All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston May 11, 2013

Cool.

This was a great Star wars film. The graphics and action were so amazing. I recommend this film to any Star Wars fan.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer May 5, 2013

The Film That Launched a Thousand Starships

A New Hope is where it all began. It's absence was the dam holding back untold trillions of tons of merchandise, novels, films and TV shows. If your kid likes fantasy, sci-fi, or both, then show them this film. The plot is simple: The Galactic Empire has an evil space station capable of blowing entire planets apart, which the Rebels must destroy. Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, and Chewbacca go on a quest to destroy it and rescue Princess Leia, accompanied by the two lovable, bickering droids, C-3PO and R2-D2. Violence is definitely there: Blasterfights break out frequently in the film, with a large one in the beginning resulting in several Rebel soldiers dying (though no blood is shown). There is a fight with Lightsabers (laser swords) towards the end, with a main character dying. An alien is dismembered in the now-famous Mos Eisley Cantina, with the one example of blood in Star Wars history being shown. The Death Star blows up an Earth-like planet, and there is a large space dogfight at the end of the film, resulting in an Imperial space station exploding. Very mild language, mostly the occasional d--- and h--- (foul language is very rare in Star Wars as a whole, in fact). Leia briefly kisses Luke, but nothing more. One scene takes place in a cantina, where patrons drink unidentifiable beverages. Some aliens may be disturbing to younger viewers. An important thing to note: Star Wars is HUGE! Be wary if your children see this, for they'll clamor to see the other five films, as well as the three coming out in a few years. They'll want the action figures, the video games, maybe an account with Star Wars: The Old Republic (currently free for the basics only with optional microtransactions, but they may not be ready for it. Read Commonsense's review for it, I've posted one as well) and Clone Wars Adventures (Again, free, but with microtransactions. Not too inappropriate). That's about it. May the Force be with you!
Kid, 11 years old April 30, 2013

awesome movie!

I thought this was a great movie, but with a bit of violence. my younger brother loved it! it might be a littlse scary for kids under 7.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperSonicSteve896 April 28, 2013

Really good graphics.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I think this was another awesome accomplishment for the franshise. This film had lots of mind-blowing graphics and everything you want in a movie. Get the DVD, you'll thank me for it.
Kid, 9 years old April 1, 2013

Good, but not the best

The film is ok but not as good as the other Star Wars films. It is quite boring, but the fights are good.
Teen, 15 years old Written by224luke March 29, 2013

Awesome

I think this is a great movie I didn't mean to press sex, but it is volient.
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2013

One of the Most Groundbreaking Sci Fi Movies of All Time

This is one of the most groundbreaking sci fi movies ever. It caused a sensation when it came out. There's some violence, and that's the only thing that's an issue. There's also some scenes that might be scary for little kids. There's also good messages and role models.
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2013

Good for All Ages

Good movie - the characters are strong and caring, it's not too violent, and nothing more than a kiss is seen. Anyone should be able to watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviewannabe December 22, 2012

A Child-Friendly Thriller

This film turned on my sense of thrills. Luke Skywalker REALLY knocked it out of the park when he blew up the Death Star!! I think this movie should teach kids a little bit about warfare if they have military interests in their future.
Kid, 10 years old October 4, 2012

So-so movie; alert of a bloodily violent scene and consumerism; I might re-consider.

I have all of the 6 movies on DVD, and I have only seen this one completely. I only saw half of The Phantom Menace, when I found out I then needed English subtitles (if available) to understand the movie. This was so-so. I should watch it again, and, reconsider. It was about Luke Skywalker, who had two robots, R2D2, and, C3P0, who lead him to this smuggler Han Solo (played by a cool, spitting image of Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford). The adventure starts from there. Now, violence. The violence is not suitable for children under 11, due to a creature's arm, all severed off, with it's bone stump and everything. Lots, and, lots, and, lots, of, blood, in that scene. Very gruesome. Mostly, OK, for over 9s. Off for 8s and under. Consumerism, is: Lunchboxes. Novelisations. Probably ?Coca-Cola?. 20th Century Fox., Lucasfilm LTD., THX., Dolby Digital., Videogames. The LEGO Treatment. The Soundtracks. Some TV Specials. Numerous, countless, animated TV series by animated TV series. More TV series. A spin-off "Clone Wars" movie. The MPAA. A spin-off "Clone Wars" TV series, currently, very popular. So-so movie overall. MoviesAreAwesome.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2012

One of The Greatest Sci-Fi Films Ever Made. Changed Movie-Making Forever!

Star Wars is the biggest science fiction/fantasy franchise in history, and in my opinion, it certainly deserves it. With the insane special effects, iconic characters, and ability to reach and be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of race, age, or religion, these films have inspired countless kids (Including me!) to want to work in the film business. All of these films are amazing, (Minus Phantom Menace, which was good, not great.) and Episode lV: A New Hope is no exception. The characters are simple but not one-dimensional, and the action is fun and engaging. And though this film is not as violent as many modern action films, there is some stuff to watch out for when viewing it with younger children. In the cantina scene, an alien starts a fight, and gets his arm cut off with a lightsaber. You then see the arm on the ground with some blood. Besides that scene, the only violence is pretty cartoony and there's no blood to speak of. Besides that and some minor curse words like h-ll and d-mn, this is the perfect film to watch with young sci-fi/action fans.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAustinandally12 July 6, 2012

The BEST MOVIE I EVER SAW!!!

This is an adventurios Movie iam a Star Wars Freak
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

Best Science Fiction Adventure

The best Science Fiction fairytale of all time. Appriopriate for young kids.
Kid, 9 years old June 16, 2012

STAR WARS 4

first installment of sci-fi fad left me obsessed with Star Wars for 3 years.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 8, 2012

Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope Review

Teen, 15 years old Written byAdam K May 28, 2012

Excellent Classic

Kids everywhere love it. It is a milestone of American cinema.
Kid, 11 years old May 7, 2012

Awesome!

This movie is terrific! Plenty of action, good story, and great acting. Spectacular!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow April 25, 2012

An amazing and inspirational sci-fi adventure

This is a fantastic sci-fi classic that served as the pinnacle of sci-fi films. It is my favorite film in the whole Star Wars trilogy, and I especially loved it because of the fantastic art direction seen while the gang was infiltrating the Death Star. It has some violence and language, but young kids and parents will love it nonetheless. It might have some questions that aren't answered until the second film, but it is still thrilling, inspirational and will stay with you for all eternity.
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2012

Classic Good vs. Evil Plot

I watched this movie when I was 9 years old, and I was fine with it. It has the positive message of good against evil, loyalty, and perseverance. Princess Leia, Obi Wan, Luke, and even Han Solo are all positive role models, as Han and Luke have character arcs through the movie. There is some violence throughout, but nothing too gory. No sexiness other than a kiss on the cheek. There is some mild swearing, and consumerism is not an issue in the movie, but there are a number of toys, games etc. spun off. There is one scene in a bar. All in all, it pretty much deserves the pg rating. It depends on how mature your child (ren) are, and what you are willing to expose them to.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar March 17, 2012

The first and the best

One of my favorite movies. Good for all ages and I am sure your younger viewers will love.