All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope

Sci-fi action classic perfect for sharing with kids.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bygergelyv April 4, 2015

Violence and scares. I'm baffled by the 7 rating

My seven-year-old, who was very hyped to finally see some Star Wars and get to know the characters, screamed and cried begging us to stop it almost immediately. For those who don't know the movie by heart, it starts way too violent and scary. In the first few minutes, starships shoot lasers at each other. The good guys' starship gets seriously damaged and captured by the bad guys. The bad guys enter the rebel starship by exploding the entrance. People and stormtroopers (who are probably scary enough just by their looks) shoot lasers at each other and several fall down, probably dead. Darth Vader arrives and lifts one of the good guys by the neck and chokes him? The good guys are seriously underpowered and clearly losing. It is extremely scary for a seven year old, please do not beleive the ratings. Something weird is going on here with the reviews, I don't understand how some people want 4-year-olds to see this, it might even be some deliberate skewing. It might be laughing matter for an adult, but it is not for small kids. I would estimate 12 years for the appropriate age.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bysarahphale June 12, 2010

Not about how good a movie, its about when its appropriate

In response to Sith Lord, this isn't a question of how awesome Star Wars is, it is a question of child development and when the film is appropriate. Way too much violence for a young child to understand....a wonderful movie for older children.Can't believe someone would show this to a 3 or 4 year old. Seems irresponsible to me...I loved it so lets have you watch it before you're ready. And just because a child doesn't get aspects of a movie doesn't make it OK to show it to them....it means they aren't ready to watch it YET.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written bySmolin June 16, 2009

Great for Young Kids

I recently watched this with my 5-year-old son. He's really into the Star Wars franchise, and this movie made a huge impression on me when I saw it at age 7, so I was anxious for him to see it. He probably would have gotten a bit more out of it had he been older, but he did really enjoy it. He wasn't scared by anything in it nor freaked out by the cinematic violence, but the plot nuances might have been a bit over his head. I don't believe that the violence in this movie is worth worrying about for the suggested age group, since it is pretty abstract (e.g. while people do get shot & killed, it's never graphic or distressing.) All in all, a great movie that stimulates the young imagination to no end.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byamhobbs June 18, 2014

A bit scary for younger kids.

Maybe we've sheltered our kids (all girls that recently turned 9,7,5) from scary movies and violence but this was well beyond any movie we've shown them with regards to violence. Yet the age rating on this movie was a 7, the same as much milder animated films we've shown them recently. I was eager to show them the movie as it is one of my favorites but was concerned about the suspense and violence. They handled it ok, but they definitely had some anxiety through the movie and we constantly had to remind them it would be ok and soften the more intense scenes to them by explaining things to them. I know friends and family that have allowed their kids to watch this and other similar movies at a younger age. Maybe our girls are just different or we shielded them to much. Anyway, we will see if we have a bed full of kids tonight! ;o)
Parent of a 8 year old Written byTarmik November 3, 2013

Cut off arm with blood - is not suitable for children 7 years old

Movie is good, but review - child suitability is not correct. Cut off arm with blood - is not suitable for children 7 years old. I propose to adjust this to 9-10 years old.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 8+ for mild sci-fi violence and language

A classic sci-fi/fantasy film that has some action sequences and mild violence (including someone's arm getting cut off, and burned skeletons). The few violent scenes are brief and usually contain fantasy elements. Many people are shot in the film, but there are no visible wounds. There are a few instances of mild language, all brief.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byCountryMom27 June 12, 2010
Compared to most movies today, Star Wars is very mild. There are a few scenes that I remembered as scary (I saw it in the theaters when originally released in 1977 as a 6 year old). But watching it with our kids (4 & 6), they weren't frightened of Darth Vadar as I was. I think with an adult watching with the kids, the movies (IV-VI) are fine for children aged 5 and up (or very mature 4). The archtypes are clearly good or evil, which little ones love. The music is stirring, the storytelling wonderfully complex.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byH.E.Pennypacker March 29, 2011
Adult Written byGregory Nelson December 17, 2015

Very classic and life changing, but there's too much violence in one part.

It's the movie that started the moment that changed everything forever, it changed the world of cinema and creativity all because of the mind, or force, of a fella, George Lucas, but there's too much violence, especially on one scene, where the Death Star blew up planet Alderaan, Leia's planet, The destruction took the lives of billions of people, and it was already disturbing, even when Obi Wan, later killed by Darth Vader, told Luke that he felt the moment of billions of people screaming in terror, and then silence, it was such a scary moment for the WHOLE franchise, it was too violent for, in fact, anyone at any age, Revenge of the Sith was already PG-13 because of the disturbing images, one of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader burning up on the planet Mustafar, but they gave this one a PG rating? Why, How could a more violent movie be more suitable for children when a less violent movie is not? What is wrong with the concept of the minds of people in this world? This movie shouldn't have had that much violence, not for kids or teenagers.
Adult Written byFroHead May 9, 2010

One word describes this movie: Awesome

It is awesome. If you haven't seen it, see it soon! OK, so I am a bit of a Star Wars geek, have been since I was 10 or so. But it is awesome. As for good messages and role models... Obi Wan is a good teacher; Luke at first is a little whiny, but matures; Han at first seems selfish but does the right thing in the end; Leia is a princess but doesn't use that as an excuse to do nothing; heck, even R2 shows resilience and loyalty to a good cause. The main good message is that we should fight for what is right no matter how hopeless it seems. Good will triumph in the end.
Adult Written byryanasaurus0077 December 18, 2011

A good stepping stone for a very young movie lover

Let's face it: this is the ultimate sci-fi Western as if long before Italy brought us its own gritty take on the Wild West. Clear moralities are present, as the good guys wear white and, as Phil Anselmo once put it, the bad guys wear black; there's a bunch of duels going on (both with laser guns and laser SWORDS, hereafter referred to in this review by their proper name, lightsabers), with casualties on both sides; and it pays homage to a Kurosawa film. Two, actually; there's its main inspiration, The Hidden Fortress, and then there's a scene inspired by Yojimbo. Notice the coincidences: Obi-Wan, originally supposed to be played by the great Toshiro Mifune, slashes a bar punk's arm off in Star Wars, and a character actually played by Toshiro Mifune dismembers at least a couple of people in one attack (though at least he's polite enough to warn them that "it'll hurt") in Yojimbo. The Galactic Empire's use of the Death Star on Alderaan is sure to frighten some younger viewers, especially after it's stated that Tarkin would commit genocide if he followed through with the attack (which he does; small wonder his fanbase is sparse, if existent), and Vader's duel against Obi-Wan shows how noble Obi-Wan is in his last fight; unlike most other Jedi, who are usually burned in funeral pyres (as seen in I and VI), Obi-Wan simply fades away the moment Vader's lightsaber starts to bisect him; we find out why in III. The film ends with the climactic Battle of Yavin, in which our heroes (specifically Luke) destroy the Death Star before it can claim any more innocent lives so senselessly. Other than Luke discovering his home's been destroyed and his aunt and uncle killed by Imperial Stormtroopers (who later, and rather jarringly as a direct result of this and other earlier incidents, show their famous incompetence at firing a blaster; I'm not kidding, they're such bad shots there's a theoretical school for lousy marksmen that's named after them and it's called the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy), this could probably pass for a G rating (and yes, there's a few G-rated movies out there with the profanity level of this; and there's four swear words in all, all mild and half spoken by Han Solo, with one each attributed to Obi-Wan, of all people, and Owen Lars). A true classic!
Parent Written byfirelegend December 25, 2015

A classic

So it's easy to say this movie is okay for 7+ as the site currently says, because the tv version sometimes comes on and is edited. My 8yo and I tried to watch this and she was very upset by the part in the beginning in which Obi Wan cuts off someone's arm. its pretty disturbing, and I forgot it ever even happened (in the cantina). Make sure you watch an edited version with a 7+, the orignal version includes the arm part and I think is more violent then what was in The Force Awakens (which is marked as 10+ on the site currently).
Adult Written byfonzieg April 4, 2015

A fun adventure for the entire family, it filmmaking GOLD!

It's full of exciting space battles, fun and interesting characters, and the villain is awesome! Kids will love it, and adults who saw it as a kid will still love it!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bydtsa78cfgs9rovw September 18, 2011

this and episode three are the only ones worth watching.......

this was a great sci-fi flick. other than some uses of dam and hell, some drinking at a cantina, some sci-fi violence including blaster fights,and lightsaber duels, and a rather tragic scene were luke finds his aunt and uncles burning carcases, this movie is appropriate for ages 5 and up, great film but skip the sequels they suck.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byKefi306 January 12, 2010

Perfect for those who want adventure in space!

Love it! My children can watch this movie over and over. They have momorized every line from it. It is so addicting, you can't get enough, so you will buy all 6 movies to get your fill.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTrebuchet June 28, 2010

Fun to watch with your kids

This movie is probably fine for most 5-year-olds, though we sent our daughter out of the room and fast forwarded through the part where Luke returns to find his aunt and uncle murdered and their farm burned. My daughter loved it at age 5, as well as episodes V and VI (though she had a few criticisms of those, mostly character flaws she didn't like). I'm surprised at the reviews that say other little kids found it boring or confusing, but that's why you have to know your kids. I did have to explain what a smuggler was, and a bounty hunter, but the rest made sense to her. As long as you watch with them, and are ready to turn it off if it isn't well received, I see no problem with giving this movie a try with a 5-year-old.
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written bypollyannasunshine June 13, 2010

confusing and boring for younger kids

I rented this for my almost 5-year old and his almost-6 cousin, because they know the characters from the toys and their friends. While neither of them found it too scary, they were mostly just bored. For the first 45 minutes, they did nothing but ask me to explain what was going on. My son eventually wandered off to find something better to do. My nephew stuck it out till the end, but clearly about 90% of it went straight over his head. His summary? "Too much talking." He actually likes many very talky shows, but the talk in this, and most of the action is just at a level that a kid under 8 or 10 can barely comprehend, let alone appreciate.
Parent Written byMurphy04 December 8, 2015
Great movie positive messages great characters but a bit violent in places.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2010

Amazing for kids 9+

I loved this! My sister and I watched it and love it. We skipped over some of the more gruesome parts: Darth Vader choking a man, the burnt bodies, and the alien losing a limb when he tries to hurt Luke Skywalker. I think this is fine for kids nine and up as the neat special effects aren't so new nowadays, they'll be used to seeing monsters blown up. I did find the Galactic Empire blowing up an INHABITED planet a little creepy, but as all you see is a big bang and some big smoke clouds it isn't too bad. Both boys and girls should like this as Princess Leia is a really strong female character.
Kid, 9 years old March 5, 2010

good but watch out for the violence

It is pretty good. The only violence that concerned me was the part where a aliens limb is choped off (blood is shown). The first time i heard a bad word I thought I was just thinking that i was hearing thing, but after a few more I was surprised. The language includes he** d**m and there might have been more.