All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Parent of a 2, 6, 8, and 8 year old Written byFowlerFan September 3, 2014

Still a classic

On the whole, I think this movie is fine for kids 7-8. The language is okay, no worse than, say, Shrek. There were only two scenes that I thought were a little iffy ... in the bar where the one patron's arm got cut off. The other was when Luke's Aunt/Uncle were killed. In the scene showing their house, you could see their burnt bodies in the foreground. Not sure if every kid will pick up on that, but they were definitely there.
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2014

Great B movie type fun (even though this is not a B movie)

Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth July 1, 2014

a long time ago In a galaxy far far away

Star wars is full of sci-fi action and some creepy looking creatures. There are several deaths including a death of a mentor to Luke Skywalker.This movie won 6/10 academy awards for sound,art direction,costume design,film editing,original score,visual effects and a special achievement award.This movie also held highest grossing film at the box office for 6 years.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2014

Star Wars

My profile: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/users/epic-waffles This is the first and very good Star Wars movie. It just has violence with lightsabers, they say the words damn and hell, and people kiss. This is appropriate for ages 8 'n' up. Very good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCozymonster Bigman22 May 25, 2014

The one that started it all!

I loved "Star Wars" a lot, and I think that this movie (even in 1977) has some cool special effects. George Lucas, if you're out there, I loved your work. Especially that dialogue by Han Solo: "Wonderful girl! If I'm going to kill her, I'm beginning to like her!" That dialogue made me laugh. But notheless, it is a great choice for kids ages 8 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byC3P0reviews May 11, 2014

Star Wars Is The Best! (CONTAINS SPOILERS) STILLINPROGRESSNOSAVEBUTTONHERE

This movie is a MUST -SEE! I got to know about this series through Tom Angleberger's Origami Yoda series-good by the way-and I love it! My favorite character is C3P0 but all the (good) characters are like-able. This was an enjoyable experience, but make sure your child is ready for it and its sequels before she or he sees it! The special effects can be cheesy to the modern age,but don't let younger, more gullible children see the gross parts! Bad or just iffy Parts- The movie has 2 bloodied skeletons, a (fake and ketchup-bleeded) cut-off alien arm, some things blowing up including people and a planet that looks like Earth that is inhabited by the bad guys, a few swears but hardly noticeable (including a expletive untranslated said in droid by R2-D2 in a series of beeps to which C3P0's reply was "You watch your language!" Good idea, Threepio! :) ), some choking by Darth Vader, some guns and lightsabers and the ultimate weapon,the Death Star( Star Wars version of swords)
Adult Written byFilm Fan May 5, 2014

True Essential Filmmaking! Worthy for Everyone Who Considers Themselves a Fan of Cinema!

If you ask me what is single-handedly the greatest movie ever made, then I answer with Star Wars. Newcomers, don't be fooled by Episode 4. This is the first Star Wars film made, and is the original classic. Directed by George Lucas, the film tells the ultimate adventure story, about an ordinary farm boy who leads a rebellion to destroy the Evil Galactic Empire, and no matter how many times you watch it, that same feeling of awe always comes out. The story is epic, Lucas' passion for creating his universe works brilliantly, and some of the most famous movie characters of all-time (Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, etc.) are featured in this excellent movie. But is it appropriate for young children? CONTENT: Violence- Mostly loud, gun shots at the Stormtroopers and some epic explosions. Not as elaborate or super intense as modern violence. With that said, there's still scenes that could scare some kids, such as some emotional death scenes. Sex- none, just a small "good-luck" kiss Language- Han Solo says a couple of naughty words, but it can go over younger kids heads (not like it's the f-word or anything like that). FINAL RESULT- Good for anyone over the age of 5, but parental supervision is recommended for anyone younger than 8. It's the best one to start out with for newcomers, not Episode 1, as things such as The Force and Jedi Knights are better explained in this outing. It also makes a good introduction to the sci-fi genre. With great storytelling, great characters, and great action, Star Wars gets my highest recommendation.
Parent Written byConcernedCatholicMom April 12, 2014

IGN

3/5: A masterpiece + Masterpiece +Amazing +We Like It -IGN
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 29, 2013

Masterfully Woven Sci-Fi Epic

This is the GREATEST science fiction movie of all time. It is almost impossible to escape Star Wars, as its impact on entertainment, relationships, and even government (Obama referenced Star Wars in an address recently) is almost impossible to comprehend. Hundreds of thousands of people have met and become friends, for a lifetime or just one viewing of a Star Wars film, because of this single, two-hour, piece of pure joy. There is some violence--lasers and lightsabers galore! There is never any gore, though. One scene takes place in a bar. There is no sex, except some kissing, and no language whatsoever. This should be required viewing for any person--get a copy on DVD now!
Kid, 9 years old December 23, 2013

star wars, not my favorite but is awsome and highly appropriate for any kid

the cussing is nothing I notice until a year ago I'm nine in a month ten, when I'm ten I will have been watching it for 7 years.it was my intro to sci-fi and appropriate for any age. violence is no problem at all
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2013

May the force be with this movie

Great movie, a bit sad when Obi-Wan dies. There is one scene in the Mos Eisly cantina when a guy's arm is chopped off and it shows blood. Garbage squid might scare some kids but it just looks like a long, thick brown root. Awesome movie and one of my dad's favorites. If you like this movie and your kids had no problems with it, you may want to consider Raiders of the Lost Ark, co-directed by George Lucas and starring Harrison Ford.
Kid, 10 years old October 16, 2013

Nice family movie. :)

I finished watching this today. Violence: fighting, no blood though. Language: "d*mn," "d*mnit," and "h*ll." Sexy stuff: a little kissing. Drinking drugs smoking: some characters are shown at a bar in a cantina, but doesn't show what they drink.
Kid, 11 years old October 3, 2013

Quite Violent

I say that because of the alien who's arm is sliced off (with blood). One thing. If you are in Britain (like me) do not trust the certificate U (I guess that's like G in the US?). I would put the age higher but I love Star Wars and it was meant for kids about 7. It's your choice.
Kid, 6 years old July 18, 2013

An Umer Made

Strangling so for 5th graders
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2013

A new hope

This is an amazing movie. A true classic. But, the violence is heavy in some scenes. An alien gets an arm chopped off by a lightsaber and the arm is shown lying on the floor with blood. Darth Vader chokes people and is very menacing. An entire planet is destroyed in a single blast. A farm is shown after it was burned down and attacked. You can see some corpses. There are some positive role models though. Luke is a pretty good role model. So is Leia and Obi-Wan. Han is a bad one because he only cares about money. Han also says the d**n and h**l. Overall this is a very good and enjoyable family movie for families with kids 8 and up. May the Force be with You!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer May 5, 2013

The Film That Launched a Thousand Starships

A New Hope is where it all began. It's absence was the dam holding back untold trillions of tons of merchandise, novels, films and TV shows. If your kid likes fantasy, sci-fi, or both, then show them this film. The plot is simple: The Galactic Empire has an evil space station capable of blowing entire planets apart, which the Rebels must destroy. Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, and Chewbacca go on a quest to destroy it and rescue Princess Leia, accompanied by the two lovable, bickering droids, C-3PO and R2-D2. Violence is definitely there: Blasterfights break out frequently in the film, with a large one in the beginning resulting in several Rebel soldiers dying (though no blood is shown). There is a fight with Lightsabers (laser swords) towards the end, with a main character dying. An alien is dismembered in the now-famous Mos Eisley Cantina, with the one example of blood in Star Wars history being shown. The Death Star blows up an Earth-like planet, and there is a large space dogfight at the end of the film, resulting in an Imperial space station exploding. Very mild language, mostly the occasional d--- and h--- (foul language is very rare in Star Wars as a whole, in fact). Leia briefly kisses Luke, but nothing more. One scene takes place in a cantina, where patrons drink unidentifiable beverages. Some aliens may be disturbing to younger viewers. An important thing to note: Star Wars is HUGE! Be wary if your children see this, for they'll clamor to see the other five films, as well as the three coming out in a few years. They'll want the action figures, the video games, maybe an account with Star Wars: The Old Republic (currently free for the basics only with optional microtransactions, but they may not be ready for it. Read Commonsense's review for it, I've posted one as well) and Clone Wars Adventures (Again, free, but with microtransactions. Not too inappropriate). That's about it. May the Force be with you!
Kid, 11 years old April 30, 2013

awesome movie!

I thought this was a great movie, but with a bit of violence. my younger brother loved it! it might be a littlse scary for kids under 7.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperSonicSteve896 April 28, 2013

Really good graphics.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I think this was another awesome accomplishment for the franshise. This film had lots of mind-blowing graphics and everything you want in a movie. Get the DVD, you'll thank me for it.
Teen, 15 years old Written by224luke March 29, 2013

Awesome

I think this is a great movie I didn't mean to press sex, but it is volient.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byNK17 February 9, 2013

astonishing movie

never gets old, i think there are great role models in this movie, there is alot of sci-fi violence SW is notorious for that, and the have more cussing than in the others (d--n and h--l were very regular conversation back then) Han is kindof a sexual joke offender but nothing too far, anyway the sequels i think are way better than the prequels, in 2015 I will still watch VII, I just do not expect it to be as good as this...