All teen and kid member reviews for Spirited Away

Teen, 16 years old Written bygorehaunter July 6, 2009

Heartwaming...

Hmmm Princess mononoke is made by the same people and is pg-13, but in this website says that everyone over 9 can veiw it, while this is pg, and says over 11. They got this completely wrong. This movie is not like the comedy or playing kind, but it is very heartwarming, and feels very good when you watch it. Kids should be over age 7 maybe to watch it. The only innapropriatte sence is when a dragon is poked and scratched by a thousand paper birds, and the dragon has red blood, like 30% over his body, and when he crashes into the building, blood splatters. The dragon survives though. This 20 second sence is the only part of the movie where there is very very mild blood. 20 seconds out of 3 hours. Yes, the movie is very long. It is nightmare fantasy-ish. Kids under 7 may be scared... be warned. ( my sister, the age of 6 thought it was "awesome" and not "scary" )
Teen, 13 years old Written byocie14 October 2, 2010

Don't care how good it is...

I saw this movie when I was about 8, and I was TERRIFIED. Still am, every time I am alone in my house and I turn a corner, I am scared that "no-face" monster is there. SO FREAKY AND UPSETTING
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2009

Awesome movie

Omigosh probably one of the BEST movies ever!! Enjoyed it so much!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMichikorabbit2 December 28, 2009

Amazing. Just... amazing.

This is absolutely my favorite animated movie of all time. The storyline if very deep. The animation is AMAZING. All of the monsters have a unique design; even the ones that are seen in the background. Hayao Miyazaki, the creator of this movie, is my favorite director. Something great about him is that he is slightly a feminist, for his movies contain brave, intelligent females (unlike lots of other movies in Japan). You can see this in Spirited Away, for Chihiro is a good a role model and so is, to a lesser extent, Zeniba. I recommend his other movies for those who like this one. Little kids might be scared of this movie, for the monsters can be creepy at times. There is some blood.
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2009

AWESOME!!! XD

COME ON!!! 11+... Please!! Commonsense is wrong bout this one i was 6 when i watched this movie and i loved it!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymangafreak327 March 25, 2010

I saw this movie two years ago, and as soon as i finished it, i couldn't help but wish that I was chihiro. This is such a beautiful movie, but it is a tad bit violent. Small paper "birds" chase the Dragon Haku around and give him papercuts, and he is later seen coughing up blood. otherwise this film is the best, and i recommend just covering the young one's eyes when the scary parts are on so that maybe they can enjoy this too.
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2010

not for

kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byzerealevilcelery May 23, 2009

:]

I don't think it necessarily needs to be 11. Just know your kid. Some scenes are a little scary, but more or less in a Harry Potter 1 sort of way. It is fantasy. The main character triumphs and generally sets a good example. Chihiro doesn't give up, even when the situation seems totally hopeless.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhoneyliz May 29, 2013

Seven year old me regrets seeing this movie

I watched this when I was about... 7 years old. I was so scared. I didn't sleep for weeks. I still have bad memories of sleepless nights and tears because of this movie. I remember distinctively that I watched it at a friend's house, and it was all just very horrifying and scary for young me. I have not rewatched it however, so maybe I would think it less scary today, but then it was my worst nightmare.
Kid, 11 years old August 31, 2009

Great Movie; Pretty Scary For Tweens And Under

Don't take the fact that this is a cartoon and think that this is not a frightening movie. There are a lot of out-of-the-blue, sudden surprises, plus an extremely important character nearly bleeds to death. On the good side, though, the movie is about a young girl who does anything she can to turn her parents back into humans, since they were turned into pigs in the beginning. (If this was a live action film rather than a cartoon, it would most likely be rated PG-13.)
Teen, 17 years old Written byAnonConcerned October 22, 2014

I'm 17 and I got nightmares.

Based on the awards, I assumed this would be a great, even inspiring, movie to watch with my family. Instead, I was terrified the entire movie, and will never be able to forget the frightening images. This left me and my younger siblings with nightmares in the days following the movie about our parents turning into pigs and being locked in a unescapable vicinity with monsters torturing us, similar to this movie. Bottom line: I understand why this movie sounds appealing, it makes children appreciate their parents, but there are many better movies with the same takeaway that aren't creepy and frankly terrifying.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 4, 2014

One-star disaster!

I hated this movie. It was so scary and weird!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlex L H April 4, 2014

EXTREMLY CREEPY

My 7 year old brother who is not scared easily at all, was really freaked out by this movie. It has been multiple months since we saw the movie and he is still up at night terrified of the movie. Like I said he is not scared easily at all, he has watched many movies that seemed much scarier than this to me and been fine but he was terrified of this movie. My ten year old sister was also freaked out by this movie. I have to admit even to me this movie was pretty creepy. We looked at this website before we watched the movie and thought it would be ok, I think CSM made it sound a lot less scary than it was. The main characters parents are turned into really creepy looking pigs, and there are many scary looking monsters and a lot of scary moments. This is NOT a kid friendly movie at all. You are much better off watching Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the sky, Or Kiki's Delivery Service, they are all family friendly. Even if your kid is not scared easily at all I would not let them watch this, it is a lot scarier than it looks. I have no idea why no one else is reviewing this as scary, I don't know if its just to prove they are tough or not but I play many dark and scary video games and not much phases me, but this move had me freaked out! There are many other movies that are family friendly, just skip this one! Even if this looks like a kid friendly movie it is not! If your kids really want to watch it please, please preview it first.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykimjim98 December 19, 2013

the best animated film i have ever seen!!!!!!!!

It was the best animated film i have ever seen i mean this film is life changing and it is indeed magical and great viewing expiece for the whole family.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylala2323 March 11, 2013

the best family animation movie!

this movie is by-far the Best studio ghibli movie. this message is for children under the ages 11& under: if you hate this movie and say that you got "tramatized" then you clearly didn't get the message of the movie. for those of you that posted the comments like " i get nightmares" you have probably seen worse. those pigs probably resemble your brains. you can't process the message correctly in your head so therefore you have no right to post that it gave you night mares. if you hated the movie soo much, why the hell are you wasting your time in posting comments here. there are 5 stars up there for a reason! if you didnt like the movie, THEN RATE IT DOWN! this is for those people who havent seen the movie: it is the best cartoon animation experience, those little punks don't know what a good movie is when they see it. they probably watch bratz on their t.v on sunday mornings.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhockeyman47 September 26, 2011

Strange But Amazing

This movie is probably my favorite Miyazaki movie ever. It has a wonderfully strange storyline, great animation, and great characters. Let me start with a content advisory then move on to a movie review. Violence: Some characters, such as no face, can be frightening to younger viewers. A large baby threatens to break the main characters arm. The main characters parents turn into pigs and can be scary to younger kids. No Face devours three very minor characters then, later, throws them up. The most violent part is when one character who has taken the shape of a dragon is attacked by paper bird like things (I'm not exactly sure what they are). He flies into the room that the main character is in and, in the process, gets blood all over the carpet and walls. Then, as he flies back out of the room, he splatters blood on the sliding glass doors and balcony rail. When the main character finds him later, there is blood dripping out of his mouth. Language: There are no swear words in this movie. The only language is some violent lines such as, "I will rip your mouth out," and a couple other lines similar to that. That's about it for content advisory. Now on to the movie review. This movie is just beautiful. I can't explain to you how much I love the animation. There are many scenes that blew my mind on how beautiful they were. When Sen is on the sea railway is my absolute favorite scene of the movie. The colors are vibrant and beautiful (sorry for how many times I've used that word, but I feel it is necessary to describe this movie). The clouds are works of art themselves. The grassy fields are so beautifully (sorry) colored.The architecture is great as well. When Chihiro and her parents walk through the abandoned train station light shines through colored windows and lights the floor. I find that part very artistic. The bath house, when viewed from the side, reminds me of Howls Moving Castle, another great movie by the way. The score is just great. Joe Hisaishi, who does many of the scores for Miyazaki films, is a genius. This movie is the only one that ever inspired me to go buy one of its songs, the theme song, from ITunes. The plot is very strange as many anime movies are, but, although it may seem simple, I believe it can be very deep. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and If the plot doesn't sound interesting to you, watch it for the animation. You won't regret it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina August 10, 2011

Great just a little scary.

I first saw this movie when I was 8, the movie scared me ALOT! The whole parents being turned into pigs and little girl not much older then myself walking alone in this creepy world made me afraid. I watched again a year or two ago and it was much less scary then I remember but still i can see why it scared my young self. I love the story and the main character is very strong willed. I would recommend it but make sure your child is mature enough.
Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2011

Worthy of an Osc- oh wait.

I saw this movie when I was about 7. It really scared me back then which is why I gave the 10+ rating. Now I LOVE this movie. It is a great example of Japanese culture and has good messages in the end- (SPOILERS FROM HERE ON) Chihiro risking her life for the mud monster, No-face, Haku, and her parents, and No-face turning from a ravenous monster to a loving companion. It is quite violent in some parts, such as Haku internally bleeding after an attack by paper birds, No-face eating the bathers, and the mud monster can be REALLY disturbing. But I loved this movie, along with Miyazaki's other works. As the title states, it was worthy of its Oscar. Just don't let your little kids watch it.
Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2011

STUPID

I HATED this movie! It scared my skin off!!!
Kid, 11 years old March 8, 2011

great family movie preteens and teens mostly

i am a kid and i loved it. a great family movie maybe some explaining to do for younger kids