All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byKefi306 January 12, 2010

Perfect for those who want adventure in space!

Love it! My children can watch this movie over and over. They have momorized every line from it. It is so addicting, you can't get enough, so you will buy all 6 movies to get your fill.
Parent of a 8, 14, 18, 22, and 24 year old Written by6_Grandchildren April 12, 2009

DISPICABLE

WAY TO VIOLENT!! BLOODY, TERRIBLE VIOLENCE! NOT FOR AGES 16+ IN MY OPINION! I DO NOT ALLOW ANY OF MY GRANDCHILDREN TO WATCH THIS (EXCEPT FOR THE ADULT ONES) please, take my advice and stay away
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... November 11, 2008

one of the best movies of all time

acting- 4.5/5 art direction/set direction- 5/5 editing- 5/5 musical score- 5/5 sound- 5/5 visual effects- 5/5 directing- 5/5 screenplay- 5/5 one of the greatest films of all time, everything in this film is perfect or very close to it. I am still very puzzled that CSM gave it a 4/5. the finale still gives me goosebumps years after i originally saw it, i cant begin to describe how much i love this movie
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written bypollyannasunshine June 13, 2010

confusing and boring for younger kids

I rented this for my almost 5-year old and his almost-6 cousin, because they know the characters from the toys and their friends. While neither of them found it too scary, they were mostly just bored. For the first 45 minutes, they did nothing but ask me to explain what was going on. My son eventually wandered off to find something better to do. My nephew stuck it out till the end, but clearly about 90% of it went straight over his head. His summary? "Too much talking." He actually likes many very talky shows, but the talk in this, and most of the action is just at a level that a kid under 8 or 10 can barely comprehend, let alone appreciate.
Parent Written byPlague March 2, 2010

Star Wars: Episode lV: A New Hope

A fantastic first! Familys will grow onto these movies, I guarantee it.
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 18, 2009

Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee July 30, 2010

Parent of a 7 year old Written byquietones1980 September 3, 2009

my kid loves any thing to do with star wars. i think its a good show for him too watch, would rather he watched this than some of the shows more geared to his age such as i carly,
Adult Written byDUDES!!! October 2, 2011

The best of them all!!

BUT!!! I heard a bad word :( it was "hell!"
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

Kid, 8 years old December 3, 2009

Star Wars - a Great Movie! And start of a great series!

I loved it. Kind of sad though. It is also violent. Guns, lightsabers, getting captured, though violent, as strange planets and creatures pop up, it's a classic! If your kids can not get through Disney's The Wild, (what I mean is if your child thinks The Wild is too scary) then your child is not ready for Star Wars. THE STORY: It's about 2 droids who venture off, and are found, and sold on Tantoonie. A couple by the last name of Lars buys the droids. Then, one of the droids runs away. Lars' adopted son, Luke Skywalker, (age 20) goes to find it with the other droid. Then, he meets Obi-Wan Kenobi. He tells him about the force. Meanwhile,the bad guys are trying to capture the 2 droids. Will Luke protect the droids? Will Luke escape Tantoonie? Anything can happen. Watch the movie, and find out what happens to Luke. TIPS: If your goal is to watch every Star Wars Movie, watch A New Hope first, then The Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi, then The Phantom Menace, then Attack of the Clones, then Revenge of the Sith. I watched it in that order, and enjoyed the Star Wars Collection. Also, Revenge of the Sith is more violent then the other 5. I enjoyed it, even though it was really violent! DON'T WORRY IF: I sat down to watch A New Hope with my dad at 6, and started crying after Uncle Owen and Aunt Peru die. If your child cries, or feels for the characters, that's okay! That means he understands the character's feelings.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2009

Perfect. Simply a perfect movie. Not much else I can say, except to also aknowledge how amazing the soundtrack is. Shame really, how later on they ruin this great promise of a series.
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2012

Classic Good vs. Evil Plot

I watched this movie when I was 9 years old, and I was fine with it. It has the positive message of good against evil, loyalty, and perseverance. Princess Leia, Obi Wan, Luke, and even Han Solo are all positive role models, as Han and Luke have character arcs through the movie. There is some violence throughout, but nothing too gory. No sexiness other than a kiss on the cheek. There is some mild swearing, and consumerism is not an issue in the movie, but there are a number of toys, games etc. spun off. There is one scene in a bar. All in all, it pretty much deserves the pg rating. It depends on how mature your child (ren) are, and what you are willing to expose them to.
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2010

Good movie

Good Sci-fi movie. It had action.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 7, 2010

I can see how its become so classic

Friends have been nagging on me that I'm not a movie buff since I haven't seen the original Star Wars film. Well, what now, haters?!? I saw it, and I wasn't bored for a sec, as someone pointed out "they are a little cheesy, but it was over 30 years ago!) I really don't need to see anything more since everyone knows so much about the 2 trilogies of Star Wars, and am eager to watch the next 2 movies in the (original) trilogy. If I'm super-impressed, I'll watch the next 3.
Adult Written byryanasaurus0077 December 18, 2011

A good stepping stone for a very young movie lover

Let's face it: this is the ultimate sci-fi Western as if long before Italy brought us its own gritty take on the Wild West. Clear moralities are present, as the good guys wear white and, as Phil Anselmo once put it, the bad guys wear black; there's a bunch of duels going on (both with laser guns and laser SWORDS, hereafter referred to in this review by their proper name, lightsabers), with casualties on both sides; and it pays homage to a Kurosawa film. Two, actually; there's its main inspiration, The Hidden Fortress, and then there's a scene inspired by Yojimbo. Notice the coincidences: Obi-Wan, originally supposed to be played by the great Toshiro Mifune, slashes a bar punk's arm off in Star Wars, and a character actually played by Toshiro Mifune dismembers at least a couple of people in one attack (though at least he's polite enough to warn them that "it'll hurt") in Yojimbo. The Galactic Empire's use of the Death Star on Alderaan is sure to frighten some younger viewers, especially after it's stated that Tarkin would commit genocide if he followed through with the attack (which he does; small wonder his fanbase is sparse, if existent), and Vader's duel against Obi-Wan shows how noble Obi-Wan is in his last fight; unlike most other Jedi, who are usually burned in funeral pyres (as seen in I and VI), Obi-Wan simply fades away the moment Vader's lightsaber starts to bisect him; we find out why in III. The film ends with the climactic Battle of Yavin, in which our heroes (specifically Luke) destroy the Death Star before it can claim any more innocent lives so senselessly. Other than Luke discovering his home's been destroyed and his aunt and uncle killed by Imperial Stormtroopers (who later, and rather jarringly as a direct result of this and other earlier incidents, show their famous incompetence at firing a blaster; I'm not kidding, they're such bad shots there's a theoretical school for lousy marksmen that's named after them and it's called the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy), this could probably pass for a G rating (and yes, there's a few G-rated movies out there with the profanity level of this; and there's four swear words in all, all mild and half spoken by Han Solo, with one each attributed to Obi-Wan, of all people, and Owen Lars). A true classic!
Kid, 10 years old December 17, 2010

Preschool!

I saw this movie in PRE-SCHOOL thinking it was "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas" (That's What It Said On The Case!) And loved it. My Dad came home, "Hey Tay, Watcha Watching?" "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas!" ( In the backround, "Bew! Bew! Bew! (Guns.). ) I loved it and I still remember it. A great movie.
Kid, 6 years old June 25, 2010

star wars 4

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Excellent

Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope is a great film that I enjoyed very much. All of the fight scenes are exciting, and it is only mildly violent. There is no language, sexual content, or drugs/alchohol. And the violence is not bloody or graphic. Good for kids: 8+