All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2010

Amazing for kids 9+

I loved this! My sister and I watched it and love it. We skipped over some of the more gruesome parts: Darth Vader choking a man, the burnt bodies, and the alien losing a limb when he tries to hurt Luke Skywalker. I think this is fine for kids nine and up as the neat special effects aren't so new nowadays, they'll be used to seeing monsters blown up. I did find the Galactic Empire blowing up an INHABITED planet a little creepy, but as all you see is a big bang and some big smoke clouds it isn't too bad. Both boys and girls should like this as Princess Leia is a really strong female character.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjohnthemon February 25, 2011

One of the best movies ever made

An amazing movie, I grew up on these movies. This, along with Empire and Jedi are the GOOD Star Wars movies. The new ones aren't in the same league. Classic, must see. In fact, if you aren't letting your kids watch this, you're a bad parent. Should be required viewing for all people everywhere.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2010

classic, but what they didn't put on there, was that Han says h-ll and da-n one or two times.
Kid, 6 years old June 25, 2010

star wars 4

Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2015

Not perfect but definitely better than the phantom menace

Suggested rating: PG for sci-fi action violence and brief mild language
Teen, 16 years old Written byDerezzination June 7, 2011

It was rated a U for a reason

I watched this at age 4 and i found it the coolest thing ever. I was never really bothered about the violence and i see characters such as luke to be a good role model for kids as he has a blue lightsaber, not a red one.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byPhil Johnson July 25, 2015

STAR WARS!

A phenomenal Sci fi film! One of the best of all time! If you haven't seen this movie see it immediately! It's probably appropriate for 6-7 year olds, but I feel they wouldn't understand it. Great movie, some mild Sci fi violence but not much else to worry about.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChickemax July 25, 2015

Thearitical: When you think deeply about it, the violence could actually be over the top because vader chokes people, an entire, populated with billions of people planet gets blow up, and so (spoilers!) does the Death Star. Also in a creepy way, an alien's arm gets cut off. Language is minimum and there is absolutely no romance. Special Edition: There is an additional scene with an animated Jabba that could be creepy to younger kids but it is just Han and Jabba talking.
Kid, 10 years old July 3, 2015

Ok movie, good but a bit violent

I saw this movie when I was 7. There are scenes that might be creepy for younger kids like when Obi cuts a guys arm of with a light saber. It only shows the light saber and the bloody arm.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhtriplett@icloud.com June 19, 2015

This movie is my favorite of all 6. Luke is exactly like me in looks, desire and trust. While Han becomes a great, like able guy in the end. With a hilarious pairing of C-3PO and R2-D2. It has exciting action(you be on the edge of your seat the whole time! WATCH IT!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfoxmalmage13 June 11, 2015

Classic, but can be frightning and a little disturbing.

A lot of gun violence and the body count is huge. Darth vader blows an entire planet and their is implied torcher.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan June 2, 2015

Star Wars movie review

"Star Wars" is arguably the most influential movie of all time. It's a movie that changed the fate cinema forever. Does "Star Wars" live up to the hype? Absolutely!! This movie is phenomenal. In 1977, people did not see anything like it before. To see this in 1977 is amazing. The movie has a great story. For an adventure film, it does everything right. It has a story that leads to adventure. Very rarely is there any time for the characters to breathe. The audience is constantly on the edge of their seats. It is such a fun movie to watch. The action and special effects make the story better. The final act of the movie is brilliant. The scenes in the Death Star are just so nerve-racking and so riveting. The scenery and production design is terrific. It's just terrific to look at. The cinematography in "Star Wars" is legendary. The transitions are excellent and awesome. One of my all-time favorite scenes in movie history is when Luke is upset with his family and then he goes outside and the binary sunset occurs. It's just a spectacular and sensational scene that was just pure beautiful. The characters make "Star Wars" memorable. Luke Skywalker played by Mark Hamill was very interesting. In the beginning, he was a whiny boy who throughout the trilogy matures into a great Jedi Knight. Alec Guinness plays Obi-Wan Kenobi, a former Jedi Knight who was put to exile after the death of Luke's father. Obi-Wan is a wise man as he tells Luke what the force really is. That scene when Luke meets Obi-Wan and he tells him about the force and Darth Vader was so emotional. Also, he has some thought-provoking lines such as "Who's the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?" Now I'm going to talk about Darth Vader. This "man" is an evil soul. As Obi-Wan says Darth Vader killed Luke's father, Anakin and he also killed other Jedi Knights. Darth Vader is so menacing and the only villain scarier ever is the Joker from "The Dark Knight". Darth Vader has such a commanding presence and a commanding voice. No one on the face of this Earth wants to face him. Han Solo is my favorite character in the entire "Star Wars" saga. He is such a cool, suave character with great one-liners. Chewbacca and Princess Leia are both great, but they are more relevant in the next movie. The reason why I like "Star Wars" so much is because it expands our imagination. It is such a creative story and setting. Also the theme of having faith and what the force is is perfect. The ending when a surprising character comes to the rescue is just so cool. "Star Wars" is easily one of my all-time favorite movies. I think if you have not seen it, you absolutely should. It is a very creative and excellent movie and the one that changed cinema the most. As a young child, I liked this original "Star Wars" the most of the series because of the fun and adventurous story. Now I wouldn't say that. To me, the saga gets better and reaches its prime with "The Empire Strikes Back".
Teen, 14 years old Written byxgamerbrox May 29, 2015

Star Wars

A classic! Some sci-fi violence and action. Stormtroopers get killed, one lightsaber duel, a stormtrooper falls to his death... Also a little language always mild though, hell, damn. Some kissing nothing explicit... IFFY for 5 and under
Kid, 10 years old May 22, 2015

Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter May 2, 2015

The common sense media summarizers are too picky

Guys and gals this movie is amazing. The minor cusses are not going to convert your child into a laid back bad*ss smuggler like Han Solo. It will however convert him or her into a Star Wars lovin' nerd
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 April 20, 2015

A cinematic masterpiece.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time. Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were excellent in their roles.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2015

Appropriately Similar to Episode II

The only reasons I'm rating this episode 9+ is because of the language and peril. This is one of the best movies ever.