All parent member reviews for Spirited Away

Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byRedzet August 29, 2009

Positive flick

Chihiro learns her strength in this movie. She finds a clever way to set things right. She is motivated by danger to her family and uses her wits to reunite them.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byCBeth August 22, 2009
Very dark and creepy, and depressing as well. Although it received good ratings from critics, I did not like the film at all, and my son hated it (granted, he was probably too young to see it (7), although by the standard guidelines it was supposed to be okay ). In the film, parents lead their young child into what is clearly an unsafe situation and don't pay attention to warming signs and certainly don't think about being careful in unknown situations. The young girl is left to fend by herself but unlike a movie like the Wizard of Oz, almost everyone she meets is menacing and unkind. I did not find the redemption at the end overcame the negativity of the movie.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 29, 2009

Magnificent

Quirky original screenplay is scary and amusing.
Adult Written byjohnsmith1234 April 9, 2008

I loved it!

This is greatly animated.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymin f. July 31, 2016

Terrified my 4 year old to the point of tears, had to leave the theatre after 40 minutes

I had seen this movie before, so I knew everything that happened in it, but I wasn't prepared for how terrified my 4 year old would be! There were even younger kids in the audience, so YMMV, but mine was very scared.
Adult Written byAshleyLamo13 April 29, 2016

Chihiro!

I gave Spirited Away 5 out of 5 stars because the action and emotion in it was just so breathtaking! You'd never think that an anime movie would have less action and it's be harder to convey emotions through drawings, but it was incredibly accurate with everything. It was bright and lively and the camera movement made it seem like a real, action packed movie. It would follow the movement of their eyes and body parts. The script was nice because even though it is a Japanense film, the lip movement matched the words in a really creative way. The editing was so flawless to me because they had to draw out each miss-en-scene and put them all together in an abnormal way that catches your eye. The sound contrasted the whole movie perfectly because even though they didn't need to add most of those small, subtle sounds to certain parts of the movie, it still had a really dramatic effect on the movie as a whole. They knew when to add sounds like footsteps or little air "whooshes" or shuffles or floor creaks. My favorite part is when Chihiro travels on the train with No Face to see Granny. That was maybe the only mellow aspect from the movie that I noticed and I loved how it showed so much emotion with so little dialogue or even movements. That is why I gave this movie 5 out of 5 stars. Great film!
Adult Written byRJames18 April 27, 2016

The old world to another world.....

The movie "Spirited Away" it is one of the greatest movies ever made in Japan that the movie was interesting and watching the movie so many times that I understood the story of every thing in the movie, but the beginning of the movie went from the real world to another world of the character Chihiro Ogino is the little girl of being a freighting little girl, but it's cool that she toughens her freight and fears when she comes across characters in the movie and showing no fear at all.
Parent Written byandreak4 March 20, 2016
Adult Written byAnimeMovieJunky April 5, 2015

oh my goodness...

Ok I watched this when I was like 5 or 6 and I still have dreams about this movie some times. I this this movie is why im freaked out by everything. I can remember alot despite how long ago I watched this movie thats how freaked out i was i mean I have no idea when I watched this movie but I remember so much it's crazy. I do not recommend this to anyone younger than 12. Other than that It's a good movie for an older audience.
Adult Written byaurumwolf August 2, 2014

great movie, slightly creepy

I saw this movie after putting it off for a while since so many people told me about the creepy parts in this movie. (I am not a horror movie lover at all) I love all of Miyazaki's films from Totoro to Howl's Moving Castle and so I decided to try this one out. The movie itself is really not that creepy but the part I disliked the most was when Chihiro's parents turn into pigs after eating some cursed food. (I think that may have been meant to be mildly comical but I didn't see anything funny about that) The character Noh-Face isn't scary at the beginning but after not having any friends, turns to eating everything in the bath house from people to gods to tables. He becomes some sort of massive dripping black creature but returns to normal soon after. There are some other strange characters in this movie such as a man with a spider's body and a lady with an oversized head. Kids who are okay with seeing slightly strange things will be fine. The older you are, the more you will enjoy and appreciate this movie. I'm glad I saw this when I was able to enjoy it unlike some of my friends who saw it too young and were quite traumatized. This is still one of my favorite films because of its interesting storyline and its memorable characters.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byJonathan wood April 5, 2014

The most beautiful animated film ever

This is a film which is fine really a bit to scary for young children but a film they will enjoy and remember and watch again for the rest of their lives. Just invite 2 of their friends over for a sleepover and watch this film together it is a truly wonderful experience then again know your child and don't show this to the easily scared.
Adult Written byArkmabat January 18, 2014

Great movie!

I love this movie. There are some violent scenes and blood splattered, but you have to keep in mind that this movie was originally targeted for young women, so it doesn't go overboard just for the fun of it. Honestly, I have a pretty weak stomach but I love watching this movie, just don't watch it while you already feel nauseated! There are positive messages about friendship, adapting to change, doing what you know is right, honesty, forgiveness, faithfulness, hope and family.
Educator Written bySaskiwi August 9, 2013

Quirky creepy but very cool

Offbeat for viewers not used to anime or Japanese culture,, but older children will enjoy it. Quite a few scares but it pulls back from being too much for most kids too handle. Our boys have loved it since they were about 8 and it still gets watched, 5years on.
Educator Written bymcmanuss March 6, 2013

Unique and Fascinating for All of US

Oh, this movie was a joy to watch. Scary in spots - the parents are in danger and there are some spooky characters, so watch out for sensitive kids. We loved the way the characters changed and helped each other - between this and Airbender, I am beginning to wonder if Asian heroes and villains aren't just generally more complex than "Western" ones. The way Chichiro uses her trust and friendship to grow stronger and to help others was inspiring, but we never felt preached to. We are still talking about this even though we saw it months ago, too. Very excited to see more by this director.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 7, 2012

Great movie,

I would say this is more on the frightening side if you include kids. The "no face?" was a bit scary because he "ate" people. The kid in the movie, her parents are turned into pigs, that might make kids think that their parents are going to be turned into pigs. i think this is a great movie
Parent Written byCheveyo February 20, 2012

A must see!

One of the best movies ever! If you make sure you pre-screen it, you will get a better idea if it's appropriate for YOUR child. My son has been watching it ever since he was about 3 or 4, and although there are some scary scenes, he was fine as long as I was near! A beautiful movie, full of fantasy and wonder! The story and voice acting are fantastic.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

A magical journey of a spoiled little girl who learns what is really important.

This film explores the maturing of a whiny, spoiled little girl who stumbles upon a magical (and a little creepy) world. The animation is fantastic, the plot is original (as most Miyazaki films are), and the characters are unique. The main character, an intelligent though somewhat bratty little girl named Chihiro goes through a transformation and learns what is really important in life. A wonderful, appropriate movie, though some children may find the creatures scary. Great storyline, great message.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

wonderfully animated

Bit scary for children. But I saw it when I was about 9 and could watch it without being too scared. It's brilliantly animated!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo April 30, 2011

My favorite movie

Spirited Away is what I would call Hiyao Miazaki's masterpiece. It is about a young girl named Chihiro, When her parents have to move, they somehow get to a world where spirits rule and humans are told to leave. Chihiro has to get a job in the spirit world and save her parents from the spirit world.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 9 year old Written bycerriwen January 11, 2011

May frighten younger children but is wonderful.

I love this movie and so do the kids. The characters in this movie may be frightening to small children, but it is a sweet show.