All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Adult Written byFroHead May 9, 2010

One word describes this movie: Awesome

It is awesome. If you haven't seen it, see it soon! OK, so I am a bit of a Star Wars geek, have been since I was 10 or so. But it is awesome. As for good messages and role models... Obi Wan is a good teacher; Luke at first is a little whiny, but matures; Han at first seems selfish but does the right thing in the end; Leia is a princess but doesn't use that as an excuse to do nothing; heck, even R2 shows resilience and loyalty to a good cause. The main good message is that we should fight for what is right no matter how hopeless it seems. Good will triumph in the end.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written bySmolin June 16, 2009

Great for Young Kids

I recently watched this with my 5-year-old son. He's really into the Star Wars franchise, and this movie made a huge impression on me when I saw it at age 7, so I was anxious for him to see it. He probably would have gotten a bit more out of it had he been older, but he did really enjoy it. He wasn't scared by anything in it nor freaked out by the cinematic violence, but the plot nuances might have been a bit over his head. I don't believe that the violence in this movie is worth worrying about for the suggested age group, since it is pretty abstract (e.g. while people do get shot & killed, it's never graphic or distressing.) All in all, a great movie that stimulates the young imagination to no end.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bysarahphale June 12, 2010

Not about how good a movie, its about when its appropriate

In response to Sith Lord, this isn't a question of how awesome Star Wars is, it is a question of child development and when the film is appropriate. Way too much violence for a young child to understand....a wonderful movie for older children.Can't believe someone would show this to a 3 or 4 year old. Seems irresponsible to me...I loved it so lets have you watch it before you're ready. And just because a child doesn't get aspects of a movie doesn't make it OK to show it to them....it means they aren't ready to watch it YET.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2010

classic, but what they didn't put on there, was that Han says h-ll and da-n one or two times.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

A long time ago a gem of a movie named Star Wars came along

Despite Star Wars being classed as a kids' movie it does have some blood and a plenty of violence. While Obi-Wan and Luke may be good role models, Han Solo on the otherhand is only interested in money. Star Wars is a fantastic adventure ride for both youth and their elders.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTrebuchet June 28, 2010

Fun to watch with your kids

This movie is probably fine for most 5-year-olds, though we sent our daughter out of the room and fast forwarded through the part where Luke returns to find his aunt and uncle murdered and their farm burned. My daughter loved it at age 5, as well as episodes V and VI (though she had a few criticisms of those, mostly character flaws she didn't like). I'm surprised at the reviews that say other little kids found it boring or confusing, but that's why you have to know your kids. I did have to explain what a smuggler was, and a bounty hunter, but the rest made sense to her. As long as you watch with them, and are ready to turn it off if it isn't well received, I see no problem with giving this movie a try with a 5-year-old.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

The start of an amazing saga.

George Lucas' first of the genius Star Wars saga. I'd say that with a bit of violence, and a character dies, but comes back through the force. Iffy for 5+.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2010

Amazing for kids 9+

I loved this! My sister and I watched it and love it. We skipped over some of the more gruesome parts: Darth Vader choking a man, the burnt bodies, and the alien losing a limb when he tries to hurt Luke Skywalker. I think this is fine for kids nine and up as the neat special effects aren't so new nowadays, they'll be used to seeing monsters blown up. I did find the Galactic Empire blowing up an INHABITED planet a little creepy, but as all you see is a big bang and some big smoke clouds it isn't too bad. Both boys and girls should like this as Princess Leia is a really strong female character.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDerezzination June 7, 2011

It was rated a U for a reason

I watched this at age 4 and i found it the coolest thing ever. I was never really bothered about the violence and i see characters such as luke to be a good role model for kids as he has a blue lightsaber, not a red one.
Adult Written byMi3 February 6, 2011

Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2011

Ultimate Classic

While I think that this movie is a timeless masterpiece it does have an iffy scene in it. Obi Wan slices somebody's arm off and blood is all over the floor.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

One of the best movies ever made

An amazing movie, I grew up on these movies. This, along with Empire and Jedi are the GOOD Star Wars movies. The new ones aren't in the same league. Classic, must see. In fact, if you aren't letting your kids watch this, you're a bad parent. Should be required viewing for all people everywhere.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

Great for young kids if they can put up with the first hour

This is a good movie. Great for younger kids if they can put up with the beginning which is pretty boring. There are some violent parts ( but most young kids will probably be OK with them). If your child is sensitive I suggest that they skip out on the bar scene and the first scene. I your kid has a low attention span you might want to just play the movie when they're in the house and they will eventually become interested in it.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2010

One Of My Favorite Star Wars Episodes

It is one of my favorite Star Wars episodes. It is the first episode to have human vs human. It has blood when Ben Kenobi cuts off an alien's arm, but can be identified as ketchup. There are many gun fights and space fights. Also, Han Solo says d--n and h--l.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byH.E.Pennypacker March 29, 2011
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byCountryMom27 June 12, 2010

Compared to most movies today, Star Wars is very mild. There are a few scenes that I remembered as scary (I saw it in the theaters when originally released in 1977 as a 6 year old). But watching it with our kids (4 & 6), they weren't frightened of Darth Vadar as I was. I think with an adult watching with the kids, the movies (IV-VI) are fine for children aged 5 and up (or very mature 4). The archtypes are clearly good or evil, which little ones love. The music is stirring, the storytelling wonderfully complex.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

The first (and probably the best) Star Wars film.

My rating: PG for some sci-fi violence and language.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byardrummo November 11, 2010

Great for all, only sci-fi violence