All member reviews for Spooky Buddies

Halloween puppy movie might be too scary for youngest kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written byjamesrosebud November 11, 2011

spooky buddies

i like this movie! i'm 16 years old
Kid, 10 years old November 13, 2011

spooky spooky buddies

I would rate it PG. SCARY!!!! I am 11 years old and even I thought it was scary. It was also sad. That night, I went to bed early and dug my face in the pillow. (i was sooo sad.) I am thankful that I have a non-sacrificed dog. When there was a scene with the mirror saying Halloween hound 3 times, a creepy dog with green, glowing eyes appeared. In the begging of the movie, a wizard stole and sacrificed a little boys dog with 5 other dogs.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byncst October 25, 2011

Surprised at the storyline

My husbands and I were surprised at this film when compared to the other "Buddy" franchise films. Our 4 and 6 yr old daughters were terrified of the Halloween hound and how it ate the souls of puppies!
Adult Written bykeerstn September 28, 2011

Too scary for little kids, too dumb for bigger kids

WAY too scary for a buddies movie. If you are considering letting your kids watch Harry Potter movies, this would be a good way to see if they're ready. This movie works for kids who want to REALLY be scared - but not for kids who love watching the puppies. The puppies are almost completely absent in this one, and there are almost no laughs - except for an occasional adult joke. NOT good for kids under 8 (although my almost-8-year-old was terrified, too). My 11-year-old kept saying, 'I can't believe this isn't rated PG.' The parents turning into zombies was unfathomable. What were these people thinking? And to make matters worse, the movie simply isn't any good - so even big kids probably shouldn't bother. The film's only redeeming value is that Tim Conway did the voice of the ol' bloodhound, originally done by Don Knotts - and did a great job. It it's worth watching for five minutes of Tim Conway, try it. Otherwise, skip it.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bylbow September 28, 2011

Disappointed

We were so happy we had it in time for my son's 6th birthday. It's always hard to find things that are for halloween but are not too scary. We turned it off after the first 15 minutes and even that was too much. The scary looking, glowing eyed, evil dog sucking in the puppies souls as payment for a portal to the underworld in order to unleash all the underworld creatures on Fernfield?! I screened the rest alone with my husband and it was mostly a story with the kids and not very much of the buddies. It had too much scary imagery, music and sorcery for me. We won't keep this movie. Although we really like all the other buddy movies, this one is not appealing.
Parent Written byColo. Twin Mommy September 28, 2011

Too scary for little kids.

It is too scary and the themes are "above" young children. It may be good for older children but way too scary for young children. My twins are 4.5 and they usually love the "Buddies" movies. This one was too much for them. About halfway in, they were covering their heads and one started saying, "Turn it off! Turn it off!" I fast-forwarded to the end so they could see everyone was alive and well. Only then did they stop crying. I think I'm going to shelf this DVD for the next 4-5 years.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheergirl795 November 7, 2011

Way scarier than it sounds... definetly not for anyone under age 8.

I got this movie for my 7 year old sister's birthday and she was so scared when she was watching this. overall, it was a good story but it was not appropriatly rated G. It should definetly be a PG.
Kid, 5 years old October 29, 2011

Disappointed Mom and Son

My 5 year old son didn't like this movie (he's almost 6) because it was "scary." He didn't like the mean, red-eyed dog, and was really disturbed by the puppies souls being stolen. He was so disturbed that he decided that our dog could no longer go outside. Disappointing.....
Adult Written byEbro November 1, 2011

Really good for 9/10 and up.

My children 10 & 13 love this movie. I have to admit for the Buddies series this one is pretty cute for Halloween. There are some scenes that may be a bit intense for younger viewer. But, overall I found this movie to be well done.
Parent Written bytwinangel December 28, 2011

I wish I had watched this before letting my daughter watch with me.

This is a very dark edition of AirBuddies. We watched this at my daughter's elementary school. I was glad to be there to reassure my daughter yet I had to spoil the ending for her because she was so concerned about the dogs. The beginning five minutes and last 20-30 mins are VERY intense for any kid under, at the very least, age 8. However, I feel with theme content this should really be rated for tweens not lower elementary. AirBuddies should have left this a light hearted tale since the plot is really geared to the preschool to lower elementary age groups. I did like that the kids were focused on setting things right once they realized what had happened 50+ years before. They were realistic in that not all kids are perfect and sometimes have the wrong attitude or perception of older people as well as their peers. Take out the intense spooky theme and this would make a great addition to my 6yo's collection.
Parent Written bypjpjm February 6, 2012

Worst buddy movie to date.

We had watched all of the buddy movies and really enjoyed them, until this one. Unfortunately, I trusted that it would be enjoyable like the others and it was not. It was scary with no point. Our kids (7, 5, 5), hated it and we turned it off before we'd watched much at all. We then watched more after they'd gone to bed and realized quickly that it had no redeeming value.
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2012

Alvin and the chipmunks plus this movie equals cool.

It was a great movie,but could use a little munk power. I love the chipmunks and think it will be amazing to see the munks meet the buddies.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 January 22, 2012

o;yh

halloween buddie movie turns out to be a good mini movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLucyfluffyemmy March 2, 2012

Spooky buddies

The best movie every seen
Parent Written byappsmom October 28, 2012

Mean spirited, bullies, a dog is turned to stone and a kid thinks it is dead.

Halloween Hound turns the dog into stone and although he comes alive in the end, kid thinks he is dead, my daughter was so upset since she thought it was mean to kill a dog.
Parent Written byWagEts July 10, 2012

Worst buddy movie ever!

This movie was terrible. There was nothing redeeming about it for children or for adults. We tried to fast forward through the scary parts to see if there were parts that were entertaining, but there really were none.
Parent Written byartexas2012 July 16, 2013

VERY creepy! Evil dog steals puppies' souls. Daughter to cried herself to sleep!

My 8 year old daughter watched over half of this with a friend who had seen it before. I wish I would have read these reviews first; if I had, I would not have let them watch it. My daughter was crying in her bed that night, and when I asked her what was wrong, she started telling me about this movie. She said she was worried about the puppies who were turned to stone when their souls were stolen. That sounds like a HORRIBLE children's movie! How is this rated G? As a Christian parent with a child who is sensitive to violence and creepy stuff, I keep finding reasons to ALWAYS check Common Sense Media first! My daughter was sobbing as she explained the story to me, they could not stop crying as she went to sleep.
Parent Written byChickFlicky October 30, 2014

Dont watch it

Worst show disney has ever created. On the cover it looks like a nice show but its sad, creepy, and inappropriate for kids. My 9 year old son watched it at school and you came home in tears feeling scared. Stupid movie!! (And teacher with a bad judgement call).
Parent of a 11 year old Written bypro104 October 26, 2014

VERY shocked

Despite the familiar faces and the Disney logo, we were alarmed to see that the filmmakers were so intent on showing so much dog genitalia. Also, there's a Satanic dog that feeds on the souls of other dogs.
Kid, 11 years old February 25, 2014