, the more you will enjoy and appreciate this movie. I'm glad I saw this when I was able to enjoy it unlike some of my friends who saw it too young and were quite traumatized. This is still one of my favorite films because of its interesting storyline and its memorable characters.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byJonathan wood April 5, 2014

The most beautiful animated film ever

This is a film which is fine really a bit to scary for young children but a film they will enjoy and remember and watch again for the rest of their lives. Just invite 2 of their friends over for a sleepover and watch this film together it is a truly wonderful experience then again know your child and don't show this to the easily scared.
Adult Written byArkmabat January 18, 2014

Great movie!

I love this movie. There are some violent scenes and blood splattered, but you have to keep in mind that this movie was originally targeted for young women, so it doesn't go overboard just for the fun of it. Honestly, I have a pretty weak stomach but I love watching this movie, just don't watch it while you already feel nauseated! There are positive messages about friendship, adapting to change, doing what you know is right, honesty, forgiveness, faithfulness, hope and family.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Really good movie

Both my girls (4.5 and 7.5 years) liked it, but they still were a little unsure of a few things. My husband and I needed to explain things during and afterward to reassure them. They now talk about it all the time and sometimes pretend to be spirits. Chihiro is a great role model and it has great message.
Educator Written bySaskiwi August 9, 2013

Quirky creepy but very cool

Offbeat for viewers not used to anime or Japanese culture,, but older children will enjoy it. Quite a few scares but it pulls back from being too much for most kids too handle. Our boys have loved it since they were about 8 and it still gets watched, 5years on.
Educator Written bymcmanuss March 6, 2013

Unique and Fascinating for All of US

Oh, this movie was a joy to watch. Scary in spots - the parents are in danger and there are some spooky characters, so watch out for sensitive kids. We loved the way the characters changed and helped each other - between this and Airbender, I am beginning to wonder if Asian heroes and villains aren't just generally more complex than "Western" ones. The way Chichiro uses her trust and friendship to grow stronger and to help others was inspiring, but we never felt preached to. We are still talking about this even though we saw it months ago, too. Very excited to see more by this director.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 7, 2012

Great movie,

I would say this is more on the frightening side if you include kids. The "no face?" was a bit scary because he "ate" people. The kid in the movie, her parents are turned into pigs, that might make kids think that their parents are going to be turned into pigs. i think this is a great movie
Parent Written byCheveyo February 20, 2012

A must see!

One of the best movies ever! If you make sure you pre-screen it, you will get a better idea if it's appropriate for YOUR child. My son has been watching it ever since he was about 3 or 4, and although there are some scary scenes, he was fine as long as I was near! A beautiful movie, full of fantasy and wonder! The story and voice acting are fantastic.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

A magical journey of a spoiled little girl who learns what is really important.

This film explores the maturing of a whiny, spoiled little girl who stumbles upon a magical (and a little creepy) world. The animation is fantastic, the plot is original (as most Miyazaki films are), and the characters are unique. The main character, an intelligent though somewhat bratty little girl named Chihiro goes through a transformation and learns what is really important in life. A wonderful, appropriate movie, though some children may find the creatures scary. Great storyline, great message.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

wonderfully animated

Bit scary for children. But I saw it when I was about 9 and could watch it without being too scared. It's brilliantly animated!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo April 30, 2011

My favorite movie

Spirited Away is what I would call Hiyao Miazaki's masterpiece. It is about a young girl named Chihiro, When her parents have to move, they somehow get to a world where spirits rule and humans are told to leave. Chihiro has to get a job in the spirit world and save her parents from the spirit world.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 9 year old Written bycerriwen January 11, 2011

May frighten younger children but is wonderful.

I love this movie and so do the kids. The characters in this movie may be frightening to small children, but it is a sweet show.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySamantha T July 6, 2010

Great movie, I loved it.

When my daughter first watched this, she was about 4 years old. She loved it, but we never remembered the name. 7 years later, she found it. We rented it, and she loved it just as much as before.This is a truly magical movie. I love the idea of a girls parents turning into pigs, so she has to fend for herself. The main character,Chihiro, started out as a spoiled brat. After her parents turn into pigs, she has to get a job and work hard. I would recommend this to anyone.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byhomeschoolin March 9, 2010
Parent Written byib4u March 5, 2010

Fascinating, artful and mysterious, ages 9+

Fascinating, beautiful, too scary, weird and long for pre-K
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written bybarbd40luv December 25, 2009

Confusing

My 10 year old and I both thought this movie was very confusing...normal family one minute and parents turned into giant pigs the next. That's just for starters. The rest of the characters and happenings are equally outrageous and unexpected and therefore the move was a bit confusing and difficult to follow.