All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2010

Amazing for kids 9+

I loved this! My sister and I watched it and love it. We skipped over some of the more gruesome parts: Darth Vader choking a man, the burnt bodies, and the alien losing a limb when he tries to hurt Luke Skywalker. I think this is fine for kids nine and up as the neat special effects aren't so new nowadays, they'll be used to seeing monsters blown up. I did find the Galactic Empire blowing up an INHABITED planet a little creepy, but as all you see is a big bang and some big smoke clouds it isn't too bad. Both boys and girls should like this as Princess Leia is a really strong female character.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

One of the best movies ever made

An amazing movie, I grew up on these movies. This, along with Empire and Jedi are the GOOD Star Wars movies. The new ones aren't in the same league. Classic, must see. In fact, if you aren't letting your kids watch this, you're a bad parent. Should be required viewing for all people everywhere.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2010

classic, but what they didn't put on there, was that Han says h-ll and da-n one or two times.
Kid, 6 years old June 25, 2010

star wars 4

Teen, 16 years old Written byDerezzination June 7, 2011

It was rated a U for a reason

I watched this at age 4 and i found it the coolest thing ever. I was never really bothered about the violence and i see characters such as luke to be a good role model for kids as he has a blue lightsaber, not a red one.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan June 2, 2015

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope movie review

"Star Wars" is arguably the most influential movie of all time. It's a movie that changed the fate cinema forever. Does "Star Wars" live up to the hype? Absolutely!! This movie is phenomenal. In 1977, people did not see anything like it before. To see this in 1977 is amazing. The movie has a great story. For an adventure film, it does everything right. It has a story that leads to adventure. Very rarely is there any time for the characters to breathe. The audience is constantly on the edge of their seats. It is such a fun movie to watch. The action and special effects make the story better. The final act of the movie is brilliant. The scenes in the Death Star are just so nerve-racking and so riveting. The scenery and production design is terrific. It's just terrific to look at. The cinematography in "Star Wars" is legendary. The transitions are excellent and awesome. One of my all-time favorite scenes in movie history is when Luke is upset with his family and then he goes outside and the binary sunset occurs. It's just a spectacular and sensational scene that was just pure beautiful. The characters make "Star Wars" memorable. Luke Skywalker played by Mark Hamill was very interesting. In the beginning, he was a whiny boy who throughout the trilogy matures into a great Jedi Knight. Alec Guinness plays Obi-Wan Kenobi, a former Jedi Knight who was put to exile after the death of Luke's father. Obi-Wan is a wise man as he tells Luke what the force really is. That scene when Luke meets Obi-Wan and he tells him about the force and Darth Vader was so emotional. Also, he has some thought-provoking lines such as "Who's the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?" Now I'm going to talk about Darth Vader. This "man" is an evil soul. As Obi-Wan says Darth Vader killed Luke's father, Anakin and he also killed other Jedi Knights. Darth Vader is so menacing and the only villain scarier ever is the Joker from "The Dark Knight". Darth Vader has such a commanding presence and a commanding voice. No one on the face of this Earth wants to face him. Han Solo is my favorite character in the entire "Star Wars" saga. He is such a cool, suave character with great one-liners. Chewbacca and Princess Leia are both great, but they are more relevant in the next movie. The reason why I like "Star Wars" so much is because it expands our imagination. It is such a creative story and setting. Also the theme of having faith and what the force is is perfect. The ending when a surprising character comes to the rescue is just so cool. "Star Wars" is easily one of my all-time favorite movies. I think if you have not seen it, you absolutely should. It is a very creative and excellent movie and the one that changed cinema the most. As a young child, I liked this original "Star Wars" the most of the series because of the fun and adventurous story. Now I wouldn't say that. To me, the saga gets better and reaches its prime with "The Empire Strikes Back".
Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox May 29, 2015

Star Wars

A classic! Some sci-fi violence and action. Stormtroopers get killed, one lightsaber duel, a stormtrooper falls to his death... Also a little language always mild though, hell, damn. Some kissing nothing explicit... IFFY for 5 and under
Kid, 10 years old May 22, 2015

Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter May 2, 2015

The common sense media summarizers are too picky

Guys and gals this movie is amazing. The minor cusses are not going to convert your child into a laid back bad*ss smuggler like Han Solo. It will however convert him or her into a Star Wars lovin' nerd
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 April 20, 2015

A cinematic masterpiece.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time. Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were excellent in their roles.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2015

Appropriately Similar to Episode II

The only reasons I'm rating this episode 9+ is because of the language and peril. This is one of the best movies ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStarWarsWhovian March 4, 2015

Fantastic Movie

This movie is really good. Mild cursing, violence is mild and the only physical contact is kissing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 February 24, 2015

Classic Star Wars

This is the oldest movie in the Star Wars saga, this is an epic story of action and romance. This isn't as political as the prequels. There is one death in the film but no blood. This isn't a scary movie, However Darth Vader may frighten "preschool aged" kids. Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are good role models. This is a very classic movie, and a extremely good one.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams February 15, 2015

Perfect Star Wars movie.

This was one of the best Star Wars movies ever. Everything was great from the action to the graphics. If you're a Star Wars fan like me, I highly recommend Star wars Episode IV: The New Hope.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

the greatest science fiction film ever made.

I saw this when I was about 6 I think and I became a huge star wars fan. I'm still a star wars fan till this day and I can't wait for the force awakens. This movie is a little violent though and I think the only cuss word in it was one use of hell by han. But other than that this film is great for 6+ just maybe wait till their older to watch the sequels because they are a bit darker especially the empire strikes back.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 6, 2014

So-so sequel may be too original for kids

My rating:PG for violence and action
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 12, 2014

An epic beginning of a new trilogy.

An amazing start of a five-star saga, but a little scary, specifically at times when Darth Vader uses the Force on the necks of his own generals. Also, the time when Han Solo willingly went on a mission as a mercenary could also confuse children about whether this famed hero goes good or evil in the world.