All member reviews for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Thrilling, philosophical installment of popular space saga.

Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 27, 2009

The Best!

This is the best STAR TREK film yet. Violence is the only issue, really, outside of some brief "d**n"s and "hells". People are shot with lasers, and many bodies are seen dead, with blood on them. Wounds range from a few cuts to one man who has half of his face bloodied up and darkened. There's a creepy scene where worm-type creatures crawl into mens' ears and take possession of their minds.
Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2009

When I was a toddler, my mom took me to see this movie thinking it was just about silly monsters cracking jokes. But for a whole year I would sleep with my parents because I was scared that a monster would be in my room. Now I'm 11 and of course I know there's no such thing. Just don't take younger kids.
Kid, 8 years old August 19, 2009

Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2010

Great Movie!

I saw this when I was 8, and I still love it. The only thing that was bad is the violence. If only PG-13 had been invented when this was made. In the part when the worm gets put in those guys' ears, my mom covered my eyes. Parents, cover your 7 - year old's eyes too. Otherwise, this was my first Star Trek movie, and I encouage you to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythefinalfrontier1701 November 4, 2010

COMPLETE DOCUMENTATION OF STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

Admiral Kirk returns to the Enterprise for a cadet training mission. Meanwhile, the Miranda class, USS Reliant (NCC-1864) searches for a suitable planet to test Project Genesis. They must make sure there is no life forms, because Genesis will destroy the planet and then reform it. They think the are orbiting Ceti Alpha VI, but don't know it has been destroyed. The shockwave, threw Ceti Alpha V out of orbit and transformed it into a "baraly class M" planet. Scanners report life signs and Checov and the Captain beam down. They are captured by Khan Noonien Singh and he inserts Ceti Eel into their ears which causes them to accept suggestions. Khan hijacks the Reliant and beams the crew to the planet. He then seeks his revenge on Kirk. Meanwhile the Enterprise is sent to investigate why an order has been given to turn over Genesis to Kirk. They encounter the Reliant, which doesn't respond to hails. Instead of raising the shields, like the book says, Kirk just goes to yellow alert. The Reliant raises it's shields and fires before the Enterprise can even begin raising it's. This causes massive damage to the Enterprise and takes out all but the battery. Khan than hails Kirk and tells him to turn over Genesis and himself to the Reliant. Instead, Kirk enters Reliant's prefix code and orders it to lower it's shields. This allows a some phasers to be fired. This destroys Reliant's warp drive and the photon control. Despite the damage, the Reliant escaped. Kirk continues to the science station to find everyone either dead, or gone. They also find Chekov and the captain of the reliant who was planted by Khan to get Genesis from Kirk. The crew finds the station's transporters still on. It appears that some of the station's personnel escaped to the inside of a nearby planet. Here, they discover the Genesis cave and a few science officers. This is when Chekov and the captain are told to kill the captain. Instead, the captain kill himself in order to save the Admiral, but Chekov collapses and the eel leaves his ear. The eel is destroyed by Kirk and Checkov recovers, but Khan finds the location of Genesis and beams it up. The Enterprise beams Kirk and the crew up and attempt to reach a nebula since they can't outrun or outgun the Reliant. The Enterprise enters the nebula with Reliant following, but Reliant couldn't get it's shields up or the screen working. Kirk stated the odds would be even if both ships didn't have shields or view of each other. After a grueling battle in the nebula, the Reliant is heavily damaged but the Enterprise's primary system goes offline. This means the Enterprise can't warp. Khan, instead of surrendering, activates Genesis and the Enterprise only has a few minutes to get away. Without warp, it will never escape in time. Captain Spock, leaves his post silently and goes down to engeneering to fix the ship. But, radiation is leaking and Mccoy won't allow Spock in. Spock nerve pinches Mccoy and downloads his memory to him. He then enters the room and is able to fix the core, and the Enterprise escapes just before Genesis begins. Spock "dies" from radiation poisoning and his casket is launched on the newly formed Genesis Planet and the movie ends here.
Adult Written bySpud April 9, 2008

More graphic then most PG-13 movies

Parents need to know that the second and third Star Trek movies are a lot more violent then Star Trek: The Motion Picture. In one scene, alien worms are put in the ears of two characters as a type of mind-control. Later, one of them vaporizes himself, and another bleeds a lot from his ear. Several bodies are found with blood on their faces. In another scene, Scotty carries a wounded engineer to the bridge. His face is burned and bleeding, and he dies after they take him to sickbay. After a space-battle, the main villain is seen with a bloody burn on most of his face. And the language is way too excessive for a PG movie.
Parent Written byCooldee April 21, 2010

For people aged 11 and up.

Do not take children under 11 years old to see Star Trek 2: The Warth of Khan. It is too scary for them. I love this movie!
Adult Written byjowoho December 26, 2008

One of my personal favorites

Looking back, I liked the first movie, but I LOVED this one! It does have a lot more action and is probably a good idea to fastforward through the worm-going-in-the-ear thing for younger viewers (need to get a Q-tip now, just thinking about it), but for values, this is the best movie. It talks a lot about friendship, loyalty and sacrifice. There's also a lot that can be discussed about family interactions (Kirk has a son we knew nothing about), and how science can be twisted for military purposes. There are numerous references to the works of William Shakespeare. This is one of the movies that I will always stop to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFamilyTrek August 31, 2013

Dear Parents...

It's a good movie, actually very good. I'd watch it again but this film I think is more violent than Into Darkness. My little brother couldn't stand the bloodsuckers and my little brother watches movies like Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and Batman all the time. 11 years and up.
Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2012

STAR TREK 2

A lot better than the 1st
Kid, 10 years old November 7, 2012

COOL!!

REALLY GOOD! But if your sensitive about bad words, then take precaution if your child is going to see this awesome movie.
Parent Written bystudio43 July 30, 2012

Not a movie for children - the age rating for this is not correct.

As a family we watched the first half an hour of this movie. There was a very disturbing scene of torture and both my 10 and 11 year old boys were very upset. This is not a movie for children! I love this website and usually find the recommended age to be very accurate, but this one was way off.
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2013

More Violent than I expected

Thrilling, Adventurous movie that may scare ten year olds. In one scene, a type of space bug crawls into one characters ear and the others head. Lots of explosions, where the show characters burned afterword. Minor cuss words said frequently throughout the movie. But, you shouldn't worry about language in this movie because I think violence and scariness is a bigger problem.
Adult Written bytammo_leif May 19, 2013

Classic

This is the best of the original 6 Star Trek movies. As with most Trek films, look out for blowing up ships, people dying in explosions or radiation accidents. Two characters are tortured, there is a massacre showing dead bodies hanging upside down with blood dripping from them. Cussing from time to time.
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

good

i loved the movie, but my fav character died
Adult Written bysandra duca December 9, 2014

Love Khan, but wait til your child is older

Have loved this movie ever since it was released! Great characters and story, but there are some VERY violent scenes (spoiler alert). If you're not a trekkie, you might not know about the "ear scene" in which live, creepy crawlies forcibly squirm into two screaming men's ears. Later, Khan is said to have "tortured those poor people" to death, and Kirk and Co. walk into the science station only to find HANGING, BLEEDING dead bodies of murdered, tortured scientists. These 2-3 scenes are very easy to skip over, IF you watch with your kids and know it's coming. Under those conditions, I have let my 9 year old enjoy this otherwise awesome film. As a trekkie, though, I made sure he'd seen the prequel Star Trek episode, Space Seed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byover-analyze August 5, 2013

Disturbing Thoughts & Images

Star Trek: Wrath of Khan is a space lover's delight. Filled with action this movie also has disturbing images of a weird creature, similar to a leech, that crawls into people's ears, and makes them follow the command of Khan, and drives them insane. You see images of people being tortured by this sensation in the movie. In addition, there are scenes of blood and injuries that may be disturbing to some. Also, it says the D word, and has sad parts, when Spock sacrifices himself so the others can escape.