All member reviews for Stargate

Teen, 14 years old Written bygaming4people October 17, 2010

The TV series is 5 star.

good to watch before the TV series. Its a heck of a lot better
Teen, 13 years old Written byorangetiger June 14, 2011

A worthwhile film

This was a great movie. It was exciting, but encouraged creativity. It was overall something you should see.

Grate Movie!!!

I love this movie, but the TV show, StarGate SG:1, is better, because it's lounger.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 15, 2012

Bizarre cult classic of sorts is awful to sit through

Roland Emmerich's 1994 cult science-fiction film, Stargate, has spawned a large amount of television shows, sci-fi fans and marketing, not unlike a slightly low-grade and more underground version of Star Trek, but with none of it's likability, originality, cleverness, entertainment and most of all, enjoyabillity. Okay, so maybe I am not talking about the entire Stargate franchise overall, as a whole, but I am most certainly talking about the film that did start it off. Now, even though I mentioned that it has no originality, when you really get down to it, though, the first few scenes of the movie send up a slight anticipation of sorts, as a ark-like gateway to another dimensional planet is found, and that a group of scientists and marines but journey inwards into it, to discover the lifeforms within. Sounds intriguing at first, but once they are in, all enjoyment of the film is lost. Honestly, i really shouldn't be knocking this film considering it is a much loved cult film, and that I myself enjoy many, many cult films, too, but I just couldn't stand this movie. it really was much like pure torture sitting through this drivel. The so called "aliens" in the film are pretty much just a mix between Egyptian pharaohs and some really goofy natives. All of the native characters in the film are-I have no intention of making this sound racist, I am only referring to the characters in the movie-are annoying almost immediately. There really isn't a likable character in the movie, but if I had to chose my favorites, it would of course be the only two that get a single lick of back story or favorites for, which would be Kurt Russel and David Spader's characters in the film, and they are the only remotely entertaining characters, or parts, even, of this whole movie. I don't mean to be harsh, but I really did rather detest this one. So, considering the fact that this film is Rated PG-13, it really is actually pretty tame, considering the rating that it has been given: There is frequent but very tame sci-fi violence and action, with several battles, gunfights, shootings and many, many killings, but all of it is very unrealistic, tame, goofy and borderline laughable. Also, there is a very brief scene of implied sexual content and nudity, but it is halted abruptly and never returns.And, finally, there is frequent but very average profanity, including several uses each of sh-t, d-mn, h-ll, cr-p, a--, a--h-le, g-dd-mn and more. So, Stargate may be a much loved sci-fi cult classic, but I just never really could get into it, at all. oh well. Here is another one for the fans.