All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2010

classic, but what they didn't put on there, was that Han says h-ll and da-n one or two times.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

A long time ago a gem of a movie named Star Wars came along

Despite Star Wars being classed as a kids' movie it does have some blood and a plenty of violence. While Obi-Wan and Luke may be good role models, Han Solo on the otherhand is only interested in money. Star Wars is a fantastic adventure ride for both youth and their elders.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

The start of an amazing saga.

George Lucas' first of the genius Star Wars saga. I'd say that with a bit of violence, and a character dies, but comes back through the force. Iffy for 5+.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2010

Amazing for kids 9+

I loved this! My sister and I watched it and love it. We skipped over some of the more gruesome parts: Darth Vader choking a man, the burnt bodies, and the alien losing a limb when he tries to hurt Luke Skywalker. I think this is fine for kids nine and up as the neat special effects aren't so new nowadays, they'll be used to seeing monsters blown up. I did find the Galactic Empire blowing up an INHABITED planet a little creepy, but as all you see is a big bang and some big smoke clouds it isn't too bad. Both boys and girls should like this as Princess Leia is a really strong female character.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDerezzination June 7, 2011

It was rated a U for a reason

I watched this at age 4 and i found it the coolest thing ever. I was never really bothered about the violence and i see characters such as luke to be a good role model for kids as he has a blue lightsaber, not a red one.
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2011

Ultimate Classic

While I think that this movie is a timeless masterpiece it does have an iffy scene in it. Obi Wan slices somebody's arm off and blood is all over the floor.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

One of the best movies ever made

An amazing movie, I grew up on these movies. This, along with Empire and Jedi are the GOOD Star Wars movies. The new ones aren't in the same league. Classic, must see. In fact, if you aren't letting your kids watch this, you're a bad parent. Should be required viewing for all people everywhere.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

Great for young kids if they can put up with the first hour

This is a good movie. Great for younger kids if they can put up with the beginning which is pretty boring. There are some violent parts ( but most young kids will probably be OK with them). If your child is sensitive I suggest that they skip out on the bar scene and the first scene. I your kid has a low attention span you might want to just play the movie when they're in the house and they will eventually become interested in it.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2010

One Of My Favorite Star Wars Episodes

It is one of my favorite Star Wars episodes. It is the first episode to have human vs human. It has blood when Ben Kenobi cuts off an alien's arm, but can be identified as ketchup. There are many gun fights and space fights. Also, Han Solo says d--n and h--l.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

The first (and probably the best) Star Wars film.

My rating: PG for some sci-fi violence and language.

Kid, 8 years old December 3, 2009

Star Wars - a Great Movie! And start of a great series!

I loved it. Kind of sad though. It is also violent. Guns, lightsabers, getting captured, though violent, as strange planets and creatures pop up, it's a classic! If your kids can not get through Disney's The Wild, (what I mean is if your child thinks The Wild is too scary) then your child is not ready for Star Wars. THE STORY: It's about 2 droids who venture off, and are found, and sold on Tantoonie. A couple by the last name of Lars buys the droids. Then, one of the droids runs away. Lars' adopted son, Luke Skywalker, (age 20) goes to find it with the other droid. Then, he meets Obi-Wan Kenobi. He tells him about the force. Meanwhile,the bad guys are trying to capture the 2 droids. Will Luke protect the droids? Will Luke escape Tantoonie? Anything can happen. Watch the movie, and find out what happens to Luke. TIPS: If your goal is to watch every Star Wars Movie, watch A New Hope first, then The Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi, then The Phantom Menace, then Attack of the Clones, then Revenge of the Sith. I watched it in that order, and enjoyed the Star Wars Collection. Also, Revenge of the Sith is more violent then the other 5. I enjoyed it, even though it was really violent! DON'T WORRY IF: I sat down to watch A New Hope with my dad at 6, and started crying after Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru die. If your child cries, or feels for the characters, that's okay! That means he understands the character's feelings.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2009

Perfect. Simply a perfect movie. Not much else I can say, except to also aknowledge how amazing the soundtrack is. Shame really, how later on they ruin this great promise of a series.
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2012

Classic Good vs. Evil Plot

I watched this movie when I was 9 years old, and I was fine with it. It has the positive message of good against evil, loyalty, and perseverance. Princess Leia, Obi Wan, Luke, and even Han Solo are all positive role models, as Han and Luke have character arcs through the movie. There is some violence throughout, but nothing too gory. No sexiness other than a kiss on the cheek. There is some mild swearing, and consumerism is not an issue in the movie, but there are a number of toys, games etc. spun off. There is one scene in a bar. All in all, it pretty much deserves the pg rating. It depends on how mature your child (ren) are, and what you are willing to expose them to.
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2010

Good movie

Good Sci-fi movie. It had action.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 7, 2010

I can see how its become so classic

Friends have been nagging on me that I'm not a movie buff since I haven't seen the original Star Wars film. Well, what now, haters?!? I saw it, and I wasn't bored for a sec, as someone pointed out "they are a little cheesy, but it was over 30 years ago!) I really don't need to see anything more since everyone knows so much about the 2 trilogies of Star Wars, and am eager to watch the next 2 movies in the (original) trilogy. If I'm super-impressed, I'll watch the next 3.
Kid, 10 years old December 17, 2010

Preschool!

I saw this movie in PRE-SCHOOL thinking it was "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas" (That's What It Said On The Case!) And loved it. My Dad came home, "Hey Tay, Watcha Watching?" "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas!" ( In the backround, "Bew! Bew! Bew! (Guns.). ) I loved it and I still remember it. A great movie.
Kid, 6 years old June 25, 2010