All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byKefi306 January 12, 2010

Perfect for those who want adventure in space!

Love it! My children can watch this movie over and over. They have momorized every line from it. It is so addicting, you can't get enough, so you will buy all 6 movies to get your fill.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 April 20, 2015

A cinematic masterpiece.

One of the best sci-fi films of all time. Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were excellent in their roles.
Adult Written byLowe's man April 12, 2015

Has just the right balance.

You're right that this movie is "balanced". Even the violence is tame and brief, especially when compared to what gets released today. Even the characters are role models. The good guys, that is. Obi-Wan is a great teacher and great surrogate father to young Luke. Luke is only too eager to learn the ways of a Jedi Knight. Both steer the droids away from the path of destruction and teach them the "right" way. Even Princess Leia doesn't see her "status" as a justification for special treatment. In fact, she neither asks for nor gets it. She just acts like a normal person. As for The Force itself, some will see it as signifying a higher power, while others will see it as a complete made-up and fun fantasy. A classic must-see for school-age children.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bygergelyv April 4, 2015

Violence and scares. I'm baffled by the 7 rating

My seven-year-old, who was very hyped to finally see some Star Wars and get to know the characters, screamed and cried begging us to stop it almost immediately. For those who don't know the movie by heart, it starts way too violent and scary. In the first few minutes, starships shoot lasers at each other. The good guys' starship gets seriously damaged and captured by the bad guys. The bad guys enter the rebel starship by exploding the entrance. People and stormtroopers (who are probably scary enough just by their looks) shoot lasers at each other and several fall down, probably dead. Darth Vader arrives and lifts one of the good guys by the neck and chokes him? The good guys are seriously underpowered and clearly losing. It is extremely scary for a seven year old, please do not beleive the ratings. Something weird is going on here with the reviews, I don't understand how some people want 4-year-olds to see this, it might even be some deliberate skewing. It might be laughing matter for an adult, but it is not for small kids. I would estimate 12 years for the appropriate age.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 4, 2015

A fun adventure for the entire family, it filmmaking GOLD!

It's full of exciting space battles, fun and interesting characters, and the villain is awesome! Kids will love it, and adults who saw it as a kid will still love it!
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2015

Appropriately Similar to Episode II

The only reasons I'm rating this episode 9+ is because of the language and peril. This is one of the best movies ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStarWarsWhovian March 4, 2015

Fantastic Movie

This movie is really good. Mild cursing, violence is mild and the only physical contact is kissing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 February 24, 2015

Classic Star Wars

This is the oldest movie in the Star Wars saga, this is an epic story of action and romance. This isn't as political as the prequels. There is one death in the film but no blood. This isn't a scary movie, However Darth Vader may frighten "preschool aged" kids. Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are good role models. This is a very classic movie, and a extremely good one.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams February 15, 2015

Perfect Star Wars movie.

This was one of the best Star Wars movies ever. Everything was great from the action to the graphics. If you're a Star Wars fan like me, I highly recommend Star wars Episode IV: The New Hope.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

the greatest science fiction film ever made.

I saw this when I was about 6 I think and I became a huge star wars fan. I'm still a star wars fan till this day and I can't wait for the force awakens. This movie is a little violent though and I think the only cuss word in it was one use of hell by han. But other than that this film is great for 6+ just maybe wait till their older to watch the sequels because they are a bit darker especially the empire strikes back.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 6, 2014

So-so sequel may be too original for kids

My rating:PG for violence and action
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 22, 2014

good.

I love this movie, but there is one scene in a cantina, which may scare younger viewers.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 12, 2014

An epic beginning of a new trilogy.

An amazing start of a five-star saga, but a little scary, specifically at times when Darth Vader uses the Force on the necks of his own generals. Also, the time when Han Solo willingly went on a mission as a mercenary could also confuse children about whether this famed hero goes good or evil in the world.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPrequelHater878 September 11, 2014

A classic

This is a classic movie, very fun and imaginative. It is a great time to watch this movie and it is a must see
Parent of a 2, 6, 8, and 8 year old Written byFowlerFan September 3, 2014

Still a classic

On the whole, I think this movie is fine for kids 7-8. The language is okay, no worse than, say, Shrek. There were only two scenes that I thought were a little iffy ... in the bar where the one patron's arm got cut off. The other was when Luke's Aunt/Uncle were killed. In the scene showing their house, you could see their burnt bodies in the foreground. Not sure if every kid will pick up on that, but they were definitely there.
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2014

Great B movie type fun (even though this is not a B movie)

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan July 15, 2014

Star Wars movie review

I'm going to refer to this film as "Star Wars" and not "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" because that is how it was originally called when it came out in 1977. "Star Wars" is the movie that changed cinema forever. When it first came out, people had never seen this kind of science fiction. This movie is pure amazing. The plot wasn't overthought and boring, it was simple and interesting. Sometimes, simple is bad, but in this case it was good. The action was sensational for the time. In 1977, no one had seen this kind of action before and people were amazed by it. Another thing I really liked was the villain Darth Vader. He is menacing. Darth Vader was a different type of villain. His overall structure was pure evil and frightening. Other characters like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Chewbacca "the walking carpet" are all very likeable. We see throughtout the movie how Luke struggles to use the force and control it. We see more of that in "The Empire Strikes Back". In addition to the characters, action, and story the dialogue is fantastic. I didn't think the script was campy or too serious, it was just right. From the beginning to the end, I was totally invested in "Star Wars". There is nothing bad about it and to this day, it is one of the best films in the history of cinema. In my opinion, the "Star Wars" franchise is complemented with "The Empire Strikes Back".
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth July 1, 2014

a long time ago In a galaxy far far away

Star wars is full of sci-fi action and some creepy looking creatures. There are several deaths including a death of a mentor to Luke Skywalker.This movie won 6/10 academy awards for sound,art direction,costume design,film editing,original score,visual effects and a special achievement award.This movie also held highest grossing film at the box office for 6 years.