All member reviews for Stand by Me

Edgy coming-of-age story not for young kids.

My favorite film of all time, period

I have seen over 500 films in my lifetime, and this has been my favorite for 3 years (yes I saw it when I was nine, get over it!) I instantly fell in love with this film, and you will too!!!!! I really can't waste anymore time writing this review, I'm getting ready to watch for the 14th time. So, see this inspirational film about friendship (if you're over 12 of course, the language is pretty harsh.)
Parent of a 11 year old Written bykristijones67 August 7, 2010

edgy is good.

edgy is good. the world is edgy. I'd rather my daughter watch this than the disney princess crap. If your children are going to be shocked by the f-word maybe you should keep them sheltered for as long as you can. talk to your kids. ~k
Teen, 13 years old Written bySafemancam001 February 13, 2011

Rated R, but okay for teens.

This was an amazing movie. Lots of drama with a touch of comedy mixed in.
Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2011

It is a great movie but has alot of bad words.
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

A great film for mature teenagers only

Sexual Content (Pause): Sexual innuendo. The f-word is used sexually. Violence (Pause): References to violent acts. A dead body is seen. Language (Off): Very strong. Social Behavior (Pause): The boys are close friends, but they are by no means good role models. Some crude humor. Commercialism (Pause): Some commercial references. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Off): Underage smoking and drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod May 22, 2010

OH . MY . GOD . Pardon my French

There are many things I look forward to as a parent-but don't think I don't cherish my childhood, bc I do!. Like...okay, not many things. But one especially: After tending to and putting up with the young ones for a whole day, and they finally go to bed. I'll turn all the lights off...except that one, dim lamp by my bed. Turn it on, and read, or watch TV,or...I don't know. Just try to imagine how good the peace and quiet will be after the chaos of the previous 17 hours. I mean that just sounds heavenly! But one thing I never thought I'd be happy about was that one stage where your kids can't wait till they grow up and make their own rules. Stay up late, eat ice cream before 8:00 p.m., and watch whatever movies they want to. Ha, ha, ha...the innocence of youth. But when they DO hit that stage, depending on how mature they are and how old they are, I will LOVE to pop this DVD in and watch this all-time classic with them. Stand By Me is based on the short story "The Body" by Stephen King. "The Master of Horror." It has morals of cherishing your childhood, the value of friendship, and the adventures of growing up. But, unfortunately, it is also filled with a certain four letter word(f*ck) and a bunch more. It also shows a mutilated dead body and a gun is fired by youths(nobody is harmed). Other minor negative choices are shown to be negative or go without consequences. But all-in-all it is an amazingly deep(as I say "Morgan Freeman Deep") story about four troubled youths going on an adventure to do one last thing together...as friends...As a team. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Parent Written byNorodomSihanouk July 27, 2012

Great movie, reminded me of how I was when I was a pre-teen

Loads of bad language and characters who are supposedly 11 or 12 who smoke and on a few occasions make sexual references. Not a lot of violence , just a knife and gun are pulled and they show a dead body.
Parent Written byBrigitteandFamily December 10, 2011

Great story for those over 13 with a caution about language.

Heartwarming story of a group of boys learning about life as they journey to find the dead body. The premise is to find the body - but the real story is what happens to the boys along the way. Bad language is plentiful, but fits with the age of the boys and the time/place of the setting.
Educator Written bysimpleseth February 7, 2014

LEARNING

Magnificent!

This is "The Sandlot" for big kids. Watch it, if you get the chance, and you won't be disappointed.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byWingedBook June 28, 2011

to watch *with* your kids

My 10 year old son says, "It was very good, but some moments are too intense. There were exciting parts, too" I say: Some movies become "watchable" when you watch them together.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byganstaboy30 March 8, 2011

good for kids that like story and drama

stand by me has kids smoking a lot of times and foul language coming out of there mouth
Teen, 13 years old Written bycooldude1234 November 25, 2010

great movie but definetely not for young kids

Stand by me is my new favorite movie because it has a great cast, it teaches you lessons of life and it has great depictions of friendship. But unfortunately your kids under 13 and 14 will have to wait because there is loads of language but mild for an r rated movie, there's a gruesome shot of the dead kid ray brower and the smoking drinking of young kids. There is also mature themes like child abuse which might upset your young ones so just wait for your kids to turn 13 or 14 for this movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byam1408 August 18, 2010

A VERY GOOD MOVIE BUT NOT FOR YOUNGER KIDS

EVERYBODY SHOULD SEE THIS MOVIE!
Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2010

Heartwarming.

This movie was amazing! Me and my best friend watched it together yesterday and it was hillarious! It was also very touching, and has the message of supporting your friends. In terms of language, there was f words, s words, a words, and pretty much every word you can think of, but (agreeing with an entry below) if your kid's going to be shocked by that, the'd be better off not going outside for the rest of their childhood, because that's exactly what the're going to hear. overall, it was a wonderful movie of growing up, and getting through the tough times in their life together. ps. saw it with our 7 and 8 year old siblings, not to mature for them.
Adult Written byOLDSCHOOLFILM August 22, 2009

Look forward to watching it again when my son turns 13

This is a great film. It's a heavy, and not appropriate for the age group it depicts. A great film for kids thirteen and up
Adult Written bymoviemadness January 3, 2009

Slow, Not For Kids

Stand By Me is full of heavy emotional issues (a boy's father wishes that he'd died instead of his brother), and some violence (a group sets out to find a dead boy). There is also swearing and bad social behaviour. The plot is a little slow, but older viewers will appreciate this.
Adult Written byuslesrcool47 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byflare33 April 9, 2008

intresting movie for older teens and up

i dont think that ive seen any movie with more cursing then this besides pulp fiction and alpha dog
Adult Written byDb123456 July 13, 2015

You watch to watch really good

Only language nothing else at all