All parent member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 22, 2014

good.

I love this movie, but there is one scene in a cantina, which may scare younger viewers.
Parent of a 2, 6, 8, and 8 year old Written byFowlerFan September 3, 2014

Still a classic

On the whole, I think this movie is fine for kids 7-8. The language is okay, no worse than, say, Shrek. There were only two scenes that I thought were a little iffy ... in the bar where the one patron's arm got cut off. The other was when Luke's Aunt/Uncle were killed. In the scene showing their house, you could see their burnt bodies in the foreground. Not sure if every kid will pick up on that, but they were definitely there.
Adult Written byFilm Fan May 5, 2014

True Essential Filmmaking! Worthy for Everyone Who Considers Themselves a Fan of Cinema!

If you ask me what is single-handedly the greatest movie ever made, then I answer with Star Wars. Newcomers, don't be fooled by Episode 4. This is the first Star Wars film made, and is the original classic. Directed by George Lucas, the film tells the ultimate adventure story, about an ordinary farm boy who leads a rebellion to destroy the Evil Galactic Empire, and no matter how many times you watch it, that same feeling of awe always comes out. The story is epic, Lucas' passion for creating his universe works brilliantly, and some of the most famous movie characters of all-time (Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, etc.) are featured in this excellent movie. But is it appropriate for young children? CONTENT: Violence- Mostly loud, gun shots at the Stormtroopers and some epic explosions. Not as elaborate or super intense as modern violence. With that said, there's still scenes that could scare some kids, such as some emotional death scenes. Sex- none, just a small "good-luck" kiss Language- Han Solo says a couple of naughty words, but it can go over younger kids heads (not like it's the f-word or anything like that). FINAL RESULT- Good for anyone over the age of 5, but parental supervision is recommended for anyone younger than 8. It's the best one to start out with for newcomers, not Episode 1, as things such as The Force and Jedi Knights are better explained in this outing. It also makes a good introduction to the sci-fi genre. With great storytelling, great characters, and great action, Star Wars gets my highest recommendation.
Parent Written byConcernedCatholicMom April 12, 2014

IGN

3/5: A masterpiece + Masterpiece +Amazing +We Like It -IGN
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySternAndFair February 24, 2014

The Movie Who May Be of Great for The Child But To the Adult is A Tiring Sort

A space shuttle as it travels, a good looking man by the name of Hand, the young Sky Walk. This film, though it is as remains poor for the grown-ups in your heart, shall be known as the most of popular scientific studies stories and legends. The ground breaks and the stunning realism is to die for, but the sexy Princess makes me wonder, "Should my child not see?" It is not unlikely. The truth is, the wonder makers of the film told the viewer to question, "Is science the truth? Laser swords? A flying machine?" And to wonder, "Is the future?" Too scary and always much too violent to allow for the children to view today.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNK17 February 9, 2013

astonishing movie

never gets old, i think there are great role models in this movie, there is alot of sci-fi violence SW is notorious for that, and the have more cussing than in the others (d--n and h--l were very regular conversation back then) Han is kindof a sexual joke offender but nothing too far, anyway the sequels i think are way better than the prequels, in 2015 I will still watch VII, I just do not expect it to be as good as this...
Adult Written bybaba 1 May 13, 2012

A New Hope

It's okay. It's not my favourite star wars movie but Luke learns to keep on trying, look down deep into himself and never giveup.
Parent Written by@@@ December 15, 2011

Better than ALL modern action films. ALL of them.

I don't think that I have seen, or ever will see again, an action movie of this quality. These days, the genre is more aptly named the "boredom" genre. Back in the 70's, films had real plots, not just relentless action sequences.
Adult Written byDUDES!!! October 2, 2011

The best of them all!!

BUT!!! I heard a bad word :( it was "hell!"
Adult Written byMi3 February 6, 2011
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byardrummo November 11, 2010

Great for all, only sci-fi violence

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee July 30, 2010

Parent Written byPlague March 2, 2010

Star Wars: Episode lV: A New Hope

A fantastic first! Familys will grow onto these movies, I guarantee it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byquietones1980 September 3, 2009

my kid loves any thing to do with star wars. i think its a good show for him too watch, would rather he watched this than some of the shows more geared to his age such as i carly,
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 18, 2009
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... November 11, 2008

one of the best movies of all time

acting- 4.5/5 art direction/set direction- 5/5 editing- 5/5 musical score- 5/5 sound- 5/5 visual effects- 5/5 directing- 5/5 screenplay- 5/5 one of the greatest films of all time, everything in this film is perfect or very close to it. I am still very puzzled that CSM gave it a 4/5. the finale still gives me goosebumps years after i originally saw it, i cant begin to describe how much i love this movie
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

One of the best

Adult Written bybaleighsdad April 9, 2008

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Before Harry Potter....

I take small issue with the content summary that claims all main characters are white males. The Princess is a key figure who my daughter enjoyed rooting for, and she grows in importance as the series continues (a leader in Empire Strikes Back, a rebel ground fighter in Jedi). And Billy Dee Williams rivals Harrison Ford as an important romantic scoundrel who proves his heroic worth under fire. Far superior to Episodes 1 and 2.