All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2010

classic, but what they didn't put on there, was that Han says h-ll and da-n one or two times.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2010

Amazing for kids 9+

I loved this! My sister and I watched it and love it. We skipped over some of the more gruesome parts: Darth Vader choking a man, the burnt bodies, and the alien losing a limb when he tries to hurt Luke Skywalker. I think this is fine for kids nine and up as the neat special effects aren't so new nowadays, they'll be used to seeing monsters blown up. I did find the Galactic Empire blowing up an INHABITED planet a little creepy, but as all you see is a big bang and some big smoke clouds it isn't too bad. Both boys and girls should like this as Princess Leia is a really strong female character.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

One of the best movies ever made

An amazing movie, I grew up on these movies. This, along with Empire and Jedi are the GOOD Star Wars movies. The new ones aren't in the same league. Classic, must see. In fact, if you aren't letting your kids watch this, you're a bad parent. Should be required viewing for all people everywhere.
Kid, 6 years old June 25, 2010

star wars 4

Teen, 16 years old Written byDerezzination June 7, 2011

It was rated a U for a reason

I watched this at age 4 and i found it the coolest thing ever. I was never really bothered about the violence and i see characters such as luke to be a good role model for kids as he has a blue lightsaber, not a red one.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter May 2, 2015

The common sense media summarizers are too picky

Guys and gals this movie is amazing. The minor cusses are not going to convert your child into a laid back bad*ss smuggler like Han Solo. It will however convert him or her into a Star Wars lovin' nerd
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 April 20, 2015

A cinematic masterpiece.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time. Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were excellent in their roles.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2015

Appropriately Similar to Episode II

The only reasons I'm rating this episode 9+ is because of the language and peril. This is one of the best movies ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStarWarsWhovian March 4, 2015

Fantastic Movie

This movie is really good. Mild cursing, violence is mild and the only physical contact is kissing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 February 24, 2015

Classic Star Wars

This is the oldest movie in the Star Wars saga, this is an epic story of action and romance. This isn't as political as the prequels. There is one death in the film but no blood. This isn't a scary movie, However Darth Vader may frighten "preschool aged" kids. Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are good role models. This is a very classic movie, and a extremely good one.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams February 15, 2015

Perfect Star Wars movie.

This was one of the best Star Wars movies ever. Everything was great from the action to the graphics. If you're a Star Wars fan like me, I highly recommend Star wars Episode IV: The New Hope.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

the greatest science fiction film ever made.

I saw this when I was about 6 I think and I became a huge star wars fan. I'm still a star wars fan till this day and I can't wait for the force awakens. This movie is a little violent though and I think the only cuss word in it was one use of hell by han. But other than that this film is great for 6+ just maybe wait till their older to watch the sequels because they are a bit darker especially the empire strikes back.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 6, 2014

So-so sequel may be too original for kids

My rating:PG for violence and action
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 12, 2014

An epic beginning of a new trilogy.

An amazing start of a five-star saga, but a little scary, specifically at times when Darth Vader uses the Force on the necks of his own generals. Also, the time when Han Solo willingly went on a mission as a mercenary could also confuse children about whether this famed hero goes good or evil in the world.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPrequelHater878 September 11, 2014

A classic

This is a classic movie, very fun and imaginative. It is a great time to watch this movie and it is a must see
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2014

Great B movie type fun (even though this is not a B movie)

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan July 15, 2014

Star Wars: Episode IV - movie review

I'm going to refer to this film as "Star Wars" and not "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" because that is how it was originally called when it came out in 1977. "Star Wars" is the movie that changed cinema forever. When it first came out, people had never seen this kind of science fiction. This movie is pure amazing. The plot wasn't overthought and boring, it was simple and interesting. Sometimes, simple is bad, but in this case it was good. The action was sensational for the time. In 1977, no one had seen this kind of action before and people were amazed by it. Another thing I really liked was the villain Darth Vader. He is menacing. Darth Vader was a different type of villain. His overall structure was pure evil and frightening. Other characters like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca "the walking carpet" are all very likeable. We see throughtout the movie how Luke struggles to use the force and control it. We see more of that in "The Empire Strikes Back". In addition to the characters, action, and story the dialogue is fantastic. I didn't think the script was campy or too serious, it was just right. From the beginning to the end, I was totally invested in "Star Wars". There is nothing bad about it and to this day, it is one of the best films in the history of cinema. In my opinion, the "Star Wars" franchise is complemented with "The Empire Strikes Back".