All member reviews for Spirited Away

Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2014

Notably scary Ghibli film was my introduction

Epicboy21, yet again. Having seen this once, and in the Disney-translated English version (please note that the country of origin for this film was Japan, so there is a Japanese version available), there's the journey of a brave young heroine/girl, who is moving home and school, and is having trouble with it. Her name is Chihiro, but is referred commonly to in the "Spirit World" as Sen, who goes in with her parents, through a mysterious tunnel, which leads to an abandoned theme park, where, however, strange things happen. Her parents are then turned into pigs by gluttony and overeating, which is kinda creepy, so she has to find a cure. This complex, darker story is a good introduction to Studio Ghibli (and, surprisingly, the only Studio Ghibli film I've ever seen) however, it has been rated PG and with good reason. "Some scary moments", proclaims the MPAA. Downunder, it's also rated PG for "Supernatural themes". The aforementioned supernatural themes are quite scary, creepy and frightening, which includes a character which is introduced as appearing out of nowhere. He has a mask, a giant mouth and a ghost-like figure, in which he swallows three people on-screen. ON-SCREEN! However, I should mention the only thing you see is the creature picking the person up and throwing it into it's mouth --- so, there's no blood and gore or anything like that. However, I should mention that there's one creature who is very badly bloodied with scratches all over his body, spraying blood onto the virtual "camera" (I refer to it as virtual because it is also hand-animated, therefore looking kinda unrealistic), the floor and the walls, and the blood cannot be a pretty sight, especially when he spits it. There's also tons and lots of pigs, there's a reference (or two) to making them bacon, we can see fish on a fish market. Flames are also shot from a monster, there's three very weird bouncing green detached heads that have deep voices and go "Bing. Bing. Bing. Bing. Bing.", which can be kinda threatening for younger children. There's quite a few jump scenes, which can get children, one involving a broken stair, one involving a creature crashing through a window, and one where a creature jumps out. Also, there's one threatening exclamation by a big-headed Grandma-figure saying that if a girl doesn't do what she says, she'll "rip your mouth out". Some themes. Chihiro is a very brave protagonist, and insists, even if she gets a little sulky and wimpy sometimes. But, naturally. Some creatures smoke in this film, and a girl's mouth is zipped up by magic and unzipped by magic. Pretty scary. So, really, this is a nice film, even if it's in English or Japanese. Watch it. Enjoy it. Love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRaeBae2000 June 16, 2014

Amazing!

I love this movie. I think this was the first anime movie I ever watched. I watched for the first time when I was four and it scared me so not for really young kids.
Kid, 12 years old April 1, 2014

Great!

It may be too scary for a young one, but 13 and over is a good age range
Kid, 9 years old March 1, 2014

Amazing Movie

I think that some parts can be a bit gross but it has really good messages in it. I also think that it is good for a whole family to watch together.
Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2014

LEARNING

GREAT!

BEST. JAPANESE. ANIMATED. FILM. This film is visually good,and to me it was Hayao's best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGamer_Girl_36 January 4, 2014

I Love This Movie!!!

Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies by Studio Ghibli, along with My Neighbor Totoro. I think that the only thing that may bother some kids is that there are some "scary" creatures and some action. There is one ghost-like creature that (only in a couple minutes of the movie) swallowed humans whole. They didn't make it violent and later he spits them out perfectly fine. It does have good messages of courage and perseverance with Chihiro trying to cure her parents.
Kid, 9 years old December 22, 2013

way too good

i'd say this is the best movie i've ever seen!
Kid, 12 years old September 14, 2013

The best anime ever!!!

THis is my favourite movie of all time! I used to watch it when i was 7 years old and i loved it!! My 6 year old brother likes it too and doesn't find it scary. There isn't really any violence but there is some blood. There are some Ghosts but they don't really do anything. I strongly recommend this if you like adventure and anime's!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylaurensb July 1, 2013

Amazing Movie

I think this is one of the best animated movies out there. It has a great storyline, beautiful animation, and a deep meaning to it. Some of the spirits might be a little scary to some kids, but in the end you see that they really aren't that bad. Chihiro (the main character) is very brave, loyal, and kind to her friends and family. She is a great role model for kids. You should definitely see this movie, even just for the animation.
Kid, 9 years old June 30, 2013

One of The Best Movies EVER!!!!!

This Was The 3rd Miyazaki Film I Had Ever Watched And I Was at The Edge of My Seat The Whole Time. This Movie has Breathtaking animation and I Think, Is One of The Best movies EVER Made. It Really Showed What Miyazaki Can Do.
Kid, 10 years old May 5, 2013

Awesome movie!

Spirited Away is a great family film from the amazing Miyazaki! There is a bit of blood from paper cuts, and young kids might be scared of the No-Face character, but No-Face turns out good. There is also a mention of sake,(a Japanese beer) but it is not actually shown. Spirited Away is an awesome movie with great characters and a good message.
Teen, 13 years old Written byViceversa March 12, 2013

A little scary for younger kids

Teen, 13 years old Written byglitchmaster March 12, 2013

awesome

this movie is great for kids above 7 because their is 1 a little brutale scene in it but if you're watching naruto are bdz you can realy watch this movie nice graphic too
Teen, 16 years old Written bylala2323 March 11, 2013

the best family animation movie!

this movie is by-far the Best studio ghibli movie. this message is for children under the ages 11& under: if you hate this movie and say that you got "tramatized" then you clearly didn't get the message of the movie. for those of you that posted the comments like " i get nightmares" you have probably seen worse. those pigs probably resemble your brains. you can't process the message correctly in your head so therefore you have no right to post that it gave you night mares. if you hated the movie soo much, why the hell are you wasting your time in posting comments here. there are 5 stars up there for a reason! if you didnt like the movie, THEN RATE IT DOWN! this is for those people who havent seen the movie: it is the best cartoon animation experience, those little punks don't know what a good movie is when they see it. they probably watch bratz on their t.v on sunday mornings.
Kid, 12 years old January 17, 2013

Great Movie!!

Spirited Away is an amazing movie that is well put together. It reminds me of Totoro the way it is animated. The movie is basically about a girl and her parents that accidentally wander into a magical land full of spirits and weird creatures. Her parents eat enchanted food so they turn into an animals and she must overpower a evil witch named Yubaba who owns the bath house in order to save her parents. Spirited Away is a great movie and I give it a two thumbs up!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydirectioner23 January 13, 2013

First anime I ever saw!

Kid, 8 years old January 12, 2013

Spirited Away Review

I love this movie!
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2013

My 2nd Favorite Myazaki Movie

Howl's Moving Castle is my 1st favorite.UPDATE Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my new favorite. Anyway, there's some violence when a dragon gets chased by paper birds. The main character's a brat at first, but she changes. It's definately the strangest animated movie I've ever seen. C.S.M overeacted. My 8 and 9 year old sisters weren't scared at all. It's my 8 year old sister's favorite movie. My 9 year old sister wouldn't have liked it as much without the giant baby. (She loves babies.)
Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2012

This is a great movie!!!

I think this is a fantasy movie! I think this movie is suitable for age 5 and above. Hope you enjoy it!
Kid, 11 years old October 1, 2012

One of the Best Animes

It is an amazing movie. No wonder it won an Oscar. There wasn't a dull moment. Common Sense Media is usualy a few years too high. My 8 and 9 year old sisters were not scared at all.