All member reviews for Spirited Away

Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2015

Any age is good as long as they don't get creeped out

I LOVE this movie. I first saw it when I was I think 6 and I wasn't scared at all, but one of my friends was scared of it until she was about 10. I loved it. If you have a kid at any age who wants to see this, it is fine as long as they are okay with characters that might be a little creepy, and one slightly gross scene.
Kid, 9 years old April 6, 2015

i was scared and i don't like it for me too much violence
Teen, 15 years old Written byLiviLux01 March 5, 2015

Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2014

Creepy

This movie scared the pee out of me as a child. It scarred me for life. Older children might enjoy it, but for younger children choose a different Studio Ghibli film, like Ponyo.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytvconnoisseur December 13, 2014

Underrecognized Cult Classic!

Seeing even a few minutes of this masterpiece will make you realize that so much more can be accomplished with animation than you’d think! It may not be in the comedy category, but it’s still got humor! Also, I’d highly recommend this to kids who are into anime, but whose parents are getting sick of it, because this will appeal to both! That’s right, it’s not anime! Oh, & did I mention that despite being in the Disney market, the only, solitary, single thing that Disney has any rights to is the English dub? Yep, so even though the characters’ appearances, & the dialogue aren’t exactly scary, they aren’t irritatingly saccharine, either. Plus, there’s an environmental message that will most likely be picked up by your kids’ subconscious minds, &, therefore, be more effective. Everything here’s perfect to the point!
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2014

spirited away

This is my absolute FAVORITE Miyazaki movie, my brother showed it to me once and I loved it! I own the DVD and watch it whenever i get a chance. It's about a girl who's parents turn into pigs and she has to save them, but to save them she has to work for spirits in the spirit world. It's really amazing and the artwork is just extraordinary. there is a bit of drinking and smoking but only lasts for a few seconds.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAnonConcerned October 22, 2014

I'm 17 and I got nightmares.

Based on the awards, I assumed this would be a great, even inspiring, movie to watch with my family. Instead, I was terrified the entire movie, and will never be able to forget the frightening images. This left me and my younger siblings with nightmares in the days following the movie about our parents turning into pigs and being locked in a unescapable vicinity with monsters torturing us, similar to this movie. Bottom line: I understand why this movie sounds appealing, it makes children appreciate their parents, but there are many better movies with the same takeaway that aren't creepy and frankly terrifying.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytidal9334 October 12, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 4, 2014

One-star disaster!

I hated this movie. It was so scary and weird!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCurmagicwithin September 19, 2014

Two thumbs up!

Just Great!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byNo Name, for real. September 5, 2014

A beautifully animated masterpiece!

Despite the animation similarities, Spirited away is not Totoro, princess monoke, or any other Miazaki film, or any other film in any genre ever. the beloved "feel-good" classic, but an edgy, grotesque, and sometimes just flat out weird portrayal of a young girls journey to grow up and take responsibility for more than herself. She fights a witch, rescues friends and family, and stands up and faces tough trials where others don't because of there greediness. This movie is beautiful! Great voice overs, slick animation, and just flat out entertaining. A thrilling movie, but not for little kids who get scared, theres some pretty messed up stuff in here for a kids movie, like some freaky looking creatures and Tim Burton like material. Nevertheless this movie is fantastic, whimsical, and all around beautiful! Dont miss out on this animated masterpiece.
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2014

Notably scary Ghibli film was my introduction

Epicboy21, yet again. Having seen this once, and in the Disney-translated English version (please note that the country of origin for this film was Japan, so there is a Japanese version available), there's the journey of a brave young heroine/girl, who is moving home and school, and is having trouble with it. Her name is Chihiro, but is referred commonly to in the "Spirit World" as Sen, who goes in with her parents, through a mysterious tunnel, which leads to an abandoned theme park, where, however, strange things happen. Her parents are then turned into pigs by gluttony and overeating, which is kinda creepy, so she has to find a cure. This complex, darker story is a good introduction to Studio Ghibli (and, surprisingly, the only Studio Ghibli film I've ever seen) however, it has been rated PG and with good reason. "Some scary moments", proclaims the MPAA. Downunder, it's also rated PG for "Supernatural themes". The aforementioned supernatural themes are quite scary, creepy and frightening, which includes a character which is introduced as appearing out of nowhere. He has a mask, a giant mouth and a ghost-like figure, in which he swallows three people on-screen. ON-SCREEN! However, I should mention the only thing you see is the creature picking the person up and throwing it into it's mouth --- so, there's no blood and gore or anything like that. However, I should mention that there's one creature who is very badly bloodied with scratches all over his body, spraying blood onto the virtual "camera" (I refer to it as virtual because it is also hand-animated, therefore looking kinda unrealistic), the floor and the walls, and the blood cannot be a pretty sight, especially when he spits it. There's also tons and lots of pigs, there's a reference (or two) to making them bacon, we can see fish on a fish market. Flames are also shot from a monster, there's three very weird bouncing green detached heads that have deep voices and go "Bing. Bing. Bing. Bing. Bing.", which can be kinda threatening for younger children. There's quite a few jump scenes, which can get children, one involving a broken stair, one involving a creature crashing through a window, and one where a creature jumps out. Also, there's one threatening exclamation by a big-headed Grandma-figure saying that if a girl doesn't do what she says, she'll "rip your mouth out". Some themes. Chihiro is a very brave protagonist, and insists, even if she gets a little sulky and wimpy sometimes. But, naturally. Some creatures smoke in this film, and a girl's mouth is zipped up by magic and unzipped by magic. Pretty scary. So, really, this is a nice film, even if it's in English or Japanese. Watch it. Enjoy it. Love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRaeBae2000 June 16, 2014

Amazing!

I love this movie. I think this was the first anime movie I ever watched. I watched for the first time when I was four and it scared me so not for really young kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlex L H April 4, 2014

EXTREMLY CREEPY

My 7 year old brother who is not scared easily at all, was really freaked out by this movie. It has been multiple months since we saw the movie and he is still up at night terrified of the movie. Like I said he is not scared easily at all, he has watched many movies that seemed much scarier than this to me and been fine but he was terrified of this movie. My ten year old sister was also freaked out by this movie. I have to admit even to me this movie was pretty creepy. We looked at this website before we watched the movie and thought it would be ok, I think CSM made it sound a lot less scary than it was. The main characters parents are turned into really creepy looking pigs, and there are many scary looking monsters and a lot of scary moments. This is NOT a kid friendly movie at all. You are much better off watching Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the sky, Or Kiki's Delivery Service, they are all family friendly. Even if your kid is not scared easily at all I would not let them watch this, it is a lot scarier than it looks. I have no idea why no one else is reviewing this as scary, I don't know if its just to prove they are tough or not but I play many dark and scary video games and not much phases me, but this move had me freaked out! There are many other movies that are family friendly, just skip this one! Even if this looks like a kid friendly movie it is not! If your kids really want to watch it please, please preview it first.
Kid, 12 years old April 1, 2014

Great!

It may be too scary for a young one, but 13 and over is a good age range
Kid, 9 years old March 1, 2014

Amazing Movie

I think that some parts can be a bit gross but it has really good messages in it. I also think that it is good for a whole family to watch together.
Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2014

LEARNING

GREAT!

BEST. JAPANESE. ANIMATED. FILM. This film is visually good,and to me it was Hayao's best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGamer_Girl_36 January 4, 2014

I Love This Movie!!!

Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies by Studio Ghibli, along with My Neighbor Totoro. I think that the only thing that may bother some kids is that there are some "scary" creatures and some action. There is one ghost-like creature that (only in a couple minutes of the movie) swallowed humans whole. They didn't make it violent and later he spits them out perfectly fine. It does have good messages of courage and perseverance with Chihiro trying to cure her parents.
Kid, 9 years old December 22, 2013

way too good

i'd say this is the best movie i've ever seen!
Kid, 12 years old September 14, 2013

The best anime ever!!!

THis is my favourite movie of all time! I used to watch it when i was 7 years old and i loved it!! My 6 year old brother likes it too and doesn't find it scary. There isn't really any violence but there is some blood. There are some Ghosts but they don't really do anything. I strongly recommend this if you like adventure and anime's!