All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Parent Written byfirelegend December 25, 2015

A classic

So it's easy to say this movie is okay for 7+ as the site currently says, because the tv version sometimes comes on and is edited. My 8yo and I tried to watch this and she was very upset by the part in the beginning in which Obi Wan cuts off someone's arm. its pretty disturbing, and I forgot it ever even happened (in the cantina). Make sure you watch an edited version with a 7+, the orignal version includes the arm part and I think is more violent then what was in The Force Awakens (which is marked as 10+ on the site currently).
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2015

Not perfect but definitely better than the phantom menace

Suggested rating: PG for sci-fi action violence and brief mild language
Parent of a 17 year old Written bydtsa78cfgs9rovw September 18, 2011

this and episode three are the only ones worth watching.......

this was a great sci-fi flick. other than some uses of dam and hell, some drinking at a cantina, some sci-fi violence including blaster fights,and lightsaber duels, and a rather tragic scene were luke finds his aunt and uncles burning carcases, this movie is appropriate for ages 5 and up, great film but skip the sequels they suck.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byKefi306 January 12, 2010

Perfect for those who want adventure in space!

Love it! My children can watch this movie over and over. They have momorized every line from it. It is so addicting, you can't get enough, so you will buy all 6 movies to get your fill.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWaynerdude January 15, 2016

A new hope more like new begging

Star Wars episode 4 was an amazing movie. You see a way of the force you've never seen before. Oh and ther is violence. And why mine is called what it is because you get 3 new people and 2 new droids not going to give it away but ya darth vader comes back and is a little creepy and sorry I say this 1 person dies.
Parent Written byrolandobabel June 14, 2013

Star wars movie with lowest age restriction

First star wars children should see. It has least violence in it.
Parent Written by@@@ December 15, 2011

Better than ALL modern action films. ALL of them.

I don't think that I have seen, or ever will see again, an action movie of this quality. These days, the genre is more aptly named the "boredom" genre. Back in the 70's, films had real plots, not just relentless action sequences.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDerezzination June 7, 2011

It was rated a U for a reason

I watched this at age 4 and i found it the coolest thing ever. I was never really bothered about the violence and i see characters such as luke to be a good role model for kids as he has a blue lightsaber, not a red one.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011
There is a few cuss words like h-ll and d--n.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byTim_McCool February 10, 2016

The Greatest Movie of All Freaking Time

First of all, if your child is ages 7-13 and haven't seen this movie, you are pure evil. The movie is perfect;if I could change anything, it would be the gosh darn special editions. There are about 5 violent parts, although the last 3 aren't so bad: Beru and Owen's bodies, the cantina arm scene, alderaan's destruction, Obi Wan's death, and the X Wing fight scene where various pilots (Rip Porkins and Biggs :( ) are shot down. But WHO CARES! ITS THE BEST MOVIE EVER! BTW try to find an original version, not special edition.
Kid, 8 years old January 30, 2016
C'était génial !!!
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written bylauradavis723@m... January 25, 2016

A movie for a 8 year old

I'm 8 years old and A New Hope not gory. If your not scared of fighting and stuff watch it. It's a great starter action movie
Kid, 12 years old January 15, 2016

Star Wars:A New Hope

Star Wars A New Hope is a great family movie. There's only two cuss words, there's no sexual content. No drug or alcohol mention, there's some violence there's not much blood. I would recommend this film for 10 and older, because younger children may not understand. George Lucas met for Star Wars to awake some kind of spiritual effect on kids. Star Wars has a religious effect for all religions but mostly Zen Buddhism religion. Some of the religious schools use Star Wars as an example of God. But other then that Stars Wars is a really good movie I really recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTrapshooter35 January 15, 2016

Star Wars: An Amzing Movie

Star Wars : A New Hope is an amazing movie. It is an incredible action-packed film. I would recommend this movie to anyone. It starts off with a young boy named Luke Skywalker. Luke is brave, but is also whiny at times. He later meets Han Solo who is cocky and is usually only in it for the money. Luke and Han end up teaming up to go save Princess Leia from the Evil Galactic Empire. Luke and Han continue their adventures throughout the rest of the movie. There is some violence in the movie, but I would still consider it a family movie. Most os the violent scenes aren't to graphic. There is some very mild language in the film. Overall, this movie is definitely worth watching.
Teen, 13 years old Written byImBubbles January 15, 2016

Lightsabers for the win!!!

Star Wars, a new hope, was a great movie. It is a movie about a kid named Luke Skywalker who works for his uncle on a farm. He finds an interesting message from a special droid. The message leads to a very exciting adventure including epic lightsaber battles, awesome escapes, and a great story. I give this movie 5 out of 5 bubbles. It is very well-made and definitely worth watching. This movie has great role models and teaches kids to be courageous and brave. There is very little violence except for one scene where one guy gets his arm cut off. Overall it is a great movie and I definitely recommend watching it.
Adult Written byKevin H January 15, 2016

Star Wars The Lazer Sword Movie

Star Wars everyone loves it! This awesome movie with Lazers and glowing sword and lifting objects with the force. Luke skywalker the farm kid who just wants to be a pilot,but instead he became a Jedi and a fighter pilot with a Lazers sword. Han Solo a sumlger that drops his cargo at the first sight of a ship. Princess Leia the princess that puts you into a garbage,then from all of that is the big hairy fuzzball chebacha who hates handcuffs and losing at chess (whatever that is). Their world view is that the force is God and it is always their. It's is not a very violence with one part of blood in it, the age should 6+ years old. It is a very good movie and I hope you enjoy!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmgrace January 15, 2016

MAY THE 4th BE WITH YOU

Do you like action and adventure? If you do, you would like Star Wars IV "A New Hope." It is about the imperial empire wanting to take back the Death Star plans that fell into hands of the rebellions. This whole while Luke, just an ordinary kid, learns to use the force through an extraordinary Jedi. Joining him a man and his odd friend. Luke ends up helping the rebellion try to defeat the Death Star. I rate this movie 4 out of 5 for family friendly because of the violence and I would suggest children not older than nine or ten to watch this. Overall I would say that Star Wars IV "A New Hope" is a fairly good movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMakennadejong January 15, 2016

A new hope... For you to read this review.

Star Wars is an exciting movie about a war between the dark side and the light side. Although there is violence, I would recommend this for anyone above six years old. Star was is a great family and over all movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjackson9 January 15, 2016

pew pew...BOOM

Star was is a classic and it always will be. I believe (if we hadn't gotten blown up in nuclear war) Star Wars will still be watched by millions. Star Wars begins with Luke sky walker and Obi-Wan kanobi and how they end up with two droids with a secret message. The message contains plans for the rebellion on how to destroy the empire, and now these two besties needs to get this message to the rebellion. They both find two pilots to take them to the rebellion base and there is many "encounters" with the empire. The worldview is that someone or something that controls and has power over everything (Aka: a God). George Lucas shows this as the force in Star Wars and raises many new questions. Star Wars is amazing and should be watched by everyone...I hope you enjoy it.