All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byKefi306 January 12, 2010

Perfect for those who want adventure in space!

Love it! My children can watch this movie over and over. They have momorized every line from it. It is so addicting, you can't get enough, so you will buy all 6 movies to get your fill.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Adult Written bybaconbrother4 April 9, 2008

begining af anb awsome seiries

COOL
Parent Written byTheDarkKnightFalls May 9, 2015

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Star Wars is a 1977 science-fiction film set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... This may be a bit too dated for Star Wars fans, but definitely a great film to introduce kids to Sci-Fi. This film is the usual film length, (2hrs) so kids will have no problem with the film what-so-ever. My Classification: PG - Stylised Violence
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter May 2, 2015

The common sense media summarizers are too picky

Guys and gals this movie is amazing. The minor cusses are not going to convert your child into a laid back bad*ss smuggler like Han Solo. It will however convert him or her into a Star Wars lovin' nerd
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat April 25, 2015

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 April 20, 2015

A cinematic masterpiece.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time. Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were excellent in their roles.
Adult Written byLowe's man April 12, 2015

Has just the right balance.

You're right that this movie is "balanced". Even the violence is tame and brief, especially when compared to what gets released today. Even the characters are role models. The good guys, that is. Obi-Wan is a great teacher and great surrogate father to young Luke. Luke is only too eager to learn the ways of a Jedi Knight. Both steer the droids away from the path of destruction and teach them the "right" way. Even Princess Leia doesn't see her "status" as a justification for special treatment. In fact, she neither asks for nor gets it. She just acts like a normal person. As for The Force itself, some will see it as signifying a higher power, while others will see it as a complete made-up and fun fantasy. A classic must-see for school-age children.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bygergelyv April 4, 2015

Violence and scares. I'm baffled by the 7 rating

My seven-year-old, who was very hyped to finally see some Star Wars and get to know the characters, screamed and cried begging us to stop it almost immediately. For those who don't know the movie by heart, it starts way too violent and scary. In the first few minutes, starships shoot lasers at each other. The good guys' starship gets seriously damaged and captured by the bad guys. The bad guys enter the rebel starship by exploding the entrance. People and stormtroopers (who are probably scary enough just by their looks) shoot lasers at each other and several fall down, probably dead. Darth Vader arrives and lifts one of the good guys by the neck and chokes him? The good guys are seriously underpowered and clearly losing. It is extremely scary for a seven year old, please do not beleive the ratings. Something weird is going on here with the reviews, I don't understand how some people want 4-year-olds to see this, it might even be some deliberate skewing. It might be laughing matter for an adult, but it is not for small kids. I would estimate 12 years for the appropriate age.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 4, 2015

A fun adventure for the entire family, it filmmaking GOLD!

It's full of exciting space battles, fun and interesting characters, and the villain is awesome! Kids will love it, and adults who saw it as a kid will still love it!
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2015

Appropriately Similar to Episode II

The only reasons I'm rating this episode 9+ is because of the language and peril. This is one of the best movies ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStarWarsWhovian March 4, 2015

Fantastic Movie

This movie is really good. Mild cursing, violence is mild and the only physical contact is kissing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 February 24, 2015

Classic Star Wars

This is the oldest movie in the Star Wars saga, this is an epic story of action and romance. This isn't as political as the prequels. There is one death in the film but no blood. This isn't a scary movie, However Darth Vader may frighten "preschool aged" kids. Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are good role models. This is a very classic movie, and a extremely good one.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams February 15, 2015

Perfect Star Wars movie.

This was one of the best Star Wars movies ever. Everything was great from the action to the graphics. If you're a Star Wars fan like me, I highly recommend Star wars Episode IV: The New Hope.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

the greatest science fiction film ever made.

I saw this when I was about 6 I think and I became a huge star wars fan. I'm still a star wars fan till this day and I can't wait for the force awakens. This movie is a little violent though and I think the only cuss word in it was one use of hell by han. But other than that this film is great for 6+ just maybe wait till their older to watch the sequels because they are a bit darker especially the empire strikes back.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 6, 2014

So-so sequel may be too original for kids

My rating:PG for violence and action
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 22, 2014

good.

I love this movie, but there is one scene in a cantina, which may scare younger viewers.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 12, 2014

An epic beginning of a new trilogy.

An amazing start of a five-star saga, but a little scary, specifically at times when Darth Vader uses the Force on the necks of his own generals. Also, the time when Han Solo willingly went on a mission as a mercenary could also confuse children about whether this famed hero goes good or evil in the world.