All parent member reviews for Spirited Away

Parent of a 1, 7, and 8 year old Written byNaruto uzumaki August 23, 2009

Parent of a 8 year old Written byCBeth August 22, 2009

Very dark and creepy, and depressing as well. Although it received good ratings from critics, I did not like the film at all, and my son hated it (granted, he was probably too young to see it (7), although by the standard guidelines it was supposed to be okay ). In the film, parents lead their young child into what is clearly an unsafe situation and don't pay attention to warming signs and certainly don't think about being careful in unknown situations. The young girl is left to fend by herself but unlike a movie like the Wizard of Oz, almost everyone she meets is menacing and unkind. I did not find the redemption at the end overcame the negativity of the movie.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bymasequeradebeauty August 20, 2009

Parent of a 4 year old Written bypoliteym May 19, 2009

I don't think you need to wait until age 11

This film is scary at points, but the monsters in this film aren't much more terrifying than, say, scenes in Ratatouille in which Remy is attacked with a shotgun, and are a lot less realistic. The film has important things to say about fear: that the things that scare us are the things we don't yet understand, and that the way to overcome fear is not besting opponents, but getting to know them. Maybe in the theater the monsters would be too intense, but I think on DVD a 7-year-old will be able to stay with the film long enough to see how the little girl learns to overcome her fears, which renders the monsters a lot less scary. The parents' behavior at the top (gorging themselves on food in an abandoned shop) is a little troubling, parents could explain to kids that a magic spell is causing them to forget their manners (this is actually the case, but the magic is not apparent until later in the film).
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bygthroop April 19, 2009

I love this movie even for younger kids

I showed this movie to young kids, ages 5 & 7 who are easily frightened at movies and they had no problems with it. It has so many good fundamental lessons in it and is superbly done. I recommend this and especially Princess Mononoke (same directory) below the age levels that they suggest.
Adult Written byorigamifreak February 23, 2009

great movie

This is my favorite movie by Miyazaki. The characters are well done and the movie's storyline is imaginative.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 29, 2009

Magnificent

Quirky original screenplay is scary and amusing.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byqtnn January 11, 2009

Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009

Adult Written byjohnsmith1234 April 9, 2008

I loved it!

This is greatly animated.
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

Classic Miyazaki

I must admit, I'm not a fan of Miyazaki's work, and Spirited Away didn't sway me (Laputa did that, not Spirited Away). It works well as a movie somewhat oriented for kids. It's a movie that both kids and parents will enjoy. However, I'm still scratching my head at some parts. Ah, at least the voice acting was well done. ^_^; My only complaint is that it was rather confusing, but it had a descent ending and a good plot. Thumbs up and kudoes to Miyazaki-sama. =D
Adult Written bymamo April 9, 2008

Adult Written byLord Running Clam April 9, 2008

Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Fantastic

I loved this movie, it was absolutely amazing. There are some very scary scenes, so I would be cautious with your kids watching it. Not as good as some of his other work, but I have watched it too many times to count, I love this movie. Teens will especially enjoy it.