All parent member reviews for Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010
Not only the movie is bad, it is also woefully inappropriately for kids. Why is it that so many parents think otherwise, and expose their children to such violence and mature subjects since they are 4 or 5? It amazes me. This movie - as well as any other of the six made under the Star Wars name - should not be given to toddlers or tweens, no matter how much pressure they experience from peers.
Parent Written bymoviemomma911 September 25, 2010

Great movie

Even with a lot of violence, it is very obviously just fantasy with not many real life references. It's easy to explain to my child the difference between real and fantasy with this movie. It also opens up the imagination.
Parent Written by900621 February 17, 2012

Bloodless violence, but still very kid friendly with a good ending.

As a long time Star Wars fan, Phantom Menace happens to be one of my favorite of the prequels, and the 3D and digitial reproduction made it look very real on the big screen. At first I didn't like Jar Jar, now I do. I even laughed at his antics this time around. The only part I can't stand is Shmi's (actress's) terrible acting when Anakin leaves Tatooine. "What does your heart tell you?" I'll take Jar Jar any day over her acting any day. Thing is I grew up on Star Wars. I saw A New Hope when I was 5, it did give me a few nightmares (it played in the theater for a whole YEAR) but I loved it. I couldn't get enough of Luke, Leia, and Han. SW: PM ep1 in 3D just finally "felt" like Star Wars for a change. Yeah, there's violence, but it's for the sake of the plot line, a very large plot line. And as a kid, adult, and now a father. Violence to me, isn't an issue (which is pretty much bloodless in this movie anywa), it's use of language and sexual images in my mind, that's the most harmful. My kids watch ORIGINAL Tom & Jerry, and the original Bugs and Daffy cartoon, and Transformers (80's cartoon) and the new (cough,crap) like Cailou, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc. They love it. It's just fun. They don't try to recreate it. And they are learning TV is not real. I was wanting to take my girl to see this in theater, but we had a ballet conflict and she couldn't go. Glad I could see it in the theater again, and this time with a positive outlook instead of a negative attitude (I did NOT like it when I saw it back in 1999 - it's really grown on me). Read the novels...Palpatine's Sith master was alive during the time, and a major turning point happened in the Force during Obi Wan and Darth Maul's fight. Notice how Palpatine didn't even take any notice of Anakin until the very last scene... by name, no less. The characters even show disgust at Jar Jar's rudeness, which also be a learning point for younger kids. It is a good movie, and the prequels were made with kids in mind, so much as a profit from the toys... but still. Episode I has a spot in my heart in the whole saga now. Can't wait for the next one in 3D.
Parent Written byPlague March 2, 2010

Star Wars: Episode l: The Phantom Menace

Kids will love it. Cool graphics, with an epic, but kind plot.
Parent Written byrolandobabel June 14, 2013

Great movie, some violence

Great movie to watch with kids. However there is some violence as one of the main characters dies and a foe gets sliced in half.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bykcgunesq December 19, 2011

A solid member of the best movie franchise ever.

Certainly not the best of franchise, but compared to movies generally, it shines. Our four year old can be a bit sensitive, but nothing in any the six movies bothered him in the least, and they are now among his favorites. He dressed as an x-wing fighter pilot for Halloween. He refused to be Darth Vader or any of the "bad guys". The entire series will long continue as features on our weekly "movie-pizza" night (that doesn't always involve pizza, but does include a movie). To me, this is a perfect specimen of "PG" movies. As long as parents are on hand to answer questions and explain the issues raised (good vs evil, etc), it is fine for the whole family.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008
Adult Written byScotty795 September 9, 2014

Good but nothing like the Originals

First off, this movie is not violent so anyone who says it is is probably some ultra conservative who won't let their kids eat sugar and have a lock on their tvs for anything rated higher than G. Form some common sense people! Anyway, this movie is simple good, nothing great or epic like the original 3 but still good. The faster light saber fighting style is truly spectacular, the podrace was awesome and the end space battle was pretty cool too. Kids will love all of these scenes. Qui-Gon Jinn is also a great character who brings a lot to the movie. The cons are Jar Jar Binks which is a horrible character and kinda of a weak plot which lacks depth and that epic feeling that we felt during the original trilogy. Overall, this is a good average film.
Adult Written byDUDES!!! October 2, 2011

Not the best of them,

I REALLY BELIVED IT COULD BE BETTER!!!
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

Weak

This is easily the weakest star wars film its an okay movie but dissapointing for the fans the only thing you can get out of this movie is the amazing visual effects and the duel with darth maul
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written bylauradavis723@m... January 25, 2016

The weakest George Lucas film

Star wars the Phantom Menace has no blood so it's not gory or violent. I'm 8 yeas old . Don't Bother watching this movie unless you're making fun of it or you want to watch all of the Star wars movies. Also don't make this be your first star wars movie.
Adult Written bykipwalker44 January 21, 2016
Parent Written byTheDarkKnightFalls May 9, 2015

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

This is an amazing film and is my favourite in the Star Wars - Prequel Trilogy. The plot focuses on Anakin Skywalker, a nine year-old boy who dreams of becoming a Jedi Knight. SPOLER ALERT! - Anakin Skywalker is the boy who will become Darth Vader in Star Wars: Episode III - The Revenge Of The Sith. A great film for kids 8 and up. Enjoy the film! My Classification: PG - Mild Violence
Adult Written byLowe's man April 27, 2015

a movie for all, especially true Star Wars fans

This movie might be confusing to kids who don't yet understand the concept of a prequel. But kids who do understand that concept will enjoy this movie, especially if they're true Star Wars fans. They'll get to see the histories of the Jedis and the Dark Side. They will also see that the "leaders" (?) of the Dark Side were somehow "given" Darth as part of their names. (I haven't seen this movie in a long time, so pardon me if my memory of some of the details is fuzzy.) They (and all viewers) will learn the origins of C3PO and R2D2. The race is exciting too. Children who are at least 7 should see it.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written bynuenjins April 12, 2015

Star power saves the unoriginal contrivancies that go against the grain of what made Star Wars iconic.

The deliverance of Liam Neeson and Ewan all but save what is a hackneyed romp through a CG world of some otherwise laughable charecters and concepts. You will have your moments but unlike the free world of boundless ideas that the original flourished in you have a forced and preconceived idea of forcing the script to fit the plot points of the original, many of which are done unconvincingly and poorly. IE, the original references Obi Wan being trained by Yoda but it is hardly the case with the new storyline. These details and 'combover' ideas incrementally make this movies better moments seem very forced and implausable and new concepts such as 'metichlorines' falls flat with many eye rolling moments that plague the better parts of the movie. The movie in and of itself isn't terrible but it doesn't have the feel of originality or free flowing interest that made Star Wars great. You will have iconic battles and charecters introduced but aside from a few main charecters you will definitely come away with a sense of being pandered to along with witnessing some very poor casting and charecter models, some of which are flat out laughably 'ethinic' in their delivery (watch and guess who is oriental and Italian in their inspiration for instance). This movie gave us Jar Jar Binks for cryin out loud. That in and of itself explains the near desperate tones the film hits at times. George should have handed this one off after the original trilogy but we all still watched it anyway. Heck, it is Star Wars after all.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 4, 2015

Disappointing and very dull prequel will anger Star Wars fans, but will please kids!

Though it does have some cool lightsaber battles, that does not make up for the dullness of this movie, plus this movie is just....BORING! and Jar Jar Binks, he is now one of the most annoying movie characters in movie history! Even worse than the Ewoks
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 22, 2014

Not so good.

This movie in no way compares to the other 6 films. It is slow paced, poor acting, although the effects are amazing, and some scenes are very exciting.
Parent of a 13 and 18+ year old Written bySuper bryan November 2, 2014

Really good Star Wars prequel

I think this movie is one of the best Star Wars. In the series and has great emotions. Obi wan trains anakin. Darth maul kills qui gon and he is cremated
Parent Written byTeachermom22 February 11, 2012