All parent member reviews for Spirited Away

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 29, 2009

loved it

i watched when i was 5 and i loved it!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byRedzet August 29, 2009

Positive flick

Chihiro learns her strength in this movie. She finds a clever way to set things right. She is motivated by danger to her family and uses her wits to reunite them.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCalypso98 August 27, 2009

A true Japanese Animation Classic - for 8+ year-olds

Our family classified "Spirited Away" as an instant family favorite and classic. We just fell in love with the story, the message it was imparting and the animation was just incredible! The only reservation I had was that the film might be a little bit scary for some 8+ year-olds due to the parents turning into pigs and the main character of the little girl, Sen, being badly treated by some adult authority figures. However as usual in Hollywood, the story has a geat ending and everyone lives happily ever after.....
Parent of a 1, 7, and 8 year old Written byNaruto uzumaki August 23, 2009
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bymasequeradebeauty August 20, 2009
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypoliteym May 19, 2009

I don't think you need to wait until age 11

This film is scary at points, but the monsters in this film aren't much more terrifying than, say, scenes in Ratatouille in which Remy is attacked with a shotgun, and are a lot less realistic. The film has important things to say about fear: that the things that scare us are the things we don't yet understand, and that the way to overcome fear is not besting opponents, but getting to know them. Maybe in the theater the monsters would be too intense, but I think on DVD a 7-year-old will be able to stay with the film long enough to see how the little girl learns to overcome her fears, which renders the monsters a lot less scary. The parents' behavior at the top (gorging themselves on food in an abandoned shop) is a little troubling, parents could explain to kids that a magic spell is causing them to forget their manners (this is actually the case, but the magic is not apparent until later in the film).
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bygthroop April 19, 2009

I love this movie even for younger kids

I showed this movie to young kids, ages 5 & 7 who are easily frightened at movies and they had no problems with it. It has so many good fundamental lessons in it and is superbly done. I recommend this and especially Princess Mononoke (same directory) below the age levels that they suggest.
Adult Written byorigamifreak February 23, 2009

great movie

This is my favorite movie by Miyazaki. The characters are well done and the movie's storyline is imaginative.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written byjohnsmith1234 April 9, 2008

I loved it!

This is greatly animated.
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

Classic Miyazaki

I must admit, I'm not a fan of Miyazaki's work, and Spirited Away didn't sway me (Laputa did that, not Spirited Away). It works well as a movie somewhat oriented for kids. It's a movie that both kids and parents will enjoy. However, I'm still scratching my head at some parts. Ah, at least the voice acting was well done. ^_^; My only complaint is that it was rather confusing, but it had a descent ending and a good plot. Thumbs up and kudoes to Miyazaki-sama. =D
Adult Written bymamo April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLord Running Clam April 9, 2008
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

I loved this movie, it was absolutely amazing. There are some very scary scenes, so I would be cautious with your kids watching it. Not as good as some of his other work, but I have watched it too many times to count, I love this movie. Teens will especially enjoy it.