All member reviews for Spirited Away

Teen, 13 years old Written byDaisyLaisy July 30, 2011

Beautiful in every sense

I don't know why it's rated so high. I saw it when I was nine (we rented it from the library) and literally watched it 8 times in two weeks, it was so amazing. The animations are beyond belief. No-face, the "monster" in the movie (Which, I guess, CAN be scary, especially when it ate everything on the bathhouse, including some employees) ended up being a sweet, grandma's boy who liked helping a kindly old witch with her knitting. Many people help Chihiro on her journey to rescue her parents (who have been tunned to pigs after eating food originally meant for the bathhouse's customers), and she is generally loved by the majority of the bathouse's population, although in the beginning, she was seen as a nuisance. If your kid is sensitive to the scary stuff, watch the movie with him/her. Keep the lights on. This movies isn't scary in the sense that it is meant to be frightening, but due to some blood and a trying-to-be-helpful-but-not-so-helpful monster, this movie has gotten a much worse rap than it should have.
Kid, 10 years old August 28, 2010

Perfect for tweens.

LOVE this movie.SUPER scary for kids under te age of ten.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymongofa July 18, 2010

Amazing

I loved this movie, it was very creative. A Miyazaki masterpiece!! There were some tense scenes, but older kids and tweens will be able to handle it.
Kid, 10 years old July 16, 2010

A Family Favorite,For All Ages

The first time I saw this,I was about 3-4. My parents were always at work,letting my grandparents watch me, giving me time to watch alone. But when I saw Spirited Away, I thought it was kind of scary and weird and long. I was little then,but when I saw it again at age 8,I began to understand the concept of the film.The idea of Chihiro's parents turning into pigs when eating enchanted food is genius,and so is the character No-Face.Yubaba and the big,ginormous baby could be frightening to younger children,but teaches the gift of responsibility and maturity. The only gory details are paper birds hitting a dragon,and then coughing up blood afterwards, but nothing else.the fact that Chihiro has to get a job and work,and being mocked at by others can also teach a life philosophy.At the end of the movie,Chihiro's parents are human again,and when Chihiro leaves, she is told to never look back,no matter what,even though she is tempted to. I really do wonder what would happen next if Chihiro looked back. That's something you should talk about with your children. CLIFFHANGER!!! XP
Teen, 16 years old Written bywolfluv203 April 11, 2009

SEE IT

Beautiful Movie
Teen, 16 years old Written byKavki St. Dane November 10, 2009

One of the best

One of my person favorite by Miyazaki (tied with HMC); this movie is remarkable. I was (I think) 10 when I watched it; my brother was 6 or 7, and he didn't like it very much. The best example I can think of right now, is that it's got a polished kind of grotesque-ness to it, and the boy's sensitive so he generally avoids such things (a good comparison might be "Nightmare Before Christmas" - brilliant as it is, it was too dark for him the first few times we watched it). As to what might trigger that leeriness, the protagonist's parents are turned into pigs to symbolize their gluttony early in the movie; there are strange creatures throughout the movie, including No-Face, who appears as a black silhouette distinguished only by a mask; there are a trio of ogre-reminiscent heads that bounce around; there is a scene in which the protagonist is submersed in a muddy golden sludge-like stuff; there is a baby that stands about fifteen feet tall; late in the movie, a dragon coughs up quite a bit of blood. (Most of these probably wouldn't bother kids, but I'm just trying to be thorough). My only personal complaint is that Chihiro's parents really were kind of lousy, even if she did need to toughen up a bit. Otherwise, the movie is remarkable, just tread cautiously with younger ones.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzerealevilcelery May 23, 2009

:]

I don't think it necessarily needs to be 11. Just know your kid. Some scenes are a little scary, but more or less in a Harry Potter 1 sort of way. It is fantasy. The main character triumphs and generally sets a good example. Chihiro doesn't give up, even when the situation seems totally hopeless.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina August 10, 2011

Great just a little scary.

I first saw this movie when I was 8, the movie scared me ALOT! The whole parents being turned into pigs and little girl not much older then myself walking alone in this creepy world made me afraid. I watched again a year or two ago and it was much less scary then I remember but still i can see why it scared my young self. I love the story and the main character is very strong willed. I would recommend it but make sure your child is mature enough.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 31, 2010

Good, but not that good.

I loved it, but there are other Miyazaki films I liked better. Kaze no Tani no Naushika (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) was better in my opinion, but that movie is not on this site. The story may be a bit scary for children, or difficult to comprehend. It teaches a bit of discipline and maturity, and also teaches that everyone can be good, despite a past problem or things they've done to harm the main character. The violence isn't anything to worry about. Some blood, but nothing fatal. A dragon gets beaten by flying paper things, and he spits out blood, nothing more than that. It can be gross when No Face vomits everywhere, but little kids may find it funny when it covers people. I didn't, as it was, indeed, very disgusting. Even though I didn't like it that much, it is an anime classic worth seeing.
Kid, 11 years old May 7, 2010

=) If you like it, watch others! Sure to pleasee.

There are a few parts that little kids would be afraid of, but other than that I love this movie! It has positive messages, great role models, lovely animation. =) I recommend starting with this movie, and if you enjoy it watching others by the same person [Ex. Kiki`s Delivery Service, Howl`s Moving Castle, Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, etc.] Some kids will love it, but some might even get a bit bored. I don`t really think it`s the best movie by this person, but you should see it anyway. It is very sweet. Recognize voice from Lilo and Stitch! :D
Kid, 10 years old August 31, 2009

tweens will love it, don't even try to show the little ones:)

this movie is one of my favorites i love it. i would and do watch it over and over again.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycourtneyelizabeth April 4, 2009

This movie is WONDERFUL!!! Beautiful movie!!! When i first watched this movie i was watching with a five year, it was a little scary to him in the beginning were the parents turn into pigs but other than that i HIGHLY reccomend!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 October 30, 2012

What's to dislike?

I wanted to give this five but due to computer problems only 4, hopefully that will change. Now on to the review, now unlike a lot of you I did not grow up with this film, but I find this to be one of the greatest animated films ever. The story is original, the animation is good especially considering this movie came out when I was 2, I am not the biggest anime fan (some anime is just plain wrong) but this an exception. I really wish I had grown up with Spirited Away.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

Wonderful, but not for really young kids

I first saw this movie when I was 8, and, I had no scary moments at all- well, actually, the pigs at the beginning kinda threw me off, but, now I'm fine with it. I certainly recommend this, although, I think it may be a little too much for under 8. A thrilling film. Don't miss it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byxOAnim3Fr3akOx . December 23, 2010

.............

GYAHH! I REVIEWED IT (look down) but i need to add 1 thing.... chihiro is 11 (V_V) ...( i created a new account just to say thiss)
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2010

MUST SEE. NOW *little bunneh is gonnna bite you if you don't!!!~ GRRRRRR

***look above*** this is the best studio ghibli film. Even though in the beginning, it is slightly wired, (the parents turn into PIGS.....literally) A wonderful film, and a must see. It is creepy, epic, and awesome rolled into 1 film... (crepicome?) lol, anyways, you need to watch it. IMMEDIATELY
Kid, 11 years old August 30, 2010

this is the best movie i ever seen
Kid, 10 years old August 28, 2010

it is a very good book or movie for your children
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2010

Perfect for the whole family!

This is a great movie by Hayao Miyazaki and a show that many people should watch and enjoy. There is only one violent scene where paper birds attack Haku (A boy that becomes a dragon) when he is in dragon form. I know I started enjoying this movie when I was 6 but many sensative kids may not like that the parents turn into pigs and the dragon scene. It has a happy ending and it is really great. You can really watch this movie over and over!
Kid, 11 years old January 14, 2010

Outstanding movie. Amazing.

This was an outstanding movie, while there are some scenes that are a little scary, and there's a bleeding dragon (significantly) there's nothing else really bad about it. It's a young girl that sticks to trying to save her parents in this spirit bath-house. It's a wonderful movie.