All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Kid, 9 years old December 23, 2013

star wars, not my favorite but is awsome and highly appropriate for any kid

the cussing is nothing I notice until a year ago I'm nine in a month ten, when I'm ten I will have been watching it for 7 years.it was my intro to sci-fi and appropriate for any age. violence is no problem at all
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2013

May the force be with this movie

Great movie, a bit sad when Obi-Wan dies. There is one scene in the Mos Eisly cantina when a guy's arm is chopped off and it shows blood. Garbage squid might scare some kids but it just looks like a long, thick brown root. Awesome movie and one of my dad's favorites. If you like this movie and your kids had no problems with it, you may want to consider Raiders of the Lost Ark, co-directed by George Lucas and starring Harrison Ford.
Kid, 10 years old October 16, 2013

Nice family movie. :)

I finished watching this today. Violence: fighting, no blood though. Language: "d*mn," "d*mnit," and "h*ll." Sexy stuff: a little kissing. Drinking drugs smoking: some characters are shown at a bar in a cantina, but doesn't show what they drink.
Kid, 11 years old October 3, 2013

Quite Violent

I say that because of the alien who's arm is sliced off (with blood). One thing. If you are in Britain (like me) do not trust the certificate U (I guess that's like G in the US?). I would put the age higher but I love Star Wars and it was meant for kids about 7. It's your choice.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookreader4Christ August 29, 2013

Classic Good vs Evil!

I'm a Star Wars geek. There's no getting around it. I simply love these movies! I wish more movies were made like this: a fun, action-packed story that has the traditional good-against-evil plot. Despite being made back in 1977 with special effects that are nowhere near like we have today, the movie is a classic, and there's a reason that it still holds interest today. POSITIVE MESSAGES Years ago, the evil Emperor took over the galaxy and now holds onto a tyrannic rule, alongside his faithful second-in-command Darth Vader. But there is a band of rebels desperately trying to regain freedom. The Star Wars story is one of good against evil, back in the day when the goodguys were just that: good. The heroes of the story have qualities like bravery, self-sacrifice, loyalty, and compassion. They aren't in it for themselves. the Rebel Alliance is uncertain as to whether or not they can win the fight, but they are willing to die for what's right. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS Luke Skywalker is a farm boy on the remote desert planet of Tatooine. Although he is brave--somewhat reckless--he has a certain whiny side to him. He's kind of a complainer. But he is willing to stand up for what's right. Princess Leia can be bossy. Being a princess, she doesn't like it when people don't do as she tells them. And yet...she's also willing to take things into her own hands, if the need arises. Han Solo is the cocky and self-obsessed criminal who's only in it for the money. He does come around in the end though, coming back to help the Rebels win the battle. Obi-wan is a good mentor. Chewbacca is loyal. VIOLENCE Lots of action: back-and-forth gunfights and light-saber duels. There is a lengthy star-fighter battle at the end when the rebels go to destroy the Death Star and many of the pilots are either blown up or crash. Luke's aunt and uncle's farm is destroyed by the Imperial troops, and we briefly see their bodies. An alien character's arm is chopped off, and we see some blood there. Darth Vader chokes a rebel. The Imperials blow up an entire planet. I will note that the bar scene with all the alien creatures did freak me out the first time I watched this movie (I was 9), but about a year later we watched it again and I was fine with it. SEXUAL CONTENT A brief kiss between Luke and Leia. LANGUAGE Occasional hell and d--n. DRINKING There is a scene that takes place in a bar, and we see the patrons drinking, although it is never clarified what it is. OVERVIEW There is some violence, but never dwells on the gory details. There are some humorous back-and-forth banters between characters, which helps to keep things fun. Definitely worth watching!
Kid, 6 years old July 18, 2013

An Umer Made

Strangling so for 5th graders
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2013

A new hope

This is an amazing movie. A true classic. But, the violence is heavy in some scenes. An alien gets an arm chopped off by a lightsaber and the arm is shown lying on the floor with blood. Darth Vader chokes people and is very menacing. An entire planet is destroyed in a single blast. A farm is shown after it was burned down and attacked. You can see some corpses. There are some positive role models though. Luke is a pretty good role model. So is Leia and Obi-Wan. Han is a bad one because he only cares about money. Han also says the d**n and h**l. Overall this is a very good and enjoyable family movie for families with kids 8 and up. May the Force be with You!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston May 11, 2013

Cool.

This was a great Star wars film. The graphics and action were so amazing. I recommend this film to any Star Wars fan.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer May 5, 2013

The Film That Launched a Thousand Starships

A New Hope is where it all began. It's absence was the dam holding back untold trillions of tons of merchandise, novels, films and TV shows. If your kid likes fantasy, sci-fi, or both, then show them this film. The plot is simple: The Galactic Empire has an evil space station capable of blowing entire planets apart, which the Rebels must destroy. Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, and Chewbacca go on a quest to destroy it and rescue Princess Leia, accompanied by the two lovable, bickering droids, C-3PO and R2-D2. Violence is definitely there: Blasterfights break out frequently in the film, with a large one in the beginning resulting in several Rebel soldiers dying (though no blood is shown). There is a fight with Lightsabers (laser swords) towards the end, with a main character dying. An alien is dismembered in the now-famous Mos Eisley Cantina, with the one example of blood in Star Wars history being shown. The Death Star blows up an Earth-like planet, and there is a large space dogfight at the end of the film, resulting in an Imperial space station exploding. Very mild language, mostly the occasional d--- and h--- (foul language is very rare in Star Wars as a whole, in fact). Leia briefly kisses Luke, but nothing more. One scene takes place in a cantina, where patrons drink unidentifiable beverages. Some aliens may be disturbing to younger viewers. An important thing to note: Star Wars is HUGE! Be wary if your children see this, for they'll clamor to see the other five films, as well as the three coming out in a few years. They'll want the action figures, the video games, maybe an account with Star Wars: The Old Republic (currently free for the basics only with optional microtransactions, but they may not be ready for it. Read Commonsense's review for it, I've posted one as well) and Clone Wars Adventures (Again, free, but with microtransactions. Not too inappropriate). That's about it. May the Force be with you!
Kid, 11 years old April 30, 2013

awesome movie!

I thought this was a great movie, but with a bit of violence. my younger brother loved it! it might be a littlse scary for kids under 7.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperSonicSteve896 April 28, 2013

Really good graphics.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I think this was another awesome accomplishment for the franshise. This film had lots of mind-blowing graphics and everything you want in a movie. Get the DVD, you'll thank me for it.
Kid, 9 years old April 1, 2013

Good, but not the best

The film is ok but not as good as the other Star Wars films. It is quite boring, but the fights are good.
Teen, 15 years old Written by224luke March 29, 2013

Awesome

I think this is a great movie I didn't mean to press sex, but it is volient.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNK17 February 9, 2013

astonishing movie

never gets old, i think there are great role models in this movie, there is alot of sci-fi violence SW is notorious for that, and the have more cussing than in the others (d--n and h--l were very regular conversation back then) Han is kindof a sexual joke offender but nothing too far, anyway the sequels i think are way better than the prequels, in 2015 I will still watch VII, I just do not expect it to be as good as this...
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2013

One of the Most Groundbreaking Sci Fi Movies of All Time

This is one of the most groundbreaking sci fi movies ever. It caused a sensation when it came out. There's some violence, and that's the only thing that's an issue. There's also some scenes that might be scary for little kids. There's also good messages and role models.
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2013

Good for All Ages

Good movie - the characters are strong and caring, it's not too violent, and nothing more than a kiss is seen. Anyone should be able to watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviewannabe December 22, 2012

A Child-Friendly Thriller

This film turned on my sense of thrills. Luke Skywalker REALLY knocked it out of the park when he blew up the Death Star!! I think this movie should teach kids a little bit about warfare if they have military interests in their future.
Kid, 10 years old October 4, 2012

So-so movie; alert of a bloodily violent scene and consumerism; I might re-consider.

I have all of the 6 movies on DVD, and I have only seen this one completely. I only saw half of The Phantom Menace, when I found out I then needed English subtitles (if available) to understand the movie. This was so-so. I should watch it again, and, reconsider. It was about Luke Skywalker, who had two robots, R2D2, and, C3P0, who lead him to this smuggler Han Solo (played by a cool, spitting image of Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford). The adventure starts from there. Now, violence. The violence is not suitable for children under 11, due to a creature's arm, all severed off, with it's bone stump and everything. Lots, and, lots, and, lots, of, blood, in that scene. Very gruesome. Mostly, OK, for over 9s. Off for 8s and under. Consumerism, is: Lunchboxes. Novelisations. Probably ?Coca-Cola?. 20th Century Fox., Lucasfilm LTD., THX., Dolby Digital., Videogames. The LEGO Treatment. The Soundtracks. Some TV Specials. Numerous, countless, animated TV series by animated TV series. More TV series. A spin-off "Clone Wars" movie. The MPAA. A spin-off "Clone Wars" TV series, currently, very popular. So-so movie overall. MoviesAreAwesome.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2012

One of The Greatest Sci-Fi Films Ever Made. Changed Movie-Making Forever!

Star Wars is the biggest science fiction/fantasy franchise in history, and in my opinion, it certainly deserves it. With the insane special effects, iconic characters, and ability to reach and be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of race, age, or religion, these films have inspired countless kids (Including me!) to want to work in the film business. All of these films are amazing, (Minus Phantom Menace, which was good, not great.) and Episode lV: A New Hope is no exception. The characters are simple but not one-dimensional, and the action is fun and engaging. And though this film is not as violent as many modern action films, there is some stuff to watch out for when viewing it with younger children. In the cantina scene, an alien starts a fight, and gets his arm cut off with a lightsaber. You then see the arm on the ground with some blood. Besides that scene, the only violence is pretty cartoony and there's no blood to speak of. Besides that and some minor curse words like h-ll and d-mn, this is the perfect film to watch with young sci-fi/action fans.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAustinandally12 July 6, 2012

The BEST MOVIE I EVER SAW!!!

This is an adventurios Movie iam a Star Wars Freak