All member reviews for Spirited Away

Teen, 16 years old Written bygorehaunter July 6, 2009

Heartwaming...

Hmmm Princess mononoke is made by the same people and is pg-13, but in this website says that everyone over 9 can veiw it, while this is pg, and says over 11. They got this completely wrong. This movie is not like the comedy or playing kind, but it is very heartwarming, and feels very good when you watch it. Kids should be over age 7 maybe to watch it. The only innapropriatte sence is when a dragon is poked and scratched by a thousand paper birds, and the dragon has red blood, like 30% over his body, and when he crashes into the building, blood splatters. The dragon survives though. This 20 second sence is the only part of the movie where there is very very mild blood. 20 seconds out of 3 hours. Yes, the movie is very long. It is nightmare fantasy-ish. Kids under 7 may be scared... be warned. ( my sister, the age of 6 thought it was "awesome" and not "scary" )
Teen, 13 years old Written byocie14 October 2, 2010

Don't care how good it is...

I saw this movie when I was about 8, and I was TERRIFIED. Still am, every time I am alone in my house and I turn a corner, I am scared that "no-face" monster is there. SO FREAKY AND UPSETTING
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2009

Awesome movie

Omigosh probably one of the BEST movies ever!! Enjoyed it so much!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMichikorabbit2 December 28, 2009

Amazing. Just... amazing.

This is absolutely my favorite animated movie of all time. The storyline if very deep. The animation is AMAZING. All of the monsters have a unique design; even the ones that are seen in the background. Hayao Miyazaki, the creator of this movie, is my favorite director. Something great about him is that he is slightly a feminist, for his movies contain brave, intelligent females (unlike lots of other movies in Japan). You can see this in Spirited Away, for Chihiro is a good a role model and so is, to a lesser extent, Zeniba. I recommend his other movies for those who like this one. Little kids might be scared of this movie, for the monsters can be creepy at times. There is some blood.
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2009

AWESOME!!! XD

COME ON!!! 11+... Please!! Commonsense is wrong bout this one i was 6 when i watched this movie and i loved it!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymangafreak327 March 25, 2010

I saw this movie two years ago, and as soon as i finished it, i couldn't help but wish that I was chihiro. This is such a beautiful movie, but it is a tad bit violent. Small paper "birds" chase the Dragon Haku around and give him papercuts, and he is later seen coughing up blood. otherwise this film is the best, and i recommend just covering the young one's eyes when the scary parts are on so that maybe they can enjoy this too.
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2010

not for

kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byzerealevilcelery May 23, 2009

:]

I don't think it necessarily needs to be 11. Just know your kid. Some scenes are a little scary, but more or less in a Harry Potter 1 sort of way. It is fantasy. The main character triumphs and generally sets a good example. Chihiro doesn't give up, even when the situation seems totally hopeless.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykimjim98 December 19, 2013

the best animated film i have ever seen!!!!!!!!

It was the best animated film i have ever seen i mean this film is life changing and it is indeed magical and great viewing expiece for the whole family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhockeyman47 September 26, 2011

Strange But Amazing

This movie is probably my favorite Miyazaki movie ever. It has a wonderfully strange storyline, great animation, and great characters. Let me start with a content advisory then move on to a movie review. Violence: Some characters, such as no face, can be frightening to younger viewers. A large baby threatens to break the main characters arm. The main characters parents turn into pigs and can be scary to younger kids. No Face devours three very minor characters then, later, throws them up. The most violent part is when one character who has taken the shape of a dragon is attacked by paper bird like things (I'm not exactly sure what they are). He flies into the room that the main character is in and, in the process, gets blood all over the carpet and walls. Then, as he flies back out of the room, he splatters blood on the sliding glass doors and balcony rail. When the main character finds him later, there is blood dripping out of his mouth. Language: There are no swear words in this movie. The only language is some violent lines such as, "I will rip your mouth out," and a couple other lines similar to that. That's about it for content advisory. Now on to the movie review. This movie is just beautiful. I can't explain to you how much I love the animation. There are many scenes that blew my mind on how beautiful they were. When Sen is on the sea railway is my absolute favorite scene of the movie. The colors are vibrant and beautiful (sorry for how many times I've used that word, but I feel it is necessary to describe this movie). The clouds are works of art themselves. The grassy fields are so beautifully (sorry) colored.The architecture is great as well. When Chihiro and her parents walk through the abandoned train station light shines through colored windows and lights the floor. I find that part very artistic. The bath house, when viewed from the side, reminds me of Howls Moving Castle, another great movie by the way. The score is just great. Joe Hisaishi, who does many of the scores for Miyazaki films, is a genius. This movie is the only one that ever inspired me to go buy one of its songs, the theme song, from ITunes. The plot is very strange as many anime movies are, but, although it may seem simple, I believe it can be very deep. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and If the plot doesn't sound interesting to you, watch it for the animation. You won't regret it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina August 10, 2011

Great just a little scary.

I first saw this movie when I was 8, the movie scared me ALOT! The whole parents being turned into pigs and little girl not much older then myself walking alone in this creepy world made me afraid. I watched again a year or two ago and it was much less scary then I remember but still i can see why it scared my young self. I love the story and the main character is very strong willed. I would recommend it but make sure your child is mature enough.
Kid, 11 years old March 8, 2011

great family movie preteens and teens mostly

i am a kid and i loved it. a great family movie maybe some explaining to do for younger kids
Teen, 16 years old Written byxOAnim3Fr3akOx . December 23, 2010

.............

GYAHH! I REVIEWED IT (look down) but i need to add 1 thing.... chihiro is 11 (V_V) ...( i created a new account just to say thiss)
Kid, 11 years old August 31, 2010

Excellent!

This movie is a masterpiece! I love Hayao Miyazaki's work. I watched it when I only seven and I've been loving it ever since! Chihiro is a well-balanced young heroine and the characters are creative & endlessly interesting. There's enough humor & fun fantasy elements for kids while the touch of dark fantasy & intriguing plot will make teens & adults love it too! But like those before me have said; some parts will be frightening too younger children. Be cautious; even if your little brother of sister says that they can take it! ;P
Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2010

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it also has the voice of whoever voices Meg in Hercules. Also, don't miss Howl's Moving Castle!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymongofa July 18, 2010

Amazing

I loved this movie, it was very creative. A Miyazaki masterpiece!! There were some tense scenes, but older kids and tweens will be able to handle it.
Kid, 12 years old February 27, 2010

Great movie!!

I love it I saw it when I was 7 their is some violince but none to be that concerned about but some of the scenes with no-face is creepy one of my favorite movies
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2010

Great for Children

This movie was absoulutly fantastic. I saw it when I was about seven and fell in love with it then. The movie does have some scary parts, but nothing to violent or nightmare worthy. I think this is a perfect movie for ages 7 and up.
Kid, 11 years old August 31, 2009

Great Movie; Pretty Scary For Tweens And Under

Don't take the fact that this is a cartoon and think that this is not a frightening movie. There are a lot of out-of-the-blue, sudden surprises, plus an extremely important character nearly bleeds to death. On the good side, though, the movie is about a young girl who does anything she can to turn her parents back into humans, since they were turned into pigs in the beginning. (If this was a live action film rather than a cartoon, it would most likely be rated PG-13.)
Kid, 9 years old August 27, 2009

rock on miyazaki!! rock on!

This movie is one of my favorite movies. if you liked howls moving castle your going to love this!!