All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 18, 2011

awesome 1970's sci-fi movie is fun for the whole family

great 1970's sci-fi classic. fun for the entire family. but lots of battle violence and mild language.
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic August 25, 2011

The Force is strong in this film

Once upon a time on a planet far, far away, there was a theater that featured a classic movie. This movie eventually became known as Star Wars: A New Hope. Get ready to hyperspace to Earth, where the Star Wars saga began and ended, but still lives in the fond memories and hearts of men as a tale of love, tyranny, and loyalty. See this adventure with the entire family. Great special effects; I never tire of watching this movie! Parents, there are some scenes to use discretion on: dark scenes with the main villain, Darth Vader (he chokes some people, and goes into a prisoner's room with a scary looking probe to 'interrogate' her); a scene in a bar where an alien's arm is cut off (with some blood); and a scene where a planet gets blown up (nothing graphic, just sad). Not very many swear words: just d--- once and hell. The characters do insult one another, just in friendly banter; and the only sexual content is slight crushes that the characters have on one another. The messages from this film are great: loyalty to friends, don't be greedy, use your talents ("Use the Force"), and keep your car fixed so it won't break down like the Millenium Falcon :) Anyway, be sure to grab a flight on the nearest ship/vehicle- and don't rent- BUY this awesome movie. Enjoy it together, and may the Force be with you. ~Ugli Chic
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 August 1, 2011

Classic Sci-Fi Series

Haven't seen it in a while, but I remembered it being good. It really is a classic. There is some violence (since they are in a war) with lightsabers slashing and gunshots, but, as it is an older movie, isn't very violent. There is a scene that takes place in the cantina (a bar) but it doesn't focus on it too much.
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2011

Great!

Great movie! I've always loved this movie
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

The first (and probably the best) Star Wars film.

My rating: PG for some sci-fi violence and language.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

A long time ago a gem of a movie named Star Wars came along

Despite Star Wars being classed as a kids' movie it does have some blood and a plenty of violence. While Obi-Wan and Luke may be good role models, Han Solo on the otherhand is only interested in money. Star Wars is a fantastic adventure ride for both youth and their elders.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

The start of an amazing saga.

George Lucas' first of the genius Star Wars saga. I'd say that with a bit of violence, and a character dies, but comes back through the force. Iffy for 5+.
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2011

Ultimate Classic

While I think that this movie is a timeless masterpiece it does have an iffy scene in it. Obi Wan slices somebody's arm off and blood is all over the floor.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2010

One Of My Favorite Star Wars Episodes

It is one of my favorite Star Wars episodes. It is the first episode to have human vs human. It has blood when Ben Kenobi cuts off an alien's arm, but can be identified as ketchup. There are many gun fights and space fights. Also, Han Solo says d--n and h--l.
Kid, 10 years old December 17, 2010

Preschool!

I saw this movie in PRE-SCHOOL thinking it was "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas" (That's What It Said On The Case!) And loved it. My Dad came home, "Hey Tay, Watcha Watching?" "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas!" ( In the backround, "Bew! Bew! Bew! (Guns.). ) I loved it and I still remember it. A great movie.
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2010

Good movie

Good Sci-fi movie. It had action.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 7, 2010

I can see how its become so classic

Friends have been nagging on me that I'm not a movie buff since I haven't seen the original Star Wars film. Well, what now, haters?!? I saw it, and I wasn't bored for a sec, as someone pointed out "they are a little cheesy, but it was over 30 years ago!) I really don't need to see anything more since everyone knows so much about the 2 trilogies of Star Wars, and am eager to watch the next 2 movies in the (original) trilogy. If I'm super-impressed, I'll watch the next 3.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2010

Great for young kids if they can put up with the first hour

This is a good movie. Great for younger kids if they can put up with the beginning which is pretty boring. There are some violent parts ( but most young kids will probably be OK with them). If your child is sensitive I suggest that they skip out on the bar scene and the first scene. I your kid has a low attention span you might want to just play the movie when they're in the house and they will eventually become interested in it.
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2010

Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Winner

This was a very interesting movie (coming from a Star Wars savvy). It was very imaginative and unlike anything anyone has seen before. Definitely check out this movie!
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2010

Real Cool

This movie is awesome with lots of light saber dueling. Its interesting to see how Luke became the Jedi he is.
Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2010

Great movie, with some violence mixed in

This is one of the best science fiction movies ever made. Action-packed, funny, and all around entertaining. But there is lots of bloodless, but extremely frequent, laser bolts being pumped into white-clad soldiers. In one scene two smoldering skeletons are shown and in another Obi-Wan uses his lightsaber to dismember an alien, whose bloody arm ends up on the ground. There are four swear words, but mainly the language is fine. If you're 8 or 9, it's an awesome fantasy.
Kid, 8 years old December 3, 2009

Star Wars - a Great Movie! And start of a great series!

I loved it. Kind of sad though. It is also violent. Guns, lightsabers, getting captured, though violent, as strange planets and creatures pop up, it's a classic! If your kids can not get through Disney's The Wild, (what I mean is if your child thinks The Wild is too scary) then your child is not ready for Star Wars. THE STORY: It's about 2 droids who venture off, and are found, and sold on Tantoonie. A couple by the last name of Lars buys the droids. Then, one of the droids runs away. Lars' adopted son, Luke Skywalker, (age 20) goes to find it with the other droid. Then, he meets Obi-Wan Kenobi. He tells him about the force. Meanwhile,the bad guys are trying to capture the 2 droids. Will Luke protect the droids? Will Luke escape Tantoonie? Anything can happen. Watch the movie, and find out what happens to Luke. TIPS: If your goal is to watch every Star Wars Movie, watch A New Hope first, then The Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi, then The Phantom Menace, then Attack of the Clones, then Revenge of the Sith. I watched it in that order, and enjoyed the Star Wars Collection. Also, Revenge of the Sith is more violent then the other 5. I enjoyed it, even though it was really violent! DON'T WORRY IF: I sat down to watch A New Hope with my dad at 6, and started crying after Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru die. If your child cries, or feels for the characters, that's okay! That means he understands the character's feelings.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2009

Perfect. Simply a perfect movie. Not much else I can say, except to also aknowledge how amazing the soundtrack is. Shame really, how later on they ruin this great promise of a series.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey August 15, 2009

Who doesn't like Star Wars?

I love star wars! Hardly anything suggestive. If you haven't seen it then why not? They're all great!
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

The worst movie ever made!

I'm shocked at how the movie exclaims that violent battes between artificially created and unbelievable characters is fun. All the movie has to offer is a false view on totalarian societies the will ruin children's moral views into a simplistic "There's only good and evil" idea. I blame this for ending the anti-war craze the Vietnam War started a view that made many people cheer when we were blowing up innocent people in Iraq in 1991, and more recently in Afghanistan and (again) Iraq. Avoid at all costs.