All parent member reviews for Spirited Away

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Really good movie

Both my girls (4.5 and 7.5 years) liked it, but they still were a little unsure of a few things. My husband and I needed to explain things during and afterward to reassure them. They now talk about it all the time and sometimes pretend to be spirits. Chihiro is a great role model and it has great message.
Educator and Parent Written byrowlands September 30, 2013

This is a must watch movie - but watch it with your kids and discuss it afterwards

This is a movie with lots of gross monsters, spirits, witches and magic. It gives you a great insight into Japanese culture and mythology. And it is a really great story. In fact this is the best animated movie of all time. I am sure that many kids younger than 5 will enjoy this movie (kids generally like gross monsters and the mild level of violence in the movie), but may be disturbed or confused by it afterwards. This is definitely movie to watch with your kids, and talk to them afterwards. This is not a Disney movie. It has a complex plot and complex themes. My judgement is it is best to wait until your kids are old enough to understand and talk about the issues in the movie with you. This is not a movie where the good guys kill the bad guys. Rather it is a story about a spoiled girl who is forced to overcome her fears and her selfishness to rescue her parents. Both she, and the other people around her (both the nice and not so nice ones) are transformed for the better though the story. It is not a movie that shows any ambiguity about good and bad, but it does show that even bad or flawed people are redeemable. Of all the movies in the commonsense media database, this has one of the widest range of reviews. In part because for many of the reviewers this possibly the first Japanese anime they have watched, and the Japanese do not play by the same rules was Disney or Warner Bros, neither in their plot line, their mythology, or in what is normal to have in a kids movie. Secondly many parents are very sensitive to anything gross and want to protect their kids from it. So they find the scene with the river spirit vomiting up all the pollution that has made it sick very gross. Great children's writers like Hans Christian Anderson and Roald Dahl have recognized that kids & toddlers love this kind of gross. To further the irony, one of the themes of the movie concerns an overprotective parent, placing her baby in a protective prison away from germs and other harmful influences.
Educator Written bySaskiwi August 9, 2013

Quirky creepy but very cool

Offbeat for viewers not used to anime or Japanese culture,, but older children will enjoy it. Quite a few scares but it pulls back from being too much for most kids too handle. Our boys have loved it since they were about 8 and it still gets watched, 5years on.
Educator Written bymcmanuss March 6, 2013

Unique and Fascinating for All of US

Oh, this movie was a joy to watch. Scary in spots - the parents are in danger and there are some spooky characters, so watch out for sensitive kids. We loved the way the characters changed and helped each other - between this and Airbender, I am beginning to wonder if Asian heroes and villains aren't just generally more complex than "Western" ones. The way Chichiro uses her trust and friendship to grow stronger and to help others was inspiring, but we never felt preached to. We are still talking about this even though we saw it months ago, too. Very excited to see more by this director.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

More like Stay Away! Or Go Away and Never Come Back!

This must be a vision of hell. The little girl is so stupid and a complete brat, her parents get turned into pigs (E. B. White is spinning in his grave!), and there' s basically no actual plot. At least not one that makes since or is even a 100th as good as people say it is. This and Coraline are really the same movie, I know so, they both ripped off Alice in Wonderland (see my reviews; I also reviewed Coraline). And for those who may not know, when I said E. B. White is spinning in his grave, I mean because he's the guy who Charlotte's Web. Now THAT is a beautiful book, and it was made into a cartoon that's just as good. I mean, people on this site say THIS is a good movie, but Charlotte's Web is not? You people have got it backwards, that's what I think. So yeah, forget this, watch Charlotte's Web 1 or 2, the remake from 2006, or even Alice in Wonderland instead of this terrible trash.
Parent Written byelldee October 16, 2012

Wish I didn't sit through this.

Disliked it more than words can say. It may be cinematically appealing to some, but it's dark and disturbing at any age. Absolutely not for young kids.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 7, 2012

Great movie,

I would say this is more on the frightening side if you include kids. The "no face?" was a bit scary because he "ate" people. The kid in the movie, her parents are turned into pigs, that might make kids think that their parents are going to be turned into pigs. i think this is a great movie
Parent Written byCheveyo February 20, 2012

A must see!

One of the best movies ever! If you make sure you pre-screen it, you will get a better idea if it's appropriate for YOUR child. My son has been watching it ever since he was about 3 or 4, and although there are some scary scenes, he was fine as long as I was near! A beautiful movie, full of fantasy and wonder! The story and voice acting are fantastic.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

A magical journey of a spoiled little girl who learns what is really important.

This film explores the maturing of a whiny, spoiled little girl who stumbles upon a magical (and a little creepy) world. The animation is fantastic, the plot is original (as most Miyazaki films are), and the characters are unique. The main character, an intelligent though somewhat bratty little girl named Chihiro goes through a transformation and learns what is really important in life. A wonderful, appropriate movie, though some children may find the creatures scary. Great storyline, great message.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

wonderfully animated

Bit scary for children. But I saw it when I was about 9 and could watch it without being too scared. It's brilliantly animated!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo April 30, 2011

My favorite movie

Spirited Away is what I would call Hiyao Miazaki's masterpiece. It is about a young girl named Chihiro, When her parents have to move, they somehow get to a world where spirits rule and humans are told to leave. Chihiro has to get a job in the spirit world and save her parents from the spirit world.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 9 year old Written bycerriwen January 11, 2011

May frighten younger children but is wonderful.

I love this movie and so do the kids. The characters in this movie may be frightening to small children, but it is a sweet show.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySamantha T July 6, 2010

Great movie, I loved it.

When my daughter first watched this, she was about 4 years old. She loved it, but we never remembered the name. 7 years later, she found it. We rented it, and she loved it just as much as before.This is a truly magical movie. I love the idea of a girls parents turning into pigs, so she has to fend for herself. The main character,Chihiro, started out as a spoiled brat. After her parents turn into pigs, she has to get a job and work hard. I would recommend this to anyone.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byhomeschoolin March 9, 2010

Parent Written byib4u March 5, 2010

Fascinating, artful and mysterious, ages 9+

Fascinating, beautiful, too scary, weird and long for pre-K
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written bybarbd40luv December 25, 2009

Confusing

My 10 year old and I both thought this movie was very confusing...normal family one minute and parents turned into giant pigs the next. That's just for starters. The rest of the characters and happenings are equally outrageous and unexpected and therefore the move was a bit confusing and difficult to follow.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjbelew November 30, 2009

Parent of a 18 year old Written byKakarot October 4, 2009

absolute adorable movie for all kids and even for adults

incredible film with an impeccable imagination. though gets a bit violent in some scenes but that is negligible. Miyazaki succeeds again in conveying his message to others.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 29, 2009

loved it

i watched when i was 5 and i loved it!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byRedzet August 29, 2009

Positive flick

Chihiro learns her strength in this movie. She finds a clever way to set things right. She is motivated by danger to her family and uses her wits to reunite them.